Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:54:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Westworld 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Westworld  (Read 136070 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #245 on: December 06, 2016, 03:33:33 PM

Yeah.  Ok.  That was good.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #246 on: December 06, 2016, 03:47:56 PM

My only complaint is that they got Lili Simmons playing a whore on an HBO show and she's only in a single episode and doesn't even get naked.

I am the .00000001428%
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #247 on: December 07, 2016, 06:29:54 AM

She was literally only introduced in the second to last episode. I also appreciated the show showing me that Talulah Riley hasn't aged since St Trinians. There is certainly no lack of eye candy.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #248 on: December 07, 2016, 08:19:27 AM

Alas, when you think about the Maze storyline, it doesn't really work.   why so serious?

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: December 07, 2016, 08:28:49 AM

My biggest problem right now is that I feel like the entire season was a prequel for what follows, not the start of that story.  In other words, the real story starts in Season 2 and what came in Season 1 seems like it set the stage in a story that began and ended within Season 1. 

Hinted at cast changes, world changes, etc... seem to indicate we'll end up with a drastically different show next season... and I'm not so sure that it will be as good.  It looks like some of my favorite elements are now over.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #250 on: December 07, 2016, 08:29:04 AM

Alas, when you think about the Maze storyline, it doesn't really work.   why so serious?

The maze wasn't meant for you.  why so serious?

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: December 07, 2016, 08:31:59 AM

The maze wasn't meant for you.  why so serious?

why so serious? Bravo.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #252 on: December 07, 2016, 08:35:39 AM

It doesn't look like anything to me.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #253 on: December 07, 2016, 08:36:24 AM

My biggest problem right now is that I feel like the entire season was a prequel for what follows, not the start of that story.  In other words, the real story starts in Season 2 and what came in Season 1 seems like it set the stage in a story that began and ended within Season 1. 

I don't agree.  At all.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #254 on: December 07, 2016, 08:36:48 AM

The maze wasn't meant for you.  why so serious?

Heart

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #255 on: December 07, 2016, 08:54:58 AM

To expand past snarkiness, I think the maze itself wasn't the end goal or even the method. After all, to Arnold, it represented his emotional response to the death of his son but that was very personal. To the hosts, it was just a metaphor for their own internal journey about learning from your mistakes.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: December 07, 2016, 09:17:06 AM

Not what I mean. I mean the physical breadcrumbs that old William was following. No sense.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #257 on: December 07, 2016, 11:31:46 AM

Yeah, I'm not sure why Ford would put the symbol of the maze on the inside of Kissy's skull either.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: December 07, 2016, 11:42:35 AM

Yeah, that's part of what I'm saying.  And the wee girl with the Maze hint ?  Arnolds plan called her to be, er, dead.  Along with Arnold.

Makes no sense.

But It was great.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #259 on: December 07, 2016, 11:47:57 AM

I don't think it was Arnold - it was Ford. I think he knew that William was dead set on finding the maze and was stringing him along because just telling him "The maze is not for you" was only going to make him push harder. William was the one who attributed so much importance to it, was convinced that it was a hidden truth from Arnold. Which it was, but Arnold didn't put it in the park, Ford did, mostly to fuck with William.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: December 07, 2016, 11:55:34 AM

Maybe.  At least then it has a point.  I'll subscribe to that theory.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: December 07, 2016, 12:33:02 PM

She was literally only introduced in the second to last episode. I also appreciated the show showing me that Talulah Riley hasn't aged since St Trinians. There is certainly no lack of eye candy.

Unless I'm mis-remembering Talulah was the "greeter-bot" that guided William in his character generation tutorial ("pick a hat"), which was the second episode wasn't it?

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: December 07, 2016, 12:35:33 PM

I don't agree.  At all.

And I'd add, this is what a good cliffhanger looks like.

Dolores, Ford, Arnold/Bernard, William, and Maeve all resolved their stories. In doing so they set up another story.

Also I'm doubtful the next story will be the dramatic change of pace that the final episode superficially implied. Maeve and William trying to manage  the emergence within the context of the park sounds watchable though.

My only vague criticism is that the whole season could have been edited down a bit.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #263 on: December 07, 2016, 01:34:31 PM

I really loved that the guards were armed with the FN Herstal. Someone on set knows CGC submachine guns intimately.

I have never played WoW.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #264 on: December 07, 2016, 01:37:56 PM

Unless I'm mis-remembering Talulah was the "greeter-bot" that guided William in his character generation tutorial ("pick a hat"), which was the second episode wasn't it?

Replacement Clem was the one I was referring to as being introduced really late. Talulah did appear fairly early, but it was so brief I never noticed it was her until she came back later to tie things together.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #265 on: December 07, 2016, 03:27:49 PM

Prediction: Next season will be a prequel.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #266 on: December 08, 2016, 12:14:43 AM

Maybe.  At least then it has a point.  I'll subscribe to that theory.
Remember when Ford met with MiB at the graveyard, he told him "I tried to tell you the Maze wasn't for you."  To me, that means every single time one of the bots told him that phrase, or said anything else about it, it was Ford taking control and talking.  Ford loves telling a story after all, so I'm sure he couldn't resist playing along with the MiB even if it had no point.  Also, it got the MiB exactly to the spot Ford needed for his big reveal, in a way that means the MiB would take part instead of demanding he be left "undisturbed" somewhere out in the middle of the park.

Looking forward to Samurai World in the upcoming seasons.   awesome, for real

(though I'm not exactly sure how you make swords and arrows that only bruise a human but cut a robot in half).

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #267 on: December 08, 2016, 05:57:14 AM

(though I'm not exactly sure how you make swords and arrows that only bruise a human but cut a robot in half).

Make them rubber and make robots prone to rubber damage.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #268 on: December 08, 2016, 01:58:13 PM

The Westworld web site is doing some stuff with the Ask Aeden feature that gives some more insight into the finale.

When asked about the board coming to the gala:

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #269 on: December 15, 2016, 10:04:56 AM

I saw her bumping up aggression and pain tolerance, didn't see mortality.

It was "Mortality Response," I think.

Guess no need for spoiler tags anymore? Okay.

I just watched the whole thing again. Totally different show when you know you're actually getting to see Deloris' thirty year old memories play out while she's wandering around in a fugue state.

Before I watched it again I totally agreed that it was Ford guiding the MiB the whole way, co-opting Arnold's AI bootstrap maze symbolism for his own purposes. Now, I'm not so sure. Maybe ninety percent of the time, but Ford seemed honestly surprised and confused a couple of times when he himself uncovered the symbol somewhere. And I'm not so certain Ford was directing the Indians either. There seems to be some third (fourth? fifth?) party conspiracy going on here. Maybe Arnold did leave some other project ongoing, just in case his suicide-by-robot didn't get the park closed down as planned.

Thoughts on Samurai World -- I think we were given a glimpse on how the swords might work during Maeve and MiB's interaction. It looked like she had deeply slit his throat, but then the next scene shows him barely scratched. Some sort of memory metal I would think, designed to go dull at living skin contact, but to be sharp all other times. Then you just depend on the host's programming to make them pull the hit so as to not leave any severe damage.

I'm actually a little more confident in a good second season now, seeing as how many promising threads have still not been wrapped up. Not getting that "make it up as you go along" sense at all -- I think they might really have a cohesive storyline planned. Hope so.

But do we really have to wait two years? Some of these actors aren't getting any younger!
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: December 15, 2016, 04:05:08 PM

More like 14 months.

I am the .00000001428%
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #271 on: December 17, 2016, 01:05:09 PM

Spoiler for anyone who hasn't seen the final episode:

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #272 on: December 20, 2016, 10:33:30 AM

Started on this show over the weekend and I'm so fucking hooked.  It's hard to ration myself to one or two episodes a night.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #273 on: December 24, 2016, 09:57:46 AM

And finished!  I liked it.

Re: the hosts dropping cryptic hints about the maze -- my take is that some of the hosts in the fringes of the park have been able to retain more memories than the hosts in the Sweetwater area (who generally get more attention and more rollbacks), and have built a mystical religion around their insights.  It's made explicit that some of them have knowledge of the guys in hazmat suits and explain them as being from the afterlife.  So some of them might have found Dolores's maze (maybe Arnold embedded it deep in the core code of all the hosts, like the reveries, and Dolores was the first to be able to access it but never meant to be the only one) and incorporated it into their religion, and they know enough about it to know that it's not for the "newcomers".

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: December 24, 2016, 10:08:13 AM

Also works, I guess.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: January 19, 2017, 04:45:08 AM

Finished. And I liked it, quite a lot.

Last few episodes had to labour a few points but I guess that's the price of mass entertainment.

Interesting to see how they pivot for a second series.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #276 on: January 19, 2017, 02:43:15 PM

I think if you think carefully about Ford's words at the end of the last episode,

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #277 on: January 19, 2017, 03:03:24 PM

There is simply no way that these things would last 5 milliseconds against the real killer bots.  I can't stop thinking that ever time they throw inept human security teams at them.

Ruined the whole series for me.  Yes, I AM broken.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: January 19, 2017, 04:11:46 PM

There is simply no way that these things would last 5 milliseconds against the real killer bots.  I can't stop thinking that ever time they throw inept human security teams at them.

Ruined the whole series for me.  Yes, I AM broken.

Why are you trying to think of it as some realistic thing? Of course it breaks down in about 5 seconds in a thousand ways. Who cares?

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: January 19, 2017, 08:10:49 PM

I always turn off as soon as the credits roll, now I see something about post credit scene? Worth it?

« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 08:15:21 PM by lamaros »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Westworld  
Jump to: