Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:47:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Battletech - The New Single Player game from those who made the new Shadowrun 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Battletech - The New Single Player game from those who made the new Shadowrun  (Read 83301 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: May 12, 2017, 01:59:42 AM

That's looking real nice.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #71 on: May 12, 2017, 09:08:58 AM

Loving the way that looks.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #72 on: June 02, 2017, 01:08:08 PM

Pledgers got access to beta yesterday. I played with it for about an hour so far (only single player skirmish at the moment) and I must say it is really good! A lot of stuff is missing or rough as expected for an early beta but the core seems very solid.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: June 05, 2017, 04:45:39 AM

So, Baradul (Molten Metal, who some may know from his excellent MWO content) has been playing about with this.  It looks rather spiffy at the moment :

https://youtu.be/b83vG8LV_pg

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #74 on: June 05, 2017, 05:54:47 AM

This looks fantastic. I hope there's a solid 1-player version as I'm totally over multiplayer games once again.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #75 on: June 05, 2017, 08:10:25 AM

That looks shit hot.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: June 05, 2017, 12:14:51 PM

This looks fantastic. I hope there's a solid 1-player version as I'm totally over multiplayer games once again.

I started playing Friday night and got 15? matches in?  There is still some distance to go for the AI on basic tactics such as don't outrun your support and don't turn your back on the fire team in order to chase that light Mech.  I played it full screen, windowed, and streamed to the living room via Big Picture / Steamlink.   By and large all the pieces of the game work, it runs heavy on memory but doesn't leak, handles sleep and hibernation mid-match, handles alt-tab, etc.  There are control issues to work out, but the program is in better shape than many releases. 

Stability/knockdown feels out of balance, as do many of the pilot abilities.  Right now gunnery and piloting are irrelevant next to Sensor Lock, Precision Strike, and the Evasive Move ability - we'll see if things get better or worse from here out.  The maps, while pretty, do too much in too small a space.  The Camera is also too close, most combat takes place right at minimum range for LRMs so there isn't a lot of pre-skirmish maneuver and can't be a lot of larger scale scouting and indirect fire support (when they expand past 4v4, if they don't also adjust the live maps and camera height).  Map-pan is slow when you move the mouse to the window edge, but WASD is fine - along with QE for rotation.  Keyboard navigation is often faster and more reliable than the mouse.  It took 1-2 hours to get comfortable with the controls, that's 2-4 matches depending on how distracted you get.  Typical focus session is 30 minutes for 15 rounds of combat from launch to victory screen.  They have the pieces in place to do a post-encounter salvage appraisal so high hopes for an eventual fleshed out single player experience.

So, it is easy to play the shit out of this now and I'm looking forward to the full release. 
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: February 27, 2018, 01:36:53 PM

April Launch. woot.

Here's the KS announcement

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: February 27, 2018, 11:25:28 PM

Unfortunately a lot of little things have been axed from launch and will be added later. The game is good regardless (backed it, played it, still playing it), but this is another product that will be so much better if picked up one year after launch.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: March 27, 2018, 08:37:19 AM

Launch is April 24th.

Here's the new trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxqmd_tE2WI

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #80 on: April 03, 2018, 04:30:39 PM

can they get rid of that cheesy wobble when you fire a weapon or
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #81 on: April 03, 2018, 04:31:04 PM

actually nm keep it and intensify it. i'm digging Bobblemechs
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: April 06, 2018, 11:36:30 AM

actually nm keep it and intensify it. i'm digging Bobblemechs

Yeeaahhhh.. One of the big problems I already had with most of the computer games modeling Battlemechs is that they almost all make them bouncy. One of the justifications for having legs is to keep your piloting and aiming platform rock steady. Do the game designers all just forget that there is supposed to be a human riding in these things? The amount of bounce commonly shown would jellify even the hardiest Mechwarrior in minutes.

Now it's worse, as I see an Atlas violently snapping back and forward while firing an arm weapon.

Bobblemechs indeed.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: April 24, 2018, 11:06:51 AM

This was released today too, and yes it's awesome. I could articulate, but there's no need. It's BattleTech (not MechWarrior) and it's done right. The lore too.  Heart

Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: April 24, 2018, 04:58:58 PM

Only a couple missions in to the campaign, but it's a lot of fun.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #85 on: April 24, 2018, 08:32:18 PM

Got to play this tonight and I'm pleased.  It's what I've wanted for a very long time.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: April 25, 2018, 01:41:05 AM

It is lovely, but clearly only for Battletech nerds. All the negative reviews on Steam are about it being "too slow" and "not like MechCommander". Jeesus, go away you idiot.

Anyway, I liked the XCOM like dynamic cameras at first, but now that I deactivated all of them I like the game even more. I feel like I have much more control over the battlefield and a better grasp of what is going on.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: April 25, 2018, 01:48:40 AM

Baradul was streaming it almost all night last night and it looked quite cool.

Think I'm going to do some mad purchasing on Friday once this shitty week is over.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: April 25, 2018, 02:34:04 AM

This is how I completed my second mission. I guess I'll have to start over. Damn, I suck. (Full disclosure: I started the mission last night but played it this morning. Completely forgot about the turret generator and got pummeled by LRMs for half an hour before I realized that the mission objective was there on the left corner of my screen the whole time. Dumb times.)

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: April 25, 2018, 04:15:42 AM

Man, you got fucked !

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #90 on: April 25, 2018, 06:28:50 AM

Only had time to get a little into the second mission last night, but one of my guys got nailed in the hand from some artillery half-way across the map and it looked like I was going to end the mission with the same results as Falconeer.  Going to have to rethink things this evening.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: April 25, 2018, 06:58:31 AM

Even with actual BattleTech experience, having to learn the interface and the differences with the tabletop can definitely set up some burning defeats.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: April 25, 2018, 07:31:52 AM

Having never played Battletech and only a single very old (SNES?) Mechwarrior game, what genre of game is this? Is it a top-down turn-based strategy kind of game, like XCOM or the new Shadowrun, where I control a squad of mechs? Or is a third (first?) person action game in which I drive a single mech?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #93 on: April 25, 2018, 07:34:47 AM

It's a turn-based strategy game similar to XCOM.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: April 25, 2018, 07:42:14 AM

Did that BlackJack have an ammo explosion ?  'Cause that's what it looks like.    why so serious?

(I really wanna buy this NOW.)

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: April 25, 2018, 07:50:51 AM

Yes, it's very much like XCOM, just way less polished and way slower.

And yes, ammo explosion. Anyway, I redid that missin and I was all clean and unscathed until the very last tank which, just seconds before being stomped to death by my Shadow Hawk, fired a desperation volley against my Spider, hit it in the face and killed the pilot. What the fuck, RNG?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: April 25, 2018, 08:06:24 AM

Ammo in the centre torso.

Fucking Noobs.

why so serious?

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: April 25, 2018, 12:19:32 PM

Welp, just lost the tutorial mission. I've been playing nothing but X-Com 2 for a couple months too so it's not like I'm out of practice.

I am the .00000001428%
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: April 25, 2018, 12:53:45 PM

I love this game so much.  It’s the Battletech game I’ve been waiting 25 years for.  I lost the first mission like 4 times, once due to a death from above right out of the first move by the spider that cored my light mech.  It made me cackle, and glad I’d just saved. My second mission ended about the same as Falcs but I’m rolling with it.  My Blackjack got cored by a lucky shot from a tank and my main character is hospitalized for 4 months.  I can’t afford to repair the Blackjack.  This is proving to be an excellent poverty simulator.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 01:00:30 PM by Ard »
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: April 26, 2018, 02:34:34 AM

This reminds me of the BTech local campaign I played in with other nerds in college where I lost every pretty much every game but since I used dirt cheap mechs and crap equipment I technically made Cbills. You are not the Grey Death Legion guys! :D

Hic sunt dracones.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: April 26, 2018, 09:24:50 AM

Any time I didn't spend playing this game the last two days i spent watching videos of people playing this game.

I am the .00000001428%
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: April 26, 2018, 09:36:39 AM

Now that I finally got to do some contracts, the first tier of them are significantly easier than the opening story missions.  You can recover from a bad start, in case anyone who hasn’t bought this yet is turned off by the horror stories. I got my Blackjack fixed, main character is still in traction though.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: April 26, 2018, 10:45:16 AM

I love the attention for the lore. And how it is everywhere (as it should) and easy to skim over or read more if you want.

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: April 26, 2018, 11:26:23 AM

I gave my character the callsign "Marauder" as I usually do in this sort of game.  Didn't realize my unit would wind up being called "Marauder's Marauders"  Ohhhhh, I see.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: April 26, 2018, 11:48:06 AM

You can change that. Mine is called Threash's Terrible Trio. Yes, i know there is four.

I am the .00000001428%
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Battletech - The New Single Player game from those who made the new Shadowrun  
Jump to: