Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:07:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Civilization VI 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Civilization VI  (Read 86134 times)
Mithas
Terracotta Army

on: May 11, 2016, 08:46:32 AM

Launches in October. I've got over 1000 hours into Civ 5 so I can't wait.

http://www.polygon.com/features/2016/5/11/11653620/civilization-6-release-date-preview

Official announcement trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvBf6WBatk0
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 08:55:49 AM

After Beyond Earth I was feeling like it was time to stop buying Civs at launch. Maybe next time. This sounds decent.
WayAbvPar

Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 09:21:18 AM

Is that Sean Bean narrating?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 09:29:32 AM

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.... Damnit, at least it's still 5 months away.

Is that Sean Bean narrating?
I think so.

Civilization 6 is not the same. It demands that you place your city improvements in geographic locations in hexes around the city, which best take advantage of that building's boosts and functions.

This means that your city upgrade path is no longer a rote event. It is a matter of geographic practicality.

Ooh, this sounds exciting. It could mean"Three out and drop" will no longer be the quickest possible rapid-expansion method. It's one thing if your cities are limited in size, it's another if they simply can't build things like granaries or monuments because of geography or layout.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 09:38:19 AM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
WayAbvPar

Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 09:32:42 AM

Read the article now. Holy SHIT. SO fired up. Half-hoping I am still unemployed when this comes out awesome, for real

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 09:55:58 AM

Shit time flies. I kept thinking it's ridiculous we're getting a new Civ 'so soon' then read one of the last paragraphs:

It's worth noting that big changes do not come easily in Civ. Although Civ 5 came out in 2010, it didn't fully find its feet until the Brave New World expansion, which arrived three years later.

Goddamn I'm old.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 09:58:21 AM

I won't buy at release, as these people are on the same rules as Total War now, but I am interested to see if they can make the AI actually decent without turning it into a RNG cheating machine.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 11:12:38 AM

Shit time flies. I kept thinking it's ridiculous we're getting a new Civ 'so soon' then read one of the last paragraphs:

It's worth noting that big changes do not come easily in Civ. Although Civ 5 came out in 2010, it didn't fully find its feet until the Brave New World expansion, which arrived three years later.

Goddamn I'm old.
Well, I don't expect it to be great until an expansion or two later. Par for the franchise.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 11:20:57 AM

If it's Sean Bean narrating, that means all Civs have to die before they get to the endgame.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 01:00:14 PM

If it's Sean Bean narrating, that means all Civs have to die before they get to the endgame.

This is stating the obvious, but more of the sound is taken from elsewhere: https://youtu.be/NQXVzg2PiZw?t=1m1s

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 02:21:26 PM

I still don't think I've launched Civ 5. Forgot I had it.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 02:30:50 PM

Same here. I bought it once the 2nd expansion came out, but I think I installed it, launched it then quit without actually starting a game. 19 minutes played according to Steam.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 02:56:31 PM

Same here. I bought it once the 2nd expansion came out, but I think I installed it, launched it then quit without actually starting a game. 19 minutes played according to Steam.
2 minutes here.

Edit: Which is pretty reasonable considering I played 4 minutes of Civ 4.
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 02:57:53 PM

There was a Civ 5? *looks up from Civ 4*

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 03:06:08 PM

There was a Civ 5? *looks up from Civ 4*
No, but there was an expansion for it.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 03:58:48 PM

I've heard good things about Civ 4 mods.

why so serious?
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 07:40:35 PM

I was wondering when you'd bring that up.  You scamp.

I feel kinda burned by Civ V.  I should pick up the expansion at some point, see if it ever became good.

Not really keen on Civ VI, but I can see picking it up at some point.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 08:55:33 PM

Don't make me post jacking Daffy...

I warmed to Civ V at some point after the expansions. You do have to let go of the old ways, but since that's the trajectory they're on, it's a worthwhile exercise. There's enough improvement the interface trips me up when going to play /that mod/.

Beyond Earth was a let down, and I felt burned by that one. Felt like an intern project that got pushed out the door.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #18 on: May 12, 2016, 06:37:25 AM

After the expansions fixed the hell out of it, Civ V is my favorite of the franchise so far.  Their decision to take away death stacks made warfare about 20 times more enjoyable to play.  I’ve come around to prefer several of the other major gameplay changes as well.  It has a lot more depth than previous titles.

Because of this, and how good Xcom was, I actually pre-ordered Beyond Earth (something I almost never ever do).  My thinking was that Firaxis was on a roll and knew exactly what they were doing, so I could trust them.  After THAT particularly bad burn, I’ll wait and see on this.  Still, with what they’ve done with Civ V, I have high hopes.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 12, 2016, 06:52:11 AM

Civ 5 is an amazing game, fully expanded. It's probably the 4th most played steam title over the last few years, behind CS:GO, TF2, and Dota2; longevity which I think speaks to its quality.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #20 on: May 12, 2016, 07:36:04 AM

I loved Civ 5 with the expansions, though I didn't play it pre-expansion so I don't have a basis of comparison. Based on all the bad things I heard about Beyond Earth and Civ 5 on release, Civ 6 will likely be a "wait until Steam sale and first expansion" type of purchase.

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 12, 2016, 08:08:06 AM

Has anyone actually used the Steam controller before?  It seems like an odd game to bundle one with since I can't imagine anything better for a 4X style game than mouse and keyboard.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 12, 2016, 09:29:37 AM

Has anyone actually used the Steam controller before?  It seems like an odd game to bundle one with since I can't imagine anything better for a 4X style game than mouse and keyboard.

Maybe that's why, though.  I expect most people have an XBox controller (or a controller that can emulate one) for typical controller stuff, so maybe they're trying to show why you'd bother with the Steam controller.  Allegedly it's supposed to be better than the XBox controller for mouse games because of the touchpads.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 12, 2016, 09:52:11 AM

I was wondering when you'd bring that up.  You scamp.

I feel kinda burned by Civ V.  I should pick up the expansion at some point, see if it ever became good.

Not really keen on Civ VI, but I can see picking it up at some point.
If you have all of the content for the game it would really behoove you to pick up the community balance patch.  Makes it a completely different and awesome game.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #24 on: May 12, 2016, 09:52:40 AM

I felt burned by Civ 5 too. Thought it was bland, and I didn't like the military changes much. I do like the idea of having tiles with actual building on them as it would make sieges with slash and burn more strategic.

Still, the AI has always sucked. It got worse in Civ 5 in my mind.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: May 12, 2016, 10:39:35 AM

I hated Civ V at launch, and eventually loved it after all the expansions. The one thing I'm still not wild about is that they got rid of a little of the wild randomness of the very beginning game--it often feels a bit too predictable to me, no matter how I set the world up.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 12, 2016, 10:41:29 AM

I agreed with getting rid of death stacks, but I think they turned that dial too far in the other direction in V.
Trying to move an army of single units, one hex per turn, was dreadful. Especially if the terrain narrowed at all.

Endless Legend handled this by letting you stack a limited number of units. I think Civ would benefit by stealing that concept.
(EL units were also more mobile, but there was a lot more distance between cities in that game.)

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 12, 2016, 10:54:18 AM

Endless Legend also had pretty complex terrain that could lead to making cities harder to attack (in good ways) and harder to expand or develop (in somewhat annoying ways). Sounds a bit as if Civ VI is going to imitate that, actually.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 12, 2016, 04:25:12 PM

I got Tropico 5 as one of the PSN monthly games this month and I've been playing it with a controller. I'd actually say that it works really well, since you don't need to make incredibly precise movements rapidly in this sort of game. I realise citybuilders aren't exactly the same as a CIV game, but I'd say there's far worse games to play with a controller. If anything I'd say that the map controls are more comfortable, panning and zooming is a lot easier with two joysticks.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 12, 2016, 05:58:05 PM

The Steam controller's niche is to be a mediocre-but-passable substitute for KB+M in couch gaming situations where the real thing isn't viable. It can also be a mediocre-but-passable substitute for a real gamepad, but that's irrelevant since you can already use a Dual Shock anywhere you can use a Steam controller. So Civilization is actually basically the only reason for it to exist.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 12, 2016, 08:30:07 PM

The Steam controller's niche is to be a mediocre-but-passable substitute for KB+M in couch gaming situations where the real thing isn't viable. It can also be a mediocre-but-passable substitute for a real gamepad, but that's irrelevant since you can already use a Dual Shock anywhere you can use a Steam controller. So Civilization is actually basically the only reason for it to exist.
Better to find a kb/m solution that works for your living room than deal with a mediocre solution in an awesome gaming environment. I've moved to a wired mouse because I got tired of wonky response issues with wireless mice, but the wireless keyboard has been great. Been using this setup for 13 years now (as my only computer in the house) and it's great.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #31 on: May 13, 2016, 05:09:12 AM

Do you just have a really long USB extension cord for the mouse then? I'm with you on wired vs. wireless, though my DeathAdder has been pretty shit recently with its wheel button. Fucker scrolls at inopportune times.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #32 on: May 13, 2016, 09:02:29 AM

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 13, 2016, 09:34:05 AM

Do you just have a really long USB extension cord for the mouse then? I'm with you on wired vs. wireless, though my DeathAdder has been pretty shit recently with its wheel button. Fucker scrolls at inopportune times.

I bought a cheapie Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse, then set the mouse aside and ordered a wireless Viotek "gaming" mouse instead. Been working great -- any lag I'm getting is due to my crappy home network and not my interface devices, as far as I can tell.

I tried the long usb extension thing too, but several tripped dogs and one wife later I realized that the performance increase just wasn't going to be worth the collateral damage...
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: May 13, 2016, 04:24:20 PM

Yeah, it's an active 4-port hub to boost power when I plug other random crap into it, and I figured it might help signal strength over the longer cable, maybe 10-12'? It has a 4 port hub I mount under the coffee table, I plug the mouse and keyboard's receiver into it (as well as a card reader for convenience). I run the cable in a flat cable runner I bought from work, in summer config of my living room it runs under an area rug for zero trip hazard, but even in winter when it's more exposed nobody has ever tripped over it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Civilization VI  
Jump to: