Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:35:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Index/Oculus/Vive/PSVR 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Index/Oculus/Vive/PSVR  (Read 213702 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #665 on: March 09, 2020, 11:25:19 PM

It could be they are just banking on TP being the new currency in the post-corona world.  And, hey, maybe.  But now everyone on the block knows who to go murder, so I don't see it working out.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #666 on: March 10, 2020, 06:35:46 AM

That's the way we look at houses with 2nd amendment signs festooning the yard. Resupply caches.

Anyway. Index. Apologies.  why so serious?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #667 on: March 23, 2020, 03:17:13 AM

Alyx dropping today.  I am trying to muster the required enthusiasm, but I cannot quite get there.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #668 on: March 24, 2020, 02:34:58 AM

Alright, first impressions.

-The graphics are unbelievable.  It looks absolutely insane.
-Having Striders pop out of nowhere and stop on the roof you are standing next to is something everyone should experience.
-The gravity gloves are cool.

I am sure I will have more to say.  I am still in the early parts where they are easing you in to how things work.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #669 on: March 24, 2020, 06:45:44 PM

I got my Index set up over the weekend, played enough Beat Saber and Boneworks to get the general hang of this VR thing, and am 3 hours into Alyx.

The worst thing I can say about it is that it's probably going to ruin other VR games for me.  Like Cyrrex said, the graphics are incredible.  I thought I'd passed the point of being able to be impressed by game graphics, but having a giant world where you're able to physically get up close to things and see tiny details brings things to life in a way I couldn't have imagined.

The controls are pretty cool.  I'd gotten used to Boneworks's everything-is-physical scheme where you have to clutch at your shoulder or hip to access specific items in your inventory.  Alyx borrows some of that but adds in a quickswitch menu that's bound to your weapon hand, so you can pull out a shotgun by pressing a button and flicking your hand to the left; much less awkward than trying to get your hand over the exact right holster.  Ammo is over your shoulder (and it's always just whatever goes with the weapon you're holding), and you have extra inventory slots in your wrists that are easy to find.

The weapons are really satisfying; the sights are easier to use than might be "realistic" (I had a lot of trouble with Boneworks's gun models) so hitting things feels as easy as in a normal FPS if you want to take your time and steady your aim, but you still have that nice tactile reloading action, and you can still shoot wildly from the hip (which I've frequently found necessary when a headcrab gets all up in my business).  The upgrade mechanic is cool.  I'm really hoping to get my hands on a gauss cannon or something further down the line.

The puzzles are tons of fun and mostly have to do with figuring out how to work weird Combine tech rather than how to stack crates.  Many involve holographic displays that you have to grab and rotate in three dimensions; they wouldn't translate at all to a mouse-based interface but they feel really good with the knuckle controllers.

The environments are really nicely designed for immersion and exploration.  I find myself doing a lot of physical crouching and tiptoeing to try to see under and over things, and it doesn't feel gimmicky, it just feels like the natural thing to do.  I wish I had a larger room; at the smallest possible "room scale" I periodically have to stop and "reset" myself because I've gotten distracted and physically walked over to something or turned to investigate something in a corner and am now too close to a wall or in danger of twisting myself up in the cable because I can't remember what direction I'm facing in the real world.  Being able to just enjoy the illusion and wander around some of these spaces for longer before having to physically reposition myself would be great.

All in all, so far this is an A+.  GJ Valve.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #670 on: March 24, 2020, 09:22:39 PM

Free math lesson on angles vocabulary courtesy of HL: Alyx:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T2-9MwA5JI
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #671 on: March 24, 2020, 11:33:31 PM

Stuff

Yeah, what you said.  I played a bit more after my original post, appear to have logged about 2.5 hours, so you are probably a bit ahead of me.  I feel with the graphics here they have made something of a real breakthrough.  Other games have looked good or even great, but I was thinking to myself yesterday they they have reached a pinnacle here that I didn't think we would be seeing for at least another generation of HMDs and GPUs.  Like it has reached a point where ordinary video games did some years ago where "I don't need the graphics to get any better than this".  The detail on everything is absurd, and super sharp.  Sometimes I pick up head crabs just to marvel at how they look.  And the engine is super efficient, I am basically running it at full blast, albeit only at 80hz (my old eyes apparently don't need more).

This game is a Grand Slam.  I feel more strongly about it already than I ever did with HL2.  And just think if/when they begin applying this engine to their other stuff.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #672 on: March 25, 2020, 01:21:18 AM

I'll play it in a day or two, after my slow ass connection finishes download the 60 GB's.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Heh, it uses the Source 2 engine.  These are all the games made using it so far:

Year   Game
2013   Dota 2
2016   Robot Repair
2018   Artifact
2020   Dota Underlords
Half-Life: Alyx

One of these is not like the other.   awesome, for real
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 10:09:15 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #673 on: March 25, 2020, 01:24:02 AM

Well, Robot Repair also had incredible visuals.  Was a taste of what was to come.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #674 on: March 29, 2020, 09:37:56 AM

The chaps at DF look at Alyx on a min spec PC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZK6fYP4nuE

Alex also said it was nicely playable from seated
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #675 on: April 06, 2020, 06:00:05 PM

I'm on chapter 8 of Alyx.  13 hours so far, which is longer than I was expecting it to be, but none of it has felt like filler.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #676 on: April 07, 2020, 12:22:55 AM

I only just started chapter 6, not really sure how many hours in total, but I am surprised how long it is.  And it has been excellent all the way through.

It's kind of strange in how it is absolutely 100% Half-Life, but it plays so much differently.  I find myself going very slowly through things.  Partly because it really pays to check the nooks and crannies, partly because everything looks so amazing that I get lost in it, and partly because it feels like you have to be careful with the bad guys.  And the ammo.  And the puzzles are so fucking satisfying, even if they aren't particularly difficult (yet....I can see they keep adding layers).  Also, anytime a vortigaunt appears, I feel like I am literally standing there talking to a fucking alien from space.

In some sense it is a shame that this is still limited to a niche audience.  Because it is definitely the best game that will come out in 2020.  Unless Valve themselves manage to outdo themselves.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #677 on: April 07, 2020, 10:03:07 AM

Finished this morning.  There are 10 chapters (ish) and total playtime for me was 16 hours.  I'll probably go back and do a second playthrough so I can achievement-hunt and fuck around with different combat strategies, but I think I want to try to expand my play area a bit first so I have more degrees of freedom.  Right now I have the absolute minimum room scale dimensions, so I can pick between a "wide" area and a "deep" area depending on which way I physically orient myself, but it'd be nice to have a square and not need to decide before each fight "do I want to be able to easily grab and throw things a few feet in front of me or do I want to be able to easily slide in and out of cover".  I think if I rotate my desk I can make it work.

Going to try to resist too much spoilery talk until at least one other person has finished it.  Except: there is a post-credits scene and you'll want to stay for it.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #678 on: April 07, 2020, 11:18:31 AM

About to go on two week lock down here Friday, everybody shelter in place.  I'm hammering out my Borderlands and other stuff ahead of time, and will go all in on VR stuff when I have all day to fuck around.  Will see how fast I can hammer this one out.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #679 on: April 07, 2020, 11:53:12 AM

About to go on two week lock down here Friday, everybody shelter in place.  I'm hammering out my Borderlands and other stuff ahead of time, and will go all in on VR stuff when I have all day to fuck around.  Will see how fast I can hammer this one out.

But I mean...you are going to play Alyx, right?  I mean, before the embassy gets stormed or something.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #680 on: April 07, 2020, 01:06:36 PM

About to go on two week lock down here Friday, everybody shelter in place.  I'm hammering out my Borderlands and other stuff ahead of time, and will go all in on VR stuff when I have all day to fuck around.  Will see how fast I can hammer this one out.

FWIW, I've mostly been playing in sessions of an hour or less so I have a chance to rest my eyes/neck, mop my brow, etc.  If you're a VR veteran you might be able to wear a headset all day without having it impinge your gaming experience, in which case godspeed.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 01:27:43 PM by Samwise »

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #681 on: April 08, 2020, 09:50:02 AM

Yes, I'm going to burn through Alyx I meant.

And having full days off helps with that for me Sam.  I also can't go much longer than that per session, but after a rest of an hour or more, I can jump back in.  So having multiple days off will allow me to cram several session a day in to get kind of an on running experience.

Also going to use this lockdown to go the opposite direction than most and go on a strict diet/work out routine.  VR being the main piece of the workout aspect.   awesome, for real

-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #682 on: April 08, 2020, 10:45:00 AM

Uh, VR is not a workout  Ohhhhh, I see.

FWIW, as a VR veteran, I still find that taking a break after an hour is a good idea.  Probably less true for younger folk, but I don’t think a person should be doing this for handfuls of hours a day.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #683 on: April 08, 2020, 11:08:11 AM

Heh, now that I count up the days, I played Alyx for an average of exactly one hour per day until I was done (16 hours of playtime, and I finished on the 16th day after release).

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #684 on: April 08, 2020, 11:16:14 AM

I am skipping days, but doing about the same.  Played a bit more today than usual, just because I just got lost in it.

At one point, I tried to elbow a door open.  And then remembered that I don’t have elbows in VR.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #685 on: April 08, 2020, 11:19:11 AM

At one point, I tried to elbow a door open.  And then remembered that I don’t have elbows in VR.

I keep wanting to kick things out of the way, yeah.  The fact that your gun is a physical object is useful though; I find myself using it a lot to push doors open and smash windows, since it extends further than my hands do (especially after bolting a bunch of upgrades onto it), and if there's a bad thing on the other side now my gun is already in its face.   DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

(edit) speaking of upgrades, I held off on the grenade launcher upgrade for way too long because I wasn't sure if it'd be worth it.  In case you're in the same boat: it's super worth it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 11:29:56 AM by Samwise »

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #686 on: April 08, 2020, 11:20:37 PM

Uh, VR is not a workout  Ohhhhh, I see.
45 minutes of Pistol Whip and Beat Saber has me completely covered in sweat, arms/legs burning, and heart rate consistently up to the same I get from running on a treadmill.  Bonus, it's way more enjoyable than running on a treadmill!

It's very much a workout, unless you are already in shape.   tongue

-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #687 on: April 09, 2020, 12:15:16 AM

At one point, I tried to elbow a door open.  And then remembered that I don’t have elbows in VR.

I keep wanting to kick things out of the way, yeah.  The fact that your gun is a physical object is useful though; I find myself using it a lot to push doors open and smash windows, since it extends further than my hands do (especially after bolting a bunch of upgrades onto it), and if there's a bad thing on the other side now my gun is already in its face.   DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

(edit) speaking of upgrades, I held off on the grenade launcher upgrade for way too long because I wasn't sure if it'd be worth it.  In case you're in the same boat: it's super worth it.

My main gripes with grenades in general is that you cannot store them....does the same go for the launcher?  Because that is the main reason I didn’t upgrade it the first time I had a chance.  I often find myself walking around with a grenade in my off hand, just in case I will need it.

Also, was pinned down yesterday by a couple of combine soldiers.  They tossed a grenade at me, so I used my gravity glove, pulled it to me, chucked it back and killed them with it.  I almost creamed my pants with glee.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #688 on: April 09, 2020, 07:21:02 AM

My main gripes with grenades in general is that you cannot store them....does the same go for the launcher?  Because that is the main reason I didn’t upgrade it the first time I had a chance.  I often find myself walking around with a grenade in my off hand, just in case I will need it.

The launcher attachment only holds one, but that's one more than the two you can hold normally.  It also makes each individual grenade more effective by improving your yeeting accuracy.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #689 on: April 09, 2020, 07:40:00 AM

I suppose half the problem is that I am storing health/bug canisters and injectors.  Which I rarely use, but fear I will need.  I should probably just be carrying grenades instead.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #690 on: April 09, 2020, 07:53:58 AM

Yeah, storing health stuff is a waste of precious inventory slots (which I figured out about halfway through after constantly carrying around two injectors that I never ever needed).  Especially the bug canisters, since there's always one lying around somewhere near the machine that needs it.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #691 on: May 03, 2020, 11:13:59 PM

Still very slowly progressing through Alyx.  Just managed to get passed .  What a dick.  What a fantastic game.

I also noticed that Borderlands 2 VR was 50% off, and that they have fixed it for Index, so I took the plunge.  Some things are a bit janky, but well, it is Borderlands in VR.  Pretty amusing.  Worth it for 25 bucks, but not at full price.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #692 on: May 04, 2020, 12:45:59 PM

Sony’s capacitance-based finger tracking system.

https://youtu.be/IZpgjymt9Xc
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #693 on: May 04, 2020, 01:22:46 PM

Still very slowly progressing through Alyx.  Just managed to get passed .  What a dick.  What a fantastic game.

Yeah, that whole sequence was just the best executed gameplay of that type I've seen in a game, I think.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 01:48:28 PM by Samwise »

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #694 on: May 20, 2020, 12:20:27 AM

Have only just now made it to chapter 11 in Alyx, and will be sad to see it end.  And will probably fire up a new game immediately.  This game exceeded my expectations in every way, I am astounded by what they did here.  It is like a VR game a generation or two before its time.

Also figured out something I wish I would have tried earlier.  I turned the graphics setting all the way down to low.  I had it on max up until then, and will admit I couldn't really tell a huge difference upon turning it down.  On the other hand, I was then able to crank the supersampling up to around 200%.  Holy Shit.  I already kinda knew that resolution was more important than other graphical niceities in VR, assuming framerate is still met, but damn.  I cannot believe how good it looks when you turn up the SS and I cannot believe a second gen VR set can pull this off....although surely most of the credit here goes to the engine Valve made for this game.  Fucking incredible.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #695 on: May 22, 2020, 07:50:59 AM

And finished.  The last chapter was fucking superb.  If for no reason than it really showed what the engine can do.  The potential for horror....yikes.

Also, there is already a workshop for this with a bunch of content?  I mean, most of it is probably crap, but the one that I added was actually just fine for kicking about and shooting head crabs. 

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #696 on: May 22, 2020, 02:26:56 PM

Also, there is already a workshop for this with a bunch of content?  I mean, most of it is probably crap, but the one that I added was actually just fine for kicking about and shooting head crabs. 

I would suggest a mod that combined Half Life and Beat Saber. Instead of of blocks you get headcrabs jumping toward you...

awesome, for real
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #697 on: May 23, 2020, 01:28:59 PM

And finished.  The last chapter was fucking superb.  If for no reason than it really showed what the engine can do.  The potential for horror....yikes.

I got some American McGee's Alice vibes from that last section, yeah.  Be fun to see what they come up with for the first VR Portal game.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #698 on: May 30, 2020, 09:29:02 AM

Finally got around to re-installing Skyrim, and had to use a couple days fiddling with the mods to get it working how I want.  Was having all kinds of issues with the Script Extender, the perk mods, etc.  Also found a new basic mod list which really made the graphics looks nice, much better than what I had before.  As much as I like Fallout when it is running properly, I gotta say this game is #2 next to Alyx.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #699 on: April 20, 2021, 11:29:51 AM

Maybe just rename the VR thread, I went scanning topics for VR and missed it twice  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

My next thing is buying some VR gear and trying it out.

Not there yet on pulling the trigger.
I poked around for news about a new Valve set and best speculation is just based on some vague patent applications (likely wireless and/or AIO) and past update cycles for VR headsets in general. The cycles seem to run around every couple of years, so given the pandemic the best (terrible speculative) guess is Q2 2022 if you're looking for the next Index.

For me, it's games availability and maturity of the overall experience (referencing Cyrrex's last post about messing with settings, I'm willing to wait until that's minimized a bit more).
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Index/Oculus/Vive/PSVR  
Jump to: