Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:50:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Paramount and Hasbro Shared Universe 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paramount and Hasbro Shared Universe  (Read 17368 times)
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: December 21, 2015, 10:21:46 AM

They're going to tie it into the Anne Rice universe, and he's just reprising Lestat.

beer geek.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36 on: December 21, 2015, 11:19:23 AM

Stop giving Hollywood ideas.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: December 21, 2015, 11:21:45 AM

Stop giving Hollywood ideas.
Someone needs to...

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #38 on: December 21, 2015, 01:19:57 PM

Or at the very least, a goddamn different set of someone's because fuck me.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: December 21, 2015, 01:29:13 PM

Or at the very least, a goddamn different set of someone's because fuck me.
The infinite number of monkeys are doing the best they can, but with technology limited to typewriters they can do only so much...

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #40 on: December 21, 2015, 01:44:47 PM

It occurs to me that Hollywood is doing its damnedest to make that maxim literally true.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #41 on: December 27, 2015, 08:34:00 AM

If we're just naming old cartoons we liked, I used to watch Silver Hawks and Galaxy Rangers. Plus MASK and Centurions, but they've been already mentioned.

I'd probably hate them now if I saw them.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: December 27, 2015, 10:23:22 PM

Real talk: Spiral Zone would make an amazing Hollywood blockbuster.

The secret best cartoon that nobody remembers.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: December 28, 2015, 07:13:24 AM

While we're at it, Great Space Coaster should be thrown in... because no gnews is good gnews without...

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #44 on: May 27, 2018, 04:17:14 PM

Transformers movies are all pretty horrible but I do have to say that I'm excited for the Bumblebee movie.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #45 on: May 28, 2018, 08:11:22 PM

Transformers movies are all pretty horrible but I do have to say that I'm excited for the Bumblebee movie.
It seems like it will be the last.

Maybe. I know the next Transformers movie was bumped from the schedule, but if Bumblebee can avoid the stigma of those movies I can see it getting follow-ups. It's a movie I was completely dismissing until I heard that Laika president and Kubo and the Two Strings director Travis Knight was doing it. Since then I've seen/heard some other things that have me looking forward to it as well.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: May 28, 2018, 08:55:55 PM

They'd rather reboot it into their *shiver* shared Hasbro universe.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: May 29, 2018, 07:38:36 AM

It's literally this, along with Gi Joe MASK and some other crap.

I am the .00000001428%
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: May 29, 2018, 04:46:37 PM

I enjoyed the Mask toys and may still have some packed away somewhere. But I can't see how they'd make a good movie.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: May 29, 2018, 10:25:38 PM

I enjoyed the Mask toys and may still have some packed away somewhere. But I can't see how they'd make a good movie.
Um, what?  A secret organization that fights crime using crazy awesome transforming vehicles? Play it like some kind of Bond Movie, except with a spy team instead of lone spy, where the vehicles are the ultra gadgets and I would watch that in a heartbeat.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: May 30, 2018, 02:17:16 AM

Yeah, I can see it but not sure how well they'd differentiate it from the modern GI Joe.

I also really do not see how you marry up GI Joe, the Transformers and Mask all being on the same earth having had those movies be around for so long already without referencing anything from the others. I mean, without looking like an obvious cash grab to anyone under the age of 12.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: May 30, 2018, 03:22:14 AM

Um, what?  A secret organization that fights crime using crazy awesome transforming vehicles? Play it like some kind of Bond Movie, except with a spy team instead of lone spy, where the vehicles are the ultra gadgets and I would watch that in a heartbeat.

The vehicles and stuff are awesome. But the central conceit of the toys was the masks the characters wore. Each mask had what was basically a super power. And we know that it's a rare actor who will act under a helmet for a full movie. And while it worked for toys and cartoons you couldn't make it work well in a film. And if you remove the masks, well, you've removed the central conceit of the entire thing.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: May 30, 2018, 03:25:47 AM

hmm, it's been literally ages since I actually watched the show as a kid, I admit, so I don't really recall the masks themseves having any special abilities.  Thought they just basically served as the interface / control mechanism for the vehicles.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: May 30, 2018, 03:29:40 AM

Masks>Suits with masks that retract Iron Man style whenever the main characters are doing anything that isn't CGI battle scenes.

Really after the rash of super hero movies with masked characters that argument just seems weird: Batman, Spiderman, Iron Man, Captain America, Black Panther etc., etc. Film makers take some liberties and have the mask off for nearly every non fighting scene.

Edit: No the masks could do stuff like levitate things, one of the bad guys had a flamethrower I think? One could project hologram illusions. Barely remember this now and it makes the whole thing seem a bit over the top, 'throw concepts at a wall and see what sticks' kind of thing.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: May 30, 2018, 06:26:56 AM

I also really do not see how you marry up GI Joe, the Transformers and Mask all being on the same earth having had those movies be around for so long already without referencing anything from the others. I mean, without looking like an obvious cash grab to anyone under the age of 12.

Pretty sure they are all going to be reboots, that's why the transformers series is ending with Bumblebee.

I am the .00000001428%
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: May 30, 2018, 10:53:03 AM

Yeah, I can see it but not sure how well they'd differentiate it from the modern GI Joe.

To be fair only about ten people remember modern GI Joe...but I get what you mean, MASK is just GI Joe with different vehicles.  The only way it could work well is to have MASK be a small unit of personalities like guardians of the galaxy(or fast and furious) that are always a team and then have GI Joe be your avengers with each having very specialized abilities.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: May 30, 2018, 11:14:02 AM

There is a thread to ignore the Hasbro universe.

http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=25104.0

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: May 30, 2018, 05:16:01 PM

Pretty sure they are all going to be reboots, that's why the transformers series is ending with Bumblebee.
Mask could easily be worked into the existing transformers setting, as the original Mask comics used reverse-engineered transformer tech as the basis for it's vehicles.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #58 on: May 30, 2018, 05:56:22 PM

Sounds like work on a Mask movie has stalled out for the time being anyway (as has work on a ROM movie). Micronauts and G.I. Joe have been scheduled for 2020, but then a Snake Eye solo movie was just announced a couple weeks back and it's not clear if that is going to be the 2020 G.I. Joe movie. Also, given that Transformers 7 was only recently removed from the schedule, Paramount's plans for the Hasbro properties still seems to be very much in flux.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: May 31, 2018, 05:41:09 PM

The only one of these that vaguely interests me is Micronauts, and that's mostly just because they were the best fucking toys ever made by human beings.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: May 31, 2018, 06:40:00 PM

My extensive GI Joe collection begs to differ. I hope their movie does good so it shoots up in price :P

I am the .00000001428%
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: June 01, 2018, 03:55:10 AM

What's kind of annoying about GI Joe is that the modern comic book reboot was actually kind of fun. The movie was such generic action schlock it was painful. They really suffer from the issue some of the pre-Marvel comic movies did where they were too afraid to put characters into costumes and instead gave them more realistic uniforms with uniform colour palettes. Which makes it really fucking hard to identify anyone and thus remember who is who.

The Hasbro shared universe idea is a fucking disaster because building up one or two of those franchises is a lot of work and I don't think they have any kind of vision for actually pulling it together. If they could get a couple of people who really did love the toys and had fun with the comics and could come up with a concept they could start working on 1 or 2 of the things. The problem is this is literally driven by some executives going 'hey, we've got a licence for this property and Marvel are doing well with a movie franchise building up a universe and producing more and more stuff. Let's do that!'

That kind of copycat bullshit works in some mediums but blockbuster movies? They need some kind of creative backing, they might not be art but they need to be entertaining and if you're going to pull off a shared universe they need some real Vision stuff.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Paramount and Hasbro Shared Universe  
Jump to: