Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:31:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Helldivers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Helldivers  (Read 8414 times)
Bungee
Terracotta Army

on: January 05, 2016, 05:21:57 AM

I'm really surprised there isn't a thread for this game already (or my search just sucked again...).

Anyway- endless fun when played with some friends. One can jump into other people's squads though, too.

Steam link

Edit:

Some Twitch footage.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 06:26:39 AM by Bungee »

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 01:39:10 PM

I've played a few hours of this with friends. It's a good game. Sort of like a slower, more tactical Alien Swarm. Made by the Magicka people. Too much DLC. Don't know if it's any good solo or with randoms.

noobtip: use the auto-turret for everything. Absolutely everything, until you've progressed enough to understand why you shouldn't.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 02:33:18 PM

Is it an MMO?

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 03:41:09 PM

No, you and 0-3 friends drop onto a planet full of infinite amounts of hostile aliens, dick around, and then get extracted. It's like if the first chapter of Starship Troopers were a video game.

There's some sort of semi-persistent war campaign where the aliens can capture zones or be pushed back based on where the community is fighting, but I don't know if it amounts to anything more than an elaborate level selection menu.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 03:54:15 PM

Yeah, not a big deal, but I was surprised to see it in the MMOG forum.

schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 08:55:37 PM

Is there loot?
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 08:56:24 PM

No, unlocks.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 01:15:58 AM

Yeah, not a big deal, but I was surprised to see it in the MMOG forum.

World of Tanks/Warships is there too, so I figured lobby/session/multiplayer based games fit there. It originally came out for PS4 though so maybe PC/Console would be a better fit.

Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 01:17:35 AM

Is there loot?

Yes, there is. In the form of "Samples" scattered throughout missions. 2 Samples get you 1 Research Point which you spend on weapon/stratagem/vehicle upgrades.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 05:46:26 AM

Is there solo play for us antisocial types or is it all co-op?

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 05:48:18 AM

Is there solo play for us antisocial types or is it all co-op?

You can do all missions solo, yes. You can also just join some random guy's session.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 10:13:27 AM

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 11:47:40 AM

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 05:36:35 PM

Leveling up gives you your core gear while completing planets gets you extra randomized goodies. All of it can be upgraded over time, and mixed and matched from mission to mission. Diablo-style loot wouldn't work very well because it's not a game about killing aliens. It's a game about not getting killed by aliens while you play DDR for the glory of The Emperor Democracy. It's better that the vulnerability of the player characters be held more or less constant.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 12:27:22 AM

Looked a little bit like open world, four player smash tv from what I saw of the steam videos.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: January 16, 2016, 01:30:05 PM

Is there loot?

Yes, there is. In the form of "Samples" scattered throughout missions. 2 Samples get you 1 Research Point which you spend on weapon/stratagem/vehicle upgrades.
This is not loot.
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 22, 2016, 01:25:12 AM

Really fun game, like a mix between Magika and Night of the Dead (WC3 map). A lot more fun in a coordinated team, it manages to be tactical without ever becoming too serious. You're running around, completing map objectives while trying to avoid killing each other as you're swarmed by bugs, cyborgs and highly advanced aliens.

The game is also bluntly satirical, so it doesn't take itself seriously, either.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Helldivers  
Jump to: