Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:09:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL 2016/2017 + World Cup of Hockey 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NHL 2016/2017 + World Cup of Hockey  (Read 48789 times)
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: April 21, 2017, 03:12:20 PM

Gotta imagine less than 10% of people got that right.

edit: NHL.com bracket has the stats, 86% Hawks. It beat 85% Capitals as the #1 favourite.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 03:15:07 PM by Speedy Cerviche »
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: April 21, 2017, 03:28:15 PM

For those who had some kind of playoff bracket going - do any of you still have one that's intact? The Preds sweeping CHI has to have screwed a lot of people, even if they didn't pick CHI to win it all.

So far I'm good in terms of winners, but not game #s due to the Pred/Hawks and the Sens/Bruins. In my league I had;

Ducks in 4 over Calgary, St. Louis in 6 over Minnesota, Oilers in 7 over San Jose, Preds in 6 over Hawks.

Pittsburgh in 4 over Columbus, Ottawa in 7 over Boston, New York in 7 over Montreal, Washington in 6 over Toronto.

Hawks aren't as good as they've been in the past (older, not as much depth -- and depth is what has given them success in prior years), and the Preds are actually a very good team that struggled a lot due to goal-tending. I wagered Rinne would pick it back up. Didn't expect the sweep, though.

So far I'm crushing my league, for obvious reasons (only one other guy in my league -- there's almost twenty of us -- had the Preds over the Hawks and he had them doing it in 7).

I am a little worried the Caps will blow it.. because, well, it is the Caps. That series is basically a coin flip; who fucks themselves more? Leafs are very good at fucking themselves over.. but so are the Caps (in the playoffs, at least).
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #37 on: April 21, 2017, 03:47:20 PM

Leafs are very good at fucking themselves over.. but so are the Caps (in the playoffs, at least).

The Sharks took fucking themselves over to a whole new level after last night.

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: April 22, 2017, 08:00:37 PM

Canadiens and Blackhawks are out. Can we eliminate the Penguins now?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: April 22, 2017, 08:44:55 PM

Canadiens and Blackhawks are out. Can we eliminate the Penguins now?

One can hope, but neither Toronto nor Washington is playing well enough to beat them currently.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #40 on: April 23, 2017, 08:42:13 AM

If someone wanted a decent bracket, you just needed to look at mine.

And then do the opposite.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: April 23, 2017, 07:20:55 PM

Ah.. Toronto is out, thankfully. I have nothing against the fans or team (well, fuck Kadri, the dirty little shit), but media coverage of the team makes them unbearable.

So, I got my entire first round bracket correct. Missed a few bonus points for not getting the number of games correct, though. Still, I feel I did fairly well. Right now, here's what I'd expect from the second round;

Oilers in 7 over the Ducks, Predators in 6 over the Blues.

Rangers in 6 over the Senators, Penguins in 5 over the Capitals.

Penguins always have the Caps' number in the playoffs, and the Caps are hand-cuffed by Shattenkirk. Senators deserve to lose for playing a boring trap style of game and I think Lundqvist is too dialed in right now. Predators are rolling, Rinne has finally returned to form and their defense is scary good. Oilers are the under-dogs, but I cannot ever pick Anaheim (except over teams I hate even more, like Calgary), and McDavid will be more free against them to score now that he's put one of the best defensive d-men behind him (Vlasic).
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: April 23, 2017, 08:56:27 PM

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: April 29, 2017, 05:28:35 PM

Man, the Avs and Canucks just got fucking hosed.  LoLottery. awesome, for real ACK! Facepalm
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: April 29, 2017, 05:55:34 PM

Lotto was glorious.

Hall proves he is the lucky charm of the NHL Lotto.

Oilers fucking over the Canucks because of the Oiler Rule is also hilarious. Canucks dropping from 2nd to 5th in a relatively weak draft class was perfect.

Draft pretty much went how I wanted it (I would have preferred another Eastern team getting the 3rd pick, but Dallas will do being a Central division team and a deeply flawed one at that). I had thought karma might kick in and finally give Buffalo a break, but nope.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: May 06, 2017, 12:35:52 AM

The NHL and refs have decided to prove the games are rigged, apparently.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #46 on: May 08, 2017, 07:06:32 AM

Nice to see Edmonton sticking with it and not blowing a lead.  Maybe I'll get my dream cup finals after all.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: May 11, 2017, 04:04:34 AM

Nashville, Ottawa, Pittsburgh and Anaheim.

Please stab me in the eye instead. Fuck Pittsburgh, Nashville? seriously? Go play some country music. Ottawa..No, just no. No team playing that boring ass system should win a cup. And Anaheim, who the fuck even plays on Anaheim? More boring than Ottawa.

Well at least we know the refs aren't under the orders of the league office in the NHL, cause even Bettman wouldn't be stupid enough to give us this final four bore.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: May 11, 2017, 06:23:15 AM

Man are you kidding? The western conf final is going to be great. Big Ryan Getzlaf is playing prime time hockey, both teams have deep and talented D corps.

I don't know about the East, I don't like Ottawa very much, I wouldn't say they were super defensive against the Rangers though, they gave up 19 goals in 6 games. Probably going to still be excellent hockey.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #49 on: May 11, 2017, 07:11:50 AM

Man, what a hater.

Meanwhile, it's still awesome being the only Penguins fan in the bar in DC when the Caps get eliminated.  Every year.
Strazos

Reply #50 on: May 11, 2017, 07:28:21 AM

Pretty much just rooting for NSH vs OTT now.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: May 11, 2017, 11:01:41 AM

Nashville I guess. Still can you imagine if they win the cup? What, 20k ppl would turn up to the parade? Fuck that.  I can't root for that tool Guy Boucher and the shit system of hockey his team plays. Karlsson is a fucking legend though.

Does anyone outside of Penguins fan actually like the Penguins? Go the Western conference or something.

Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: May 11, 2017, 11:44:22 AM

Nashville wins it all, imo. The way they are playing in the playoffs is far and above what any other team is doing. One of the two best crowds in the league, as well; thm and Edmonton, honestly. I'd edge Edmonton ahead due to the anthems, but noise level, participation.. not letting the other team's fans fill up your building (you know, like the Ducks -- even with a far amount of Oiler fans in attendance there were still empty seats every game).

Anaheim is always a wild card because they are very dirty and get away with it (even on face off violations that should be automatic penalties!). However, their goal tending and defense aren't that good if you can make them work. Any time the speed of the game got high against the Oilers the Ducks struggled mightily. Fuck the Ducks, though. Almost as much as the officials. Yes, I'm still bitter the Ducks got handed one game. 6 50-50 goals and 3 that out-right shouldn't have counted, during this series. Fucking officials. Too bad the Oilers fell short of winning 6 games in a 7 game series; 5 just wasn't enough.

Penguins probably go back to the Finals. Don't like the team, but respect their ability to win -- especially with a defense that bad (without Letang that d-group isn't that good).

Ottawa.. eh, if it weren't for Karlsson the team is done and dusted multiple times already. Love the player. 'meh' on the team. Plays boring hockey that only gets enjoyable when Karlsson decides he has to win them the game.
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #53 on: May 11, 2017, 12:26:55 PM

After another Penguins win over Washington I just won't be able to bear looking at my Facebook feed until after the cup finals. 

You have to hand it to the Pens, that game 7 was about as perfectly executed a game as I have ever seen:  perfect D matchups, perfect neutral zone trapping to protect a lead, Fleury making the key saves, and flawless clock management in the last half of the third period.

I've been watching Washington lose to Pittsburgh since at least the late 1980's, at least this time was not a) puking up a 3-1 series lead (happened twice in a three year span), or b) having Jagr and Lemieux with 90% of the scoring.

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: May 14, 2017, 05:16:03 PM

Man, what a hater.

Meanwhile, it's still awesome being the only Penguins fan in the bar in DC when the Caps get eliminated.  Every year.

As a fellow DC yinzer, I stopped going to deciding games after 2009. It's just not fun to be happy surrounded by justifiably sad people. My wife is a Buffalo fan, so I'm sympathetic to abused fanbases. To be fair, I was at the game the one time they beat us in 94.

Tomorrow night I'm going out with my Pens hoodie over my John Wall jersey to catch both games.  I'm anticipating some confused reactions  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: May 15, 2017, 10:48:19 AM

Well it was hardly pretty, but when your (supposed) heavy underdog needs a road win I'll take them any way they come.  awesome, for real

I fully expect a different game out of of Pittsburgh tonight. But if that's what they had then the injuries may have caught up to the Penguins.  That group sure looked slow for a team that on paper is clearly better up front.

The big problem Erik Karlsson presents is it's hard to match up vs. a guy eating 30 minutes a game. 

Nashville vs. Anaheim - wow that was a wild one.  Really not sure how that series is going to end.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #56 on: May 16, 2017, 08:45:41 AM

One series is very exciting and the other is about how much attrition the Penguins can suffer before the Senators bore them to death.  Glad Pittsburgh won yesterday, but how long are Hornqvist, Rust and Schultz out now?  When is Daley back?  They're going to have to send Matt Murray out on defense at this rate.

Also, lol DC.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: May 16, 2017, 10:29:09 AM

I don't know about that, the effectiveness of Ottawa's defensive scheme has really been overrated. Let's not forget that after a very tight game 1 against the Rangers, the Sens went on to give up 4 or more goals against in the next 5 games. They did bog down the Pens game 1, but that game 2 shoulda been a blowout.

Ottawa was very lucky to hold it to 0-0 for so long. The Pens dominated for large stretches getting a lot of grade A chances in the slot. Fleury had to come up with a decent game too obviously to hold a shutout, but the Pens were really taking to it to the Sens for stretches. The superiority of the Pens forward depth is evident.The Sens have talent up front too but got this far on the back of the all-world Karlsson playing 25-30 mins plus dramatic hero moments from the Pageau/Ryan duo putting on a career performance.
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: May 16, 2017, 12:10:13 PM

Sure they had their chances but I don't think Pens dominated at all. I expected way better out of them. Senators were dreadful however, squandering a chance to go up 2-0 by spending the 2nd half of that game protecting a lead they didn't have, and failing.  Guy Boucher was playing with the house's money, risked nothing, gained nothing.

Yeah they choked the life out of two roads games against a heavily favoured Penguins. Lots people getting hung up on a defensive scheme that haven't watched the last 2 rounds.  They can forecheck as hard as anybody as the last two (admittedly shitty) defenses learned.  Each injury on the Pens makes this series a little closer.
Strazos

Reply #59 on: May 16, 2017, 04:36:29 PM

Guy Boucher teams are terribly boring to watch.

Fuck the Pens, I think most people are just sick of them. But good on them, I guess, for parlaying good draft picks through tanking, into surprise picks that managed to pan out above expectations. Also, Fleury somehow deciding to be a good goaltender again, rather than a basketcase.

Go Preds.

Fear the Backstab!
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: May 17, 2017, 10:41:37 AM

The Pens were always going to be strong with Crosby & Malkin but they deserve some credit for getting back to the top by building up their depth with young talent picked up way outside of the top 5 of a draft. Sheary, Murray, Guentzal, Rust, etc. Previous to the emergence of these guys to fill up the top 9 (and jump in the net with a MAF collapse) they weren't going deep in the playoffs.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #61 on: May 17, 2017, 11:57:48 AM

Hornqvist, Rust and Schultz are all out tonight.  Daley is probably in.  Hmmmm......
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #62 on: May 18, 2017, 10:19:11 AM

Well, fuck.  On the bright side, Pittsburgh can now be eliminated on my birthday!
Strazos

Reply #63 on: May 18, 2017, 03:47:18 PM

And that also gives NSH a better chance of winning a cup, which would be great for Rinne and Subban.

Fear the Backstab!
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #64 on: May 19, 2017, 06:39:04 AM

I've watched more of the playoffs than ever because of Nashville, and their proximity to Atlanta. People down here are talking about how good they look.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #65 on: May 19, 2017, 10:03:03 PM

Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: May 21, 2017, 02:35:39 PM

Welp!  swamp poop

Off to game 6 we go

EDIT: Off to game 7 we go!  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 07:19:10 AM by Special J »
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #67 on: May 25, 2017, 09:20:30 PM

Kunitz!
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: May 29, 2017, 02:33:10 PM

Welp. Sens took the champs as far as possible. And once you're in 2OT it's pretty much a coin toss.

Not sure who I want to win the final. Probably Nashville.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #69 on: June 01, 2017, 10:43:17 AM

Nashville's politely fucked now. They would have to reel off 2 in a row to even have a whisper of a shot in this finals.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL 2016/2017 + World Cup of Hockey  
Jump to: