Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:37:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Stranger Things 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stranger Things  (Read 37542 times)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #105 on: July 01, 2022, 11:48:51 AM

There were a few things I liked about the last couple seasons, but they were largely forgettable to me, and I always felt like the show would have been better as a one-off thing, ending after the first season. Having just finished season 4, I'm kinda glad they kept going.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #106 on: July 02, 2022, 03:27:00 PM

This season was definitely stronger than the last two, and I suspect it will be more memorable; I realized as this one started that I couldn't really tell you what happened in seasons 2 and 3 other than adding a couple of new characters.  Very curious where the story goes from here given the shift in the status quo.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #107 on: July 05, 2022, 05:40:40 PM

This season was definitely stronger than the last two, and I suspect it will be more memorable; I realized as this one started that I couldn't really tell you what happened in seasons 2 and 3 other than adding a couple of new characters.  Very curious where the story goes from here given the shift in the status quo.

I basically remember Max and the Mind Flayer getting introduced in Season 2, and Season 3 introducing Robin and Max's brother getting possessed or whatever. Oh, and Season 2 was the season Sean Astin was on I think.

Sounds like they're contemplating doing a bit of a time jump for the next season since all the kids have aged so much which would possibly bring them close to 1990. They also just said it will be a shorter season without the ramp up of previous seasons since they've already got the threat set up.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: July 05, 2022, 05:46:56 PM

The way they ended the season a time skip makes very little sense.

I am the .00000001428%
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #109 on: July 05, 2022, 05:53:00 PM

The way they ended the season a time skip makes very little sense.
Open: A visibly, older, weary, and worn Eleven opens the door to the bunker in Utah. Glancing behind her at the red lightning of the Upside Down's influence, now spread nearly a thousand miles, she sighs and closes the door.

Done, time skipped

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #110 on: July 05, 2022, 08:17:28 PM

Yeah, while season 4 ended with a sense of urgency there are ways to do a time jump if that's the direction they ultimately decided on. Either our heroes have been fighting a losing battle for a few years or at least a stalemate. They've gotten pretty lucky in every season so far to find ways of stopping the immediate threat each time, especially considering it's generally been a group of kids and teens with a few adults mixed in going up against other-dimensional evil, and occasionally Russians and the military. It's maybe not out of the realm of possibility that they find putting a more final stop to Venca and the Mind Flayer to be a longer fight than they've been used to.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: July 06, 2022, 08:37:48 AM

I basically remember Max and the Mind Flayer getting introduced in Season 2, and Season 3 introducing Robin and Max's brother getting possessed or whatever. Oh, and Season 2 was the season Sean Astin was on I think.

Sounds like they're contemplating doing a bit of a time jump for the next season since all the kids have aged so much which would possibly bring them close to 1990. They also just said it will be a shorter season without the ramp up of previous seasons since they've already got the threat set up.

Season 2: Steve becomes a single mother. Internet realizes Nancy is not worthy of Steve. Max comes to town. Billy bullies and beats up Steve cementing him as a new human bully. Mind flayer intro. Lucas acts like a dick off and on.

Season 3: Billy gets possessed and actually gets a bit of humanizing backstory. Russians invade the mall. Steve befriends Robin and shows he's way more mature than an 80s teen boy by accepting her when she comes out to him. Hopper acts like a dick for a lot of the season. Eleven and Hopper grow closer until he "dies". The Neverending Story moment is huge for a few weeks.

As for a time skip, it makes sense on multiple levels. It'll help with the aging actors. It'll give them an excuse to say "Eleven has been training." It'll also allow two major characters to heal.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #112 on: July 06, 2022, 08:40:00 AM

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #113 on: July 22, 2022, 09:42:24 PM

This was definitely a stronger season than the last 2. I do hate

but otherwise a strong entry to the series. It also made me rediscover both Kate Bush and Siouxsie and the Banshees so that's good.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #114 on: July 23, 2022, 06:02:19 AM

I didn't even make it thru the first 4 episodes. For me it felt like the season was written after watching every after school special in the 80s and basing it entirely on that. I stopped after the 14 year old kids were told they were the ones that had the best chance to save Hawkins. Too far a break for me. I enjoyed the first season enough but everything after just didn't do it for me.

Contrast that with Umbrella academy which I enjoyed each season. Probably has to do with the actors in each show but also the writing just felt effortless in Umbrella and stretched for Stranger Things.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #115 on: July 23, 2022, 07:04:24 PM

I'm the complete opposite I didn't make it thru the first season of Umbrella, got super bored when there wasn't fighting on the screen. Cared not one iota for the mystery or the characters. Not that Stranger Things is amazing or anything but at least its rather fun and SO will watch with me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Stranger Things  
Jump to: