Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:34:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Civilization VI 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Civilization VI  (Read 86147 times)
Nazrat
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: October 21, 2016, 11:19:23 AM

I can't figure out how to move using the keyboard. The graphics are too cartoony for my tastes.

Turns seem to bog down immediately instead of later in the game.

I only played for a few hours last night.

I plan to wear this thing out over the weekend. It is still Civ.
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: October 21, 2016, 11:21:38 AM

I was actually impressed with performance. I'm not very late in the game, but turns are going by quickly. My machine isn't something spectacular either.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #72 on: October 21, 2016, 11:27:38 AM

I stopped using the keyboard for much with Civ V, movement on hex wasn't wasd-friendly. I turned on mouse scrolling at the screen edge but didn't make it many turns before turning it back off again. I prefer it, but they've obviously set up the UI for their click-to-scroll setup, since many UI elements are in the edge scrolling zone. Not a real big deal yet, since there's always a few things to get used to like that, the last few iterations.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #73 on: October 21, 2016, 09:39:02 PM

Man I screwed up my first game so badly already. Getting used to builders having a limited number of uses but also being instant is going to take a while. As is not spamming "Farm, farm, farm, farm" initially.. Whoops.

Getting the groove of the limited city layout now, however. I like it, it's a very nice meta planning layer on top of the usual "spam goddamn cities" game. Those who like to play tall rather than wide are going to hate it, I think. That was also part of my fuck-up. I was trying to nurture 2-3 cities then realized I wasn't going to have space to do everything and had to start spamming settlers in the late-classical period. That doesn't work when the AI has 5 going already.

The new Civics system is a BIIIIG improvement over 4 and 5. The way you're essentially running two research trees flips a lot more switches and the cards for policies is fantastic.

Only got a few emissaries to the local city-states but I like the system more than the old "feed them gold" bullshit. You can really focus a few and make sure they're cleaved to you forever because the AI can't catch-up. Conversely the same can happen to you so be strategic in which relationships you nurture.

The game feels a LOT slower; not performance-wise but turn-wise. I played for about 3 hours and didn't hit the Renaissance, and I recall watching a project count down from 5 turns and it felt like it took 30 minutes to get through the turns without me doing much of anything else. Not sure I'm a fan of that at all, but we'll see.

Fuckup #3; I was playing Rome and didn't capitalize on the free roads properly. I was going one direction down a coast instead of going spoke and hub. Big mistake.

Love that I don't have to fuck with Roads and caravans build them. Makes you really focus on those trade routes and want to develop some internals (if you're not Rome) early on.

Having an early-stage ranged unit that wasn't an Archer was weird. Weirder still that I had to be adjacent to fling stones. I guess this is so you take advantage of the new promotion tree earlier for your ranged folks. BTW, nice to finally have it on-screen instead of trying to remember the upgrade path each time you fire up a game after a few months. Kudos there.

The art's beautiful but I agree the leaders cartooniness is kind of lame. A little too much Civ 3 here, they could have dialed it back a bit.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: October 21, 2016, 09:45:22 PM

So far I really like the changes to Civ 5. The builders are better. Government better, I like the boost system, I like the district system.

AI seems poor still, but that happens.

Edit: I love the cartoony strategy view. I play the whole game in that view.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 10:07:59 PM by lamaros »
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #75 on: October 22, 2016, 09:54:45 AM

Yeah, art and style is amazing in this version.  I'm a huge fan of the normal map as well.  How every thing that you've discovered but is hidden by fog of war, instead of just a grey fog, is rendered as a hand drawn map of what you last saw there.  

Also so happy they finally created a science and a culture tree to go up.  It's been heading that direction for a long time, so its a relief to see them have those two different tech tree's running side by side.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 10:51:09 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: October 22, 2016, 10:14:41 AM

Yes I'm really impressed. The district system with local and regional elements, and the luxuries, it all works really well for me. Favourite civ to date so far.

Now to sleep, it's 4am...
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: October 22, 2016, 12:27:47 PM

So far I'm really liking the city planning/district building stuff.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: October 22, 2016, 02:27:10 PM

This thread needs a trigger warning. damn you all.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Bhazrak
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: October 22, 2016, 07:14:56 PM

Still playing through my first game as I chose Epic speed. It's rather slow, feels somewhere in between epic and marathon speed in Civ 5, so I'll probably stick to standard from now on.

Been aiming for a science victory, me and Teddy seeing who can hammer out space parts the quickest at the moment. Going into the game relatively blind has been fun, even with all the stumbles I've had. It might just be the game being new, but going for a science victory in this feels less dull than it has in past Civs. Might be due to the early chaos that can erupt with barbarians, wars, etc. and districts providing an even more fun perfect city spot hunt.

The leader's random trait abilities can offer some interesting encounters. Teddy is a devout naturalist, never chopping down forests and loves to keep things the way they are. Harald however, is an orc and mows down everything purely for exploitation and expansion. Those two have been duking it out the entire game and neither side has let up. Then you have the Kongo leader Mvemba, he's paranoid. He has the largest force in the game because he's scared of anyone being stronger than him. He even thanked me for not being a threat to him. I've actually gotten quite lucky this game due to the trait clashes, as the AI has been fighting entirely amongst themselves whilst I bumble about trying to figure out how things work by trial and error and old general civ knowledge.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: October 22, 2016, 11:20:24 PM

Interesting start as the English on an islands map (like a 5 hex island with nothing else nearby). Super tiny island, few resources. I rush galleys and then... seafaring? The one that lets general units embark so I could embark settlers.

Galleys meanwhile explore a bit, find China stuck in a desert with great lands on either side and some nice strategic islands. Pop a city on the desert borders on either far side from China and in the bay they can use to sail out...what looked like a total crap start is blossoming into a decent Classical Era already...
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: October 22, 2016, 11:37:00 PM

This is the best Civ has been, and I can only see it getting better with expansions.

The game is just as deep and involved, but makes more sense, has more fun elements to the micromanagement, etc.

Just won a close immortal game on epic with a cultural victory as Norway. I was behind for most of the game, but the Eiffel Tower and Terracotta Army helped be go nuts late game with museums, natural parks and seaside resorts. Pericles was on the last bit of the science victory, so the race was very close!

Epic is a bit slower than I'd hoped, will go back to standard next. Probably only going Epic for a fast domination.

Edit: Standard is too fast, back to epic.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 04:06:55 PM by lamaros »
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: October 23, 2016, 04:10:49 PM

I've played one game so far on the third easiest difficulty. I definitely need to up that for my next game. It's 150 turns in and they're still riding chariots against my field cannons. I'm liking how complex the district system is. It'll be a lot of games before I get the hang of which ones I want to build and how to plan my city out in advance. I also need to memorize all the tile yields, and what improvements increase what yield, and also what technologies add to tile yield. I played as Greece and that Acropolis district is OP. I think any of the unique Civ districts might be OP, simply because it doesn't count against your district cap. As a side note my first neighbor was the OTHER Greece leader and that was really confusing because the game doesn't differentiate at all. In the Great Person screen it says Greece twice with no way for me to know which one I am.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: October 23, 2016, 05:03:03 PM

I've played one game so far on the third easiest difficulty. I definitely need to up that for my next game. It's 150 turns in and they're still riding chariots against my field cannons. I'm liking how complex the district system is. It'll be a lot of games before I get the hang of which ones I want to build and how to plan my city out in advance. I also need to memorize all the tile yields, and what improvements increase what yield, and also what technologies add to tile yield. I played as Greece and that Acropolis district is OP. I think any of the unique Civ districts might be OP, simply because it doesn't count against your district cap. As a side note my first neighbor was the OTHER Greece leader and that was really confusing because the game doesn't differentiate at all. In the Great Person screen it says Greece twice with no way for me to know which one I am.

Yeah some UI issues around things like that. One that annoyed me is a lot of artifacts get the same name and icon, but will be from different eras or civs, and working out what is what when trying to trade away the ones you don't want is almost impossible.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #84 on: October 23, 2016, 05:19:17 PM

Meanwhile I'm back here on Warlord with Internet Game-speed (fastest) because I'm trying to learn the systems and hate the epic-length games.

Then again I'm old now and can't sit and play anything longer than 2 or 3 hours. Meaning my second civ game still isn't to Renaissance era, even with the speed boost, and I haven't seen how most of the systems work.  I don't have time to research and explore anymore. Alas.  (Oh, and I've never used the cheese strats because I dislike them. :D )

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: October 23, 2016, 06:16:38 PM

The trick is to not sleep.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #86 on: October 23, 2016, 06:19:45 PM

I've got that down. I just get restless if I sit for more than 2-3 hours. It's not that I don't have the time, I don't have the desire. There's other shit I'd rather do.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: October 24, 2016, 05:34:18 AM

I'm seeing some players saying that even for a Civ game, the AI is pretty dumb, particularly in city placement?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #88 on: October 24, 2016, 06:01:51 AM

Define dumb.  They're following their agendas well as far as I can tell.  They may not be optimal game strategies but nobody ever REALLY wants that.  Ask the chess champs how much they enjoy losing to deep blue. 

As for city placement, the requirements are different from old Civ games.  The recommendation made to the player tries to optimize city size and available resources but doesn't seem to take buildable land into consideration.  That does lead to some suboptimal recommendations, which have lead to some bad placements like on the end of a narrow 1 hex wide 4 hex long peninsula. Oh look, no room for districts. Ow.  This place will never be more than a village. It's not a huge problem so far as I can tell, since you need to build more cities not fewer.

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: October 24, 2016, 09:54:12 AM

So, from your posts I'm getting the impression that the game is polished and finished enough to invest in?
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: October 24, 2016, 09:58:52 AM

I have yet to encounter a bug that I'm aware of. Online players are complaining of exploits but I don't play Civ online so I couldn't tell you. I do feel like it is very polished. The load times are still pretty bad, but overall performance seems just fine.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: October 24, 2016, 11:33:31 AM

So, from your posts I'm getting the impression that the game is polished and finished enough to invest in?
I normally tell people to hold off until the second expansion, but this time I think they got it right out of the box.
Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: October 24, 2016, 12:55:58 PM

I played pretty extensively this weekend and after notching my first win, I don't feel the urge to fire it up. The game is fine - I think if you liked Civ5 and want a more interesting version of that, this is worth it. My main complaint would be that the late game was largely just spent passing turns, and the game took a good 30-45 seconds to process the remaing AI civ's turns I had 3 of 7 civ's that made it till the end of the game. I got into the habit of pressing pass turn, tabbing out, and reading stuff while the turn processed. This started at around turn 250. I ended up winning a cultural victory around turn 360.

I did get the chance to play a multiplayer game Friday night with some friends on discord, and that was quite fun figuring things out together.

If you have a bunch of steam bucks/spare cash or really feel the itch for a newer shinier Civ, you can be happy with this. If you are on the fence, maybe hold off till an xpac or interesting mods are developed.
Njal
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: October 24, 2016, 01:37:40 PM

Dunno if it's a bug but I'm beating up on Roosevelt and he's in the modern age. I'm using Infantry artillery etc and he's spamming horsemen. It's not working well for him. the barbarians otoh are using era appropriate units so I'm not sure what the problem is. Overall I'm really liking the game.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: October 24, 2016, 03:56:35 PM

I think it's worth it out of the box, if that's not clear.
WayAbvPar

Reply #95 on: October 24, 2016, 09:02:43 PM

I started my first game on a Huge map on Marathon time. I am thinking that was a mistake...it takes fucking forever to do anything so exploring the new shit is a lot harder. Think I will table it and start over on Standard time and see how that goes. I wish there were more map types...looking forward to the mods.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: October 25, 2016, 01:30:06 AM

I still have no idea how borders expand. I think it's just culture produced by the city locally but unlike Civ 5 it doesn't tell you how many turns until next border growth nor does it say which tile it will take. I also wish you didn't have to mouse over techs to figure out everything they do because a lot of them have "hidden" things that are only shown when you mouse over it. There's no diplomacy screen so if I want to figure out if anybody has an amenity I could trade for I have to click all of them individually instead of just browsing one screen. When looking through the religion lens it seems like a city will revert to pantheon worship when no single religion has a majority but the problem with this is that it doesn't tell you how many followers there are of which religion. A city of 11 with 3 Buddhism, 4 Shinto, and 4 Catholicism will just show as 'Stone Circles' with no other information presented.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #97 on: October 25, 2016, 06:20:21 AM

Dunno if it's a bug but I'm beating up on Roosevelt and he's in the modern age. I'm using Infantry artillery etc and he's spamming horsemen. It's not working well for him. the barbarians otoh are using era appropriate units so I'm not sure what the problem is. Overall I'm really liking the game.

If you mean Teddy Roosevelt, that seems proper.  If you mean Eleanor, then I guess it's a bug.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #98 on: October 25, 2016, 07:00:05 PM

Are you sure they're horsemen and not Rough Riders? They're Teddy's special unit.
http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Rough_Rider_(Civ6)

Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: October 26, 2016, 03:31:44 AM

The framework of the game is great, and I look forward to playing it in years to come, but right now the AI is completely broken and there are numerous large bugs which create issues as well, plus a lot of rebalancing that needs oding.

In terms of AI, it doesn't upgrade units - ever. Partly because upgrade costs are ridiculous this time around, but you see city states and enemy empires running around with warriors in the modern era. Happens at every difficulty level, they just don't upgrade units. Similarily, they don't build industrial zones (or indeed, many districts). All three of my games so far great engineers havent been claimed by the AI once. It also doesn;t udnerstand religion - I've had Ais generate waves of missionaires and apostles to convert me - and yet they haven't bothered upgrading their religion slots 3 or 4 at all.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #100 on: October 26, 2016, 03:50:22 AM

So it's basically in the same state every previous Civ game was in shortly after release? Great foundation and probably really great after the first six months have passed, all the bugs have been fixed and most of the rebalancing is finished?
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #101 on: October 26, 2016, 07:35:47 AM

So it's basically in the same state every previous Civ game was in shortly after release? Great foundation and probably really great after the first six months have passed, all the bugs have been fixed and most of the rebalancing is finished?

In terms of AI yes.

The most glaring one I've seen is the warriors/horseman problem (I suspect its due to that civic that lowers maintenance costs by 1 gold) and not stealing tribal villages at the start.  Some easy coding there.
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: October 26, 2016, 07:42:49 AM

There is also the random "I'm going to declare war on you because I view you as weak" again. Seems to happen from every civ regardless of what their motivations are.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: October 26, 2016, 10:27:47 AM

Civ V had pretty good AI for some of the basic fundamentals--the AI got out and scouted aggressively in the early game and went for goodie huts, it placed cities sensibly, it put a premium on getting to luxury resources, it developed its territory well, etc.  That's all important--you really don't want to be playing computer opponents that don't grasp some of those basic gameplay elements.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: October 26, 2016, 09:55:29 PM

Not really, no.

The AI is bad in regard to unit control. It will get better, but I doubt it will ever be good.

There are some balance issues, but they'll get sorted quickly.

Some of the bigger supposed issues are probably due to people playing the game like it's Civ 5, rather than adjusting to this game. This is not helped by the UI and quite a few game elements being opaque and not explained.

Otherwise the game is in a really really good state. It's way way better than Civ 5 at launch. It's a lot of fun.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Civilization VI  
Jump to: