Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:38:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Ash vs The Evil Dead 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ash vs The Evil Dead  (Read 22189 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

on: July 11, 2015, 01:59:28 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWYIpULVJDc

Series starts October 31 on Starz. Already see the comedy and gore of the previous movies in the trailer. This looks like it'll be great, here's hoping..

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 02:24:13 PM

Bruce Campbell + Lucy Lawless + campy horror, what more could you ask for?  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 02:39:38 PM

Jane Levy?

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 03:39:34 PM

No, they don't need to have anything to do with the Evil Dead reboot.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 04:17:16 PM

Fucking Be There.

I was worried it was going to go the way of My Name is Bruce (i.e. terribad with not enough action to make up for the cringe-inducing writing) but they have spurting blood and monster makeup, so I'm sold.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 04:46:25 PM

Its on starz I'll watch.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 08:37:16 PM

That looks fucking fantastic. That has everything the shitty Evil Dead reboot forgot about the originals.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 08:46:15 PM

Yeah, this is the only thing I am looking forward to more than Star Wars this year.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 03:00:17 PM

Come Get Some.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3360309/ash-vs-evil-dead-titles-synopses-nearly-entire-season/

It looks like we'll be seeing some nice tributes to Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, and Army of Darkness/Captain Supermarket - especially Army of Darkness.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 06:37:06 AM

This premieres Saturday night on Starz

edit: (failboat on my part, just throw this in the other thread)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 09:42:18 AM by Shannow »

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 09:37:15 AM

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 12:33:15 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMBKu9qCU7g

First 4 minutes up online.  Looks fuckin awesome.

Also this has already been picked up for a second season.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 02:21:35 PM

Nice, a 2nd season already.

Nice to see it's on at 9pm, too. I can get out to trick or treat with the kid then come home to watch this.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 11:45:37 AM

First episode leaked early, it's great so far.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 12:07:32 PM

The first episode was great. I'm a bit hesitant since alot of the Evil Dead tropes were already done in the first episode and it's the only one that is directed by Raimi but hopefully it will keep up steam as the story progresses.
Mac
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 31, 2015, 02:40:35 PM

The first episode was great. I'm a bit hesitant since alot of the Evil Dead tropes were already done in the first episode and it's the only one that is directed by Raimi but hopefully it will keep up steam as the story progresses.

I liked it, but I don't know if I would have without the nostalgia. I hope they dial it up to eleven though and give it a good run.

Also:
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #16 on: October 31, 2015, 06:56:51 PM

It was great but didn't feel campy enough to me. Campbell has learned to act better and wasn't mugging enough and Rami had learned to direct and avoid some of the worse b-movie director foibles. It was, however, great once the deadites began showing up in earnest.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 01, 2015, 04:05:26 AM

I might be the only person in the world who likes Army of Darkness way more than Evil Dead 2? So yeah, I want campy Ash--I don't want a hint of seriousness to drag it down.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 01, 2015, 05:19:50 AM

I thought that was the universally held opinion.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 01, 2015, 08:08:30 AM

Really? I always got the impression that Evil Dead 2 was the big favorite.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #20 on: November 01, 2015, 08:14:44 AM

ED2 is great but AoD was what propelled it into awesomeness, IMO.

I think it's a minority position because Horror fans like ED2 and they're a larger group than campy b-movie lovers. Not that ED2 didn't have its camp but it AOD turned it up to 13.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #21 on: November 01, 2015, 09:03:36 AM

Yeah ED2 is still "horror" whereas AoD is pretty much just straight up comedy. I'm guessing more people have seen AoD as it used to get a lot of play on basic cable. You lose much less editing down to PG-13 than you would with ED2.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 01, 2015, 10:27:59 AM

I think that ED2 is probably the better movie but AoD just has so many more memorable one-liners and scenes that it wins in the end when it's more than 2 decades since they (or nearly 3 in case of ED2) were originally released.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #23 on: November 01, 2015, 06:28:03 PM

"It's a trick, get an axe..."

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 01, 2015, 08:31:51 PM

They don't quite have the feel right, yet, but I'm hoping it'll come with time. It has room to grow, but it is already Groovy.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 01, 2015, 09:56:42 PM

That was my impression as well. ED2 is pretty clearly the better movie - I would also say that the funniest parts of ED2 are funnier than the funniest parts of AoD, even though AoD is much more of a comedy.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 01, 2015, 10:06:48 PM

The continuity for this show does not recognize Army of Darkness.  Campbell said that it was because of the rights over it.  They would have had to give someone else a part and partial control of the project, so they went on without it.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 02, 2015, 09:21:00 AM

More an the lack of AoD rights: http://screenrant.com/ash-vs-evil-dead-bruce-campbell-fake-blood/

I didn't know this - but it clearly isn't stopping them.  The difference between dolls and little reflections isn't all that great, after all..  Same "small foe" gags.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #28 on: November 02, 2015, 09:48:37 AM

That was my impression as well. ED2 is pretty clearly the better movie - I would also say that the funniest parts of ED2 are funnier than the funniest parts of AoD, even though AoD is much more of a comedy.
I agree with all this, though that's not to say AoD isn't also a very enjoyable movie.  It's only 'lesser' when compared to ED2.  ED2 just had the perfect ratio of horror, comedy, and camp that I've never seen reproduced. 

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: November 02, 2015, 12:40:00 PM

I've seen a couple (2) reviews calling this the best pilot ever.

Errrrr....

I enjoyed it, but it had room to improve.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #30 on: November 02, 2015, 12:44:07 PM

It was fun, but a little rough in spots that weren't just camp that didn't come off. It really should have been two episodes, one with Ash being a jerk and trying to run away towards the end, then a second where that doesn't work and he has to suit up.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: November 03, 2015, 08:58:10 PM

I thought it was decent. Ash was a little too much of a loser / dumbass for my taste - in particular the part where he picks up the box of light bulbs struck me as trying too hard.

The whole "you are the chosen one according to my uncle" or whatever the fuck that was struck me as very silly.

My favorite part was actually when the detectives confronted the girl who screwed her head around backwards. The way she moved her arms and body was both creepy and silly, whereas the old woman at the end was just all silly.

That was also the part that was the least callback / referential / fan servicey. The danger in a series like this is that the writers write a little too much like fans and just do the obvious thing that people want. Of course you want to do some of that, but not to the point where it's just "hey, remember when this similar scene happened in this other movie?"

Overall I thought it was pretty good though, would happily watch more.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #32 on: November 04, 2015, 06:04:57 AM

I'm willing to overlook a lot of fanservice in the first episode of a series. If it continues and doesn't go anywhere new, then we've got an issue.

I agree on the loser/ dumbass part. I don't know if that's meant to separate him further from the AoD Ash or just a new vision of the character. The ED2 Ash certainly wasn't this big of a loser, just unlucky.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #33 on: November 04, 2015, 07:20:20 AM

I took it as this is a guy that had bad shit happen and he ran away from it, becoming the epitome of a loser, middle aged trailer park man-whore. They emphasized it so that you could have the transformation towards the end of the episode, and the revelation that despite being a loser, a little bit of him still remembered the responsibility (thus still having the chainsaw hidden away). In the end, it was to make it more special when he got his groovy back.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: November 04, 2015, 09:13:42 AM

If I had to pick which Ash we saw, I'd say that was AoD Ash, not ED I or ED II Ash. 

Sam Raimi did the pilot, plotted episode 2 and participated in the plotting for episode 3 (before heading off for features).  I want to see what the series looks like after his influence is gone - does it retain the ED feel, or is it going to feel more like Hercules/Xena? 

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Ash vs The Evil Dead  
Jump to: