Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:56:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Rocket League 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rocket League  (Read 20320 times)
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

on: July 03, 2015, 01:41:06 PM

What is Rocket League?

Rocket League is soccer with cars and the sequel to the PS3 game Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle Cars. It's as ridiculous as it sounds and super fun.

Why is it so awesome?

• Online 4 player split screen
  • Rocket cars that can fly
  • Cross platform between PS4 and PC
  • Cosmetic car items like a wizard hat
  • Free to PS+ users on July 7th

And crazy stuff like this...

Trailers: 1, 2, 3

It's just good dumb fun. Hopefully some f13 people pick it up and we can start a league.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 07:33:17 PM by NiX »
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 06:14:12 PM

I was going to check it out, but the new PS+ games aren't live yet.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 07:33:48 PM

I was going to check it out, but the new PS+ games aren't live yet.

I completed forgot to put the date in there somewhere. Edited my list to show what date it would be available.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 10:10:38 AM

I'm in for the wizard hat.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 07:23:52 PM

Jesus this is fun.

Shame the servers exploded on launch though.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 12:06:32 PM

Having played this a little bit now, those GIFs are fucking nutso.

Game is so fun though.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 09:56:19 PM

Already clocked almost 30 hours on it. Too much fun!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 06:58:37 AM

I'm awful, and so is my son, but this is great stuff.  Local MP was a nice surprise.

No wizard hat yet.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 02:35:37 PM

Already clocked almost 30 hours on it. Too much fun!

I've probably put over a dozen myself but on PS4.

Now that they have the servers mostly sorted, it's awesome.

My only wish was that I could play season coop over the net.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 05:30:28 AM

This seems like one of those things people will play the shit out of for like a month or two and then forget ever existed

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 08:41:52 PM

This seems like one of those things people will play the shit out of for like a month or two and then forget ever existed

We'll see. They've already signed with ESL for tournaments, so it looks like they're going all in on this one.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 05:57:00 PM

This is great, and I am awful at it. Controlling my car while jumping seems unpossible; I don't have enough fingers.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 06:27:34 PM

I don't have enough fingers.

MASTER RACE

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 06:55:01 PM

I can finally sorta hit things out of the air and it's AMAZING.

I find myself jumping out of my seat so often.

This is GOTY for me.
Tairnyn
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 08:17:08 PM

Loving this way more than I thought I would on paper. 2v2 is probably my favorite, so far. My only gripe is that the face-offs in the middle are clusterfuck random smashing at 3v3 and beyond. Not exactly sure how that could be improved, though.

Playing pickup games often ends up like 5 year olds playing soccer, with everyone rushing the ball and crashing into each other. Nothing makes me want to murder like having the perfect shot set up and then a teammate turbos in to just hit the ball in some random fuckall direction. Playing with a party is a bit better, and there are layers of strategy to anticipating flow of the ball on the field and pairing up to center the ball then take a shot.

I can't wait to watch pros play this...
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 09:18:15 PM

MASTER RACE
Free for PS4 vs {some dollars} on Steam. Free wins the day for now; when it's inevitably 75% off I might switch platforms.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #16 on: July 21, 2015, 11:42:36 AM

MASTER RACE
Free for PS4 vs {some dollars} on Steam. Free wins the day for now; when it's inevitably 75% off I might switch platforms.

Ah, well if you're playing it on PS4 and need more fingers, then I'll have to change up my ridicule tactics. why so serious?

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 21, 2015, 12:52:34 PM

While holding R2 to go forward, press X to jump, Square to activate car roll then then tilt the analog stick accordingly. I want that car roll button somewhere else but remapping to L1 or L2 doesn't feel natural.

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 21, 2015, 12:54:08 PM

You don't use X and square with your thumb? It's like Mario, except you're not holding it down the whole time.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 21, 2015, 01:00:08 PM

Pushing one then the other right after feels awkward. It was ok in Mario because the one was always held down.

climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 23, 2015, 03:45:05 PM

Hey Nix, you butthead! Where are you on Steam?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #21 on: July 23, 2015, 07:24:07 PM

Rendakor.  Tonight I heard my son's friend say "I need more fingers!"

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #22 on: July 24, 2015, 04:59:08 AM

I feel kinda bad for the devs. They decided to give it away free on PSN+ this month and the game just blows up.

I kinda wonder if it would've blown up like it did without that, but if you saw like a half a million downloads of something you could've charged even $1 for I'd have cringed a bit. Good marketing at least.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #23 on: July 24, 2015, 05:23:02 AM

I feel kinda bad for the devs. They decided to give it away free on PSN+ this month and the game just blows up.

I kinda wonder if it would've blown up like it did without that, but if you saw like a half a million downloads of something you could've charged even $1 for I'd have cringed a bit. Good marketing at least.

Absolutely not. There's no way something like this gets enough kids to come off their wallets as if it's free.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #24 on: July 24, 2015, 07:28:00 AM

What happens next is that the kids who get it will talk their friends into getting it, so there should be some purchases going into next month.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #25 on: July 24, 2015, 11:30:55 AM

Supposedly this is on track to become an e-sport so I think if that pans out they'll be in good shape.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #26 on: July 24, 2015, 02:45:40 PM

Click for sound.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #27 on: July 24, 2015, 05:48:11 PM

I love how terrible most people are at this game.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #28 on: July 24, 2015, 05:50:50 PM

I purchased this earlier today; only played the tutorials and some matches against the AI, but it's GREAT FUN  Heart Heart Heart

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #29 on: July 27, 2015, 07:05:52 AM

This is like digital crack: just one more match, please  awesome, for real

I'm still immensely bad at it, but with 3v3 I'm finally learning to step back, trying get-in goals, double jump to intercept some balls and all the different strategies. I did a mistake starting with 1v1, it's a lot harder because you have to be very precise with ball control and always chase it (or wait for an error by the opponent). And yeah, with 3v3 at least you can partially hide how bad you are thanks to the other teammates  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 28, 2015, 06:35:10 AM

This is like digital crack: just one more match, please  awesome, for real

I'm still immensely bad at it, but with 3v3 I'm finally learning to step back, trying get-in goals, double jump to intercept some balls and all the different strategies. I did a mistake starting with 1v1, it's a lot harder because you have to be very precise with ball control and always chase it (or wait for an error by the opponent). And yeah, with 3v3 at least you can partially hide how bad you are thanks to the other teammates  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The strategies change quite a bit between 1v1 2v2 3v3 4v4. There's a lot more slow play in the smaller games because whiffing the ball usually results in a goal. I actually like 2v2 a lot because there is more space to breathe.

4v4 sucks since it's just carsmash all the time. That said you do get to fly across the map for sick mid air misses and not feel too bad.

I'm still playing this 2+ hours nightly. Started playing ranked. Not doing too badly.
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: July 28, 2015, 08:20:48 PM

My willpower is draining. I wanted to buy this game but I wasn't sure it was worth $20. I've watched some Twitch streams and it looks like great fun. Quick, someone talk me into waiting for a Steam sale.
schpain
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: July 28, 2015, 08:56:00 PM

*cough*
f13league
*cough*

*Should be working*
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #33 on: July 29, 2015, 05:06:22 AM

My willpower is draining. I wanted to buy this game but I wasn't sure it was worth $20. I've watched some Twitch streams and it looks like great fun. Quick, someone talk me into waiting for a Steam sale.

Don't be dumb.  Buy it now.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #34 on: July 29, 2015, 09:37:30 AM

It actually did blow up during the beta. They tried to back out of being a part of PS+, but Sony realized what was happening and countered with a much better deal financially.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Rocket League  
Jump to: