Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:15:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Art Thread (NSFW) 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Art Thread (NSFW)  (Read 198188 times)
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: January 05, 2017, 12:08:01 PM

Thanks man!

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #211 on: January 09, 2017, 09:13:42 AM

Sketchbook digest is up. Superheroes, Star Wars and Anatomy!

https://cashwiley.com/2017/01/09/sketchbook-digest-7/
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: January 19, 2017, 11:18:25 AM

Current WIP that I'm doing for the Art for the Paws charity auction that supports the shelter we adopted Jasper from.  This is the third annual event and I'm doing two 6x6 canvases again this year.  One will be a traditional watercolor painting that I'll then attach to the canvas and the other is this :

It's still watercolor - sort of.  I'm using leftover pieces from watercolor paintings and making a paper mosaic.  It's a bit of an experiment but so far I'm having some fun with it.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: January 19, 2017, 11:22:52 AM

That's a cool idea. I can see the watercolor bits having a kind of stained glass feel to them.

This week was my first figure drawing and portrait class for the semester. Those updates and another weekly digest are up on the blog, if anyone is interested. I also sold my first piece over the weekend, a small wolverine copy someone asked for.

Initial construction for the portrait:

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: January 19, 2017, 01:34:44 PM

That's a cool idea. I can see the watercolor bits having a kind of stained glass feel to them.

This week was my first figure drawing and portrait class for the semester. Those updates and another weekly digest are up on the blog, if anyone is interested. I also sold my first piece over the weekend, a small wolverine copy someone asked for.

Initial construction for the portrait:

WHEEE!  Congrats on the sale!  It feels good to know someone likes your work like that. 

Nice start on the portrait, too.  I should really see about taking some classes to freshen up my skills, but the community college setup on my county is weird.  See, I'm in McHenry County and one would think that I'd go to ... dun dun DUN.. McHenry County College if I wanted to take any classes, right?

Wrong!  So sad!

I would go to Elgin Community College, despite that fact that is actually located in Kane County, because of how the district lines are drawn.   swamp poop  So very annoying.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: January 20, 2017, 07:35:37 AM

I would go to whichever one had the better program. I'm lucky to have Munson as a local option, since quality art education is rare. Even though they're a modernist school and loosey-goosey with realism, I got exceedingly lucky with the portrait instructor who is atelier-trained. And the plans for her atelier this year are still moving forward, she meets with the Academy founder next week and then the founder of the Boston campus to get down the numbers (and learn how many years she'll be broke). I offered my services as a volunteer teacher (or trade for classes) if I become skilled enough to teach a class, until the school is in the black. I've got more of a vested interest in the school surviving the first five years than in making a couple bucks.

Going to be an interesting year, that's for sure!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: January 23, 2017, 07:30:44 AM

Last week's sketch digest is up. Only one comic book copy, and a few pages of gesture study to augment the figure drawing class. https://cashwiley.com/2017/01/23/sketchbook-digest-9/

With the exception of a small break I took before classes, pretty much drawing (or painting) every day for two months now. It really proves that studied effort gets results!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: January 25, 2017, 07:12:27 PM

Second stage of the drawing for this semester’s portrait class. Fixing proportions, adding some detail, blocking in the shadow shapes. Ready for transfer to canvas before next week’s class. Graphite on paper, 14×17.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: January 26, 2017, 11:03:00 AM

Nice detail on the sketch, Sky.  I don't remember you showing those before the portrait classes though.  It's possible you did, but I forget, lol.

The watercolor mosaic piece continues on.  I've finished the water and have moved on to the sky area.  Need to finish the rays, finish the sky, then I plan to add some embellishments with iridescent paint before calling it done.  I don't particularly like how jagged the edges of the piece look, but it's canvas; I don't have a sharp edge to work with.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: January 26, 2017, 11:24:47 AM

My first portrait drawing I had no clue what I was doing. It turned out great for that, but was primitive and looked more like a comic book generic dude than the actual model: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3667682/Scribbles/Classwork/IntroOilPortriture_4.jpg

Second one I was rusty from not drawing all summer, and I rushed it to try and get the geometry and details done in one class. I did, but it's super primitive and not a very good drawing. And again, doesn't look much like the model (though this time I fixed a /lot/ in paint): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3667682/Scribbles/Classwork/Painting/IntroOilPortraiture_2.jpg

The third and current one really shows the importance of daily sketching. It's still brutally difficult, but at least I'm more comfortable with the tools and confident enough to just adjust the entire left side of the drawing over 3/4", wiping out the entirely rendered ear, etc. Because it only took me a couple minutes, just ghosting over what I did already.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: January 30, 2017, 06:57:10 AM

Another week, another digest! https://cashwiley.com/2017/01/30/sketchbook-digest-10/

"Not a day without a line" Adolph Menzel

Really struggling with figure drawing. The downside to things coming easily to me (and by easily I mean a lot of study and practice), when something doesn't come easily, I'm less equipped to deal with it. Continuing to search for keys to unlock it for me, resigned to just brute force improvement by repetition....
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: February 01, 2017, 07:32:13 AM

Holy shit, I had a breakthrough with figure drawing yesterday! Spent some time with Prokopenko's videos (Proko on the youtube), practicing and taking notes. Then I applied that in class, along with having a better model this week, had some pretty good success! Still years of practice to get it good, but at least I was able to navigate the initial roadblock.

https://cashwiley.com/2017/02/01/figure-drawing-2/

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: February 01, 2017, 09:10:51 AM

I'll have to check the videos out sometime.  I know I need to improve my figure drawing but getting back into the habit is tough when I feel like I have no time.  Something's got to change though or I'll keep being stuck where I am.

So what do you feel changed for you?  Just the way of thinking about shapes or something else?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: February 01, 2017, 09:51:43 AM

I was drawn to his vibrant capture of motion compared to a lot of gesture I see. I'm also not the most linear artist, so the way he abstracts and then cuts away unnecessary lines is good for me. I can fairly quickly capture a dynamic gesture and then build on it however I want to. Unfortunately, both my instructors use methods counter to his for gesture, so I felt like I was 'wrong', because I kept getting bad critiques to my gestures. So buckling down and really putting effort into the videos was a gamble I took. His motto for gesture is 'motion not contour', letting go of the shapes other than a generalization based on the understanding of structure (ie: you want to almost shorthand the anatomy, not just draw stick figures).

More directly, the basic steps to construct a gesture that helped me break my paralysis when I'm at the easel without a clue where to start or how to construct the drawing. Getting into a rhythm by drawing along with the videos got me into the habit of 'ok, first the head....now the gesture of the sternomastoid...ok now the shoulders...ok now the torso' Kind of a mental punchlist to keep me moving quickly. Of course, adapted to the pose so it makes sense.

Also watching his abstraction methods to keep things stylized. When I was in high school I was in a pilot class for fashion design and I always loved the exaggerated style, so I think that's where my inner vision for gesture comes from (that and Marvel comics!).

I really wanted to nail the gesture part of things, because everything builds on that. Another thing I learned from Stan Lee's edicts is that things should be dynamic. I'd rather have a drawing be cool than a photograph of the model's pose (and that's kind of a sticking point with the teachers, understandably). As a drawing gets built upon, it rarely gets more dynamic. The structure stiffens things up, so if you push the gesture, it ends up looking much cooler.

Like I said, I've got a looong way to go...but I feel good about it now. Taking this roadblock head-on and trying to really find what my own aesthetic is has made things much more enjoyable and is already paying off big dividends (in my opinion), because even though I'm still really crude with the longer drawings, I'm on a path to build better foundations for them.

Here's the main video that inspired me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j39NqwL7s4&t=705s

And the Q&As were also helpful for thinking about it further:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ktfwayByRU (one of my instructors is a scribbly line person)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_YSxO5ojls
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: February 01, 2017, 09:56:25 AM

Also, making time is my #1 challenge. That's why I'm cultivating the habit of drawing during my breaks at work. School helps a ton with that, but I still need to find more time in the evenings to draw, and I've never painted at home other than just basic block-ins for class. It's a definite challenge for working folks to carve out time when you have chores, a spouse, tired from work, etc.

On the other hand, it's also rewarding as heck when I do make the time and have some new art to show for it. One of my favorite things about art is that unlike music (unless I'm recording) or games, books, tv, etc: I have a tangible thing to mark how my evening was spent. I feel like I did something worth doing.

Even the retirees in class complain about not having enough time. Nobody does!
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: February 01, 2017, 10:02:39 AM

Thanks for the link!  I started watching a bit of the first video, but work isn't too conducive to that sort of thing, lol!  I understand the principle and actually, already do something kind of similar.  I start with more of a stick figure when drawing from my head and then build up the shapes from there.  I do like what I did see of his process though.  I agree, it's like how fashion drawings are done and those are cool.

I did manage to work a bit again on the watercolor mosaic and even though I was tired (yesterday was month end and we had to reconcile capital costs from last year into this month's recovery, blahblahblah) and go home late from work, it still was nice to get a tiny bit more accomplished on the piece.  Even if it wasn't much, it felt good, so I can totally understand that feeling.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: February 01, 2017, 07:39:18 PM

Wednesday night oils! https://cashwiley.com/2017/02/01/wednesday-night-oils-11/

Third painting is a go! Onward!
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: February 01, 2017, 11:57:07 PM

Scotty or Stalin???

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: February 02, 2017, 06:33:41 AM

Scotty or Stalin???

I immediately thought Scotty as well when I saw the second pic.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: February 02, 2017, 12:46:06 PM

That was the running joke of the evening, yes.

He even said 'there be whales here' at one point.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: February 03, 2017, 07:19:30 PM

When I took my live drawing class a few years ago, my frustration was that my work was best when I was closer to abstraction--I could see it, the teacher could see it, the other students could see it. But I don't want to do more abstract work--it's a curious mismatch of what my brain wants to do visually and what I admire in other artists. One of my basic problems is perspective--my mind just really does not want to visualize it in the usual way.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: February 03, 2017, 08:46:35 PM

Yeah, I'm dreading/looking forward to tackling perspective at some point.

I'm working on another comic art copy, from Simone Bianchi who is fucking bananas. I knew a couple of the guys I'm copying from, but I've found a bunch of new (to me) names. A simple copy like a J Scott Campbell sketch takes about a half hour, my Planet Hulk Alex Ross copy was about an hour....I think I'll be around three hours before Ororo is finished. But it's going to be pretty cool and I've learned a lot about working detail in graphite. Biggest problem is rubbing off stuff!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: February 05, 2017, 02:47:10 PM

The Simone Bianchi copy is more or less done.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: February 11, 2017, 01:50:40 PM

Started a master copy! https://cashwiley.com/2017/02/11/judith-wip-1/

And here's the start of first painting on the class portrait:

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: February 11, 2017, 02:03:44 PM

The red shirt has got to be on purpose.  Tell me he's wearing that color on purpose.

Looking good.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #235 on: February 11, 2017, 02:30:04 PM

My arting these days is mostly digital - in this case, the cover for my upcoming Cthulhu novella. I'm proud of this one.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: February 11, 2017, 08:16:09 PM

So after checking, I now know I've missed books 2 and 3 in this series. Glad I have a book buy coming up. Like it!

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: February 11, 2017, 10:34:19 PM

Cthulhu or hentai?  this guy looks legit
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: February 12, 2017, 03:41:14 AM

Cthulhu or hentai?  this guy looks legit
Why not a little of both. DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: February 12, 2017, 12:44:23 PM

Values underpainting for Judith.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: February 13, 2017, 11:52:20 AM

The latest on the watercolor mosaic piece.  

I've run out of the scraps I was using for the sky, so now I get to improvise somehow.  Yay!

Sky - I find it fascinating to see how you work up the paintings with the underpainting to the final layers.  It's been so long since I've done actual representational painting but I really don't remember learning any of that.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: February 13, 2017, 12:17:21 PM

It's the old way that isn't taught in modern schools. My instructor was atelier-trained.

About half of the students in portrait class drop out by the halfway point because it's not direct painting that they're used to doing and they think it's a waste of time. Not only does it construct a nice painting, but it develops layers you can't get with alla prima, the kind of physical and optical depth that can't be photographed (because the light from above reflects against each layer differently to the eye of the viewer).

It's definitely not for everyone!
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: February 14, 2017, 10:27:33 AM

Yeah, it's just a more "thorough" way of teaching, one that probably focuses on the basics rather than jump right into putting down color.  I should look around to see if there are any portrait classes around here.

Stayed up a bit late last night and finished the watercolor mosaic.  Added some iridescent paint on a few pieces here and there to add some interest and because I felt like it.  I love how it looks so I had to restrain myself and not put too much on.  Now to decide how I'm going to seal it  and then move on to the next canvas.  I need to have both done by the end of this month, which won't be a problem.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: February 14, 2017, 11:23:20 AM

In the atelier method, you don't paint for a year or two (hard to say, since you also don't get graded, you show mastery of each phase to move on to the next, it's possible to never advance if you suck bad enough). And then it's painting in pure values black/grey/white, of subjects you learned to draw in carbon/charcoal previously.

Like the mosaic, good improv to finish the sky. Only criticism is something you already pointed out, would be nice if the edges were cleaner.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: February 14, 2017, 01:46:28 PM

That looks amazing Rhyssa!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Art Thread (NSFW)  
Jump to: