Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:39:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: FIFA Fun! AKA US gets revenge for getting passed over for Qatar 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: FIFA Fun! AKA US gets revenge for getting passed over for Qatar  (Read 25888 times)
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: June 02, 2015, 12:26:47 PM

How badly does the US want 2022?

This is one of the few times where it honestly isn't about that in my mind. I think they hit a nerve with the US. We understand small corruption to a point, but if we find out about big stuff our society will not tolerate it and will hammer you to the wall.

I think the US got tweaked that it was obvious Qatar paid for it, and they've taking off the gloves no matter who gets it. We just don't want it to be THOSE assholes and we're making it personal.

Someone who's not looking to get the games in their town might actually be the only thing that could smoke all the rats out.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #36 on: June 02, 2015, 01:39:17 PM

I can't even imagine the mountains of dirt they must have on him to force him out when he has refused for so long. Caught fucking a dead woman, a live boy, or an animal.
Hahaha, dear god yes.  I mean, he went through with the election, and then this was him immediatly after for the next few days:

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/30/europe/fifa-corruption-case-blatter/

"Its a conspiracy!  The Americans are just saying these terrible things because they want the games instead of Qatar!  They also support Jordan, where my rival was from!  I vow to continue my good fight for the good of the sport!"

Or even more amusingly (and this is an actual quote instead of an over the top summary): 
"I will continue my work and I will continue to fight for good things," Blatter said. "It is my duty to live up to a lot of responsibilities to fix the situation and recover our reputation -- but I am not alone. The executive committee has said they are with me."
And then all of a sudden it was King Aurther yelling: "Run away!  Run away!"  Guess the executive committee wasn't behind him that much.   why so serious?

So yeah, dear god that is one hell of a reversal.  Can only imagine what caused it.  Though there was this bit:
"Putin expressed confidence that the experience, professionalism and high authority will help Blatter to further contribute towards expanding the geography and popularity of football around the world," said Peskov.

I can think of no more damning an indictment than a praise from Putin.
Someone who's not looking to get the games in their town might actually be the only thing that could smoke all the rats out.
I'd hope people understand at this point that, despite soccer (or at least, the world cup event) finally gaining decent traction in the US, its still not a major concern for the vast majority of Americans (unlike many other places in the world), or more importantly, a point of pride.  Hosting the event is less important than hosting the Olympics in the mind of most Americans I'd say, which makes the claims we are doing this just because we are that bitter of Qatar is laughable.  Having said that, Soccer has made a lot of gains in the last decade, and the last two world cups it seems like I actually saw a lot of advertisement, and a lot of people watching games publicly while it was ongoing.  Which unfortunately for FIFA, means that it has finally gotten big enough in the US where the government does care about the conduct of the organization.  Too many US dollars are now tied up in it.  So in that regard, as you said, I think the US is probably the best country to use its resources to press the attack.  But of course, if it actually does any lasting good is the big question.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #37 on: June 02, 2015, 02:14:41 PM

I like this quote from him:
"Why would I step down? That would mean I recognise that I did wrong."
https://twitter.com/ben_rumsby/status/605783324502585347
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #38 on: June 02, 2015, 02:22:03 PM

Remember that this is the feds and it's a RICO case. RICO has been used to flip people who knew for a fact they'd be murdered if they talked, but they flipped anyway. 93% conviction rate.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #39 on: June 02, 2015, 02:42:50 PM

Also remember that the US case isn't about the 2018 or 2022 bids. It's about shit that happened before that process in other areas of the sport. Switzerland is investigating the bribes paid during World Cup bids.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #40 on: June 02, 2015, 05:23:30 PM

Yeah, the US case won't do diddly for the Qatar Cup.  That's bought and paid for barring a miracle.  Hell,  they released a report that essentially said it was BOUGHT and FIFA ignored it.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 07:13:28 PM by HaemishM »

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #41 on: June 02, 2015, 07:11:00 PM

Once a case gets accepted at the federal level and indictments handed down...it's a pretty good bet that someone is getting wrecked in court, or pleading out.

AUSAs generally don't like to take shitty cases - hell, they often don't even take the slam dunk cases if the charges are sufficiently bland. This whole thing getting rolled out against so many people? Heh, they might as well just surrender now.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: June 03, 2015, 02:32:35 AM

Fifa is going for the "blame a dead guy" gambit.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9872780?
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #43 on: June 03, 2015, 03:37:09 AM

<snip>... I think they hit a nerve with the US. We understand small corruption to a point, but if we find out about big stuff our society will not tolerate it and will hammer you to the wall.
That's a bit ironic, considering your entire political system is based on (legalized) corruption at a grand scale...  awesome, for real

I'm wondering if Blatter went through with the election if only so he could pretend that not continuing as president was entirely his choice; "You can't fire me, I quit!".

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #44 on: June 03, 2015, 05:23:21 AM

<snip>... I think they hit a nerve with the US. We understand small corruption to a point, but if we find out about big stuff our society will not tolerate it and will hammer you to the wall.
That's a bit ironic, considering your entire political system is based on (legalized) corruption at a grand scale...  awesome, for real

I'm wondering if Blatter went through with the election if only so he could pretend that not continuing as president was entirely his choice; "You can't fire me, I quit!".

Meh we're top 20 in the world by corruption perception indexes in terms of cleanest countries. Like I said, we do have some, but you can't be dickish about it. One of the favorite American pasttimes is a good ole-fashioned witchhunt. It's ironically similar to the way we view professional sporting rules, there "Gamesmanship" and there's "Cheating." God help you if you get found cheating. We love to tear down people we've built up.

I think Blatter went through it because he thought he was going to get away with it. But it become clear as sponsors started pulling out that he wasn't.

If it weren't for those meddling American kids and their dog, he'd still be in office.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: June 08, 2015, 11:31:30 PM

Blatter didn't want Qatar to win 2022, that was all Platini.

And Sepp hasn't quit yet, just announced his intention to.

Just like he announced his intention not to stand for reelection every time, only to change after announcing the world needed him.

Lot of water still to go with this story.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: June 26, 2015, 02:13:36 PM

And Sepp hasn't quit yet, just announced his intention to.

Just like he announced his intention not to stand for reelection every time, only to change after announcing the world needed him.

Lot of water still to go with this story.

And now, Sepp is saying that he did not resign!

Sepp Blatter: Fifa president says he did not resign

A Fifa statement confirmed a report in Swiss newspaper Blick,  which said Blatter told a party: "I did not resign, I put myself and my office in the hands of the Fifa congress."

Blatter is thought to be considering standing for re-election as president.

I think the Swiss police might need to speed up their inquiry...  why so serious?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
WayAbvPar

Reply #47 on: June 26, 2015, 02:19:20 PM

He is such a fucking weasel. Fuck him and fuck all the shitty little countries in FIFA that sell their votes so he and his cronies can destroy soccer for their own profit. Fucking cunts, the lot of them.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: September 25, 2015, 11:20:46 AM

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: October 02, 2015, 04:43:29 PM

Shit's getting real today:

Coca-cola has called for Sepp Blatter to step down, joined by MacDonalds,Budweiser's parent company AB InBev, and VISA.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: October 07, 2015, 11:44:46 AM

So now it looks like FIFA is going to suspend Blatter for 90 days.

Popcorn

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: October 08, 2015, 04:58:12 AM

And it keeps getting better!

Blatter and Platini given 90 day suspensions, Moon given six year suspension

So pretty much everyone running for FIFA president in February is embroiled in an ethics scandal.

Maybe they should disqualify anyone who has been an executive at FIFA in the past? Heh.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #52 on: October 08, 2015, 07:38:44 AM

They could get some random drunken Gooner out of the stands at the Emirates and be assured of having a more ethical executive than they do now.

WayAbvPar

Reply #53 on: October 08, 2015, 08:35:26 AM

It is all really just window dressing unless they take the 2022 World Cup away from Qatar and award it to somewhere that has the infrastructure (and the climate) for it, or that can build the infrastructure without killing a migrant worker every day.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: December 21, 2015, 01:23:14 AM

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: December 21, 2015, 04:37:31 AM

Yahoo!

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #56 on: December 21, 2015, 06:50:35 AM

It is all really just window dressing unless they take the 2022 World Cup away from Qatar and award it to somewhere that has the infrastructure (and the climate) for it, or that can build the infrastructure without killing a migrant worker every day.

This is still true though right?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #57 on: December 21, 2015, 09:07:12 AM

Oh yeah, FIFA's not changing the World Cup places. The bribes have already been paid, can't renege now.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: December 28, 2015, 11:15:30 AM

Oooh eeeemmm geeeeee they sacrificed 2 people and are now smelling of roses for another 20 years till the next scandal too big to be hushed up causes them to sacrifice another 2 people.

In the meantime every team with sense will be trying NOT to qualify for the quatar world cup becasye fuck if they are going to give the honest bribes back.

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: FIFA Fun! AKA US gets revenge for getting passed over for Qatar  
Jump to: