Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:23:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Battletech - The New Single Player game from those who made the new Shadowrun 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Battletech - The New Single Player game from those who made the new Shadowrun  (Read 83295 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #210 on: May 05, 2018, 02:23:50 PM

I'm not sure. I know that on that particular mission, I whacked 1 Jenner and 2 Panthers so I do think there is some correlation between the mechs on the field and the salvage available.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: May 05, 2018, 02:30:19 PM

Headshot or Dead Pilot ;  3 pieces of mech or, as we know it, as Full Mech.
2 Legs blown away ;  2 pieces of mech
CT Cored ;   1 piece of mech.

So, if you want to salvage a mech, don't fuck it up.  Bear in mind that weapons, sinks and all the rest are taken from the battlefield, so if you want that AC20, don't shoot the fucking hunchback in his hunch.

Although, if you do get 3 pieces, even if they were grabbed in a shite state, it will still build you a pristine mech.  For REASONS.

Easiest thing to do is kill the pilot.  Make the mech fall a couple of times, blow away a couple of shoulders, it'll be all yours.  The problem is pilots gain experience along with you, so soon they have 6 health and you can forget that shit.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
WayAbvPar

Reply #212 on: May 05, 2018, 02:30:52 PM

Made the mistake of reading this thread out of curiosity/boredom. Cost me $44  awesome, for real

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #213 on: May 05, 2018, 03:26:09 PM

RIP Big Sly, you silly KS backer you. A Dragon decapitated your Cent with a punch out of nowhere because I took out the HBK's hunch first thinking it was the major threat that turn.

By the way massive bug warning: on the House Decimus story mission make sure you blow up the objective before killing the last enemy. Killing the last enemy first counts as a fail. Where do I submit bugs anyways? This is the second one. I also killed an assassination target before I got the "dont let him escape" cue and that results in the mission never ending and forced a restart.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 04:13:58 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #214 on: May 06, 2018, 06:35:41 AM

What I am missing the most is the ability to change engines.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #215 on: May 06, 2018, 06:50:52 AM

Headshot or Dead Pilot ;  3 pieces of mech or, as we know it, as Full Mech.
2 Legs blown away ;  2 pieces of mech
CT Cored ;   1 piece of mech.

So, if you want to salvage a mech, don't fuck it up.  Bear in mind that weapons, sinks and all the rest are taken from the battlefield, so if you want that AC20, don't shoot the fucking hunchback in his hunch.

Although, if you do get 3 pieces, even if they were grabbed in a shite state, it will still build you a pristine mech.  For REASONS.

Easiest thing to do is kill the pilot.  Make the mech fall a couple of times, blow away a couple of shoulders, it'll be all yours.  The problem is pilots gain experience along with you, so soon they have 6 health and you can forget that shit.

Yeah, I’ve pretty much shifted to using my precision strikes exclusively on the legs.  The knockdown is great anyways, but its a first step to extra salvage also.

I’m finally in Taiwan, which I’ve always wanted to visit.  But.... man, I really wish I could come back and play this right now.  Started really getting into it right as I left.   Ohhhhh, I see.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
WayAbvPar

Reply #216 on: May 06, 2018, 09:04:12 AM

Well, played through the first couple of missions. Really digging it so far. It is also making me want to go back and play MWO again. This is good news, since I played it briefly around Christmas and spent WAY too much money on it, then promptly squirreled away to another game and never looked back.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #217 on: May 06, 2018, 02:34:16 PM

That, and it's making me want some Mechwarrior 5 goodness. December 2018

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: May 06, 2018, 04:22:53 PM

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: May 06, 2018, 07:55:28 PM

I do keep wondering about the people who build bases that they want defended but their own mechs walk right through the infrastructure without a care in the world.
Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: May 07, 2018, 10:42:04 AM

I had my first terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.  Took out a crew of 4x Highlanders with the intent to jump on some fools.  Walked out to go around the hill behind where the enemy was supposed to be, so I wasn't caught in the open walking up the hill at them.  Managed to trigger the reinforcement spawn at the same time one of the primary targets showed up on radar.  Reinforcements:  Banshee, Banshee, Highlander, Awesome-8T.  Main force:  King Crab, Banshee, Quickdrawn, Dragon.  Since only one my lance was part of the regular crew, none of the others had cockpit mods, so no free head hits.  This was also a crew of Mechwarriors I was leveling up, so they could take 4, 4, 5, and 6 hits (with the cockpit mod for Havoc).

I walked right into the reinforcement lance, and they were pretty big, so I tried to deal with them first.  In hindsight I should have done a bad faith withdrawal immediately if I wanted people to live.  Since we were on top of them already, we went straight to the DFAs.  That... didn't go so well.  It wasn't just the poor strike rate, but the non-stop rain of LRMs kept putting my Mechs on the ground and I didn't really have the stability to spare.  I gutted the Awesome and Highlander from the rear arc, cored the first Banshee, and the second was running around for 3 rounds with 10 internal remaining in the CT but I couldn't do anything about it because the LRM rain was keeping everyone on the ground.  Thrasher was first to go, ejecting with a full stability bar and 1 pilot hit remaining.  Havoc was next, taking a Banshee fist to the face - leaving 5, formerly, available pilot hits on the table.  The other two gave it a go, but there was just too much incoming fire crushing the stability bar.   No Highlander Burial to help quickly even the score, and the second time I've had a crappy Banshee deliver a blow to the face killing an experienced warrior.  

Since I only killed 3/4 of the Reinforcements I didn't get credit for an objective.  Since I killed only Reinforcement Mechs and not the primary targets that meant this was a Failure in Bad Faith - no cash, no salvage, 1 dead, 3 incapacitated.  Things go quickly off the rails when they go off the rails, most of the time I'm clearing these missions with only armor damage.  This was a rout, or it would have been if anyone survived long enough to retreat.  

« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 10:46:45 AM by Lightstalker »
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: May 07, 2018, 01:24:46 PM

War is hell.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: May 07, 2018, 03:38:34 PM

That's rather strange ;  the only other time I've ever had someone full out punch my cockpit and kill a bloke, it was ALSO a Banshee.

Is that just what they do ?

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: May 07, 2018, 07:56:50 PM

Well, I suppose they need to be able to do SOMETHING, since they're terrible at everything else except maybe damage soaking.

Is there any reason why the game warns you before the Coromodir mission that you need to be able to field multiple lances of mechs?  'Cause it's a filthy lie as far as I can tell.

I did it with the same 4 main pilots I always use.  Me in the shiny Highlander, Behemoth in a King Crab packed with SRM6++ and medium/small lasers, Glitch in another Highlander with a PPC and 2 LRM15++, and Dekker in an Orion with medium lasers and LRM20++/LRM15++.  I never hired any other pilots, in fact.  I just swapped in Medusa when one of the regulars was injured, or waited it out if more than one was hurt.

One mission early on left me with two pilots with 110 days in med bay each, which nearly bankrupted me, but that was the ugliest it got.

Behemoth was in a Kintaro loaded out with SRM++ for most of the game, and that thing kicked ass.  Missiles do suffer some from the damage spreading to multiple locations, but if they focused at all then it could easily one-shot a Heavy.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 08:06:39 PM by Polysorbate80 »

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: May 07, 2018, 11:54:01 PM

That's one criticism I have compared to XCOM. The game doesn't really ever push you to use different 'mechs or mechwarriors. Soon you get enough money to wait on your favourite 'mrchs and pilots after every battle and there is never any urgency. I hate being timed as a matter of fact, but I also don't like that you rarely have to matter about managing your resources. You can basically just let the time pass until whoever you want is ready. Bankrupt is only worrysome in the very beginning.

Sure, you could say you should change your drop deck based on the mission specifics, but we ever really know anything about the mission specifics other than the temperature?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: May 08, 2018, 01:38:13 AM

For the Coromodir mission :

Bit of a shame really.

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: May 08, 2018, 06:35:01 AM

For the Coromodir mission :

Bit of a shame really.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: May 08, 2018, 06:42:47 AM

I would honestly imagine that they believed you might use different mechs for those missions, rather than the simple Steiner Scout lance that you end up using anyway.

I started a new campaign and what's hilarious is how much better you are after one playthrough, so much so that the initial missions don't even scratch your paint and you can salvage whom you like.  The downside is .... well, exactly the same.  I've stopped that game for the meantime, with the view that another playthrough might be better done after a substantial patch so I can enjoy it a little more.  The fact that I have a fully upgraded Argo with tons of mechs to choose from and the galaxy at my beck and call didn't influence that decision at all.

Honest.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #228 on: May 08, 2018, 07:17:46 AM

So how are you guys speccing your pilots?  Which skills do you shoot for?  Is it the same for everyone or do you mix it up?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: May 08, 2018, 07:33:44 AM

I think it would be foolish not to mix it up.  While everyone eventually gets to 4x10 (unless they get punched to paste by a Banshee), it's the 3 skills that give the variety.

For my 'main' lance, Behemoth has
Multi-Target, Breaching Shot and Bulwark
Evasive, Ace Pilot, Sensor lock
Sensor Lock, Master Tactician, Evasive
Evasive, Ace, Multi-target.

I have quite a few others who just have various skills that I level as I can be bothered.  I only have 12 Pilots, so it's not a big deal.

I like Multi-Target because shooting 3 people is great.  Breaching shot is very dependant on your mech build, but if you have Big Booms like AC20 or the Guass, or you even a fucking Banshee, it works out nice.

Sensor Lock is OBVIOUS and really useful for calling targets and getting that evasion to fuck.  Master Tacs is handy to allow a heavier mech to have a bit more initiative and potential.  Evasive is just nice for everyone as it truly can't hurt.  I avoid it on missile boat pilots and go for Bulkwark for them and my bashers.

The only one I never touch is Juggernaut.  Because fuck that.  I may make a Banshee with all the mods on arms and legs and jumpjets and a bashy pilot one day for fun.  BUT IT IS NOT THIS DAY.

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: May 08, 2018, 08:52:58 AM

I gave everyone Evasive, Bulwark, and "shoot 'n scoot" (fire then move, forget the real name).  Except for Glitch who already had multi-target filled up.

Late game Evasive isn't used nearly as much except on the storyline missions that are forcing me to move a lot, but the half-damage passive is ALWAYS useful.

I don't find sensor lock as useful as a tanked out spotter (and don't like that it takes up an action).  Breaching shot and multi-target have their uses, but really the only special action I use is called shot.  Typically to the left or right torso, whichever side they've got the nastiest weapons loaded on.  I know it's wrong, but I don't do head/legshots for salvage.  If I can't core a mech outright, then I'd rather nerf it to relative harmlessness.  It takes a lot longer to pick up good mech chassis that way, but legs have too much armor and the head is too unreliable a target.  I also will forgo mech parts if they're not really useful and there's a good weapon/equipment piece in the salvage.

And I know it's fun, but I never ever DFA.  I did do it once in the Highlander just out of tradition, and wound up losing one of the double heatsinks.  No more of that  Ohhhhh, I see.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #231 on: May 08, 2018, 10:51:51 PM

I'm at the mass limit for the dropship:

Lostech Highlander (just the way I got it from the story, except for upgraded ++ versions)
50 LRM Highlander (once it shoots itself dry from 6 tons of ammo, it's DFA time)
All Laser Black Knight (can core *anything* if it rolls right on a Precision Shot)
Mostly lasers Grasshopper (has an LRM5 that's good for landing the feather-tap after the LRM Highlander has maxed someone's stability bar)

Any of those can core a Heavy in a single salvo on a Precision Shot, the maxed-out Black Knight can core an Atlas from point blank range (small lasers) if all the beams hit. Anything that takes a full spread from the LRM Highlander is going to have a maxed out Stability bar (they all have +1 stab damage). It only has 2 ML's once the tubes go dry, but by then it's usually down to the cleanup, and that's why I have the two beamer boats.

Fresh recruits can clear a 4 skull mission in this setup.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: May 09, 2018, 02:03:30 AM

I really, really like this game.

I went pootling around last night to collect a Victor ;  turns out that the mechs are actually faction specific in the game, so it's easier to find mechs that 'belong' to a certain faction in that space.  So there I was trying to collect my last bit of Victor (fairly easily, as it turns out as there were fucking 3 of them in the mission) and what should round the corner but a Zeus that I have never seen as yet.

It was cool as fuck and was an immediate collection target.  Alas, Behemoth got a bit carried away and accidently cored the fucker, but there you go.  It's an point to note that later on you start to collect those 'head protection' modules and, yes, the reason you're collecting them is because those assholes are using them.  I counted EIGHT 'pilot damaged' messages in a row and he still didn't die.

However, there were also headpunches and headshots galore last night, screenshots of which I took and will be available in a spoiler here later on because I just can't fucking help myself.

I've also reengineered the Lostech Atlas to be a 6mlas, 2srm6, 2 ac10 beast of fuck.  It runs so very, very cool with those DB heatsinks, so it basically cores out anything it comes across.

This is one of these games that has flaws, sure, but for me can only get better.

EDITED TO ADD :  If you haven't modified the Json that controls your contract rate yet, by the way, you really should.  Contracts is a bit of a dick in that you never really get the amount or range that you want and it's interesting to find out that this is an easily modded numeric value in a file !
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 02:12:13 AM by Ironwood »

Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: May 09, 2018, 09:51:09 AM

I, too, suffered many more headshots in the last couple days.  Including two killed in the same Atlas.  Keeps it real, also, helps me hit that hire all the guys achievement, just cleared 25 now with replacements for losses.  I've got 10 Highlanders in the stable, that seems a bit silly.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #234 on: May 09, 2018, 02:41:07 PM

I get a half chub when I think about how much they improved Shadowrun from the base game to Dragon's whatever the 2nd one was. If they can do that for this I look forward to managing a battalion sized (36 mechs) merc company spread across multiple planets fighting a multiple front war.  Heart Heart Heart

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #235 on: May 09, 2018, 04:59:55 PM

I'm just here for the PEW PEW LAZERS

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: May 10, 2018, 11:57:23 AM

I wish there was a way to burn a turn dropping a sensor lock or putting up some kind of chaff. I just did my first mission after getting my first assault mech and suddenly the one medium mech I have in the team is as popular as a stripper at a fraternity party.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: May 10, 2018, 02:59:21 PM

I wish there was some way to repair or replace DHS.  I don't even care about getting more of them, I'm just pissed off when I lose one.

Though the Gauss bug is quite funny.  If you ever repair a Gauss rifle, it multiplies, like Mogwai.

Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: May 10, 2018, 04:00:53 PM

I wish there was some way to repair or replace DHS.  I don't even care about getting more of them, I'm just pissed off when I lose one.

Though the Gauss bug is quite funny.  If you ever repair a Gauss rifle, it multiplies, like Mogwai.

Ahh, so that's where it came from.  Two Gauss rifles, and a plus damage PPC, on my Atlas make for a pretty devastating opening salvo.  Combined with Dekker's high spirits bug makes for fast and cheap cores. 

I've been flying around looking for more Gauss ammo, it should show up on planters with the research, rich,  and manufacturing tags, but I haven't found any in the stores yet.  If the rifle was cloned instead of salvage I'll reduce my expectations of finding the ammo for sale.

I'm tempted to play through again but keep the blackjack all the way.  I could probably cram the Gauss rifles onto it and not spend the whole game hiding from combat...
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: May 12, 2018, 07:12:23 PM

I was doing a bunch of missions with the payout & salvage minimized to raise faction faster, and I swear I’ve NEVER headshot so many mechs I couldn’t salvage  Heartbreak

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: May 13, 2018, 05:40:11 AM

After a certain point, money is utterly useless.  It's not a long time coming either.

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: May 13, 2018, 06:59:11 AM

It's not the cash, I'm sitting on 25 million or so.  It's having as many as three(!) fully salvageable assault mechs in a single mission after having dialed the salvage down to one pick.  Yeah, some of them shit like Banshees but it still hurts...

cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #242 on: May 14, 2018, 12:20:06 PM

Finished the story. Somehow the difficulty level of that went way down towards the end, when you can just curbstomp everything with a bunch of assaults.

Still, already looking forward to firing this up again every now and then to mess around in the post-game.
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: May 28, 2018, 11:53:07 PM

Don't know if anyone is still playing this, but I discovered an interesting bug.  You may know that you can go to the "Navigation" tab and travel to planets where you don't have a mission currently.  BUT, the map will also show planets where Daruis has set up contracts.  If you have a mission that you can't accept because of faction or merc rating, you can travel to that planet via the star map and one you click "Travel", it will ask you if you want to accept the mission on the planet.  Accept to bypass the faction requirement.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #244 on: May 29, 2018, 10:33:55 AM

Waiting on the big patch before really diving into this, myself.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Battletech - The New Single Player game from those who made the new Shadowrun  
Jump to: