Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:27:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Art Thread (NSFW) 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Art Thread (NSFW)  (Read 198185 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #315 on: June 29, 2017, 09:44:40 PM

Finally, there's a very strong chance I'm buying a few sculptures, starting with this once he finishes the column for it to rest on:

Okay, that's fucking *brilliant*.
Yeah, the artist is incredible, no one knows he exists. He's working on like 6 things for me right now.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #316 on: June 30, 2017, 06:28:50 AM

Finally got something posted to share.  I still have a bunch more of my 100 day project stuff to get decent photos of.

Fanart piece I did as a gift for a friend.  It's heading out to her in the mail as of today.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #317 on: June 30, 2017, 09:34:05 AM

I like the colors and textures on that one!
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #318 on: June 30, 2017, 01:53:52 PM

That's lovely! Feels like it belongs in a beautifully illustrated children's book.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #319 on: July 01, 2017, 06:59:12 PM

Copy of Kirby’s illustration of Iron Man for the cover of Tales of Suspense #39 (1963). Graphite on bristol sketch paper, 9×12.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #320 on: July 02, 2017, 08:25:14 AM

Though I think art collection is a different thread than art creation...  why so serious?

Might want to add another gallery to your list, IX Gallery from the folks who run IlluXCon. Mostly fantasy illustration ala Frazetta/Vallejo etc.

http://www.ixgallery.com/artbyexhibition.asp?eId=970
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: July 06, 2017, 01:11:27 PM

I like the colors and textures on that one!

Thanks!  I tend to have far too much fun with salt in my pieces.

That's lovely! Feels like it belongs in a beautifully illustrated children's book.

Thank you.  I'm not sure I could manage to illustrate an entire story, but it might be fun to try.  This was definitely fun to do, too.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #322 on: July 06, 2017, 01:26:33 PM

Finally uploaded my latest pics to somewhere shareable.

One thing this 100 day project has done is really allowed me to take something (what I called lacy vines) and expand and twist them into what I've been doing lately.  It's been a fun exploration so far and something I'm going to keep pushing.  The last pic posted was finished last night, just lines on a watercolor background.

Oh, almost forgot - that easel is incredible looking, Sky!  I'd love to have room in my office for any easel, but that would involve some serious reconfiguring of the space and I'm really not up for that.  Plus, the husband won't let me pull the carpet up.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: July 06, 2017, 08:04:14 PM

The 30-day challenge I ran on FB in December was a critical piece in my progression as an artist. Developing sketchbook discipline was so tough, but those challenges really kick things up a notch.
schild
Administrator

Reply #324 on: July 06, 2017, 08:26:51 PM

Though I think art collection is a different thread than art creation...  why so serious?

as someone with a BFA

nah
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: July 07, 2017, 09:47:27 AM

Well then
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #326 on: July 20, 2017, 07:26:04 PM

Had a plein air drawing lesson with my painting instructor today in Little Falls. Got a late start due to rain, had about an hour before the actors had to hit the stage for some Shakespeare. Love the scene they fell into.

Charcoal, 14x17

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: July 21, 2017, 06:28:55 AM

Nice!

What kind of board is that you're using?  I need to look something like that up to do some plein air watercolors.  I've decided to want to get outside and sketch/paint a bit to stretch beyond just doing abstracts.

There's nothing wrong with doing abstracts, but I -personally- feel like I'm limiting myself, even though I love doing them.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: July 21, 2017, 08:08:39 AM

Just an 18x18 drawing board. I bought it a while ago, I'd rather have straight masonite without the handle or integrated clip but I can't seem to find 1/4" masonite anymore. Not commonly used like it was before.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #329 on: July 23, 2017, 06:17:09 AM

Masonite is a brand name and still pretty commonly used, they probably have it but stocked as something else.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hardboard-Tempered-Panel-Common-3-16-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Actual-0-155-in-x-47-7-in-x-95-7-in-832780/202404545

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #330 on: July 23, 2017, 07:41:39 AM

Masonite is GP's copyrighted name for hardboard. The dark brown stuff (which doesn't start to disintegrate the instant water hits it) is "tempered hardboard", as per Merusk's link :)

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: July 23, 2017, 02:16:55 PM

Just an 18x18 drawing board. I bought it a while ago, I'd rather have straight masonite without the handle or integrated clip but I can't seem to find 1/4" masonite anymore. Not commonly used like it was before.
I'm aware it's tempered hardboard. I'm old and that's what we old timers call it. Only kids at shitty chain stores don't know what I mean. The stuff the chains stock is too thin and bendy for use as an art board, 1/4" or 5/8" is ideal.

I appreciate the attempt to help, though! It's been a pain in the ass because I want a couple dozen custom sized for my art class thing. I've got what passes for a larger board from the school, but it's boards glued up: fine for propping a sketchpad on, but no bueno for clipping a sheet to, as the seams show. I could sand and poly it, but I'd rather just have the stuff I know works!
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #332 on: July 23, 2017, 02:26:38 PM

If you are wanting something as thick as possibly 5/8" you could try 1/2" MDO, which is a sheet of 1/2 plywood covered by a very thin layer of MDF. There are places that will sell MDF as thin as 1/4" but it is extremely brittle.

You could also look at one of the variants of Gator Board which would be both more durable than MDF and about as light as you can get. Expensive though.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #333 on: July 23, 2017, 08:03:12 PM

Meanwhile I'm going "3/16 is only 1/16" smaller than 1/4" it's fine.."

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #334 on: July 25, 2017, 05:49:15 PM

Trying to mix Carolina Blue is interesting, especially in watercolor.  Have a commission for one of my "splatter paintings" as my friend calls them, but it's for a friend of hers and she wants Carolina Blue.  I'm working with tube paints for the first time (I've had them for a long while, just prefer using my liquid ones more) so that will be a learning experience because they flow differently than liquid paints do.

schild
Administrator

Reply #335 on: July 25, 2017, 09:34:27 PM

Trying to mix Carolina Blue is interesting, especially in watercolor.

The trick is black.

(I did a series of texture studies in my final year of school and one of them was mostly blue, and I came across carolina blue on accident with 2 shades of blue, black, and white).

Edit: The other option is to just use Cerulean Blue Chromium - it's a close enough approximation to the untrained eye and frankly, fuck the tarheels.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 09:45:39 PM by schild »
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #336 on: July 26, 2017, 08:19:33 AM

Ha!  I ended up going with Cerulean Blue and China White, so it was close enough.

Friend likes the resulting painting, so I think I got it in one, but The way the tube paints worked on the paper just made me somewhat dissatisfied.  It feels thick compared to my liquid paints that I'm not sure if it's just me not being familiar with using them or if it's just because there is more pigment floating in the water.  Still, I opened the Prussian Blue and fell in love with that shade, so I'm going to keep playing with it for a bit.

Bad photo of final result:

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #337 on: July 28, 2017, 08:34:42 PM

Informal copy of Bargue plate 9. Graphite on smooth bristol.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #338 on: August 02, 2017, 06:58:21 AM

Nice range of values on that foot, Sky.  Do you use a blending stick for the shading or just straight linework?

Gel pens on a background I didn't like.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #339 on: August 02, 2017, 09:19:51 AM

The tools for that drawing were: HB and 4B graphite (I may have used a bit of 8B, I forget already!) and a kneaded and pen eraser (the little clicky erasers) for detailed cleanup. So yeah, it's all done with the pencils. I was using the HB somewhat like a stump, though, to smooth over transitions.

It was a learning project for my new paper, smooth bristol, recommended by the Draw Like A Boss author, Ash. So smooth and nice to work on. I'm working on plate 10 on newsprint, it's....less nice to work on. Worked great for ghosting in the envelope and basic construction of the drawing, really scratchy for putting in values with dark graphite. Good practice, though, trying to make them smooth despite the paper fighting me.

I might just bite the bullet and work on the smooth bristol board. Though I'll be pumping these Bargue drawings out, since I should be taking some private instruction with my painting instructor. Getting a head start on her atelier training until she can open the school.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #340 on: August 02, 2017, 09:24:36 AM

You did a good job on smoothing everything out and not having the lines showing in the shading then.  HB is good for transitioning between values, I've done that in the past.  For general practice, why not try a generic sketchbook, or are you doing these at a larger size than normal?  The paper won't be a smooth as Bristol but also won't be as rough as newsprint.  I remember really only liking newsprint for charcoal or pastel stuff, since it can be such a rough surface.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #341 on: August 02, 2017, 11:40:23 AM

Yeah, I'll use the regular sketchpad. I just got the newsprint pad for less arty stuff like my perspective lessons and warming up for stuff. So I figured I'd give it a whirl.

I'm not actually using many lines, I expose the pencil lead and sharpen it to a taper and use the side for broader, smoother strokes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #342 on: August 07, 2017, 09:23:40 AM

As mentioned, plate 10 on newsprint. Not a fan of smooth shading on that paper! Graphite on smooth newsprint, 9x12.

And some WIPs:

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #343 on: August 12, 2017, 09:31:49 PM

I had a larger piece (11 x 15) that I was doing that just wasn't working for me.  So I took a knife to it and chopped it into 4 equal pieces (5.5 x 7.5).  Immediately, the smaller pieces looked much better compositionally, so I started in on finishing them.  Here's the first one done.

I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out, although I did manage to fuck up my crow quill pen nib that I've had for over 25 years now.  I accidentally bent one side when cleaning it and even though it apparently went right back into place and it "looks" fine, it's just not quite right any more.   Heartbreak  Going to have to get myself a new one.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #344 on: September 01, 2017, 07:42:12 AM

Mostly doing review studies in the sketchbook right now, getting ready for fall classes. Also doing a proper Bargue plate, now that I've warmed up on them with informal copies. I did a writeup on the blog, but here's the progress pics (currently 20+ hours in):

More words here: http://cashwiley.com/2017/09/bargue-plate-49-wip/
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #345 on: September 14, 2017, 01:41:48 PM

Been digging on a youtube channel called Croquis Cafe for figure drawing practice lately. Both 20 minutes, 18x24, charcoal on newsprint.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #346 on: September 15, 2017, 07:00:00 AM

Very nice!

All I've really managed late is doing some daily doodles in front of the TV, like this one from last night :

In other news, I figure I'll post here, just in case someone's interested - September is a milestone birthday month for me, so to celebrate, I'm giving away gifts to folks.  If there is any piece of my art that you like and want (and it's available - first come, first served) then let me know and I'll send it to you.  Partly to see if I can clear out some pieces and partly because I kind of feel like giving away art to people if they want it.

https://www.facebook.com/lahuttonartworks <- link to my FB page that has a pretty comprehensive showing of my work.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #347 on: September 19, 2017, 08:55:07 PM

Nice, I like the line work on that one.

First session of figure drawing for the semester. 20 minute pose, 18x24 charcoal on drawing paper.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #348 on: September 25, 2017, 01:54:29 PM

Some things I produced at hospital (art therapy)

My first try at painting since school, and not really supposed to be art, it's most about the process and how you feel. But still feedback very welcome.

Interestingly I identify most with the 2nd, which probably doesn't do much for outside observers. I started it right after giving up on the 3rd (which looked very different in my head). The idea behind it was sort of Japanese calligraphy. Sort of peacefull.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #349 on: September 25, 2017, 03:17:15 PM

The third piece has a very feathery feel to the two main color blocks, and a rougher blending on the edges.  I like it.

The first painting is very segregated and joined together only by the pattern of lines drizzled across the space.  All the color areas are very separated from each other and feel isolated a bit.

Definitely get the calligraphy vibe from the second one, I like it! It's almost a reversed mirror image but not quite, and looking for the differences is cool.

Thumbs up!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Art Thread (NSFW)  
Jump to: