Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:51:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Gwent 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gwent  (Read 14769 times)
hal1
Terracotta Army

on: November 03, 2016, 03:18:19 PM

So this is the game from the Witcher 3 except it isn't. It's being rethought and a lot of you tube content is saying it's the best card game ever. It's windows 10 only (on pc) and I am running windows7 although I have 3 ish copy's of windows 10 here. So catch some you tube vids and see what you think. It is a simple to learn impossible to master kinda thing. I just thought a thread should be made on it. Beta does not seem to be hard to get into. But again until I upgrade my operating system I am just watching from the outside. It is making me think about what I want to do just because it looks to be that fun. And the devs are the witcher devs and they have a track record of doing good work.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 03:30:22 PM by hal1 »
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 03:19:13 PM

Youtube is typically one word.

I think this has been discussed in other threads. Its own thread can't hurt.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 03:49:44 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
hal1
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 03:38:02 PM

Thanks but the damn spell checker only excepts the way I spelled it. I have been getting riped for spelling on this message board for decades on my spelling. So I try to use the spell checker. I thought it deserved it's own thread as I am considering buying upgrading or just changing operating systems just to try to play this.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 03:47:06 PM

Youtube is typically one word.

I think this has been discussed in other threads. It's own thread can't hurt.
Uh, actually, it's "YouTube" with a capital T.

Also, "Its".
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 03:49:11 PM

Well played.

Jerk.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
hal1
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 04:03:20 PM

Its is a contraction for it is so it gets a ' (i don't even know what to call it but it gets one). So it's not its.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 04:07:38 PM

No, in that situation it wasn't a contraction; it was possessive. "It is own thread can't hurt" is not what he was trying to say.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
hal1
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 04:15:21 PM

Ok. I've been owned. It is would make no sense in the context being discussed so I should have chose better words. Can we use this thread to discuss Gwent? Like please? 
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 01:24:13 AM

I have been getting riped for spelling on this message board for decades on my spelling.

It's ripped :D

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 02:03:13 AM

I have been getting riped for spelling on this message board for decades on my spelling.
It's ripped :D

Poor guy's going to straight up stab one of you someday, and I'm not testifying at the trial   why so serious?

As for Gwent, meh.  I know a lot of people who love it, but I have a really hard time caring about it more than the hundreds of other card games on Steam or mobile.  Not sure what makes it better than Magic or Hearthstone or whatever.  A lot of the affection seems to be from people who like The Witcher, which is fine, but I have no idea how appealing it is to people outside that circle.  It's like Star Trek nerds playing 3D chess: I'm sure it's a neat game, but I'm also pretty sure that if it wasn't for Spock nobody would be looking twice at it.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 02:19:00 AM by Kail »
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 02:46:13 AM

Also when the nerds sat down and wrote up the rules for 3d chess they realised that Kirk won by cheating, every time.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Hic sunt dracones.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 04, 2016, 03:51:41 AM

Decades?
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #12 on: November 04, 2016, 05:10:49 AM

0.3 decades plus his previous nick... so technically correct.
hal1
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 04, 2016, 05:51:14 AM

It has been a long time. Plus I am a pacifist so there is no danger.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 06:57:38 AM

I like Gwent, but for some reason I find it incredibly annoying that it took me five minutes of searching to find any reference at all to the game it was "based" on (mechanically, its a straight up rip-off)

"Condottiere" - great little card game my group often plays at the end of a night where there isn't time to start something big.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 04, 2016, 08:56:52 AM

Yeah Gwent is fine for what it was Witcher 3.  I suspect I would have to be making a very long list for 'best card games ever' before I wrote Gwent down though.  Hopefully the standalone version adds some more interesting mechanics otherwise I can't see the longevity.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #16 on: November 04, 2016, 10:51:58 AM

What are they going to name the new cards if every single on in Witcher 3 was based on someone Geralt knew personally or a monster he's fought?

If I had one nitpick about Witcher 3, it was probably that.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #17 on: November 04, 2016, 01:32:03 PM

Thanks but the damn spell checker only excepts the way I spelled it. I have been getting riped for spelling on this message board for decades on my spelling. So I try to use the spell checker. I thought it deserved it's own thread as I am considering buying upgrading or just changing operating systems just to try to play this.

You know, Hal, you have the option of adding all your typos to the dictionary so they don't get marked like "riped" up there.  That's what I do.  You also have the option not to care what these crazy people think.  I mostly very nearly always do that, too.  Never forget... they're crazy.  All of them.  Even Nebu.

Also, I like Gwent, too.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
hal1
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 04, 2016, 07:13:15 PM

Signe your understanding is like a cool breeze just blew through my window. But that's just  you are who you are here. About Gwent I have upgraded my operating system to windows 10 and signed up for the beta. And that's as far as that's gone. It isn't a trading card game or at least not yet. But there is a lot of youtube content that is a lot of fun and the game seems easy to learn but still interesting. I just thought it deserved a thread.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 08, 2016, 09:16:31 AM

Not sure if they're doing big waves or letting them trickle out, but my beta key just showed up in my email. Will report back soon (have not played any of the Witcher games, though).
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 08, 2016, 04:37:19 PM

So Hyustrider returns yet again?
hal1
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 08, 2016, 06:34:50 PM

So watching the trabucket strat. you buff and then gold them and then stick them to next hand. It can be beaten but you gotta try to beat this strat or you are hoseed.  It is beta and everything is able to change but for the moment. If want uber levels. Again I am not in the game yet but I have beeen following  You tube vids and this dominates.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 09, 2016, 07:52:07 PM

Yeah Gwent is fine for what it was Witcher 3.  I suspect I would have to be making a very long list for 'best card games ever' before I wrote Gwent down though.  Hopefully the standalone version adds some more interesting mechanics otherwise I can't see the longevity.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: November 11, 2016, 11:58:15 PM

Okay, put quite a few hours in and here are my impressions. If you're not familiar with the game, it works like this: both players draw a hand of 10 cards. Players take turns playing cards onto the board until nobody wants to play cards anymore. There is no resource mechanic; you can play any card on any turn (assuming it has valid targets). Whomever played the coolest cards wins the round. Then you draw a couple more cards, clear off the whole board, and repeat until somebody wins two rounds.

The good: Every round is a mindgame. Since you have a fixed amount of card draw that has to last you the whole game, most of the time you're trying to stay just ahead of your opponent without overcommitting. Frequently you'll do this even after you know that you can or can't win the round, in an attempt to bait out your opponent's stronger cards. Reading your opponent is very important so that you can cut your losses as soon as is prudent; wasting a single card will frequently cost you the game. Some cards will interact with your opponent's board, but there's no real creature combat and the game never ends without you getting a chance to play out your cards, so if you hate giving up free losses to aggro or combo decks in other games Gwent might appeal to you.

The bad: There's some swinginess which could stand to be designed out. The most obvious offender is the Monster faction ability that lets them hang on to a random unit at the end of each round, which can be negligible or crushing depending on which unit the RNG picks. Cards are categorized as Bronze, Silver, or Gold, and have corresponding power levels; unlike MtG or Hearthstone legendaries, there's usually no cost or tradeoff to playing a Gold card - they're just the best cards in the game. There's a hard limit on how many Gold and Silver cards you can have in a deck, but no guarantee that you'll ever draw them. This exacerbates the natural randomness of card draws in a frustrating way, since now you can quantify how much luckier your opponent was than you in terms of how many Gold cards they drew. In the long run it's not that big a deal, but it's a psychological pain point that I wish wasn't included.

There doesn't seem to be a ton of deck diversity right now and the intended card synergies seem kind of obvious. As far as I can tell the only decks are:
- Northern Realms decks that buff up huge troops and glue them to the board
- Monster decks that ruin your shit with weather
- Monster decks that clone a billion dudes
- Skellige decks that fill up their graveyard with cards and then lose
- Elfy Dwarfy decks that cast tons of spells and then lose

That said, there may be more diversity that I'm just not seeing, because...

The ugly:
While they will probably add new sources of game rewards before release, building up your card library is currently a pretty slow process, and the starter decks are awful. Remember those super powerful Gold cards? Your collection only starts with one and a deck can have up to four, so you're completely gimped until you grind out a ton of resources. There also doesn't appear to be any matchmaking yet, so you'll get stomped for most of this period. Also the UI is clunky, inconsistent, and painfully console-centric. It's not that bad once you get the hang of it, but it's never comfortable either.

I basically like the game and most of the rough edges can be smoothed out. My biggest concern is whether they can keep the meta interesting in the long term. Individual games are fun but get kind of samey and there aren't a lot of standout moments. Still, I appreciate that every game has hard decision points and there's not a lot of auto-piloting. If you're into card games it's worth the download.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 12:00:26 AM by ezrast »
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #24 on: February 06, 2017, 08:43:53 AM

Today's patch introduces the Nilfgaard faction:

https://playgwent.com/en/news

Also, judging from the news post on Febraury 3rd, Open Beta is coming very soon (end of this week, beginning of the next).

We’ve been in Closed Beta for quite a while now, and we are preparing for the next stage — Open Beta. This is why we’d like to tell you a bit more about how we plan to transition into Open Beta, and what that means for your in-game progress. We’d also like to tell you more about what you’re going to receive for your participation.

Many things have changed since we launched the Closed Beta of GWENT — we’ve introduced dozens of balance tweaks, added new mechanics, new premium versions of cards, implemented a ranking mode, and more.

Since Open Beta will mark a significant influx of new players, we want everyone to start on equal ground. That’s why we need to reset everyone’s card collection (fear not — we’ll give you back all the Kegs you purchased with real money!) and game progress (player level, Ore and Scraps).

However, we also want to reward you for the time you invested in helping us make GWENT better. And this means you’ll get to smash open some shiny new Kegs. Chances are, a lot!

Here’s what you’ll get:

Every Card Keg you purchased — we will return you the amount of Kegs you bought with real money.
Card Kegs for Player Levels — starting from level 5, you get 2 Kegs every 5 levels.
Card Kegs for your rank — 2 Kegs for each rank.
All end-season rewards.
All items granted as gifts from CD PROJEKT RED (like the gift premium Geralt card).

All in all, after everything’s done, you should have enough Kegs to make new great decks! Once again thank you for playing GWENT and making it better. We really appreciate it.

UPDATE: By end of next week, everyone who signed up in 2016 will receive GWENT beta access. We’ll be sending more invitations as we go.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Andstef

Email
Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 06:37:14 AM

I really enjoyed playing GWENT. This closed beta is closed only by its name cos actually they're sending invites to everybody now. I had a break from playing so I haven't seen new fraction yet, but I put big hope in this game - I believe it can actuallly a big competition for Hearthstone  this guy looks legit
Joe
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: April 11, 2017, 01:00:32 PM

I heard there's like 30 hours of Witcher story built into the game. Is this the case? Much as I like Gwent in small bursts, it doesn't seem worth the cost without more Geralt whore banging.
hal1
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 13, 2017, 05:18:08 PM

So, It is a free to play game. It is not a trading card game. But It is a collectible card game. So, it is still in closed beta. They just had there first tournament. I signed up for beta Nov 4. As I posted. I got in yesterday. I made a deck with the cards I had (and I dropped 20 dollars to get 15 kegs,  5 cards each). I got crushed. I was totally crushed. It is the first to win two and I lost the first and second round. I googled a net deck. I could not make it but I got as close as I could. It is a starter monster deck. I have now won 5 games. At 6 I will get lvl 2. The matchmaker seems fair as the highest lvl I have come up on was level 3 and I toasted him. So the open beta is soon. The guess is Monday but next week for sure. This is Cd project red (the witcher people. And they make good stuff). So soon anyone can enter for free and a really good game awaits. You need to know about this.
hal1
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 13, 2017, 05:46:34 PM

So, I typed that and then I logged in. I am now level 2. So you guys need to look at this if not play it. Ya it can be grind y and you do not get much for a loss. But a win does advance you. It is a fun game and the most strategic game I have played in recent history.
hal1
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 13, 2017, 06:45:58 PM

So I typed that and logged in again. And I crafted my second card in the game. So I can see how this is going. Winning at low levels is not that hard. I am a long ways from getting my newbie monster list. But as I do that I will approach an other level where monsters are not that hard to counter. It just is looking like a fun game to play.
hal1
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 17, 2017, 09:46:43 AM

Open beta is coming. Gwent will shut down may 22 and relaunch May 24 in open beta. Gwent is free to acquire and free to play. Just go to gog.com and make an account which is also free.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 17, 2017, 01:14:57 PM

C-C-C-C-C-C-OMBO BREAKER!

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schild
Administrator

Reply #32 on: May 17, 2017, 06:49:11 PM

Did hal1 have a stroke?
hal1
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 19, 2017, 08:14:35 PM

So reading the patch notes (witch are not final). It is a different game than the closed beta. It is a rock, paper, scissors kinda game. As  are all these card games  are. But its gonna be a lot closer than it was. Witch I am thinking is a good thing.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: June 04, 2017, 08:46:30 PM

For anyone that's still interested in this, it's a free download from GOG.  If you use GOG Galaxy, you get some bonus in game stuff AND a free copy of the Witcher 1.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Gwent  
Jump to: