Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:29:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL 2016/2017 + World Cup of Hockey 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NHL 2016/2017 + World Cup of Hockey  (Read 49108 times)
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

on: September 08, 2016, 03:37:34 AM

Someone might as well get this thread started.

Anyone else at all excited about the World Cup this month? We'll see if I end up having a way to watch it from Egypt.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 06:58:54 AM

I really like the look of the US sweaters this go round. Were I not playing poker professionally right now I would totally pick one up.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 07:55:08 AM

I'm very much not excited for the World Cup. I still think it is a dumb idea, especially the timing. Right before the season? Ugh.

You just know some poor team is going to lose someone important to injury due to this money grab.

Also; Torts.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 08:22:16 AM

Better to lose a guy in training camp than February. Might've cost Ottawa a cup.

Never been a big fan of international tournies though, too much hype around single elimination games.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 07:14:24 AM

They lost most of my interest the moment it was clear that it wasn't an actual country vs country tourney. It will be a very fun to watch pre-season exhibition tournament, designed to make the NHL money, and that's how I'm treating it.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Strazos

Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 08:44:37 AM

I'm just happy there will be some good hockey to watch in September.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 12:26:31 PM

They lost most of my interest the moment it was clear that it wasn't an actual country vs country tourney. It will be a very fun to watch pre-season exhibition tournament, designed to make the NHL money, and that's how I'm treating it.

Although it makes the nationalist aspect a bit less formal, that under-23 NA team is SICK to watch.
Strazos

Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 03:45:12 AM

Is there any interest in starting our Fantasy league back up? I don't think we've done it for a year or two now, right?

Fear the Backstab!
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 06:55:01 AM

I could do it
WayAbvPar

Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 03:10:36 AM

I am not as connected to the NHL as I once was due to Jim Benning's Retard Circus, but I would be down to round out the numbers. Pretty sure trotski would play too. I will ping him.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 09:53:13 AM

Id be in for a Fantasy league!

Professional Forum Lurker.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 10:23:41 AM

Need more than four. Does a 6 player league work? I have never played one that low.

trotski
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 09:39:25 AM

Oh hells yes, I'm down for a fantasy league. It will help distract me from the dumpster fire the Canucks will be again this season.

Xbox live: trotski44
Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 03:46:21 PM

I'm sure we could get bunk in as well

Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 13, 2016, 09:11:51 AM

Click here to see Auston Matthews destroy the Sens in his first game: https://streamable.com/2yse

Clickbait title ftw! (but seriously, nice goal)

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 13, 2016, 10:21:23 AM

The Leafs should use their 2017 1st overall to get defencemen, and a goalie.
WayAbvPar

Reply #16 on: October 18, 2016, 12:27:21 PM

The Canucks are utterly unwatchable again. I have no idea how they scored 4 against Carolina- I would bet they won't score 4 goals most weeks this season. Their GM is Tommy Boy incarnate, and their genius coach started the player who led them in points during the 2nd half of last season on the fourth fucking line. They have the Sedins, Horvat, and that is IT. If they score 200 goals this season it will be a minor miracle. I pray that Benning gets fired before he can hand out more patently terrible contracts like he has to Sbisa, Dorsett, and Sutter. Hint- these aren't building blocks for a rebuild. They are role players at the very best (Sbisa is not even that- he is literally one of the worst defensemen in the league). I think you can rebuild with youth and still be semi-competitive if you use your salary cap on the right vets. This is the opposite of that.

Consensus seems to put them at around 65 points. That is probably a bit low given their start, but there is no chance they are breaking 80 points unless they find a way to clone 22 and 33 a few times.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 18, 2016, 01:50:11 PM

I still think Ryan Miller is a decent goalie, and he managed to dodge rule changes on oversized shoulder pads for another year, so that will help keep their GA down.

They also still have enough of their roster leftover from when they were a top team, which creates a legacy culture of an ingrained system and stability that prevents a total Edmonton/Toronto style dumpster fire of never ending suck.
WayAbvPar

Reply #18 on: October 18, 2016, 01:52:42 PM

Miller is decent at best. He is old and deteriorating quickly. Having to play behind excrement like Sbisa is probably not helping him much either. Going back to Luongo/Schneider, the Canucks have managed to make the exact wrong choice every time one presents itself in regards to goaltending (and most other things, for that matter).

Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 19, 2016, 01:40:35 PM

I don't really agree with your assessment. Are the Nucks a great team? no. But they aren't the dumpster fire that you make them out to be.
We still have a decent 1st line and our 3rd/4th aren't bad. I would definitely like to see more scoring from the 2nd but oh well.

While Benning has made some curious moves I thinks he has also made some pretty astute ones as well.

Here are some wins for us that I think most fans hated at the time:
- Shinkaruk for Granlund. Shin might never see regular nhl time let alone be a 20-30 goal scorer that so many nuck fans thought.
- Lack was never good enough to be a starter. He cant even take the starting job from Cam Ward for fucks sake.
- Getting anything for Bieksa was great. He is essentially done.
- The Gudbranson deal was a win for us IMO. 
- Jensen deal was a wash
- Baertschi was a win. We gave up a 2nd for a regular NHL body. The reality is that the vast majority of 2nd rounds never amount to much.

What I am seeing is that Benning and Linden know that they didn't really have a lot in the cupboard asset wise to begin with and are trying to win on a bunch of small moves which will eventually lead up to better assets.

Are some of the contracts suspect? Sure. But I am not certain what fans expect. If we don't pay these guys we are left with nothing and fans bitch. We pay them and we don't have any superstars and fans bitch. Looking at Sutter's 4.25 mil is kinda tough. That being said they know they can put him out there in any situation and not worry that we are gonna get punished for it.

Everything they are doing is to build up a base of nhl capable players and then look to the draft and prospects to start filling in the skill/scoring. In the pipeline we have a top tier forward prospect (Boeser), a top d prospect (Juolevi) and a top goalie prospect (Demko)

Would I rather be in Edmonton's situation? Of course, but we never had the luxury of all of those early (1st overall) picks.

Just my 2cents

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 21, 2016, 08:21:53 AM

The Canadiens look GOOD !!
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 24, 2016, 08:55:52 AM

The Canadiens look GOOD !!

The Bruins have been making them look good for the last 3 years, that's for sure. B's suck btw so don't get too excited.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 24, 2016, 10:08:02 AM

I posted that on Friday...

But yeah always fun to watch the Bruins go down. The 6 on 3 fail at the end was a nice touch.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 10:10:32 AM by Speedy Cerviche »
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 25, 2017, 07:38:52 AM

Looks like the recent outbreak of the mumps here in Canada has hit the Vancouver Canucks pretty hard with up to 5 players (Chris Tanev, Nikita Tryamkin, Mike Chaput Markus Granlund, Troy Stecher) either having the mumps or showing signs of having it and are quarantined because of it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/5-vancouver-canucks-sidelined-due-to-mumps-1.3998731
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 07:40:26 AM by Ginaz »
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 25, 2017, 10:43:18 PM

Oh man, and the Canucks were such a sure fire playoff team too...
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 26, 2017, 05:44:15 AM

Oh man, and the Canucks were such a sure fire playoff team too...

They probably weren't going to make the playoffs anyway but until recently they kept themselves in the hunt.  They've certainly done better than most people expected them to this season (Canucks were picked by many to finish dead last overall) but this is probably the final nail in the coffin, esp. with two of their top Dmen down with the mumps.  It's not like they had great organizational depth to begin with.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #26 on: February 27, 2017, 07:13:46 AM

Believe me, we are happy the quest to get demolished in the first round is now over. Now it just comes down to whether or not they can get any assets for their UFAs.

WayAbvPar

Reply #27 on: February 27, 2017, 05:06:46 PM

I would take the mumps in trade for Benning.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #28 on: February 28, 2017, 07:47:26 AM

Well, they just made a trade that everyone in the city is happy about. Burrows for Johnathon Dahlen (sp?). One of Ottawa's top prospects. We've put a stay on the Benning lynch mob for now.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #29 on: February 28, 2017, 08:47:43 AM

The Capitals picked up Kevin Shattenkirk.  Might be time for my adopted city to finally win the cup.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: February 28, 2017, 10:04:11 AM

On paper they look great. But I just don't think they have the mojo to get past the Penguins.

edit (If the Pens get their 3 injured D-man back)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 10:21:00 AM by Speedy Cerviche »
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #31 on: March 01, 2017, 09:00:20 AM

As a lifelong Penguins fan, that would be fantastic.  But I've spent so much time in DC that I'll happily settle for them winning a cup as well.
Strazos

Reply #32 on: April 09, 2017, 12:06:10 AM

Flyers sucked this year, even with a 10-game win streak. It seemed like they could compete with competitive teams, and then drop games to basement dwellers.

Oh well - DRAFT POSITION. why so serious?

Fear the Backstab!
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: April 10, 2017, 08:06:36 AM

I like the Canadiens chances against the Rangers. They always light up Lunqvist.
Strazos

Reply #34 on: April 21, 2017, 01:56:40 PM

For those who had some kind of playoff bracket going - do any of you still have one that's intact? The Preds sweeping CHI has to have screwed a lot of people, even if they didn't pick CHI to win it all.

Fear the Backstab!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL 2016/2017 + World Cup of Hockey  
Jump to: