Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:31:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Index/Oculus/Vive/PSVR 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Index/Oculus/Vive/PSVR  (Read 213687 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #630 on: February 13, 2020, 10:17:24 PM

I'm up for anything really.  Only really Beat Saber so far (and it's fucking great).  Curious what your top recommendations are.

Though also curious if there are any 1.)  Legit scary ghost/freaky room type games 2.)  Games designed for sitting down.  I'm planning on using Beat Saber to help stay in shape, so I'm fine with all the room scale stuff.  Just curious what the other side offers, heh.

Before we get ahead of ourselves, I think you need to get your VR legs under you.  Do you own Elite:Dangerous?  Not only is it a great test for your stomach, it is also amazing in VR.  And it is sit down.  If you don't have it, you could try House of the Dying Sun, which is more arcadey, but also a great space pew pew game  that has you sitting down and will work your stomach over.  Other obvious sit-down games would be either of the Dirt Rally games or Project Cars 2.  Trover Saves the Universe I talked about earlier is a 100% sit down game and will be easy on your stomach.

To say that there are legit scary games in VR is an understatement.  It has to be the scariest medium that exists.  Five Nights at Freddy's is not my kind of thing, but apparently it is underwear-changing scary.  There are dozens of others.

There are bunches of other first person style games to talk about, but you should probably try out a few demos of things so that you can figure out if/when you are ready to move around without teleportation.  Teleportation is the devil, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.  One excellent and cheap way to test your limits is Doom 3 BFG with the easy to install mod.  It is also a damn good VR game.  But yeah, see what kind of demos you can find.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #631 on: February 14, 2020, 06:26:11 AM

A lot of the complaints for games like Skyrim and Fallout being converted to VR were all like "wait, you mean I cannot grab the lids of treasure chests, open them up, reach in and grab the contents between my thumb and forefinger?  This is not VR!!".  Which is beyond stupid.  No way in those kinds of games do you want to be fumbling around with that kind of shit, especially consider how much interaction it would actually require.  Some made for VR games do it to a limited degree (see:  Walking Dead), but they rarely or never go all out with that stuff.  If I want to do that kind of thing, I can just go clean my kitchen or something.  That isn't the kind of shit that makes games fun.
One of the best mechanical touches I've heard in a review was Yahtzee's description of using pistols in Boneworks (inserting mags and racking the slide).

If you put in physical mechanics like that, it's got to add to the experience. Loading pistols is part and parcel of shooter gameplay and I think adds not only to immersion, but to gameplay as well. Having to clear out treasure chests coin by coin would be really amazing the first time. Then it would be a pain right in the butt for the rest of the game. I'd be looking for a scoop and bag or something...meaning a lot of work to get coin-grabbing right would be completely wasted.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #632 on: February 14, 2020, 07:47:58 AM

Quite true, but it doesn’t always need to be that way, depends on the game.  Some games have a certain pace where you want an auto reload.  Others - like Walking Dead for starters - the reload mechanic is a huge part of the game.  Fallout doesn’t have it, but I would also say that it doesn’t need it.

Speaking of Walking dead, after the restart I mentioned, I got back to where I was (with more success) and have made it to the next area.  To my surprise, the next area was full of live humans, and they were fighting each other.  I guess factions are a thing here.  Unfortunately, my reason for being in the area was to grab some intel from a drop point in some kind of fountain in the side yard of a house.  Said house was involved in a shootout.  So what the fuck am I suppose to do?  Walking up to live strangers will usually have them get nervous, and ultimately have them point their gun at you (at which point it is time to run).  Anyway, I still don’t know how this game works, so I decided to just rush the lone female who was defending the house.  I ran up, smashed the whiskey bottle I was holding on the porch pillar, and shoved it through her eye.  Hah!  It worked!  Except two seconds later, the front door bursts open, and three male companions run out and start shooting the other dude the female was in a shootout with.  Hah!  They don’t see me!  Whiskey bottle is obviously toast, so grab a screwdriver on my belt and quickly puncture two skulls.  Third guy moved off, don’t think he ever saw me.  Run through front door.  Guy up the stairs on his way down may not have seen me, I run elsewhere in the house.  Lone girl in the kitchen.  Seems that there should be a door out the side to that fountain I mentioned somewhere around here, going to have to try and brain her.  She is looking right at the doorway I am hiding behind, and she is clearly on alert, has a gun.  Still afraid guy from the stairs is coming, no idea, gotta go kill her now.  Stand up, sprint, screwdriver at the ready......and I am dead.  Fuck.  That’s a dropped pack I will never retrieve, full of goodies.  Glad I left my newly crafted bat-with-nails back at my base, but fuck, there goes my bow and arrow why oh why did I fucking take all that stuff with me.  And like 3 screwdrivers.

It remains to be seen if I will stick with this for very long, but 5 years ago this would have been my favorite thing ever.  And from a licensed game, no less, I was sure it was going to be garbage.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #633 on: February 14, 2020, 08:51:05 AM

Sounds good...except for the 1-shot corpse run mechanic. Boo.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #634 on: February 15, 2020, 08:57:23 AM

<<Inaccurate post. Deleted>>
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 09:01:38 AM by Falconeer »

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #635 on: February 15, 2020, 12:15:53 PM

Sounds good...except for the 1-shot corpse run mechanic. Boo.

TBD.  The stress of surviving is the whole point of the game, so I am not sure the corpse run thing is a bad thing.  And it wasn’t like I was one shot, there is more to the health and stamina functions that I will come back to at some point.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #636 on: February 21, 2020, 11:44:51 AM

Though I'm on record as a "sitter" for VR....

Dude...

https://www.beswinvr.com/

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #637 on: February 21, 2020, 11:22:17 PM

Then you'd be a big fan of my sorry looking homemade rifle adapter, which is some plastic pipe, a bunch of foam, a bunch of nuts and bolts (weighting) and a ton of duct tape.  Sadly, the Index controllers don't seem to have the form factor to easily do these sorts of things, so I think almost all of these solutions are for Vive controllers.

The ones you see here are obviously unnecessarily elaborate.  Not like you can actually see the thing with your HMD on.  Pretty sure simpler 3D printed versions can be found on ebay.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #638 on: February 22, 2020, 04:29:20 AM

Alright, back to Walking Dead.  Same level I got killed on before.  Took a bit more time this time to scope the place out, and yeah, there are other options.  There is a garage with a ladder to the roof of the neighboring house, so I scale that sumbitch...only to find out that the guy patrolling the balcony of the target house can totally see me.  I fumble around getting my revolver out, but too slow, he kills me.  Okay, fine, I have a better idea of what to do now.  Go back, and take a look at the hole in the fence that was booby trapped.  This time, a zombie has decided to crawl in there and set off the traps (hooray emergent gameplay).  This route is still a no go, even though the birdhouse with the package is right there, because I cannot see who might have eyes on it.  But it has caused a bit of chaos.  Back to the garage and up the ladder.  This time, dude across the way does not have the drop on me.  He doesn’t see me yet.  I aim, headshot from about 20 meters, he dead.  None of his fellow guards notice, they are too busy fending off zombie or other unfriendlies at the front gate.  Slowly creep towards the edge of this garage roof I am on.  The lady who took out the earlier zombie is right below me now, does not know I am there.  Headshot.  Everyone else still seems to be fighting at the front gate.  I can see the intel package sitting in the birdbath, just as promised.  Gotta hurry, I think, the other guards will be coming back.  I chance dropping down.  It takes a chunk of my health, good thing I had enough to spare.  Grab the package, skeedaddle the fuck out of there, back out the hole in the fence that used to be boobytrapped.  There are a few zombies lingering about, but all other attention is still at the front gate.  I run back to my airboat (did I mention New Orleans is flooded?  It’s flooded), level clear.

Me like
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 04:31:00 AM by Cyrrex »

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #639 on: February 22, 2020, 12:02:47 PM

Gameplay aside, your description makes The Walking Dead sound like the second season of Fear the Walking Dead, where the "heroes" travel from safe house to safe house and make damned sure there is nothing left but zombies once they leave.

Is there any way to play this game where I am not mostly murdering the last human survivors on Earth?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #640 on: February 23, 2020, 12:05:21 AM

Well, that depends on what you mean.  Certainly it seems clear that even trying to kill everyone is going to get you killed.  On the other hand, it seems difficult to go into some of these places and NOT kill a couple.  But the tools appear to be there attempt to be more stealthy and less of a killing machine.

So I would say that - as it should be - other humans are the real danger.  But at the same time, you aren’t looking to eradicate them all, not by a longshot.

My current playtime represents around 2 hours, so the dynamic may change.

glennshin
Terracotta Army

Reply #641 on: February 28, 2020, 09:50:49 AM

Do you still play SkyrimVR? Do you guys go to /R/Skyrimvr?

So, I've been playing SkyrimVR since around Aug 2019. Mostly modding/testing for stability.   Tons of great resources.  The guy who modded VRIK ( a vr body!!) is there a bunch.  SO many good VR specific mods now. Just been enjoying the hell out this Vampire necro playthrough recommend (UNDEAD FX) which adds decay to your reanimated minions.

You're not kidding when you say this is sliced bread, that only keeps getting better.  It was a just a complete cosmic coincidence that the YUGE modding options overwhelmingly work in VR.  I've around 380 mods/249 plugins.  Everytime I go in I'm still hit with awe.  Lover's Lab has got you covered for the more perverse mods.  Absolutely nothing wrong with modded titty collisions!! anyway

Seen a guy use his VorpX to set up RDR2 and he was all OOOOs and AAAAA and just kept apologizing for not talking for being in complete awe.  Ya I want to try Red Dead 2 in VR.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #642 on: February 28, 2020, 10:13:04 AM

I guess GTA 5 is also a thing now in VR, but I am waiting for it to get further along.  I guess resolution is a bit of a problem, and it is all xbox controller.

I am not currently playing Skyrim, but that is mostly because I had to do a fresh install of Windows and haven’t yet mustered the energy to reinstall all the mods.  But yeah, Skyrim VR is THE SHIT, and it looks and runs amazing.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #643 on: February 28, 2020, 11:18:19 AM

When I hear things like RDR2 and GTAV I start getting a lot more interested. Thank you guys for your service  awesome, for real
jth
Terracotta Army

Reply #644 on: March 06, 2020, 04:10:18 PM

PSA:
Valve Index VR kits will be available for purchase this Monday (March 9th) starting at 10 AM PDT (5 PM UTC).

Due to high demand, we expect available stock to sell out on Monday. All purchases beyond this initial quantity will be fulfilled in the order in which they are received, as supplies increase over the coming months.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #645 on: March 07, 2020, 12:00:40 AM

If past experience is any indicator, they will be sold out again within 10 minutes.  Maybe within 2 minutes.  Maybe within 1 minute.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #646 on: March 07, 2020, 08:07:21 AM

Yeah I'm gonna be lined up hammering their servers; I was annoyed at myself for not ordering one last fall in the hopes of getting a Black Friday deal.   swamp poop

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #647 on: March 07, 2020, 09:01:51 AM

I have a feeling it is going to be like that at least until a comparable HMD is released as competition.  Not buying now means waiting another 3 to 6 months.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #648 on: March 07, 2020, 09:51:20 AM

This is why I got a Rift S.  You probably should to, if for no other reason than valve doesn’t deserve the cash if they can’t actually provide their fucking product.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #649 on: March 07, 2020, 10:32:40 AM

I have a feeling it is going to be like that at least until a comparable HMD is released as competition.  Not buying now means waiting another 3 to 6 months.

these things are made in china

so, add 10 months
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #650 on: March 07, 2020, 10:38:48 AM

Hah, indeed, just goes to show that we might have to relearn some shit.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #651 on: March 07, 2020, 03:23:21 PM

This is why I got a Rift S.  You probably should to, if for no other reason than valve doesn’t deserve the cash if they can’t actually provide their fucking product.

Yeah, if I can't get an Index out of this next batch (i.e. in time for Half-Life) I'll get something else.  Womp womp.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #652 on: March 08, 2020, 03:03:03 PM

Between scarce stock, manufacturing chain issues from coronafun, and the new console generation...I'm still waiting for v2 of the Index.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #653 on: March 08, 2020, 10:46:08 PM

Just in case there is any confusion, HL will be playable on basically every HMD.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #654 on: March 09, 2020, 07:58:31 AM

Just in case there is any confusion, HL will be playable on basically every HMD.

I'm assuming it will be designed to take advantage of the Index controllers in particular, but yeah, that's why I say I'll get something else if I can't get in on today's batch.  Playing HL:A on release is a major motivator to take the plunge on something.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #655 on: March 09, 2020, 08:28:08 AM

I haven’t been watching the videos, but yeah, I assume it will incorporate more grip and finger tracking than average.  That said, finger tracking is overrated.

jth
Terracotta Army

Reply #656 on: March 09, 2020, 10:04:06 AM

Managed to order an Index, I think. Order -> error -> Reload -> Order -> error -> Reload -> Order -> Ordered + email confirmation.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #657 on: March 09, 2020, 10:15:22 AM

Congrats.  Here’s hoping it doesn’t come pre-loaded with Covid-19.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #658 on: March 09, 2020, 11:08:15 AM

Congrats.  Here’s hoping it doesn’t come pre-loaded with Covid-19.

Bro, why?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #659 on: March 09, 2020, 11:19:20 AM

That’s just my view of the entire world right now.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #660 on: March 09, 2020, 12:31:05 PM

Are you stocked up on toilet paper?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #661 on: March 09, 2020, 02:02:42 PM

That looks more like somebody trying to make a quick buck on eBay.
schild
Administrator

Reply #662 on: March 09, 2020, 02:11:18 PM

I haven't shit enough in my lifetime to need that much toilet paper, so yea, that's some ebay shit

also amazon is still stocked so this is stupid
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #663 on: March 09, 2020, 10:55:10 PM

You also have to wonder....if things get to a point where you can really only buy TP on ebay for 50 bucks a roll, what are the chances shipping services will be functioning at all?  Not likely, I would think.

schild
Administrator

Reply #664 on: March 09, 2020, 11:00:15 PM

zero, the answer is zero

these are not smart people
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Index/Oculus/Vive/PSVR  
Jump to: