Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:18:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Magnificent Seven 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Magnificent Seven  (Read 2662 times)
WayAbvPar

on: September 26, 2016, 08:17:01 PM

Hollywood has been out of idea for a long time, but this time they are remaking a remake of sorts. Trailer here- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-RBA0xoaWU

I have a 5 hour break between classes on Mondays, so I saw this today. I really enjoyed it. I am a fan of the Yul Brynner version, and loved Kurosawa's original (you really need to see this if you haven't already). Chris Pratt was charming and funny, Denzel was heroic Denzel with a shade of Training Day bad Denzel mixed in, and the supporting cast was good. I especially liked Haley Bennett, and not just because she was easy on the eyes and wore some no way in hell are they period appropriate necklines   my what do we have here? .Looking at her IMDB page, I have never seen her before this, which is a pity. Peter Sarsgaard is reasonably effective as the big bad, but the character was pretty cartoonish. He was like Deadwood's George Hearst without the subtlety and restraint.

Definitely entertaining, and 2+ hour run time was well used. Nothing groundbreaking or visionary, just a solid piece of cinematic entertainment. Extremely high body count (including at least one woman), but probably OK for 12 and up if you want to take the kids.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 06:04:01 AM

Not that I don't believe you, and I am interested in seeing this, but man that trailer was shit.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
WayAbvPar

Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 04:01:38 PM

The trailer is disjointed and terrible. The movie is better than that.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 06:22:15 PM

Just saw it and I agree, the movie's pretty good.

The biggest disappointment is it's shot like a modern blockbuster movie rather than a Western epic. Meaning tightened-up on the narrative-side and broader on the cinemetography. HUGE WESTERN VISTAS AND GUNFIGHTS - Shot through a 55mm lens.

Western gunfights should not have 1/2-body snap pans, goddamnit.

But yes, fun movie overall.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 09:28:22 PM

I sort of almost can't... because the Yul Brynner version is so good.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 07:30:13 AM

Western gunfights should not have 1/2-body snap pans, goddamnit.

Hate this so much. Lazy, incompetent cinematography in any genre.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 10:38:34 PM

Saw this tonight, good fun. I've never seen the original.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 06:56:49 PM

You might like it less when you do.

Especially if you go to Seven Samurai, the real original. That's totally great.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 08:27:08 PM

Saw this tonight, good fun. I've never seen the original.

The original is a real classic western, to the point that remaking it and having the kids think this version is The Magnificent Seven is kind of offensive to me and my childhood :)
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 09:35:11 AM

Yeah, the original is well worth watching.

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Magnificent Seven  
Jump to: