Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:48:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Battletech - The New Single Player game from those who made the new Shadowrun 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Battletech - The New Single Player game from those who made the new Shadowrun  (Read 83341 times)
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #280 on: June 02, 2019, 11:09:06 AM

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: June 02, 2019, 01:47:31 PM

The series "Tex Talks BattleTech" from the same channel is very good, as well. 

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: March 27, 2023, 11:19:06 PM

I felt like necroing this thread.

This game is lots of fun. I'm into career mode after a campaign game and still enjoying it enough I'm considering mods at some point.

Anyone had a lot of experience with them? I'm wary that a lot of them seem to be way too much, and just slow everything down and over-complicate things?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #283 on: March 28, 2023, 12:37:23 AM

This game was so good. My love for the BattleTech lore may have played a part, but it was a very entertaining spin on XCOM and I wish they made a sequel right away (spoiler: they aren't). Anyway I just got carried away. I tried one mod that was super popular at the time, like Long War for XCOM), and it seemed to be as good as advertised, but by then I had already invested 100 hours and I was ready to move to something else so I didn't go too deep into it. I think it was RogueTech.

You know what, this necro is making me want to go back and replay this, I may as well redownload RogueTech or try some of the other big ones. I am reading good things about BattleTech Advanced 3062.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: March 28, 2023, 08:22:31 AM

I felt like necroing this thread.

This game is lots of fun. I'm into career mode after a campaign game and still enjoying it enough I'm considering mods at some point.

Anyone had a lot of experience with them? I'm wary that a lot of them seem to be way too much, and just slow everything down and over-complicate things?

I haven't used them much but THIS post should have all the info you need.

I am the .00000001428%
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: March 28, 2023, 12:04:52 PM

I've got almost 3000 hours into Battletech and played all of those three major Mods (Battletech Advanced, Battletech Extended and Roguetech) plus Hyades Rim extensively over the years.

The link by Threash makes a relly good job outlining the different mods.

I'll add a short summary here if working though that is too daunting :)

Battletech Extended is the most lore friendly and keeps close to both the base game and the possibilities of the world. There are no technologies or Mechs that don't exist in the Rule Books, Mechs have quirks that differentiate each other, but modifying mechs doesn't go much beyond the base game (for better or worse). Its basically the base game with more factions, more quests Flashpoints and more Loot. With different lore compliant starting years for your campaign. This is the version I settled on at the end.

Battletech Advanced goes beyond the base game in almost every aspect, but keeps it consistant (as a possible iteration of the future). It has even more Flashpoints, even more Mechs and even more Loot, changes up the base game and combat mechanics, lets you overhaul and rebuild your mechs to your liking. My preferend Mod for quite a while, but if you play it long enough you realize that all Mechs are basically the same if you can exchange the engines, heat sinks, and armor at your liking. It is billed as being harder than Battletech Extended, but after a few months of game time you have the parts to rebuild every Mech as a contender for the best Star League era beasts, only being different by tonnage and weapon hardpoints. But until then it is a hell of a ride. Also, factions are at war with each other and you can join a side to attack and defend contested star systems and get paid for it.

Roguetech goes even beyond that. It also changes weapon classes around, renames almost every item and introduces a visibility and sensor subsystem that make the battles radically different. It is its own unique flavour that you either love or hate it seems. I always stuck with Battletech Advanced over it because it shares some of the developers and most unique ideas of Roguetech trickles down into BTA. But if you can get into it it might be the best thing since sliced bread I hear. It also has Online play where the galaxy changes with the actions of all the players participating.

Hyades Rim has interesting flashpoints, but all the game systems are basically vanilla with unbalanced custom mechs.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: March 29, 2023, 06:27:27 AM

Ah shame Hyades is a bit of a fizzer. Yeah I've read the overview post but the problem with those is they're often written by the diehards who somehow don't get that adding heaps of new systems and changing everything and making every battle take 1 hour to play isn't quite what  the average player might enjoy.

Something that adds a bit of variety to the mission types and some more personality to the pilots for some feeling of uniqueness from career to career is all I'm really looking for.
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #287 on: September 24, 2023, 11:26:55 PM

this guy looks legit
I'm going to necro this as well having finally joining this... I'm loving the vanilla campaign and will retry with one of the mods mentioned

Ping me if for a multiplayer game sometime!  awesome, for real

I've got almost 3000 hours into Battletech and played all of those three major Mods (Battletech Advanced, Battletech Extended and Roguetech) plus Hyades Rim extensively over the years.

The link by Threash makes a relly good job outlining the different mods.

I'll add a short summary here if working though that is too daunting :)

Battletech Extended is the most lore friendly and keeps close to both the base game and the possibilities of the world. There are no technologies or Mechs that don't exist in the Rule Books, Mechs have quirks that differentiate each other, but modifying mechs doesn't go much beyond the base game (for better or worse). Its basically the base game with more factions, more quests Flashpoints and more Loot. With different lore compliant starting years for your campaign. This is the version I settled on at the end.

Battletech Advanced goes beyond the base game in almost every aspect, but keeps it consistant (as a possible iteration of the future). It has even more Flashpoints, even more Mechs and even more Loot, changes up the base game and combat mechanics, lets you overhaul and rebuild your mechs to your liking. My preferend Mod for quite a while, but if you play it long enough you realize that all Mechs are basically the same if you can exchange the engines, heat sinks, and armor at your liking. It is billed as being harder than Battletech Extended, but after a few months of game time you have the parts to rebuild every Mech as a contender for the best Star League era beasts, only being different by tonnage and weapon hardpoints. But until then it is a hell of a ride. Also, factions are at war with each other and you can join a side to attack and defend contested star systems and get paid for it.

Roguetech goes even beyond that. It also changes weapon classes around, renames almost every item and introduces a visibility and sensor subsystem that make the battles radically different. It is its own unique flavour that you either love or hate it seems. I always stuck with Battletech Advanced over it because it shares some of the developers and most unique ideas of Roguetech trickles down into BTA. But if you can get into it it might be the best thing since sliced bread I hear. It also has Online play where the galaxy changes with the actions of all the players participating.

Hyades Rim has interesting flashpoints, but all the game systems are basically vanilla with unbalanced custom mechs.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Battletech - The New Single Player game from those who made the new Shadowrun  
Jump to: