Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:43:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Tree of Saviour - That Ragnarok Online feeling... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tree of Saviour - That Ragnarok Online feeling...  (Read 38710 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

on: November 24, 2015, 01:17:48 AM

Kim Hakkyu, creator or Ragnarok Online, left Gravity Games back in 2002 to go make his own games. The first effort was Granado Espada (Sword of the New World), which I think was really cool, and the second one is Tree of Saviour which is the spiritual successor to Ragnarok Online that RO2 wasn't.

This is a grindfest that plays like Diablo + Final Fight + Bejeweled/Candy Crush. Sounds horrible and it probably is, unless you have some attachment to some of the common element between those games and, of course, Ragnarok Online.

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04gGYUdJ9SM

It can be played well with a controller, but I feel that it is in mouse mode that it is the most fun: you drive around like Diablo and literally smash whatever appears on screen with the typical explosion sounds and crispy addictive sounds. The UI is extremely polished and the whole game flows extremely well. You can't really tell from the screenshots, but while this is clearly a dinosaur, it is somewhat pleasant to play.

Another element that has to be mentioned is that Tree of Saviour comes with 80 classes. You obviously unlock them as you grow, but supposedly the hardest to unlock classes aren't necessarily better than the ones you start with. It's just a matter of choices and flavour. See for yourself.

The setting is Lithuanian (!) folklore, which I am pretty sure it is a first in gaming.

It is in closed beta at the moment but it is not too hard to get a key. My favourite part there is that it activates on Steam.

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 08:40:15 AM

RO was the first MMO I played, before I even knew there's such thing as MMOs... but I'd like to think I got a clue or two about them since.

Which is to say, nope.jpg ACK!
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 08:56:57 AM

Are bunnygirls a staple of Lithuanian folklore? [themoreyouknow.jpg]

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 09:20:47 AM

Are bunnygirls a staple of Lithuanian folklore? [themoreyouknow.jpg]

Hey, give me a break here. RO was "based on Norse folklore"  awesome, for real

Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 10:37:38 AM

I might take this for a spin. How... does one get a key? :P

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 11:12:43 AM

G2A, for the price of a bag of chips.

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 02:17:52 PM

I've been casually keeping an eye on this. Honestly the combat doesn't look great, but the class system has a lot of snowflake potential, and the streamers I've watched seem to actually spend most of their time roaming the countryside murdering things instead of tracking quest givers and going through house-decorating tutorials and interpreting poorly-documented currency systems and all the other bullshit that I expect from an MMO. "Not being filled with diversionary wank" is all it takes to pique my interest anymore, apparently.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 12:55:12 AM

The combat isn't as bad as it looks. It is an EXTREMELY watered down version of Diablo (not sure if it changes over the course of the 600 [six hundred] levels available in the game) but as such it is pretty relaxing and pleasant. It plays slightly better than it looks though and it makes you feel overpowered as you'd expect from any hack 'n slash. It helps that all enemy attacks are avoidable, meaning you can just move away from their attack animmation or their telegraph and dodge pretty much alla damage. That feels nice and keeps things alive.

Yesterday I changed my first class, from Swordswoman to Highlander, and after being greeted by a whole bunch of new skills I can spend points on (while still being able to use the old ones) I realized what the insanity of almost 70 classes actually means. In a good and bad way.

As I said, it's incredibly retrograde but addictive and a lovely thing to play while watching something else on another screen, or listening to radio dramas, talking on the phone, etc. Access to the beta is "for sale" for about 2$ and as much as I think this game is somewhat ridiculous and a time-space anomaly, that's possibly the best use I've ever made of 2$. It has already swallowed 8 hours of my time, 8 hours I didn't even think I had.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 02:58:19 AM

What's  the download footprint on this thing?  Mildly tempted to give it a whirl, but I really dont want to drop 10+ gig to install it (if it is anything like most other mmo's out there), as I am currently sharing the internet connection of the folks I am renting off of, and they get annoyed when I rape their monthly cap.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 03:12:18 AM

It takes 6 Gb on disk once installed, and the download was pretty much the same size.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 08:57:18 PM

I see they have appeared to cut to the chase and just made everyone a female character.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 11:32:42 PM

Hehe, no. You can pick. No gender locked classes.

EDIT: Most recent trailer.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 12:41:21 AM by Falconeer »

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 11:10:18 AM

Is the $2 beta one where they are wiping after it ends? When is release?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 29, 2015, 01:55:51 PM

No one knows when it's going to release. The game is in closed beta in Korea too, so it's probably gonna be a while. And I don't know if they are gonna wipe, but I would think so. They are probably not gonna wipe after Open Beta, but after Closed? I hope so. Also, the keys price has raised to about 5$ apparently.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 29, 2015, 07:51:05 PM

They also said anyone actually selling the keys is doing so illegally, so you're funding someone other than the company making the game there.

https://forum.treeofsavior.com/t/announcement-on-commercial-activities-with-beta-keys/74885
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 07:54:31 PM by Ard »
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 29, 2015, 08:14:40 PM

It looks fun but I'd rather wait until it's properly released or at least in Open Beta. Not for any reason related to the ethics of buying illegal keys, but because I don't want to start over from scratch when they wipe all the data.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 19, 2016, 02:23:22 AM

This is open for purchase on Steam now. The business plan is weird: the game is gonna be free to play... in a month. You can pay for a MONTH long headstart (which begins March 29th) or just get in for free on April 29th. For sale are packages ranging from 10 to 50$ with varying amounts of RMT coins and decor items.

Anyway, it's up for purchase now. Playable in a week. Free to play in 5 weeks. And it is a lot of fun if you are into these kind of games.

Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 19, 2016, 02:38:04 AM

I'll be picking it up, I've been needing something new to play.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #18 on: March 21, 2016, 09:57:49 AM

Say more about this game, please.  Just today I dl'd and started playing Asta, a very Asian looking mmorpg.  For some reason I've always been attracted to Asian MMOs.  I even played Lineage for about two years back in the olden days... well, until I couldn't face going into the Ant Cave even one more time.  Asta took most of the Asian out and replaced it with WoW.  I'm not sure if that's good or bad, at least for me.  The tutorial really makes you feel like a baby gamer, even more so than WoW.  Since there are two factions, I'm guessing there is some PvP around here somewhere.  It's a very lonely game, though, so I may never find out.  I might actually be the only semi-living person on the NA server.   ACK!  Still, this Tree game is about as adorable looking as a game can get.  I'm also very attracted to adorable.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 22, 2016, 01:43:23 AM

All I can tell you is that it is ridiculously adorable. Everything is. The visuals, the sound department, the combat, the million classes, the vastity of the world. It's a constant grind in the sense the Diablo is: you just go where the monsters are and kill billions of them until they give you what you want. Minus the loot of course, here you fight for XP so you can unlock other classes (there's about 80 apparently, including SECRET ones) so keep that into account. But if you are into the art style and an active grind this game is somehow soothing and relaxing and blissful as a cherry flavoured hard drug.

schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: March 24, 2016, 03:26:43 PM

Falconeer,

Will I like this and if so, should I get one of the early access packages? As in, are they worth it?

I like diablo, hacking, and slashing and loot.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 24, 2016, 03:56:25 PM

As usual, Schild: "Loot sucks in this game". At least for your rightfully high standards. Sorry.
About the early access packages, depends if you want to get in at the beginning of the game and with a fresh server for 10 dollars, or you are OK coming in 30 days after everyone else for free. I think you also get some Money Credit with the preorders, but I have no idea what you can buy with it. Probably some I-Win-Potion. Which is not that relevant after all cause, you know, loot sucks in this game.
Hacking and slashing? There's an infinite amount of that and it's quite hypnotizing, but it's in slow motion compared to a Diablo.

I think you should give it a try in a month when it goes free.

schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: March 24, 2016, 04:10:03 PM

Loot sucks leaves me out of it. Thank you sir.

Edit: Actually looking at it, why does loot suck?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 04:13:01 PM by schild »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 24, 2016, 04:18:33 PM

Because it's not Diablo nor Hellgate London and not even something as basic as The Division or Auto Assault ( why so serious? ). Loot stats are not randomly generated, hence, it sucks.

schild
Administrator

Reply #24 on: March 24, 2016, 06:39:10 PM

Because it's not Diablo nor Hellgate London and not even something as basic as The Division or Auto Assault ( why so serious? ). Loot stats are not randomly generated, hence, it sucks.
So, you're saying I hit X level and I just buy what i need or I have to grind bosses to get it?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 24, 2016, 06:44:22 PM

Uuuhhh I don't know I haven't progressed that much. I am pretty sure grind is the keyword here though. There's, I think, 500 levels.

And here's an item database you can check for yourself. Use the tabs at the top to see the different weapon categories.

http://www.tosbase.com/database/items/equipment/

schild
Administrator

Reply #26 on: March 24, 2016, 06:53:52 PM

I mean, there's 8 pages of gloves. So while it may not be random, there's certainly more loot than Diablo, which has like, 50 gloves, tops. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 25, 2016, 06:59:57 AM

That's right. I already gave them my ten euros a week ago, but if I didn't that page would have just convinced me too.

schild
Administrator

Reply #28 on: March 25, 2016, 01:59:58 PM

Buh. I bought it.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 25, 2016, 02:05:51 PM

This game deserves an f13 Guild. How else are we gonna do the party-only bosses?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #30 on: March 28, 2016, 09:01:45 AM

Do it.  I'll see you in April.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: March 28, 2016, 09:31:25 AM

So I can do the $10 package and play starting tomorrow? 

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 28, 2016, 10:43:42 AM

Yes.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #33 on: March 28, 2016, 12:08:29 PM

God help me, I use to make fun of my roommate for playing Ragnarok online back in the day.  But this honestly looks and sounds exactly like the type of thing I want to play right now.

Got a pack, guess I'll see how it is tomorrow.  Anybody got a link to a decent guide that explains how leveling/advancement works?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: March 28, 2016, 12:21:34 PM

Sadly, I don't. I am taking it lightly and I want to discover things as they come. Schild on the other hand has probably already researched everything that needs to be known. He should share the knowledge.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Tree of Saviour - That Ragnarok Online feeling...  
Jump to: