Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:47:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Pokemon GO 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pokemon GO  (Read 90011 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #105 on: July 16, 2016, 02:53:47 PM

Nintendo stock is up 90%+

Is there a way to spend money in Pokemongo that is somehow going to get funneled back to Nintendo or do investors just not understand games? Or in this case, non-games?

This entire phenomenon, and that's exactly what it is, is completely beyond me.

They get some sort of residuals on top of the licence maybe. The app has your usual F2P microtrans built in for the whales and catasses.  Normal joes can play for free without worrying about that though.  So yes investors know nothing by of games.

This shouldn't surprise you. They're the first type of person to roll eyes and call you a man child for playing rather than drinking and watching a sport like a REAL adult.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #106 on: July 16, 2016, 03:04:47 PM

Is there a way to spend money in Pokemongo that is somehow going to get funneled back to Nintendo or do investors just not understand games? Or in this case, non-games?

The game does have in-app purchases but the portion of that going to Nintendo is likely small. Current estimates are around 10% - 20%. E.g. one likely breakdown of each purchase is:

Apple/Google 30%, Niantic 30%, The Pokémon Company 30%, Nintendo 10%

Nintendo owns 1/3 of The Pokémon Company so presumably some portion of the revenue going to The Pokémon Company eventually gets back to Nintendo. Nintendo also invested in Niantic but it's not known right now if they are getting a direct revenue stream from the game from their investment in Niantic.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: July 16, 2016, 03:10:51 PM

Didn't Apple lower their cut to something like 15% recently?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #108 on: July 16, 2016, 03:40:35 PM

Only for long-term subscription purchases (1 year or greater).
patience
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: July 16, 2016, 05:30:25 PM

They get some sort of residuals on top of the licence maybe. The app has your usual F2P microtrans built in for the whales and catasses.  Normal joes can play for free without worrying about that though.  So yes investors know nothing by of games.

This shouldn't surprise you. They're the first type of person to roll eyes and call you a man child for playing rather than drinking and watching a sport like a REAL adult.

What should surprise you is that Pokemon Go doesn't rely on whales. The game has been earning most of its revenue from small time spenders. Iwata I believe said a few years ago one of the things he didn't like about mobile gaming was the whale catching revenue model. He wanted more mobile games to encourage everyone in believing that a game is worth paying for and Niantic has succeeded in making that game for Nintendo. If it was Iwatat it's a shame he isn't alive to serve out some crow to his detractors.

OP is assuming its somewhat of a design-goal of eve to make players happy.
this is however not the case.
schild
Administrator

Reply #110 on: July 16, 2016, 06:00:19 PM

He's not serving shit yet (well, if he weren't dead he wouldn't be). Let's see where the money comes from a year from now. Ingress was one third of an idea of a game and 100% of the success is in the word Pokemon. Neither Nintendo nor Niantic are relevant here other than one happens to have one third control of a property and the other knew how to reskin something.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: July 17, 2016, 07:59:36 AM

Yeah, I have to agree that if this was, say, Digimon, it would not be the phenomenon it is.

Hic sunt dracones.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #112 on: July 17, 2016, 11:31:59 AM

Yeah, I have to agree that if this was, say, Digimon, it would not be the phenomenon it is.

Blizzard needs to do their thing with this. They have pets in games already. Crossover with a Blizzard version of this that connects with rewards in other games.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: July 17, 2016, 12:20:13 PM

Too late.

The next ARG that will make money will have similar mechanics, but the "catch cute animals in the real world" niche is now 100% full, even if Blizz puts more polish on it.

schild
Administrator

Reply #114 on: July 17, 2016, 01:01:11 PM

Blizzard needs to do their thing with this. They have pets in games already. Crossover with a Blizzard version of this that connects with rewards in other games.

Blizzard can't penetrate this market. One is too many.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: July 17, 2016, 02:55:39 PM

But there are going to be attempted clones of this shit. Pay money for keys for boxes you find around the world. Bullshit keys for boxes have worked in MMOs and I can hear the dollar signs going off in peoples heads world wide. This has proven a new market stream and we will be knee deep in them next year.

Hic sunt dracones.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: July 17, 2016, 05:32:48 PM

The clones in this case will matter little, not at all, not in the least. This is brand name. The people turned on to ARG gameplay here are not going to jump ship just because someone else has a cute animal catch-em-all game. It will take a majorly different theme and a new set of hooks to move over people for whom this is a totally new kind of experience. Which very likely game developers and suits will not know how to do, any more than anyone knew what to do when The Sims got people to play games who didn't play games.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: July 17, 2016, 06:59:57 PM

It will be interesting to where this goes -- I'm not sure the whales/FTP from other mobile/PC games applies -- it seems there is a strong revenue stream from people that aren't even playing the game, paying for Lure Modules at Pokestops as local cafes, restaurants, coffee shops, pubs, etc. capitalize on increased foot traffic for a relatively small fee that they can make back tenfold (<$2 per hour for big bump in business seems like a small expense).

Maybe Niantic/Nintendo will roll out some sort of "pay to be a Pokestop" mechanism too, or maybe some arrangement where a business could *purchase* a right to be a "enhanced" Pokestop.

How that would affect gameplay IDK.

I keep hearing this isn't a "game", but all the server outages harkens me back to early MMO days ;)

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #118 on: July 18, 2016, 06:10:19 AM

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: July 18, 2016, 11:50:35 AM

I went out earlier and caught a load of common pokemon; I tried some gyms but just got roflstomped. What's the trick to levelling your dudes? Does everyone just pick one Pokemon and sink all their Stardust into them?

Levelling is important, but also, when it comes to gyms, CP isn't everything. If you look up the weaknesses of the guys in the gym, you can beat their Pokémon with a much lower CP guy. I smoked a gym yesterday that had two 1k Arcanines and a 900 flareon with a team of sub-500 ground guys and an 800 Vaporeon. Their attacks were "Not very effective" (1/2 damage) and mine were all "Super Effective" (double damage). As with most Pokémon games, Type is pretty important too.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: July 18, 2016, 12:28:32 PM

The battle mechanic is also pretty dumb--if you're willing to frantically tap away, you can often make up for a -300 CP or so disadvantage even if you don't have a type advantage of some kind.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #121 on: July 18, 2016, 01:03:57 PM

The battle mechanic is also pretty dumb--if you're willing to frantically tap away, you can often make up for a -300 CP or so disadvantage even if you don't have a type advantage of some kind.

Sorta true. But there are pokemon that are just flat out better. Vaporeon and snorlax are just flat out stronger. I repeatedly try to knock around a 835 vaporeon with my 844 jolteon and only won 2 out of 7 matches. And I tried the dodge, attack, dodge attack, etc. Also tried spam tapping. Super effective attacks routinely hit for the same or less than what he was hitting me with on his normal attacks. Even my special hit for less than his special and my pokemon is 'supposed' to be stronger against him. YMMV I guess.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #122 on: July 18, 2016, 01:59:38 PM

As for high CP pokemon? Heard the trick is to level up and get a naturally high pokemon and evolve that, then power it up if it is the last tier. Dunno though... I haven't tried it out yet.

Yes, this.

Capture everything you see, transfer the lower CP extras to get more candy, evolve when you can.  Capturing and evolving both get you XP.  The higher your level, the higher CP pokemon will spawn for you. 

As far as I can see there's very little point in wasting candy on "powering up" your guys because you'll inevitably find a wild one with higher CP after you've gained a few levels.  If you want to be able to compete for gyms (which is kinda pointless IMO because the mechanics are broken) just focus on grinding your levels.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #123 on: July 18, 2016, 11:52:01 PM

If you want to be able to compete for gyms (which is kinda pointless IMO because the mechanics are broken) just focus on grinding your levels.

The reason to compete for gyms is because they are the only non-cash way to get Pokecoins. And Pokecoins unlock stuff like more incubators and lures. Just dropping your Pokemon off at a gym of your team is worth 10 pokecoins.
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: July 19, 2016, 03:12:13 AM

Easiest way to take a gym is to stack vaporeons. Sadly, she is the easiest and strongest to get with great HP and water gun is insanely powered for her. If you can't beat em, join em.  awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: July 19, 2016, 04:47:22 AM

Yes, don't waste candy and stardust early on especially. I now have a cp 850 pidgeot, and that's not from powering it up. It's from catching a cp 275 pidgeot and having a million pidgey candies from catching a hundred of the fuckers, so insta-evolve to powerful. There's a few low-level pokies that jump a lot in particular--eevees, nidorans. If you get a high-CP one of those at its lower version, it'll jump big when you evolve it.

Basically the strongest things you'll see are usually 10km eggs that hatched. Those come out of the egg pretty strong and they come out with a big supply of candies and they're often relatively "low" in power when they come up, meaning they're cheap to power-up. I got a Lapras from a 10km egg that hatched at 850cp with 20 candies and was only 200 stardust to power up at first, so I jacked it quickly to 1040 cp.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: July 19, 2016, 09:49:47 AM

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: July 19, 2016, 03:43:23 PM

I wouldn't be a fan of roving idiots trespassing on my property, either.  We even got an official CANFORGEN (Canadian Forces General Order) today to watch for people roaming around in authorized areas of our bases and installations playing this.  It also mentioned to be aware of your surroundings should you decided to play yourself to avoid injuries.  Seriously.  Pokemon Go is now a threat to national security. Facepalm
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: July 20, 2016, 11:22:11 AM

A charity in Bosnia had to warn people not to wander into old mine fields the other day.

It's like people lose all common sense when they start playing this.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #129 on: July 20, 2016, 11:33:25 AM

A charity in Bosnia had to warn people not to wander into old mine fields the other day.

It's like people lose all common sense when they start playing this.

That's because they are being programmed to fight the Evil Power.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #130 on: July 20, 2016, 03:45:24 PM

Level 10, not sure this has legs.  It's very buggy and server gets slammed every afternoon.

It has been fun partnering with my 8 and 16 year old, though.  Easy digital excuse to bond.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: July 20, 2016, 07:49:21 PM

We are trying to have fun with it--my wife who never games at all likes it--but the server downtime and the times that the server is technically up but not really (like, your GPS position updates but nothing is "really" there on the map and you can't interact with anything) are so predominant that it feels stupid to say, "Hey, let's do a pokewalk". Odds are it'll just be a walk-walk, which is fine, but not the game. I am a little surprised that the company doesn't seem to be able to get on top of this even a little bit.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #132 on: July 20, 2016, 08:46:56 PM

Given the history of the games industry and the track record of 90% of tech companies who suddenly find themselves on the "hit" end of the hit-miss spectrum, you shouldn't be.

I'm more surprised there haven't been huge long-term outages rather than the frequent glitches and inability to juggle network traffic.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: July 20, 2016, 08:49:08 PM

I reinstalled because 1. I am weak and 2. the family was going downtown and I wanted to see if it was more fun downtown.

It was more fun downtown.  I went from just over level 4 to level 8 in about an hour or so.

Back in the suburbs, I'd bet it'll be weeks before I get to 10.  Or I could go back downtown for an hour and probably hit 10.

If the geocache data doesn't load, you can generally restart the app and it will show back up.

I'm still having trouble with non-interactive pokestops, and having the ball not go through rocking motions.  Lost a ? ? ? Drowzee that way.

I dunno, I have a 10km egg incubating, but it's all of 1.8 km right now, because I can't be bothered to leave the app running for half an hour plus to see maybe 4 pokemon and one pokestop.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: July 20, 2016, 10:25:36 PM

Yeah, I am enjoying the social aspects of this, but the technical aspects are an embarassing mess.  I can't run the thing in the background at all despite it utterly ravaging my batteries, I'm constantly running in to connection issues, even when it DOES connect I'm often not sure if it's really working because pokémon just show up randomly or they don't and I have no way of knowing if their absence is intentional or something has borked at some point again, I constantly get hangs and crashes, I'm running in to the stupidest glitch where the game only runs when I'm holding my phone upside down and cuts to a black screen when I turn it upright. 

I also have no idea when or if the "nearby pokémon" thing works or what it does (I've read a number of articles with conflicting explanations of the system) or if there's any way to track or hunt specific pokémon down, which is really getting annoying.  I have caught 73 pokémon, and 64 of them are normal type while another eight are Zubats.  In the actual games, different pokémon inhabit different areas and if you want a Pikachu or whatever you go over to where they are, but everywhere I've been in this city is just lousy with birds and rats and almost nothing else.  Which is an even bigger problem here because you need candies to level up and the only way to get candies is by catching more pokémon of the same type, so if I do manage to ever catch something rare, it's going to sit on my bench picking it's nose while my army of powered up rats wrecks faces.

I mean, it's a fun activity and all, hanging out with people in the sun, chatting and giving a shit about Bulbasaurs again, but I do wish it had been programmed by someone who knew how to make some kind of game.  It's not like timesink level-up treadmills with microtransactions are some weird untapped frontier on mobile phones or something.
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: July 21, 2016, 03:25:10 AM

My one glaring issue with this now is the 3 footprints bug. The main thrust of Pokemon to my knowledge has been "gotta catch em all." Yet, the main tracking ability that was working earlier on in the game, now doesn't work at all. It has become this walk around and maybe random pokemon will pop up. No one is hunting around anymore in my neighborhood because they can't. That nearby tracking screen? Ignore it. Good luck.

Niantic's silence on the issue is astounding. Not even a 'hey, we know about this and are working on it.' They have no community representation and zero communication outside of a few social tweets to people.

It's a shame really.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #136 on: July 21, 2016, 05:01:45 AM

PROTIP:

When evolving your Eevees, you can pick which one you get. Rename them prior to evolving, to the following:

Rainer : Vaporeon
Sparky: Jolteon
Pyro: Flareon

I'm 2 for 2 (Vaporeons of course) - worked for my son as well.

I work at a hospital and there are a lots of stops, people keep em lured a lot and it's pretty sweet. Nice for the kids too ;)

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #137 on: July 21, 2016, 05:04:57 AM

So me and the kids were hanging at the house last night and saw something on tracking that no one had - and my son identified it as a Venosaur. We started on foot trying to find it, but no luck. So I took the 4 kids on a family drive through the neighbor hood at a slow rate of speed. Never found ole Venosaur but we had an exciting little hunt. These kind of things make the game fun to me. The family walks, trips to the park, excitement of finding a rare one. Good stuff.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: July 21, 2016, 06:22:02 AM

So me and the kids were hanging at the house last night and saw something on tracking that no one had - and my son identified it as a Venosaur. We started on foot trying to find it, but no luck. So I took the 4 kids on a family drive through the neighbor hood at a slow rate of speed. Never found ole Venosaur but we had an exciting little hunt. These kind of things make the game fun to me. The family walks, trips to the park, excitement of finding a rare one. Good stuff.

Did that the first day they changed the maps and fucked up the tracking nearby. Haven't done it since because it's just a wild goose chase at this point. I'll start hunting again once Niantic gets its head out of its ass and realizes hunting pokemon is what made this a huge launch. Gyms are not overly exciting and pokestops are just supply nodes.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #139 on: July 21, 2016, 06:41:00 AM

Niantic's silence on the issue is astounding. Not even a 'hey, we know about this and are working on it.' They have no community representation and zero communication outside of a few social tweets to people.

It's a shame really.

It seems like Naiantic is the company that got the golden goose but rather than making the mistake of killing it was surprised it had to be fed, sheltered and kept away from foxes.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Pokemon GO  
Jump to: