Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:48:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Stellaris - Paradox goes to space 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stellaris - Paradox goes to space  (Read 149025 times)
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: May 15, 2016, 03:12:28 AM

My biggest gripe with it is it's missing a lot of simple, quality-of-life interface features.  Weirdly, some of these are things common to other Paradox games (even at launch).  Like, the ability to select what alerts will cause popups, what will just cause a little icon at the top, and what will actually pause the game.  In every other Paradox game I've played, there's an entire menu dedicated to letting you select exactly how each event will announce itself to you, but not so this one and it's irritating me because a lot of things I want the game to auto-pause for it doesn't.  Other little interface gripes are things like, why is there not a screen I can go to that lists every planet I have the technology to colonize, and lets me organize them by total possible tiles, total available tiles, and things like total energy/minerals/research of each type?  They do tend to slowly, over the patches, address interface issues, like when they finally listened to Arumba and made EUIV fleets auto-merge if they're on the same trade node, so I imagine eventually, some of my interface gripes will be dealt with.

Other than that, it's great if a little thin, but it's not like EU4 was much more robust at launch.  It'll have things filled in over time.  And like I told a friend recently - release is the best time to get into a Paradox game because it's pretty bare-bones, so you can get used to the framework before it gets too complicated.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: May 15, 2016, 07:34:51 AM

Fallen Empire are the remnants of old galactic superpowers that could easily wipe you out without a second glace, but don't expand their territory. Each of them has one trigger issue, but if that isn't triggered they sit idly at home and do nothing. The two I know of are "Don't settle any planets near us or we will fuck you up" and "If you settle on one of these super colonizable planets we decided are holy sites, we will fuck you up".

I made the slight error of expanding right next to one on my last playthrough, I had battleships, was surrounded by vassals and am feeling pretty comfortable.
Suddenly they start sending me messages of how I have to bow down to my alien overlords, but the Commonwealth of Man don't swing that way, so I say: "Take a hike old man, there's a new sheriff in town".
Apparently though when the game says 'overwhelmingly more powerful', it means it; they turn up with a single armada of battlecruisers that says 24k and a few months later my glorious empire is no more  swamp poop.

Loving the overall atmosphere of the game as well and it mostly looks like a great framework for some heavy modding/patching.
I might have to put it down for a while though, lest I burnout before all the good stuff is added.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: May 15, 2016, 07:54:24 AM

Are the most glaring bugs fixed yet? mainly the non working sector stuff i guess.

I am the .00000001428%
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #38 on: May 15, 2016, 09:20:04 AM

What sector stuff isn't working?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #39 on: May 15, 2016, 09:29:44 AM

Basic UI like movement is bugging me.  The UX is not good.  The game design is good and approachable, but they need another UX pass or a SkyUI like mod.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #40 on: May 15, 2016, 12:50:01 PM

The early game is just hyper, hyper addicting. Normally what people describe happening next is that "the shine comes off" but it's really more like "you make a Sector, and then the wheels fuckin' fall off and the bus explodes into flames"
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: May 15, 2016, 02:47:51 PM

....how so?

I think the sector stuff is brilliant, and solved a lot of the problems these games have.  Which is that when you get a giant empire, it becomes a massive pain in the ass to micromanage everything.  Once I figured out the sectors, I got addicted to creating and setting up new ones and populating them.  Gives the late game a lot of depth while solving the micro managing problem.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #42 on: May 15, 2016, 03:01:07 PM

Sectors should be good. At the moment they are just an incredible way to say "I trust the computer to vomit buildings almost at random throughout my empire and just generally have no clue what the hell it is doing"

also there's a bug which causes energy vamp and prevents me from fielding any fleets.
Mac
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: May 15, 2016, 03:42:01 PM

Is the AI any good at managing sectors?  I haven't gotten to huge empire sizes yet.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #44 on: May 15, 2016, 05:02:48 PM

The AI is absolutely atrocious at it. Every time I have gotten to Sectordom, the AI has shortly thereafter utterly brutalized my resource management.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: May 15, 2016, 08:30:11 PM

AI doesn't really seem to follow instructions, yeah. I'm not sure what it does if you tell it to prioritize military, for example. It doesn't build ships or defense stations or anything that would be militarily useful. Since you can't micromanage Sectors even if you wanted to, this is kind of a problem.

I got to the point that's a pretty classic 4X experience--you're kicking ass locally but at some point the guy you've been bullying joins an alliance and you weren't really ready for it. If you're moving around with warp drive and you come up against an equivalent civ that can move a lot faster, you're in big trouble even if your death stack beats their death stack. Would be nice if there was some way to interdict movement past frontier systems? Maybe there is and I haven't gotten to it with the tech trees.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: May 15, 2016, 08:47:08 PM

For Fallen Empires there's a few basic ways to ensure they don't come over and kill you;

1) Don't border the Fanatic Isolationist Fallen Empires. If your borders are touching you're in trouble. Generally I leave a couple systems between myself and them, just to be safe as borders grow over time.
2) The Fallen Empires that protect holy worlds (named Gaia worlds) will try to kill you for settling them. There's a planet modifier you can see on the Surface view of those planets that will indicate it is a holy world; however, it is only visible if you've surveyed the planet.
3) Another kind abhors slavery, and if you're close to them you may want to forego using slavery completely (and really, despite the nice bonuses to food and mineral production on planets I don't find slavery to be worth it, especially with sectors being garbage, but at least the slave revolt faction is, basically, turned off and there's no worry about them revolting).
4) If all else fails, and you're close to a Fallen Empire, get an Embassy going with them and watch your relations with them closely. They will almost never attack you if you keep them above -75 opinion, even if you're guilty of one of the above.

As for why sectors are bad.. it's fairly simple; the AI is garbage. Even with proper use of the two checkmarks in sector management (ignore/honour tile bonuses and whether or not they can replace buildings) you can run into issues. I've had sectors with the options for not respecting tile bonuses and not allowed to replace buildings... replace several buildings (usually with more food, which is dumb when they are pop-capped and already have excess food!). Also, their specializations are fairly worthless (military just builds defence stations in sector space, industrial spams out mineral buildings across the planet, economic the same for energy, and research does the same with labs -- there's no 'balanced' setting, either).

Then there's the issue with strategic resources (they can only use strategic resources within the sector's control, and cannot use strategic resources from empire or other sectors) which can result in having to replace certain buildings before you turn them over to sector control; or pay the influence cost to remove and re-add them to the sector to do it manually.

Sectors are a good idea, just badly done. Half-finished, basically (much like certain other aspects of the game -- namely, the UI and quality of life mechanics, which are actually my biggest issues with the game).

In time, I'm hoping the address the UI and QoL mechanics the most; especially the latter, as the game is missing a number of very simple features that already exist in other games from Paradox (that use the exact same engine). Things like renamed fleets not keeping their unique name with merging of fleets, a ledger of sorts for better sorting and management of your holdings (much less comparing varying galactic powers).

And dear god, the shipyard problem. Give a planet to a sector and now to select the shipyard (which you still fully control) you have to go into the system view for that planet, and click the shipyard -- and you don't get to see their building progression in the outliner once they're within a sector's space, which is even more annoying. Spread that out over 20+ systems under sector management and you'll want to set someone on fire.

On the whole, however; I love the game. It has already replaced EUIV as my go-to game for playing and I imagine it'll only get better given their track record with EUIV and CK2. It just could have used another month or so in development on the minor things (and certain bug fixes; strike craft being next-to-useless, one of the end-game crisis' being broken and game-breaking). Do wish the game was harder, however. The AI empires are extremely passive (and tend to have nearly un-ending wars between each other that destroys the economy of both and renders them helpless) and alliances can be nearly useless (allied ships will simply 'join up' with your fleets and not do anything on their own -- almost without exception, meaning they tend to leave their own space un-defended, even if they are the defender in the war and their planets are the wargoals).
Logain
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: May 15, 2016, 09:57:54 PM

I don't think I've seen it mentioned but there are already a huge number of mods out on the steam workshop that you can mix and match to fix a lot of various problems. Stuff like bigger/different galaxy, more empire colors/emblems, more traits, new starting systems(ringworld is cool), gameplay tweaks, graphical tweaks, straight up cheats, etc. I usually just sort by most subscribed and go from there. Sadly, I haven't seen anything that helps the AI much at all.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/281990/workshop/
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: May 16, 2016, 01:38:06 AM

The game is a disgrace - Paradox has only learnt that they can release broken games and then supply $AU120 of DLC to fix it.  

Is there any other new 4X space game that's come out since GalCiv II? Distant Universe was a game better played watching it play itself. Was the latest MOO any good?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 01:51:20 AM by Comstar »

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: May 16, 2016, 05:26:52 AM

Huh, I hadn't noticed the issues with sectors.  I pretty much just set them up and let them run themselves without really checking in (to busy colonizing other worlds and expanding cores, so I can make more sectors).  The credits and minerals just kept on rolling in, so I assumed everything was great.   awesome, for real  UI hasn’t really given me any issues, except for a few QOL features that don’t really hamper my enjoyment (being able to bring up a list of colonizable worlds on demand would be nice).  I didn’t notice how hard it is to build starships in sectors either, since even when I have a huge empire, I still build all of my ships on my home planet, heh.

Though does anybody know if there is a penalty for having to many colonized planets in one sector?  Or does that only apply to your core worlds?
The game is a disgrace - Paradox has only learnt that they can release broken games and then supply $AU120 of DLC to fix it. 

Is there any other new 4X space game that's come out since GalCiv II? Distant Universe was a game better played watching it play itself. Was the latest MOO any good?

While I’ll agree that the UI could be improved a bit, and from the sounds of it they obviously need to fix some bugs and the AI, that’s pretty damn extreme.  Right now, in its current form, I’m ranking this as about the best 4x space game I’ve ever played.  And it can get fixed/made better fairly easily.  Excited to see where it goes down the road once they start rolling out DLC.

-Stephen Colbert
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: May 16, 2016, 06:45:47 AM

You can put as many planets as you like in a sector, as far as I can tell. They just need some kind of adjacency to be added. Arguably you almost want to build a sector to include only inhabited planets and keep the planets with mining and research stations under your direct control, but sometimes that's impossible to pull off.

One reason I'm happy to buy a Paradox game over many others is that they really have a reliable workflow of making long-term changes to games. Sometimes that screws the game up (some of the later CK2 expansions) but they do tweak stuff in a useful way. So looking at what they're working on right away and what they plan to do later, I'm very encouraged. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-33-the-maiden-voyage.932668
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #51 on: May 16, 2016, 06:55:31 AM

The only worthwhile setting for sectors is 75% output, high energy focus. Energy is the lifeblood of the game, everything else is just window dressing. Energy is used for everything. Energy powers every building or orbital station that collects any other resource besides more energy. Energy is spent to maintain your navy month to month.

The only time another resource has ever mattered to me is early game, when you want minerals to push out the earliest developments and some extra corvettes to deal with pirates and various flavors of space herp. After that point you will be running a garrulous surplus of minerals. So you start with mineral stations, but then you quickly start converting all your excess production capacity / initial construction and expansion to energy, energy, energy. You want the highest energy surpluses you can have, because it tells you exactly how much military power you can have.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #52 on: May 16, 2016, 07:52:02 AM

Yep, even as a slow newb, I've just hit the point (about 65 years in) where it tips from "needing minerals desperately just to build/improve and having excess energy to the point of not building energy improvements because I'm at the storage cap" to "Hmm, better check the minerals cap and how did I get -13 energy in one turn?"

I did /just/ build a fleet. Spend the early years just exploring and avoiding red things.

I dig the way you can imagine stories. That science vessel officer who was elected president? I put her in charge of societal research when she lost the next election, as her 'retirement', figuring her time in office gave her experience with that line of research (ingame, she was just a 5 star researcher, no other bonuses). Then, in her 70s, she's elected president again (I'm assuming because I finished her mandate but not the following presidents), because she's long-lived.

To fill her role, I got lucky with a junior scientist with a love for one of the society research tracks (I forget which) and also with an ace science vessel officer. So in my roleplay version it's her two students from the research institute.

I'm going to miss Anna when she dies. I've already lost a couple characters I grew attached to, and the computer researcher who was in her 80s but advanced society by leaps and bounds with her computer innovations was the worst so far.

Or you could bitch about UI stuff. Different strokes.

Mac
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: May 16, 2016, 09:26:26 AM

The AI is absolutely atrocious at it. Every time I have gotten to Sectordom, the AI has shortly thereafter utterly brutalized my resource management.
Micromanage it is then, for now.

The game is fun, although it sometimes fucks you in brilliant ways:
You need a 5 star Scientist for some local research. Luckily, you have 4 of those, but they are far away and all die on the way there because they were in their 80s.  why so serious?

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: May 16, 2016, 09:42:07 AM

You can put as many planets as you like in a sector, as far as I can tell. They just need some kind of adjacency to be added. Arguably you almost want to build a sector to include only inhabited planets and keep the planets with mining and research stations under your direct control, but sometimes that's impossible to pull off.

One reason I'm happy to buy a Paradox game over many others is that they really have a reliable workflow of making long-term changes to games. Sometimes that screws the game up (some of the later CK2 expansions) but they do tweak stuff in a useful way. So looking at what they're working on right away and what they plan to do later, I'm very encouraged. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-33-the-maiden-voyage.932668

CK2 and then EUIV were where they first started really going bananas with this current DLC model adding all kinds of new mechanic expansions onto games, seemingly freestyle. Basically thinking of areas that would be cool to improve then figuring out some way to do it, but often blowing out vanilla balance because they didn't seem to be well tested or their idea wasn't so great in practice as it was on the drawing board.

I am hoping with this next generation, Stellaris + HOI IV, they have planned out their expansions (both aesthetic content and mechanical upgrades) for the long term and have a more methodical approach to them.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: May 16, 2016, 11:17:44 AM

The game is fun, although it sometimes fucks you in brilliant ways:
You need a 5 star Scientist for some local research. Luckily, you have 4 of those, but they are far away and all die on the way there because they were in their 80s.  why so serious?
Or gets elected president en route to the research site :)
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #56 on: May 17, 2016, 12:10:47 AM

CK2 and then EUIV were where they first started really going bananas with this current DLC model adding all kinds of new mechanic expansions onto games, seemingly freestyle. Basically thinking of areas that would be cool to improve then figuring out some way to do it, but often blowing out vanilla balance because they didn't seem to be well tested or their idea wasn't so great in practice as it was on the drawing board.

I am hoping with this next generation, Stellaris + HOI IV, they have planned out their expansions (both aesthetic content and mechanical upgrades) for the long term and have a more methodical approach to them.

Besides Sunset Empire what CK2 DLC was bad?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #57 on: May 17, 2016, 12:46:11 AM

Just started playing. is there any way to reduce the UI clutter? The "badges" used to denote planets, systems and ships take up such a lot of screen real estate that I can't really see what's going on even though I just have the starting items.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: May 17, 2016, 02:01:05 AM

I would think that the main complaint people had with the DLC was that it changed the gameplay and how that was balanced every time. I for one really liked (except for Sunset Invasion of course) the DLCs for changing the game since I played it a lot and felt that the sometimes drastic changes kept my interest far better.

I do hope Paradox keeps up with their previous DLC style where their content seems to be heavily affected by player opinions and mods instead of just sticking to a (pre-launch) strictly planned DLC schedule and content.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: May 17, 2016, 05:41:37 AM

I thought the DLC where they added affairs and suchlike was badly implemented--rather than it being an addition of a new kind of gameplay into the established mix it was dialed up to 11 and overwhelmed the game. I also really didn't like the one that empowered councils a lot more, for the same reason.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: May 17, 2016, 06:27:50 AM

This has become an 'oh shit it's after 2am, tomorrow is going to suck' kind of game.  swamp poop
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: May 17, 2016, 10:08:01 AM

To add to Khaldun, I also didn't really like the old gods. It was a good idea but in practice raiding required a lot of tedious micromanagement and was also AI abuse, but then you could get super rich doing it, which was imbalanced. Then the adventurer and claimant insta-spawn super armies were very frustrating.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #62 on: May 17, 2016, 10:18:20 AM

This has become an 'oh shit it's after 2am, tomorrow is going to suck' kind of game.  swamp poop

This, and I also entered a team that is going to translate the whole thing in italian (we should get an "official" endorsement by Paradox soon)  awesome, for real

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: May 17, 2016, 12:57:07 PM

That's really neat!

Out of curiosity, how did you get so good at English?  As somebody who's traveled a lot of the world at this point, I'm always interested in how people learn other languages so well.  Also because I'm the single worst person in the world at learning other languages.

-Stephen Colbert
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: May 17, 2016, 01:36:57 PM

I was picking up Spanish pretty well, but the utter lack of usage in my daily life means it went away quickly.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #65 on: May 17, 2016, 03:27:26 PM

That's really neat!

Out of curiosity, how did you get so good at English?  As somebody who's traveled a lot of the world at this point, I'm always interested in how people learn other languages so well.  Also because I'm the single worst person in the world at learning other languages.

Thanks for the undeserved "so good"  Heart

And...well, thanks to computer games, really, and my father who has always been a gamer himself since the early '80s, so he often played together with his son, translating everything that was going on the screen :D.

As Falconeer can undoubtedly confirm, italian translation of games was basically nonexistent throughout the whole '80s. It started to gain steam with Lucasfilm adventure games (especially from Monkey Island and onward, with Maniac Mansion, Indy 3 and Zak as earlier exceptions).
I learnt a LOT of words and a bit of syntax quite in advance, some years before actually starting in school (and, compared to a lot of italian children, I was lucky to begin studying english quite early, 3rd grade, uncommon over here in the '80s).

And hey, it was frustrating, because, among other genres, I happened to LOVE Sierra and Magnetic Scrolls games (or, rather, the pretty pictures, animated or not, on the screen :P).... As a child who was in the process of perfecting his OWN native language (luckily, I always liked to read), imagine how frustrating it was not being able to understand what was happening on screen, or what secrets and incredible stories those manuals (The Pawn, Guild of Thieves) could contain.

Then, when I started surfing the net in late '94 (earlier than the paleolithic age here in Italy when it comes to the Net :P), I started reading forums, went into IRC chats, so I started learning a bit of "everyday" english, idioms and so on.
Infact, I've always been a tourist, never stopped in a foreign country for an extended period of time (yeah, sometimes I travel alone, but again, just as a tourist), so I never really picked up all the nuances "on the field".
---------------
For example, three years ago I ran the NYC marathon together with my girlfriend: I must say that it took me a day or so to really start getting confident with my spoken skills: watch TV Shows or 24/7 news channels is one thing; another is trying to understand what an overweight NYC metro employee in Penn Station is mumbling from behind a glass at 7.15am with an ever increasing queue behind you while at the same time you're trying not to sound like a complete idiot  :P

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: May 18, 2016, 01:32:19 AM

I really like this game... but the AI is just so bad  ACK!
Add in the fact that the difficulty setting is just more resources and bonuses for the AI and stupid things like insane_ai mod of -50 to diplomacy stuff like alliances and I'm almost ready to wait/hope that patches will make it more competent before playing another game.  Ohhhhh, I see.
jth
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: May 18, 2016, 03:25:08 AM

I found this in Eurogamer article comments, is this really possible? If yes, it would be hilarious and quite awesome.

So, I started the war, destroyed their fleet, bombed their planets and I won - dirty aliens. Got through my victory claims. But it was then when I realised that I thought I had demanded their vassalage to be the war ending term. It was a hard talk for them I guess, but the term was accidentally THEIR NEIGHBOUR becoming our vassal. And our vassal their neighbour became.
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: May 18, 2016, 06:16:53 AM

I found this in Eurogamer article comments, is this really possible? If yes, it would be hilarious and quite awesome.

So, I started the war, destroyed their fleet, bombed their planets and I won - dirty aliens. Got through my victory claims. But it was then when I realised that I thought I had demanded their vassalage to be the war ending term. It was a hard talk for them I guess, but the term was accidentally THEIR NEIGHBOUR becoming our vassal. And our vassal their neighbour became.
Pretty sure you can go to war to demand one of their vassals.  So if their neighbor was one of their vassals, then yep.  It could also be a bug that forced an unrelated empire to become the writer's vassal, but I don't think so (haven't heard anything about such a bug so far).  Seems more likely he didn't realize that the 'neighbor' was actually one of their vassals to start with.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: May 18, 2016, 08:15:03 AM

Pretty sure you can go to war to demand one of their vassals.  So if their neighbor was one of their vassals, then yep.  It could also be a bug that forced an unrelated empire to become the writer's vassal, but I don't think so (haven't heard anything about such a bug so far).  Seems more likely he didn't realize that the 'neighbor' was actually one of their vassals to start with.
Yeah, I had one of my neighbors do that to me, my war aim was to make them my vassal for being dumb fucks.

I doubled my vassals with that war.

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Stellaris - Paradox goes to space  
Jump to: