Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:52:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2  (Read 28998 times)
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: May 12, 2017, 10:27:06 AM

Two more near random thoughts/observations about the movie:

Hasslehoff must have a great sense of humor,

and the Milano family still doesn't. Anybody notice that Starlord's ship wasn't named once? And it doesn't look like that ship is going to make it into the next movie...

I suspect the famously IP protective Milano clan threw a fit/wanted a lot of money for the name use. Wonder if they were even asked for the first movie?
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: May 13, 2017, 05:00:25 AM

What are you talking about? There's an attraction at Disney that's about to open where you get to ride in the Milano, and it's named that in all the promo literature, etc., you can still buy toy models of the Milano from the first movie, etc.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: May 13, 2017, 05:55:40 AM

Also, they did use the name in the film....

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: May 13, 2017, 07:26:43 AM

Also, they did use the name in the film....

This is why I tagged it "random thoughts observations/observations" and not "insider knowledge." I missed them using the name in the film  -- when was it?

And @Khaldun: But that is all from the first movie isn't it?

But yeah, this is just me idly speculating after only one viewing -- probably total rubbish.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: May 13, 2017, 10:13:38 AM

If there was any meaningful pressure from an IP holder, they wouldn't be using the name on anything going forward--including merchandise from the first movie. If they didn't get sued for use in the first movie, they have a clear path going forward. Wouldn't be any grounds to sue anyway--there's no sense of an implied endorsement from the naming of a spaceship in an imaginary comic-book movie. Now Hasselhoff, on the other hand, needed to give his blessing for this movie, but that's because he gets a nice little taste of money for it *and* likely brand value for his name going forward.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: May 13, 2017, 10:50:45 AM

If there was any meaningful pressure from an IP holder, they wouldn't be using the name on anything going forward--including merchandise from the first movie. If they didn't get sued for use in the first movie, they have a clear path going forward. Wouldn't be any grounds to sue anyway--there's no sense of an implied endorsement from the naming of a spaceship in an imaginary comic-book movie. Now Hasselhoff, on the other hand, needed to give his blessing for this movie, but that's because he gets a nice little taste of money for it *and* likely brand value for his name going forward.

So you're saying I'm just indulging myself in an elaborate and ultimately unlikely fantasy involving Alyssa Milano?

awesome, for real
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #76 on: May 13, 2017, 12:58:16 PM

You wouldn't be the first.  why so serious?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: May 13, 2017, 01:19:20 PM

I specifically remember them saying that Rocket would stay and fix The Milano.  It was named.  And not just that once.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: May 13, 2017, 06:56:29 PM

Interesting timing note: This story takes place around 4 months after GotG1 or both movies basically took place between Season 1 and 2 of Agents of Shield. There will be a four year gap for the characters between this movie and next year's Avengers flick.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: May 15, 2017, 07:51:39 AM

I specifically remember them saying that Rocket would stay and fix The Milano.  It was named.  And not just that once.

Yup rocket had some kinda nano repair gun and they seemed pretty sure rocket would be able to get it repaired and working again.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #80 on: May 15, 2017, 10:10:30 AM

I was actually really happy at them establishing that the Milano is apparently infinitely and easily fixable.  I hate the Star Trek thing of destroying the Enterprise in almost every movie so they can design a newer sexier one for the next movie.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: May 15, 2017, 10:24:17 AM

I definitely found the Milano to be prettier than whatever barge they were piloting there at the end. Wouldn't mind seeing it come back at all.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: May 15, 2017, 10:29:02 AM

You'd think they'd get tired of building a new star cruiser every couple of years.  Hell, given how long it probably takes to build one of those things, they probably have two or three in various stages of completion at all times, just to keep up.

Also, even without any sort of economy or what have you, at some point the use of resources to churn out star cruisers would put a dent in their ability to do something more useful.

Also, GotG2 is pretty good.  We all enjoyed it.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: May 15, 2017, 11:23:41 AM

As is maybe befitting a comic-book space universe, shit is pretty vague in the MCU and in Marvel Comics about distances, cost, etc.--the Guardians need to work to keep the ship going, we've seen that much, but it's not all that clear how much any of this stuff costs or how difficult it is to get fuel. Also not really clear how powerful or big any of the major empires, etc. are, which is also true in the comics. I think back in the Stan Lee everything-is-huge era, the Kree allegedly controlled an entire galaxy somewhere and the Skrulls controlled another galaxy somewhere, but I think they quietly backed off that because Lee and his early writers had no idea what the fuck they were talking about in terms of scale. (In the first issue of Nova, Marv Wolfman tried to have a ship that was as big as the planet Saturn orbit around Earth and yet not be visible to anyone on Earth or cause any issues with gravity. Um, no, Marv, really not.) 
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: May 18, 2017, 07:13:27 AM

Gunn just said that as far as he is concerned, Simon Williams being in the MCU and looking like Nathan Fillion is canon. It sounds like there are plans.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #85 on: May 18, 2017, 07:21:09 AM

No, it just means that as far as he's concerned that's the case. Fillion has a deleted cameo and shows up in multiple movie posters at a "Simon Williams Film Festival" n the Earth scenes as Williams.

http://imgur.com/a/ZTWeW#yIrl4iY

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: May 18, 2017, 07:33:51 AM

Read into it what you will. Not that we'll likely see a homecoming for Quill in the not too distant future.

As many of you know one of my best friends in the world is Nathan Fillion. Along with Michael Rooker and Gregg Henry he's been in every movie I've directed - even as a monstrous, perverted voice in Guardians of the Galaxy. I didn't have a good cameo for him in Vol. 2 - and I wanted to bring him more fully into the MCU at some point, so I didn't want to make him Aakon Guard #2, narrowing his chance of a more substantial role in the future. I really do love the character of Simon Williams/Wonder Man in the comics - a sometimes douchey actor/superhero - and could see Nathan clearly in that role (not because he's a douchebag but because he's great at playing one). But, of course, in a movie set 99.9% in space I didn't really have a place for him. So in a small flash to earth I decided to put a theater playing a "Simon Williams Film Festival," with six Simon Williams movie posters outside. Obviously, from the posters, he's had a run of B movies. Most of them in themselves are Easter eggs of some sort or another. Unfortunately, the small section of the scene where they appeared slowed down the movie and I had to cut the Easter eggs from the film (along with storefronts named after comic book luminaries Starlin, Mantlos, Annett and others). Equally a bummer was that a lot of people took photos of these posters on the day so suddenly every fan site was reporting that Nathan was playing Wonder Man in he movie. He was even the third-billed actor on IMDB!
So that's the full story. Nathan's only cameo in the movie ever were these posters. I'll post them all over the next few days.
And, yes, I think we can consider them canon for the MCU, and I hold onto hope that Simon Williams will rise again!![/ quote]
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 01:36:30 PM by jgsugden »

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: May 18, 2017, 05:24:38 PM

I love the news today that they
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: May 20, 2017, 07:43:04 PM

Went to see GOTG2 today on my own and absolutely loved it. I especially loved the opening credits sequence with Baby Groot dancing across that platform while everyone else was fighting. Overall, I really enjoyed the movie a lot and I'm glad I went to see it. All the little Easter eggs or cameos or whatever you want to call them in the ending credits were just great.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: May 21, 2017, 03:50:30 PM

Marvel really needs to throw bags of money at whoever is responsible for the Guardians soundtracks and get them to do every single Marvel movie coming out from now on.  It is absolutely disgusting how awesome the soundtracks for both movies are, and how badly they stomp the shit out of everything else.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #90 on: May 21, 2017, 04:46:11 PM

Marvel really needs to throw bags of money at whoever is responsible for the Guardians soundtracks and get them to do every single Marvel movie coming out from now on.  It is absolutely disgusting how awesome the soundtracks for both movies are, and how badly they stomp the shit out of everything else.

That'd be James Gunn.  I was reading a thing a while back about how when he proposed the soundtrack for the first Guardians movie, the studio pushed back initially because they thought a 90s soundtrack would have broader demographic appeal.   awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: May 21, 2017, 06:18:59 PM

sadly, Starlord has a Zune now, so we may end up with more "modern" shit in the next movie.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #92 on: May 21, 2017, 06:41:06 PM

This one fit even better. The "I'm Not In Love" opening of the first one killed me for various personal reasons, but the "Mr. Blue Sky" Baby Groot romp at the beginning of this one was utterly brilliant. And the use of "Lake Shore Drive" as they head out in the Milano fit perfectly. The only thing in recent memory that worked better for me was "Only Living Boy in New York" with the Sean Spicer montage on SNL a couple of weeks ago.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: May 21, 2017, 06:44:29 PM

The song they played (name escapes me at the moment) during the mano-a-mano faceoff between Peter and Ego was absolutely brilliant as well.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #94 on: May 22, 2017, 07:18:30 AM

The song they played (name escapes me at the moment) during the mano-a-mano faceoff between Peter and Ego was absolutely brilliant as well.

"The Chain", Fleetwood Mac.  I may have played that album on repeat all the next day.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: May 22, 2017, 03:13:19 PM

"Father and Sons" by Cat Stevens hit me.  Anyplace else it would not have registered with me, but when they used it there at the end.... like a punch.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #96 on: May 23, 2017, 04:18:19 PM

"The Chain", Fleetwood Mac.  I may have played that album on repeat all the next day.

Any excuse to listen to Rumours is a great excuse.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: May 23, 2017, 06:10:02 PM

The casting choice for Drax is excellent.  He's fantastic in that role.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: June 07, 2017, 11:59:00 AM

And with whatever tool rock was using it was rebuilding/growing the damaged parts of the ship. It sounded like they were all sure he could rebuild it but that it would just take some time to do it.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: June 08, 2017, 02:01:49 PM

And with whatever tool rock was using it was rebuilding/growing the damaged parts of the ship. It sounded like they were all sure he could rebuild it but that it would just take some time to do it.

Jeeze okay okay. I thought I admitted it was idle speculation fueled by bad memory and only one watchthrough. No need for the  Mob

Back ontopic: It's still a great movie.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: June 08, 2017, 02:18:05 PM

I thought it was interesting how Groot symbolized the unkillable patriarchy of the world, resurrected after the first show, and leaving root like penises everywhere.

Am I doing this right?

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: June 08, 2017, 03:36:56 PM

I thought it was interesting how Groot symbolized the unkillable patriarchy of the world, resurrected after the first show, and leaving root like penises everywhere.

Am I doing this right?

There's plenty of in depth talk about this movie already if you actually read the above posts.  Don't shit up other threads with non-existent SJW's from the WW one.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #102 on: June 08, 2017, 07:43:44 PM

I am Groot.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: June 08, 2017, 08:10:46 PM

Am I doing this right?

I think you confused Ego with Groot.
Brennik
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: August 08, 2017, 12:19:45 PM

The Blu-Ray etc. release commercial is... quite something: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MMMe1drnZY
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2  
Jump to: