Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:32:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Aging and videogames: when do you begin to suck? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Aging and videogames: when do you begin to suck?  (Read 26567 times)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: December 02, 2015, 12:55:35 PM

I can game and watch TV if the game isn't story-based. Like if I'm playing D3 or HOTS? I'm watching sports on the TV. If I'm playing Witcher 3? No.

You can play Hero League in HOTS or do high level instances in D3 while watching tv?  You're a better man than I am. 

If you're just grinding pve... that I could understand.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: December 02, 2015, 01:52:42 PM

Like others are saying I can game and watch something depending on the game. I almost always have Twitch up but I'll turn the volume way down if it is something I need to focus on.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #72 on: December 02, 2015, 03:23:32 PM

I can game and watch TV if the game isn't story-based. Like if I'm playing D3 or HOTS? I'm watching sports on the TV. If I'm playing Witcher 3? No.

You can play Hero League in HOTS or do high level instances in D3 while watching tv?  You're a better man than I am. 

If you're just grinding pve... that I could understand.

Uh no. I'm just grinding and having fun. Under no circumstances am I doing anything really competitive in gaming anymore. That's part of the age thing for me, I have the patience of a gnat when it comes to that shit anymore.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #73 on: December 14, 2015, 02:31:08 AM

This is clearly never ever gonna happen simply due to the fact that there is no way to check people age. But, and I hate to admit it, I would LOVE for online games to have some servers for older people. In football for example there are 35+ (and even 45+) Leagues for a reason. Now, again, this is never gonna happen, and I would probably suck anyway, but daaaamn I miss it.

In other news, turns out I DO need new glasses and that my eyesight has seriously declined in the past two years since the last check.

*whine*

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: December 14, 2015, 07:28:12 AM

Leagues based on age? You suggest forming some kind of community!

That's no longer possible, unfortunately.

Bow down to your new, horrible matchmaking overlords.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: December 14, 2015, 08:17:49 AM

Leagues based on age? You suggest forming some kind of community!

That's no longer possible, unfortunately.

Bow down to your new, horrible matchmaking overlords.

Yeah, if there is one thing I really dislike about multiplayer gaming lately it is the lack of a server browser.  After Tribes: Ascend just released that major patch for the first time in a few years I loaded the game back up and was delighted to see a list of servers I could choose from.  What a novelty!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #76 on: December 14, 2015, 01:14:17 PM

In other news, turns out I DO need new glasses and that my eyesight has seriously declined in the past two years since the last check.

*whine*

Welcome to life over 40. I understand it's even worse in the 50s and 60s and vision needs checks every 9-6 months to keep-up.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: December 23, 2015, 07:57:09 PM

Well, I'm 56 and I still just get vision checks every year or two, and my prescription hasn't changed for several years now.  But I do take off my bifocals and put on my computer glasses to use the computer, both at home and at work!  Get off my lawn!

As for slowing down, I don't play competitive anything anymore, or high stress games like FPS or RTS either. But yeah, I still notice the slowed and less-accurate responses. I just chalk it up to alcohol. And then I take another sip.  why so serious?

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: December 23, 2015, 08:30:10 PM

My vision has actually gotten noticeably better recently. Still need glasses though.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: December 23, 2015, 08:32:05 PM

Mine did too for a few years, about 15 years ago...

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #80 on: December 25, 2015, 04:13:37 PM

I've been playing Nuclear Throne for sixty hours over the course of the last ten days and this game makes it explicitly clear that I'm too old for that shit. I've once reached the eponymous Throne (Level 7.1) and instantly died.

A dual stick shooter bullet hell where my fourty year old reflexes simply can't keep up. I've seen videos of people looping the game (the game's term for NG+) three times. There's so much going on in terms of number of enemies and shit happening on screen in NG+++ that I can't even comprehend what's happening anymore.

I usually manage to get about half way through until I day due to too much shit going on and me no longer writing in time.

Doesn't matter it's insane fun even though I suck at it.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: December 27, 2015, 05:23:55 PM

I've been playing Nuclear Throne for sixty hours over the course of the last ten days and this game makes it explicitly clear that I'm too old for that shit. I've once reached the eponymous Throne (Level 7.1) and instantly died.

To be fair, though, that still puts you in the top 10% of all players (according to the achievement stats).  Nuclear Throne is a fairly difficult game, I'm not sure how much you can blame old age.  As you noted in the other thread, those guys who are on loop three have mostly been playing this for years.  You don't need millisecond reflexes, most of the projectiles have travel time and rely more on preparation and positioning than split second bullet dodging.

I was stuck on Lil' Hunter for like a week right up until Christmas Eve and I still haven't gotten to the throne once, so you've got me beat, but I don't know that young me would be any better at this.  It wasn't twitch reflexes or attention that was kicking my ass, it was not knowing his patterns and not having a feel for the fight, and I don't know that being older has impacted my abilities there.  Probably the one advantage my younger self had was a more limited budget, so if I got Nuclear Throne, that was the one game I'd get for the next few months, so that was all I'd play for weeks.  Nowadays I'm swimming in games I haven't even played, and the instant Nuclear Throne gets boring I'm off to kill some orcs or whatever, so I suspect my rate of progress is slower than it would have been as a kid, but I don't know that I'd blame old age for that.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #82 on: December 30, 2015, 01:25:54 AM

I find unless I'm in a tournament or something, I can't game for more than 1-2 hours at a stretch without wanting to do something else, even when the game is good. I've been doing Shadowrun Dragonfall in 45-90 minute chunks because I just have to stop after that. I think I have ADHD.

I have the same kind of thing these days. It depends on the game, though. Games where I can set my own pace (like MMOs, Destiny, etc) I find that I can play for much longer stretches than something like a relentless FPS. The FPS I think I got the best at would have been BF1942 and DC. Of course, over the years, those games have all but disappeared to be replaced by an endless stream of newer game, so changes in systems and map knowledge goes by the by - and I have neither the time nor motivation to "keep up". I probably average between 5-20 gaming hours a week when I'm at work (as opposed to holidays like we are now). Most nights after work I'm too smashed to give the slightest fuck about throwing a game on.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: December 31, 2015, 12:06:32 PM

During the megadrive/SNES/arcade years as a teen I could drop in and out of alpha/zen more or less at will when playing SHMUPs. Noticed that was harder in my 20s, rare in my 30s and cant remember the last time I did it.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: June 03, 2016, 09:36:53 AM

/necro

One thing to check, before deciding that your reaction time stinks, is your video card. I recently replaced mine and realized I'm not as bad at playing as I thought, because of an old graphics card that was creating lag for me to respond correctly.

(I'm still not good, but not nearly as bad as I was.)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #85 on: June 03, 2016, 09:39:41 AM

I fix this by playing console games, but yes, sometimes it is just a shitty game experience.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #86 on: June 03, 2016, 10:51:08 AM

I fix this by playing console games, but yes, sometimes it is just a shitty game experience.

Yeah but even then... the console kiddies are light years ahead of me in terms of refined thumbstick skills as opposed to my evolved mouse skills. I'll just stick with killing bad players and be fodder for the 733+ console players.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #87 on: June 06, 2016, 09:09:53 AM

I'm not sure I was ever good enough to be anything other than shit in competitive MP.  Ask around the board.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: June 07, 2016, 05:04:16 PM

I loved playing RTSs but about ~10 years ago my click fu just wasn't cutting it anymore.  Maybe for single player, but not any competitive play. I used to be not great, but better than average and even competed in tournaments (AoE, back in 90s).

Never really got into FPS games other than Wolfenstein 3D :D

A bigger factor for me, than age, might be poor vision -- even with corrective lenses I still have trouble with smaller, moving pieces.

Now I just play strategy games like Civ, Paradox offerings, & Hearthstone.

Time to play is a big factor -- even as our kids our grown, I just can't skimp on sleep like I used to do (i.e., be playing all night, & notice sun rising :)). I watch a lot of pro Hearthstone streams, & I see pros doing 8-15+ hour streams & I just wouldn't have that kind of energy unless I guzzled G Fuel and/or coffee.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Aging and videogames: when do you begin to suck?  
Jump to: