Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:12:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Armored Warfare 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Armored Warfare  (Read 32007 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: June 12, 2015, 11:47:42 AM

[ This game is not an MMO but since everybody is putting multiplayer online games even if they aren't MMOs in this section and I don't want to have to move all the crap that's accumulated in here I'm just going with the flow and putting this in here too ]

Armored Warfare
Twitch.tv game directory

World of Tanks clone with modern day armored vehicles developed by Obsidian Entertainment (yes that Obsidian) and published by My.com/Mail.ru (i.e. don't expect your information to be private) currently in CBT that you can buy into with their Founder Packs.

The game is supposed to have a PvE campaign but that's not in the game currently. Also the posted servers schedule appears to be just the times when the servers are guaranteed to be up. I was able to log in to the game during "off hours" last night but I was never able to actually play a match cause there weren't enough of us online to satisfy their matchmaking rules (peaked at about 35 of us in the queue at once).
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 02:28:45 PM

I'm glad you are willing to be the canary in the coal mine for this one. No way am I throwing money at a founder's pack on some WoT clone untested. You are doing us all a big favor by having a peek at this.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 02:32:39 PM

I fully expect Aba to play this and amass 20k games before it releases.   awesome, for real

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 04:08:04 PM

I didn't realize this was open yet, I'll have to go check my game email.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 04:09:51 PM

My.com/Mail.ru (i.e. don't expect your information to be private) currently in CBT that you can buy into with their Founder Packs.

Ya, not touching that.  I feel nervous enough as it is dealing with WG and XVM.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Pendan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 02:54:38 PM

Played in the open stress test this last weekend. PvE mode was fun and low stress. Main Battle Tanks (MBT) dominate play too much. See http://armoredtalk.com/2015/09/27/quick-start-guide-to-armored-warfare-for-world-of-tank-players/ for a quick comparison of WoT to AW. Open beta start announced tomorrow.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 03:04:36 PM

The arty mechanics look interesting. I haven't tried it myself but have watched a few streams of it. Rumors have it WoT will borrow some of those mechanics in their arty overhaul.
Pendan
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 03:31:03 PM

I played 2 games of PvE and 2 games of PvP in arty. I unlocked with only a few hours left in the stress test and although wanted to try is not what I enjoy. When arty launches shells at you a voice shouts out incoming. If were shot from other side of map then you have a few seconds to respond but if was closer then can get hit right away. You don't have any of the really long shell times that exist, particularly post arty nerf (8.5?), in WoT. Generally damage is not any worse than getting hit by a real tank. Arcs don't appear to be very high so low buildings or rocks do protect you. Aim circles are tighter than WoT. When playing an arty you get red circles on map that tell you were arty on other team fired from. Supposedly the circles get smaller if fire multiple times from the same location. I tried counter battering once but have no idea how close I got to hitting. I would guess if platooned with a light or AFV you could tell them where to spot or kill the other sides arty.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 03:33:14 PM

When I was watching if you fired 3 times without moving the 3rd shot would reveal your exact location to enemy arty.

penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 05:06:58 PM

Played stress test as my IRC buddies recommended it, and splashed out on Lords of War today. I played lots of WoT.

I kinda like the faster paced game, and some new dynamics (missiles, rapid fire, different arty) and the modern maps and tech. This could be a regular for a while.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 11:54:52 AM

I like that the tanks start off being fun.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 12:08:42 PM

I like that the tanks start off being fun.

That's a huge plus.  WoT is painful until tier 5.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Pendan
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 05:14:56 PM

The -3 degrees of gun depression on one of the starting tanks can be frustrating. That is worse than any tank I know of in WoT. The french light tanks in WoT have -6 which I thought was bad before.

Head start open beta started last Thursday for those that bought a founder package. The $70 Lords of War gives stuff valued at over $100 if bought seperately. The other 2 lower costs packages only save you about $1 and $3. You can still buy a founder package up until Thursday when open beta for all starts. This is the new open beta so many are doing where it is really release because is no wipe for official release.
disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 12:13:22 AM

This is really fast game. Playing WoT and Warthunder tanks previousle will give you a headache (heavy tanks driving like 50km/h).
There is a few things that still need to be covered to make it really fun - like spoting/camouflage mechanic rework, sound fx, tanks feels to light (feels like driving cartoon boxes).
It can be a good game. Oh and it looks like they listen to community.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 11:53:26 AM

Too many things about the game bug me. Probably will only play it sporadically in its current state.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 11:57:31 AM

So many things better here than Wot, I'm playing on the EU server if anyone wants to platoon (BlindSide).

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 12:02:09 PM

Yes they've definitely learned from WoT mistakes. However the fundamentals in the game are messed up.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 12:05:36 PM

So many things better here than Wot, I'm playing on the EU server if anyone wants to platoon (BlindSide).

Please list them.  I find the faster pace of this game to be a turn off.   Get off my lawn!

-  Mark Twain
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 12:25:41 PM

I'll get out my bullet points.

• You feel like you are driving a tank, there is real sense of momentum.
  • Thus you feel like you are shooting at tanks, they don't just magically stop.
  • Terrain does what you would think it would do, no more shaded spots that make you feel like you are driving through dark matter. The interaction with the environment is realistic and less frustrating.
  • You don't lose half your HP when falling off a two foot drop (in fact you lose none).
  • Arty can't one shot you..
  • No gold ammo.
  • Schematics give you reasons to train other tanks other than ooh shiny.
  • Matchmaker doesn't outclass you, Tier II battle everyone is Tier II and a few IIIs thrown in
  • PVE - practice and grind your stock tank without the nuisance of being outclassed, grab some friends and you can grind without the nuisance of assholes
  • Unlimited garage slots and barracks
  • RNG is reduced.

I've only played it since yesterday this is what I've garnered.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 08:19:07 AM by Amarr HM »

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 09, 2015, 01:33:49 PM

Is the collector's edition/package worth it?

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 09, 2015, 01:52:45 PM

I'll get out my bullet points.

Thanks for taking the time.  That helps a lot.

-  Mark Twain
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 09, 2015, 02:13:06 PM

Oh and I forgot to mention RNG has less effect on your shots. You only notice it at long distance.

penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 09, 2015, 02:16:43 PM

I played the stress test on recommendation of some buddies, and enjoyed it enough to fork out for the Lords of War pack and I havent been disappointed. It plays at a good pace, and feels less campy than WOT did, even the Tier 1 M113 was fun to play. Just need to learn the maps better, Ive wandered into a spot and half a dozen shots have instakilled me as i didnt realise i was parading around in full view in front of their team.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #23 on: October 09, 2015, 02:28:54 PM

Is the collector's edition/package worth it?
I don't think they've announced the store pricing for things like premium time and gold and credits yet so it's hard to know for sure but assuming their pricing will be close to Wargaming's store pricing in World of Tanks then yes the collector edition packages are worth it -- i.e. the pricing of the sum of their individual parts is more than what you are paying for the package.

For the $40 packages you are essentially paying for the premium time, gold and credits and getting the exclusive tank for free. For the $75 package you are doing the same and getting all of the tanks for free (plus more).

Here's how the math works out using World of Tanks pricing. We'll use the lowest per unit bulk pricing we can get from the World of Tanks store just to make the AW pricing as unfavorable as possible.

For gold and credits you can buy 10k gold and 10 million credits for $100 in WoT. So for 6.5k gold and 6 million credits in AW we'll assume the price is $60, and 3.25k gold and 3 million credits is $30. 360 days of premium time in WoT is $96.49 which I'll round up to $100. So 120 days of Premium in AW is $33 and 60 days of premium is $14.

So the $40 packages are worth $30 + $14 or $44 just for the gold, credits and premium time -- i.e. you are getting the exclusive tank for free. The $75 package is worth $60 + $33 or $93 just for the gold, credits and premium time. So you are getting a bunch of tanks and all the other stuff for less than you would pay for the other stuff.

I don't know the tiers of all the AW tanks you get in the package and I'm not sure the credit pricing of those premiums but if we assume each one is worth ~$10 of gold then the $75 package is worth $93 + ~$50 or $143.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: October 09, 2015, 03:36:53 PM

The MOWAG Taifun II looks like a badass TD, it comes with the collectors edition.

WayAbvPar

Reply #25 on: October 09, 2015, 03:39:35 PM

If you want to play this in the next month I suggest you start your download now. I have been downloading for about an hour and barely have 2GB down. I am guessing their server is getting hammered or they are throttling bandwidth something fierce. For the first 20 minutes I was getting about 150kb/s and the estimated time for completion was over a day  ACK!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: October 10, 2015, 08:05:51 AM

Something about this one is way more sticky for me than WoT. Don't misunderstand, I am not trash talking WoT, it is just that something about this tank game appeals to me much more. I also seem to not suck as bad in it.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #27 on: October 10, 2015, 10:06:09 AM

I am sure this has been answered before, but are there going to be wipes, or whatever we do now is gonna be final?

penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: October 10, 2015, 11:04:09 AM

No more wipes.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 10, 2015, 11:10:23 AM

I am Pennilenko in game, if anyone wants to hang out with a terrible player.

WayAbvPar

Reply #30 on: October 10, 2015, 11:37:34 AM

Played a dozen games or so. About to get a tier 2 tank. I don't like the way the tanks drive- I feel like I am cruising around Tatooine in Luke's landspeeder.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #31 on: October 10, 2015, 12:13:11 PM

They're modern tanks. Modern tanks are a lot faster and more maneuverable than people think. Not landspeeder level, but they "sprint" and turn a lot better than most cars will.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: October 10, 2015, 12:39:02 PM

Wap I wouldn't judge it on the Tier I vehicles, but there is a lot more momentum to the way the move around.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: October 10, 2015, 12:40:41 PM

I've been watching Zeven's twitch stream to assess this game.  Zeven is one of the top WoT players and seems a decent source for comparative analyses as he played WoT at the highest levels.

-  Mark Twain
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: October 10, 2015, 02:08:03 PM

The XM800T is fun as fuck. It strikes me that the tank roles are more clearly defined.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Armored Warfare  
Jump to: