Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:26:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: BladeRunner 2049 - The Movie 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BladeRunner 2049 - The Movie  (Read 36950 times)
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #105 on: October 11, 2017, 08:30:52 AM

I thought it was well worth the watch, if you can see it in Imax and don't you are screwing up. Still need a few more nights sleeping on it and of norcal not burning down to pull some more thoughts on it together.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #106 on: October 14, 2017, 07:08:12 PM

Worth a watch.  In some ways better than the first (more story), some ways less (less arresting, less novel).   Ana de Armas owned the film. 

Most amazing scene to me was the set with the two women "becoming one".
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #107 on: October 14, 2017, 10:04:10 PM

That was equal parts insane, disturbing, novel and amazing.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: October 15, 2017, 02:11:58 PM

I loved this movie. It's going to definitely become a once a year watch for me.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #109 on: October 17, 2017, 10:43:05 PM

I think I loved every single part of this except sound.  I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, but the echoey dialog was very difficult to catch, and that irritatingly loud shit separating a lot of scenes was just unnecessary.  I am, however, fully willing to chalk that up to the podunk Tennessee movie theater here.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
WayAbvPar

Reply #110 on: October 17, 2017, 10:59:06 PM

I saw it in an IMAX theater and it was goddamned deafening  why so serious?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #111 on: October 18, 2017, 04:56:09 AM

I've started taking earplugs with me to theaters. I like loud, but it's like they're catering to the deaf. Especially in Arizona, where I suspect it's so the dead and semi-dead can hear it.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #112 on: October 18, 2017, 05:18:01 AM

Not only are most movies loud but they're getting super obnoxious with whisper-dialog then BwwwWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA horns or explosions immediately afterward.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #113 on: October 18, 2017, 08:03:38 AM

As somebody who is now hearing impaired, I feel they don't pump the volume up near enough.   why so serious?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #114 on: October 18, 2017, 06:10:14 PM

Sound design was a weakness and the score was a major major weakness. It contributed greatly to the feeling that you were just on the verge of something that would plunge you back into the original movie and kept you thinking about the original movie way too much which was unneeded because the callbacks and story were fine and the new movie was good enough to stand and do its own thing.

While it wasn't the perfect film the only thing that really let down the other parts for me was the soundtrack. Though I could be talked into Leto's character being a weakness especially if you didn't watch the short films that bridged the new to the original.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: October 18, 2017, 06:54:44 PM

Why would we watch the short films?  We were supposed to do homework before going to the movie?  How much time do I need to invest before I find anything of value in Leto('s performance)?

If I need to see some online shit or read a comic before I enter the theater in order to get the movie, the movie is a failure.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #116 on: October 19, 2017, 05:45:13 PM

Why would we watch the short films?  We were supposed to do homework before going to the movie?  How much time do I need to invest before I find anything of value in Leto('s performance)?

If I need to see some online shit or read a comic before I enter the theater in order to get the movie, the movie is a failure.

Ohhhhh, I see.

Read what I wrote, I can accept that you didn't like his character and that's fine and while I had no major problem with it personally I allow for it not being the strongest bit. I even tried to be diplomatic and imagine that the short films that all dealt with him and his company helped me in that regard. That the movie was a failure because of that or any reason really just proves you have taste that is as bad as your posting style.

-William Gibson
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #117 on: October 20, 2017, 09:52:32 PM

Leto barely had any impact at all.  It sounds like you're just looking for an excuse to hate something he's in.

I expected more Leto in the film, honestly.  When he essentially compared himself to god, a couple huffy old people got up and left muttering about heresy or some shit.  That made everything worthwhile in my book.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #118 on: October 21, 2017, 09:29:53 AM

Frankly, as little as he was in the movie, it might've made more sense to have his replicant over-interpret his ideas and do all of the rest on her own, thinking that she was carrying out his will.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #119 on: October 21, 2017, 02:49:03 PM

I just saw this tonight and I am goddam overwhelmed. Like literally, I'm replaying parts of it in my head and it's hitting me in emotional ways.

I'll agree with the criticisms of the music, it wasn't bad music (Alien: Covenant, I'm looking at you) but I was definitely listening for callbacks to the Vangelis theme from the original and constantly being disappointed by the fact that they weren't there. Also, the music was almost permanently doing high-drama, danger music. Which is partly due to the very dense nature of the film with very limited pauses between plot beats, but it meant that it tended to undersell the truly suspenseful scenes as a result.

The plot was fine but this is a movie driven by characters and not by plot. It was coherent and the twists were genuinely good. I bought K being the child and was trying to figure out how to rationalise that, I realised it couldn't be rationalised so there had to be something else (mostly because I couldn't imagine how a known replicant with no serial numbers gets to be a Blade Runner). I didn't figure out that it was Stelline though until K and Deckard were talking after the fight.

Visuals were great. I liked the bleaker, colder visual design for this one. I liked the original's set design too, but this showed an evolution in fashions and also in the general environment that made sense to me given the 30 year gap in the timelines of the two. There were some nice callbacks such as Mariette having a similar look as Pris, the Tyrell buildng and the flying cars. Ridley Scott sure does like his mind-blowingly rich guys living in an austere Zen palace theme though.

It was a very long movie but I really didn't feel that it was padded at all, if anything I thought it was too dense, there were no pauses to let the viewer assimilate the latest plot beat. I didn't really get what Leto's character was doing either but he was clearly not on the same plane as everyone else so him being fairly inscrutable was fine. I think it would have been weaker if he'd had a mundane motivation that was laid out clearly.  He and Luv made a good nemesis I thought. Wallace as the guy who's playing a game you don't know the rules to, and Luv as his hyper-competent executor. I disagree with the statement that the villain was toothless. They demonstrated early on in the movie that they can do pretty much whatever they like up to and including murdering police officers inside a police facility. From the time that K first meets Luv, it was clear that these are not people to fuck with.

In the end though the film is more than just the characters progressing through the story. It opens questions and it made me think about the issues raised in the film. It's been a while since that happened - and the last time was also a Villeneuve movie (Arrival).

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #120 on: January 16, 2018, 05:12:58 PM

Just saw, first, raw and slightly drunk impressions, before reading the rest of the thread to avoid opinion-contamination:

Liked it
Felt different than Blade Runner, but that was to expected, not a negative thing
Actually the scenes it mimiced Blade Runner 1 too much were the weakers
The scenary starting with the Harris Ford part felt slightly too slick and "scenery for the scenery sakes" scence
Same about the ending, including bringing up the same music score
Strangly I felt Gosling was better in this than Ford.
Some of the twists and plot point points (and scences)  was a bit too telegraphed (or just too spelled out), like if the studio/writers didn't think too highly of the audiences mentally faculties.
As said before, generally liked the set piecing, especially at the start, which had a genuie Science-fiction-based-on-reality feel. The New-Tyrell-Corp settings were pushing it a bit.
I understand why they didn't use another old actor for New-Tyrell-Guy, (as it wouldnt work) but blind-Wallace felt too "try hard" and didn't work either. He didn't feel menacing or brillant

In a broader sense:

There was no real moral grey zone in the film. But I didn't need and it wasn't really the films fault either. It's pretty obvious there so Edit: no intrinsic difference between a human, an AI and replicant. Which why the entire idea of building "bilogicial-androids that think like humans" is a BAD IDEA and should have been obvious from the beginning. But that fault that origins with the first film really.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 06:49:14 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #121 on: January 16, 2018, 05:15:11 PM

In the end though the film is more than just the characters progressing through the story. It opens questions and it made me think about the issues raised in the film. It's been a while since that happened - and the last time was also a Villeneuve movie (Arrival).

What issues, if I may ask?

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: February 04, 2018, 07:31:22 PM

Watched this tonight.  It felt like it was trying too hard.  Gosling was good.

As someone that loved the original, I was quite underwhelmed. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: February 16, 2018, 10:10:12 AM

Just saw this.  Light years ahead of the original (which I thought was fairly bland and boring).  May be one of the be best sci-fi movies of the decade or more.  Had parts I didn’t really like, but man.  I’m not sure I’ve seen a more powerfully depressing film than this.  The whole last half/ending really made it.  Trying to sleep on this, but having a hard time getting it out of my head.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 10:47:19 PM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: February 16, 2018, 11:02:49 AM

I felt that not only was it better than the original, it was a better meditation on the themes of the Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep than the original was. Loved the cameos (Ford, for example, didn't phone it in like he did in the original) and the magnificent (if ridiculous) visuals.

Weakest part for me was Leto, but I'm not sure how he could have done the character justice. It needed an older man. A brilliant guy who totally revolutionized agriculture and revitalized a completely different company shouldn't be in his 40s. The archetype is wrong.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #125 on: February 16, 2018, 11:14:32 AM

Leto was clearly the weakest part because I'm sure the only direction he had was "Chew scenery" because his character was so underdeveloped and his motivations so odd and inscrutable, as well as just being dumb.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #126 on: February 16, 2018, 11:17:25 AM

Anthony Hopkins would have been perfect for that role.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: February 16, 2018, 12:06:49 PM

Oh sure, but any older scenery chewer with menace would have been better than Leto. Imagine the same role, the same performance even, performed by Geoffrey Rush, Peter Stormare or Udo Kier.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #128 on: February 18, 2018, 09:16:04 PM

this is the thread where f13 reached peak f13 is gobshit fucking insane when it comes to movies for me

-William Gibson
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #129 on: February 19, 2018, 07:27:07 PM

I like the original. I even own the box set with every version ever made. This film was so slow and terrible after what felt like the first 5 hours (90 mins) we turned it off.
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: February 19, 2018, 07:44:03 PM

I like the original. I even own the box set with every version ever made. This film was so slow and terrible after what felt like the first 5 hours (90 mins) we turned it off.

In what way is BR2049 slower and more tedious than Blade Runner classic? 

I mean, other than the Jared Leto scenes.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: February 19, 2018, 09:35:37 PM

In all the ways.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #132 on: February 20, 2018, 06:46:55 AM

In all the ways.
What he said.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: February 20, 2018, 09:37:13 AM

That’s a pretty amazing observation for me, but the internet has shown me a long time ago that this world has a very diverse spread of opinions.   why so serious?

I thought the original movie may be one of the most boring and uncaptivatving ‘not-total-shit’ films ever made.  Acting was bad, almost zero action, zero character or plot development, ect.  It has some great style, but both the original time I watched it, and when I rewatched it ahead of the sequel, I had to struggle to stay awake or keep interest.

Now, in that regard, this film is a perfect sequel.  It has a lot of long drawn out shots of dystopian dread, with heavy music and amazing scenery, at a slow pace.  So its a perfect sequel, and I can see why some might not like it for that reason (similar issues to the original shit movie).  But on every level, be it writing, acting, directing, cinematography.... I felt it was superior.  It was a thousand times more intellectual and philosophically hard hitting than the original, and as pxib stated, did a better job of hitting the original themes of the story.  The pacing was way better, and drew me into the movie.  The evolution of emotions of the main character trying to deal with his situation, between all the predudice and hate, and how what he thinks are life changing revelations changed him, was nothing short of perfect.  Mind you, I like depressing movies, and I can think of very few movies where the main character ends the film where he has had so much fucked up shit done to him mentally as this film did, and I’d almost certainly be killing myself.  It is just a perfectly bleak ending.

So, I can totally understand why many wouldn’t like this movie because of its slow place or far to heavy bleakness..... I have a hard time understanding how you could like the original and not this.  Because man, even after multiple viewings, the original........ was not a very good movie I felt.

-Stephen Colbert
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: February 20, 2018, 09:39:48 AM

What he said.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #135 on: February 20, 2018, 09:52:26 AM

I thought the original movie may be one of the most boring and uncaptivatving ‘not-total-shit’ films ever made.  Acting was bad, almost zero action, zero character or plot development, ect.  It has some great style, but both the original time I watched it, and when I rewatched it ahead of the sequel, I had to struggle to stay awake or keep interest.

PHILISTINE! UNCLEAN! UNBELIEVER!

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: February 20, 2018, 11:44:12 AM

So, I can totally understand why many wouldn’t like this movie because of its slow place or far to heavy bleakness..... I have a hard time understanding how you could like the original and not this.  Because man, even after multiple viewings, the original........ was not a very good movie I felt.

Like the first Star Wars, the film is intertwined with nostalgia.  It's hard to separate the two objectively.  When you have fond personal memories of an era associated with an original, it's natural to have inflated expectations of a sequel no matter how irrational those expectations may be. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #137 on: February 20, 2018, 12:31:50 PM

I did not see the original Blade Runner until the early '90's and wasn't really even into cyberpunk as a genre until then either. It being awesome has nothing to do with nostalgia - it's just a well-put together visual masterpiece. The acting being what it is has always seemed to be very intentional to me, and likely was meant to be contrasted with the inner monologue that was removed in later cuts of the film.

2049 had decent performances - Gosling and Ana De Armas being the highlights. I actually felt like Harrison Ford phoned it in but I also felt his part in the story felt horribly tacked on, and that entire plot line about the replicant who can have babies was illogical and dragged the movie down. Gosling's interactions with De Armas as his virtual girlfriend and what that said about him and our own digitally-induced isolation was so much more powerful than the main plot. The ending was just lazy balls - both the baby reveal and the bleak "did he die on the steps" last shots. To me the real climax of the movie (see what I did there) was when he saw the giant JOI hologram and realized how alone he was.

In short, it would have been a much better movie if it didn't have to fall into the Blade Runner universe as a direct sequel to Decker's story.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: February 20, 2018, 02:05:33 PM

That’s a pretty amazing observation for me, but the internet has shown me a long time ago that this world has a very diverse spread of opinions.   why so serious?

Now, in that regard, this film is a perfect sequel.  It has a lot of long drawn out shots of dystopian dread, with heavy music and amazing scenery, at a slow pace.  So its a perfect sequel, and I can see why some might not like it for that reason (similar issues to the original shit movie).  But on every level, be it writing, acting, directing, cinematography.... I felt it was superior.  It was a thousand times more intellectual and philosophically hard hitting than the original, and as pxib stated, did a better job of hitting the original themes of the story.  The pacing was way better, and drew me into the movie.  The evolution of emotions of the main character trying to deal with his situation, between all the predudice and hate, and how what he thinks are life changing revelations changed him, was nothing short of perfect.  Mind you, I like depressing movies, and I can think of very few movies where the main character ends the film where he has had so much fucked up shit done to him mentally as this film did, and I’d almost certainly be killing myself.  It is just a perfectly bleak ending.

Im not a big fan of the original. It was ok.

I just think the sequel is worse.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #139 on: February 20, 2018, 09:54:43 PM

Yes, but can robots make babies?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: BladeRunner 2049 - The Movie  
Jump to: