Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:13:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Do It Again/Do It Right: Games We Want, 2016 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do It Again/Do It Right: Games We Want, 2016  (Read 19446 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #70 on: July 01, 2016, 06:44:14 PM

Was Darklands the excessively EuroJank one from Germany?

I think I know which game you're talking about. But for the life of me I can't remember the name.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #71 on: July 01, 2016, 06:50:50 PM

Oh come on assholes, you can get it on steam now.  I think this is before the era where we started calling shit Eurojank. tongue

http://store.steampowered.com/app/327930/

To this date it has one of the most original takes on fantasy RPG's I've ever seen.  The mechanics and setting were amazing.  I'd like to think a dedicated team could take what they started and do something amazing.  But most likely not.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #72 on: July 01, 2016, 06:52:17 PM

I don't think that's the game he's talking about. There was a remake about 4-6 years back that epitomized Eurojank. Pretty sure Sky loved it. Thought we had a thread about it, but couldn't find it.
schild
Administrator

Reply #73 on: July 01, 2016, 06:53:20 PM

DRAKENSANG!
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: July 01, 2016, 08:52:50 PM

I could have sworn that Gothic and Risen were the ones Sky usually went on about.  I've said good things about Drakensang in the past, although maybe not here.   I personally think the second one no one likely knows exists outdid the various Dragon Age games.  It was pretty light on the jank, although it was still burdened by the dark eye rules set.

edit:  relevant to the steam sales thread since they're also both really cheap right now, I could have sworn they'd gotten delisted at some point.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 08:55:31 PM by Ard »
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: July 01, 2016, 09:32:28 PM

Master of Magic.
Warlords.
Gold Box games.
Kohan.
Alpha Centauri.
Total Annihilation.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #76 on: July 01, 2016, 10:44:52 PM

Total Annihilation.
Been redone many times, none of them have really captured the original feel. But except for Supreme Commander, none had a decent budget, either. I've been playing Ashes of the Singularity, it's about the closest I have found.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: July 02, 2016, 08:01:07 AM

Master of Magic.
Warlords.
Gold Box games.
Kohan.
Alpha Centauri.
Total Annihilation.

Yes

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: July 02, 2016, 10:58:27 AM

I like Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance, it's my favorite newer Total Annihilation.  I've got Ashes of the Singularity on my wishlist, I'll probably get it at some point.
schild
Administrator

Reply #79 on: July 02, 2016, 11:24:17 AM

Gold Box games.

Was everything from Black Isle not enough? If not, what do you think that shit would even look like today.

On that note:
Age of Empires II.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: July 02, 2016, 08:30:59 PM

Why those guys at Firaxis *didn't* do Beyond Earth as Alpha Centauri 2 is profoundly puzzling to me. Why not, guys? Why farm it out to the interns and just do a mod of Civ 5? If it had really been Alpha Centauri 2, man...
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: July 03, 2016, 08:41:42 AM

I guess something like Icewind Dale?  Except better.  :P
WayAbvPar

Reply #82 on: July 03, 2016, 10:08:02 AM

Just a few off the top of my head-

Darklands
AutoDuel/Car Wars
Racing Destruction Set
Mail Order Monsters
6 Gun Shootout
A decent PC baseball game (Earl Weaver Baseball?)
ToEE and other classic AD&D modules done correctly
Master Of Magic (Planar Conquest is decent, but it could be a lot better)
Seven Cities of Gold/Heart of Africa (a good exploration game)
Another update to Pirates!
Adventure Construction Set
Their Finest Hour: The Battle of Britain
An old fashioned dungeon crawler- Bard's Tale, Wizardry, etc
Silent Hunter or Red Storm Rising, or another good sub game
Wizard's Crown with updated graphics and UI

The top of your head has a neckbeard. Also, there has been NO shortage of old fashioned dungeon crawlers (immediately springing to mind - Darkest Dungeon, Stranger of Sword City, both Legends of Grimrock, all the Etrian shit).

Why do you think I shave my head  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
I have had Darkest Dungeon on my Steam wishlist for a while... now that I am unemployed it may be time to pick it up!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: July 04, 2016, 04:37:23 PM

I would really like a fun sub game.

hal1
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: July 04, 2016, 04:49:13 PM

There was or is a ww2 sub sim but its really boring. You guess where the ship is gonna go, you get in position and you wait until its in range. And in ww2 us  torpedoes are 30% at best , there really crap. I am a ex submarine sailor. I have no idea about combat . But if your assigned to a ship that cannot be detected you end up doing interesting things.   
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #85 on: July 08, 2016, 07:37:22 AM

I've like them to redo Star Wars Rebellion with a UI that didn't suck.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: July 08, 2016, 12:48:08 PM

Oh come on assholes, you can get it on steam now.  I think this is before the era where we started calling shit Eurojank. tongue

http://store.steampowered.com/app/327930/

To this date it has one of the most original takes on fantasy RPG's I've ever seen.  The mechanics and setting were amazing.  I'd like to think a dedicated team could take what they started and do something amazing.  But most likely not.

Yes, you can. And I'll be damned if I can read the font anymore. :/

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Do It Again/Do It Right: Games We Want, 2016  
Jump to: