Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:34:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Stellaris - Paradox goes to space 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stellaris - Paradox goes to space  (Read 149023 times)
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #175 on: January 27, 2018, 10:41:29 PM

I actually like the sector concept.  The point is building an empire means having an an increasingly inefficient bureaucracy that has a harder time managing resources, and also creates more localized identities that can lead to separatism.  I actually wish they'd expand it a bit more.  The big problem I feel with CK2 and EU4 is that ones you build a big empire, the game gets easy.  They need to make them so that, while it gets easier in certain aspects (generating men, money, and hard power), the game gets harder as managing such a thing is really difficult and your empire tries its damnedest to break apart at all times.  Even if flawed, the sector concept is the first time I've seen them actually consider this in their games.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: January 28, 2018, 07:52:42 AM

If sectors were more like an ambitious dynastic rival in CK2 that could be interesting--if you had to keep an eye on them that way. Just doesn't seem like that's the way it is for now--I just create a sector to handle growth and ignore it, mostly. Sometimes I shuffle stuff around so I can hand-manage newer systems or colonies to get them to grow quickly or optimally.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: January 28, 2018, 08:20:11 AM

Yeah, I guess I should say I like the concept, but they need to flesh it out more.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: February 16, 2018, 12:07:17 AM

2.0 'Cherryh' patch notes are out (unusually a week before the actual patch hits). A lot of changes and the dlc that's coming is the first one for Stellaris that I'll be buying at release instead of waiting for a few patches.

edit:obligatory "What They Actually Mean" reddit post
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 02:30:32 AM by satael »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: February 24, 2018, 02:28:54 AM

My first impressions of the big update are that they've made expansion much more intuitive, and the balance between star bases and colonies more sensible.

But there are a bunch of bugs especially wrt wars. Admirals keep going awol, war exhaustion keeps being built up by the ai winning imaginary battles.

Don't know if intentional, but it really seems like a 4x game set in EVE online now.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: February 24, 2018, 01:18:34 PM

I was wondering what was happening with the admirals.

Though it seems to me also that leaders now survive their ships being blown up, which is interesting.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: February 25, 2018, 06:52:44 AM

I gather the specific problem is that if the admiral's ship is significantly damaged, it will attempt to disengage, and at that point the admiral stops providing bonuses and is removed from fleet command.

He doesn't get put back in charge even if he rejoins the formation either during or after the battle.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: February 25, 2018, 09:44:52 AM

I've been able to swap missing admirals into other fleets, but not their original fleet.  There seems to be some kind of memory about what used to be in the fleet, so if you cycle out ships rather than form a new fleet you get all sorts of fractional indicators for various ship sizes and the fleet number lights up red (indicating the fleet isn't at full strength?).  My guess is that it remembers the Admiral's ship has been disabled within this fleet and cannot be put back into that fleet.

I hit a game where food crashed mysteriously, and the non-stop pirate spawning at the borders is a bit annoying.  It seems the new ship combat favors number of guns even more than before, probably because you can't get enough big ships in a fleet to mow down smaller ships before they get into range.  I don't think it is just a retargeting/overkill issue but I haven't built my first titan yet so don't know if it flips back at the end.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: February 25, 2018, 11:37:40 AM

The pacing of the pirate spawning is super-annoying. It forces you to relentlessly build outposts.

The fleets-are-red bug is also super-annoying.

I am sometimes seeing a weird bug where I can't travel on enemy hyperlanes that are right there--where the game absolutely forces a long 'run-around' route.

I wonder if there are good combinations of small screening fleets of corvettes--torp boats or something--and fast destroyers, with long-range capital ships hovering back in separate fleets. That will take some experimenting.

I do like the changes overall. You have to be way more strategic about building choke points, and you can meaningfully adopt a defensive strategy. Diplomatic AI is much better in connection to governing ethics, particularly--I'm seeing 'natural' coalitions and federations forming early and holding pretty tight in ways that make sense. You really don't want a weak federation partner with an aggressive neighbor that's made claims already on them.
Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: February 25, 2018, 10:49:18 PM

I am sometimes seeing a weird bug where I can't travel on enemy hyperlanes that are right there--where the game absolutely forces a long 'run-around' route.

Might not be a bug, if a planet has a fortress I think it can prohibit you from using hyperlanes other than the one you entered the system on. Actually a good thing imo, makes it so you can't just rush for the capital and cripple the enemy's shipyards.

Split specialized fleets seems to be the way to go.
I'm liking most of the changes, but turned off all mods for my first game and goddamn I forgot how much they add, it's really half a game without it.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: February 26, 2018, 04:13:09 AM

Yeah, it's not when there are fortresses, because you can see those on the map. It's just when there are outposts, which have no extra capabilities besides influence (I think)?
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: February 26, 2018, 10:36:48 AM

I wonder if there are good combinations of small screening fleets of corvettes--torp boats or something--and fast destroyers, with long-range capital ships hovering back in separate fleets. That will take some experimenting.

The computer behavior upgrades to ships seems to solve this. In the same fleet you can set your large slot config ships to "artillery" and they hang way back and blast away, design some medium slot destroyers and give them the "battle line" behaviour and they stay at medium range. Then there's a couple of options for destroyers/corvettes between "swarm" and "picket". Swarm seems to be for corvettes that go rush in with evasion stacked up, while picket for ones that go for missiles and fighters but aggressively. For a destroyer you could put a large gun bow and then a flak rear and have it set to artillery to hang out with battleships as an extra screen (not sure how effective that would be), or just some medium guns + flak and then at battle line range so they do a bit of both.

For pirate spawn seems like they really want people to split fleets up a bit more. Along with the hard cap, a soft way to reduce doom stacking. Even early game though it doesn't take a lot of ships stationed around to kill pirates quickly.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: February 26, 2018, 12:31:59 PM

Coming back in, this game is even more of a confusing and unplayable mess.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: February 26, 2018, 03:40:59 PM

Personally, I'm loving the 2.0 experience. Vastly superior to what was going on before. A few of the bugs are exceedingly annoying (anything involving harvesting pops is broken, as one example), but I haven't run into any show-stoppers. I did whip up a mod to alter the way war exhaustion works (slowed it down, added a cap to the passive build up), and another to condense the perks a little (mainly the mega structure perks). 2.0 has let me out-right remove the majority of the modifications I had adopted.

As for the pirates; I have had zero issue with them. Once you adapt to having multiple fleets they become irrelevent (and can even be beneficial as experience sources for your fleets; or they will be when the upgrade wiping out experience bug is fixed). So long as you don't snake out your territory early on they shouldn't be an issue, as a regular out-post with 3-5 corvettes will easily handle them for the first few decades (and you can add up to 3 defensive platforms to regular out-posts if need be, and can afford the upkeep). Later on in the game, when the pirates actually start scaling into something notable you should have your borders locked down into choke-points, or with fortified starbases there, which in addition to the fleet in the area should continue to make them a minor hassle.

I have not experienced the admiral or pathing bugs. Only serious bug/design issue (aside from the aforementioned) that I've been annoyed by is the pirate faction blowing up everything in their way to get to their purchases target, which is idiotic.

Still, this is actually a comparatively bug free expansion for Paradox, especially considering the scope of changes, and the performance increases late game are amazing. I've also found the game much more easily managed and found it easy to adapt to the changes, but then I kept a pretty close eye on the dev diaries.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: February 27, 2018, 06:56:36 AM

Ok, I'm NOW enjoying it once I figured out what the almighty fuck.

Also, these patch notes must be the funniest thing I've read in a while :

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/7xr6td/patch_20_cherryh_notes_what_they_actually_mean/

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: February 27, 2018, 10:42:52 AM

Gold.

Might have to reinstall.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: February 27, 2018, 02:37:43 PM

Pretty accurate too.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: March 05, 2018, 05:14:27 AM

So, I've been playing the shit out of this :

It's much better now than I remember.  It's made a lot of changes that are actually good and help it be a better game. 

However, it has one of the same problems it had then which is the later on game becomes a bullshit micromanagement hell.  Not only is there still not really a good way to manage your Empire (don't talk to me about fucking Sectors, just Don't) but some of the more obvious shit is still wrong.  I shouldn't be put in a position whereby I upgrade the Mineral Factory from type 2 to type 3 and then find I have to click on every single fucking factory I've ever built to upgrade them.  Fuuuuuck you.

Also, the fleets are better, but it's odd that it expects you to use and be good with multiple fleets while not allowing you the fleet points to actually have very many of them until much, much later technologically.

Also, the Contingency event is utter fucking bullshit.  I had 4 fallen empires that I was tip-toeing around and those metal Cuisinart fuckers just fucking ate them all.  It was brutal.  When they destroy multiple fleets of 602k, what the fuck am I supposed to do with my two fleets of 25k each ?  Fuck off with that.  The agreed tactic for that one is 'suicide the planet' but you can't even get close.

There's a shitton of improvement, but the biggest gripes are still there and, frankly, I truly take offence at the amount of DLC that you have to buy if you want the new shit.  Just make the new content an aggregate please ;  let people buy individual ones if they want, but also have a 'nice big pack' that I can just GET if I want, with a view of what the fuck it is I'm getting.

Anyway.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: March 05, 2018, 05:31:40 AM

If you are playing now I'd recommend using the 2.02 beta patch (which you can enable from the steam client) since it addresses some of the problems with 2.01.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #194 on: March 05, 2018, 08:22:33 AM

I've got the base game but haven't installed it yet. What DLC do I absolutely need and what can I ignore?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: March 05, 2018, 08:41:59 AM

I've got pretty much fuck all at the moment and it's a good base game.

I want the robots.  I want the megastructures.  I want the Psionics.   I have no idea if I get them.  I don't think so.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: March 05, 2018, 11:52:07 AM

Yeah you won't have some of the cool stuff they added but a lot of that would be optional RP/style focuses that you'd go for on subsequent playthroughs.

With the base game you could have a playthrough doing something like take the generic human good guy and unite the galaxy in a federation. You'd also have access to stuff like the star trek total conversion
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: March 05, 2018, 03:46:33 PM

Buy the DLC.  Buy all of the DLC.  It adds a lot.

Been playing the ever living fuck out of this.  Micromanagement is an issue, but other than that, ton of fun.  Some of the random even quest lines are awesome.

-Stephen Colbert
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: March 05, 2018, 10:24:19 PM

Been playing the ever living fuck out of this.  Micromanagement is an issue, but other than that, ton of fun.  Some of the random even quest lines are awesome.

The Worm who loves us. It will always love us, and thus it always has.

Yes, there are some really good event chains in the game. Wish there were more.

I'm continuing to enjoy 2.0 a lot. I haven't upgraded to the beta patch (and won't), in part because my personal mods fix some of the issues it addresses well enough for now and there's a couple 'eh' changes in the beta patch and some interesting issues with late game that need to be addressed.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: March 06, 2018, 01:46:14 AM

I've seen a bunch of people say the beta version has a few too many bugs to recommend it. Really looking forwatd to the changes though.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: March 06, 2018, 06:38:38 AM

Some of the DLC came bundled into the latest free part of the update, but the DLC has so far been really good.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: March 06, 2018, 08:12:36 AM

This War stuff is utter bullshit.

Invaded all his planets.  Controlled them all.  Captured almost all of his colonies.  Waiting for the final capture.

Ding, War Exhaustion, here's a peace you have to accept and because you didn't have enough for Claims, you get a Mars Bar as a reward.  Well Done Commander.

Fuck me.

Jade Falcon
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: March 06, 2018, 08:25:00 AM

Same happened to me last night twice, I'm surprised there isn't any late game counters to it. Second time it happened I was steam rolling a neighbor with a colossus and for some reason it wouldn't let me enter his home world. Couldn't find any reason why it was locked to me so thought maybe I had to control all the other systems before I could nuke it then it booted me out of the war. Frustrating part is as soon as it does they usually make alliances with half the universe making the next war a gank fest.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: March 06, 2018, 08:34:25 AM

If there's a wee U on the map, they have that FTL inhibitor which totally FUCKS with you.

Sometimes my ships had to go all the way around 19 planets to get to a system right next to them and every time they had the inhibitor.  Don't know if it's MEANT to do that, but fairly sure that's what it was...

Jade Falcon
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: March 06, 2018, 09:33:42 AM

That's what I thought at first was happening as a few systems before hand were forcing me all the way around. Thinking on it now though I think it must not be good enough controlling just the station, I'm thinking you have to invade the planet also since  the three systems leading into the homeworld were inhabited and if I remember right weren't giving  me the instant control from having the colossus that the non inhabited systems were. 
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: March 06, 2018, 09:46:08 AM

The Worm who loves us. It will always love us, and thus it always has.

Yes, there are some really good event chains in the game. Wish there were more.

I'm continuing to enjoy 2.0 a lot. I haven't upgraded to the beta patch (and won't), in part because my personal mods fix some of the issues it addresses well enough for now and there's a couple 'eh' changes in the beta patch and some interesting issues with late game that need to be addressed.
Lol, I just completed that whole event chain.  I made a race of elves (Xenophobic Fanatical Materialists who have the Venerable trait) with the gene-seeded start (Felt appropriate).  Got that chain near the beginning.  Going the psyonic route, and trying to contact not-slaanesh to make fun lore happen.  Then I finally completed the worm chain.
One of my admirals just tapped into the void and got turned into an immortal psyonic god emperor.  That on top of the worm event, man, my race is going to be pretty fucked up by the end.  Just built a colossus.  Time to come out of my well fortified hermit kingdom and destroy the galaxy.

-Stephen Colbert
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: March 06, 2018, 09:59:36 AM

That's what I thought at first was happening as a few systems before hand were forcing me all the way around. Thinking on it now though I think it must not be good enough controlling just the station, I'm thinking you have to invade the planet also since  the three systems leading into the homeworld were inhabited and if I remember right weren't giving  me the instant control from having the colossus that the non inhabited systems were. 

Yeah any planet with a stronghold+ building has a FTL inhibitor.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: March 06, 2018, 10:37:15 AM

Yeah, you have to blow up the stronghold. It's actually clever incentive to build one of them--in the game before this patch, I don't think I ever bothered building whatever that building used to be, the one that gave the troops produced there some negligible bonus.

War Exhaustion means you have to get cracking fast in a war you start and offer a settlement as soon as you have something accomplished. It's also something that lets you turtle up and fight a defensive war more easily. I think it could use some tweaks. Are there any Ascension perks or tech trees that let you extend it or ignore it? Do any species just ignore it? (You'd think that the synthetics who are out to sterilize the galaxy could care less about war exhaustion, for example.)
Jade Falcon
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: March 06, 2018, 10:45:24 AM

I was wondering where those inhibitors on my planets were coming from, I missed that in the descriptions. I was just building them for the unity.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: March 06, 2018, 01:10:06 PM

Yeah, you have to blow up the stronghold. It's actually clever incentive to build one of them--in the game before this patch, I don't think I ever bothered building whatever that building used to be, the one that gave the troops produced there some negligible bonus.

War Exhaustion means you have to get cracking fast in a war you start and offer a settlement as soon as you have something accomplished. It's also something that lets you turtle up and fight a defensive war more easily. I think it could use some tweaks. Are there any Ascension perks or tech trees that let you extend it or ignore it? Do any species just ignore it? (You'd think that the synthetics who are out to sterilize the galaxy could care less about war exhaustion, for example.)

The beta patch slows exhaustion and instead of forcing you to accept a truce, 100% just sets influence and unity growth to zero, and reduces happiness everywhere.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Stellaris - Paradox goes to space  
Jump to: