Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:36:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: FIFA Fun! AKA US gets revenge for getting passed over for Qatar 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: FIFA Fun! AKA US gets revenge for getting passed over for Qatar  (Read 25887 times)
rattran

Unreasonable

on: May 27, 2015, 07:04:41 AM

FIFA Officials Arrested Over Alleged $150M Bribery Scheme

I'm not sure anyone will be surprised, other than by the extent. 2 generations of officials are alleged to be involved.

In a series of overnight busts, authorities arrested high-ranking FIFA officials over allegations of vast racketeering and corruption involving more than $150 million in bribes and kickbacks spanning two decades in soccer’s controversial governing body, law enforcement officials said.

In all, 14 people, which include a trio of sports marketing executives, have been charged by the Department of Justice for allegedly “foster[ing] a culture of corruption and greed that created an uneven playing field for the biggest sport in the world,” as FBI Director James Comey put it. Police are also in the process of executing a search warrant at a location in Miami related to the investigation.

The investigation grew out of allegations of payoffs to officials who decided where to hold the next two World Cups, the biggest international event in sports, that landed the games in Russia for 2018 and Qatar in 2022, according to three senior U.S. law enforcement officials. The U.S. was runner-up to Qatar’s win.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 07:05:24 AM

And yet we're still letting Qatar happen. On the backs of human slavery dying every day.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 08:08:14 AM

The fact that Blatter was included makes it useless.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 08:22:37 AM

You mean wasn't.  No, this is standard for racekteering arrests. You get the little fish so they flip for a lighter sentencing deal and turn-in the big fish. I understand these guys were arrested after another FIFA official who was arrested in 2011 flipped on them. 

You saw the same thing with ENRON and Ken Lay. (Though that gave him enough time to set up the faking of his death and the vacating of his sentence & asset seizure after his death  Tinfoil Hat)

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 08:25:09 AM

Well if you want to go full Tinfoil Hat maybe this is Blatter removing any last resistance to his reign.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 08:32:01 AM

Please note any Tinfoil Hat comments are meant as sarcastically and improbably as possible. I believe in conspiracy theories less than I believe in Bigfoot.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 09:52:30 AM

Well if you want to go full Tinfoil Hat maybe this is Blatter removing any last resistance to his reign.

That was actually one of my thoughts. Maybe he's getting rid of voters that won't support him.

The fact that Qatar has happened at all was amazing - that it continues ought to be expected. The minute Blatter gives even an inch of Qatar, he might as well confess to taking kickbacks to make that happen and fucking little boys. Because I'm sure both things happen and I wouldn't lay odds on one being more likely than the other.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 11:45:22 AM

Sporting News @sportingnews

Informant in FIFA case reportedly housed his cats in a $6,000-per-month Trump Tower condo. sportingnews.com/soccer/story/2…

And then a gazillion tweets about that guy, with references to James Bond flims, Game of Thrones, Santa, etc.

According to an extensive report compiled by the New York Daily News in November, Blazer was flipped by the FBI and IRS to act as a mole as they built their case against the world's governing body for soccer. Blazer recorded conversations with the top officials as far back as the 2012 Olympics in London.

Blazer's story is an interesting one. He spent millions of dollars during his tenure with FIFA and CONCACAF and lived an incredibly lavish lifestyle, including apartments in New York, Miami and the Bahamas. He had two apartments in Trump Tower — one, an $18,000-per-month unit he lived in and then a connecting $6,000 condo used mostly to house his "unruly cats."

http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/story/2015-05-27/fifa-arrests-chuck-blazer-mole-fbi-irs-sepp-blatter-us-justice-department?eadid=SOC/Twi/SNMain
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 11:51:23 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 11:48:54 AM

It looks as though the FBI case is based on events that aren't related to the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bids. However the Swiss have announced their own criminal proceedings (FIFA is headquartered in Zürich) about bribes and illegalities during those processes.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 12:16:42 PM

I mean honestly if we as a society let the Qatar bid stand while they knowingly murder people to make a sporting event happen, we should just fucking quit trying to be a society.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 02:01:28 PM

I hope they nail the lot of them to the wall.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 02:33:40 PM

I could give a shit about soccer but you're welcome, filthy euros.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 02:38:06 PM

I could give a shit about soccer but you're welcome, filthy euros.

They really need to drop soccer and embrace American Football.  Then they only have to deal with drugs, dog fighters, domestic abuse, child abuse, and the occasional murderer.   awesome, for real
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 03:22:28 PM

as well as a totally corrupt organising organisation  why so serious?

Hic sunt dracones.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 03:25:59 PM

Poorly executed but I like the picture they picked:

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 06:14:53 PM

You mean wasn't.  No, this is standard for racekteering arrests. You get the little fish so they flip for a lighter sentencing deal and turn-in the big fish. I understand these guys were arrested after another FIFA official who was arrested in 2011 flipped on them. 

You saw the same thing with ENRON and Ken Lay. (Though that gave him enough time to set up the faking of his death and the vacating of his sentence & asset seizure after his death  Tinfoil Hat)

Yeah, I don't think we've seen an end to this.  I'm willing to bet some, if not all, of them are going to flip on whoever they can to get the best deal possible for themselves.  This could potentially include Blatter.  God willing! Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015, 01:54:43 AM

Pretty much.  Not 100% sure how much the US will push on this, but this could lead to further prosecution.  Going after all the secondary guys, getting some of them to flip, gives the prosecution a rock solid case to hit the guys at the top.  Going straight for the top guy is much more risky.

The US doing this also opens the doors for others.  Nobody wanted to fire the first shot.  Now that the US has, and is tanking the media attention/agro, others can move in.  We are hitting them for stuff that happened before the Russia/Qatar cluster fuck, which is smart since it avoids direct conflict of interest (since we were bidding also).  But now the Swiss are moving in to investigate just that.  I wouldn’t be surprised if others now also open up their own investigations.  They were doing this shit all over the place, and I'm sure it has to be illegal activity in several other countries also.

And in an unsurprising development, Putin is not amused.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2015/05/28/why-the-fifa-arrests-made-russia-so-angry-with-the-u-s/

awesome, for real
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 03:16:46 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 04:29:19 AM

Also as a further demand of the US, everyone must now call it soccer.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 05:19:51 AM

Cold War all over again.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 29, 2015, 10:20:50 PM

To no-ones surprises, Blatter was re-elected. However there was some surprise that he failed to get the 2/3rds majority needed to go through on the first round and had to go through to the seconds round where he needed a simple Majority.

And more indictments have been signaled

Richard Weber, the chief of the I.R.S. unit in charge of criminal investigations, said he was “fairly confident” that there would be another round of indictments in the FIFA case. His comments came days after 14 people were charged in bribery and kickback schemes that corrupted the highest echelons of soccer’s governing body.

The American government’s aggressive move shocked the soccer world and led to questions about whether the United States had set out on a mission to topple the leadership of FIFA, which has long been troubled by allegations of corruption. But officials at the Justice Department, the F.B.I. and the I.R.S. said the impetus was criminal activity and organized crime that just happened to occur in the soccer world.

“I don’t think there was ever a decision or a declaration that we would go after soccer,” Mr. Weber said. “We were going after corruption.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/30/sports/soccer/more-indictments-expected-in-fifa-case-irs-official-says.html

Hic sunt dracones.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 10:10:29 AM

And Sepp quits!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #21 on: June 02, 2015, 10:15:21 AM

And Sepp quits!

Which is great and all, but makes no sense since he just got re-elected. Unless, of course, that noose was getting a tad bit tighter.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 02, 2015, 10:24:21 AM

The sponsors must have issued an ultimatum to FIFA because it was making them look bad by association. Thats McDonnels, Budweiser, Visa, Adidas, Hyundai and Kia motors...

Hic sunt dracones.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #23 on: June 02, 2015, 10:31:19 AM

The sponsors must have issued an ultimatum to FIFA because it was making them look bad by association. Thats McDonnels, Budweiser, Visa, Adidas, Hyundai and Kia motors...

John Oliver is going to have to chug a Bud Light Lime.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #24 on: June 02, 2015, 10:38:00 AM

But seriously, it's soccer now.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #25 on: June 02, 2015, 10:47:08 AM

Next step for Sepp Blatter? Faking his own death and joining Ken Lay in the south pacific to bang hot azns.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #26 on: June 02, 2015, 11:17:42 AM

...the fuck?

I mean, it's good he's gone and all but either he was getting serious heat from the sponsors or the fix is in. Otherwise, why wait until 4 days after the election? Why not just withdraw from the election, unless the guy you'd have lost to had his own gravy train to reward and you weren't on that train? I expect the successor to be a crony of his.

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 02, 2015, 11:24:08 AM

Fifa will get fixed just like the banks were. They'll do "reforms" in Qatar and the Russia situation will be forgotten by the news cycle until it's too late. 

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #28 on: June 02, 2015, 11:30:36 AM

Fifa will get fixed just like the banks were. They'll do "reforms" in Qatar and the Russia situation will be forgotten by the news cycle until it's too late. 

I hope not. If they follow they money they'll prove how Qatar bought and paid for the thing, and they'll redo the votes without them in the mix. It's far enough out where they can eat the expense for their lies.

I don't case as much about Russia, unless they follow through on their prison labor plan. In which case fuck them.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #29 on: June 02, 2015, 11:45:53 AM

...the fuck?

I mean, it's good he's gone and all but either he was getting serious heat from the sponsors or the fix is in. Otherwise, why wait until 4 days after the election? Why not just withdraw from the election, unless the guy you'd have lost to had his own gravy train to reward and you weren't on that train? I expect the successor to be a crony of his.

I imagine it took some time for the reality that his world is crumbling to sink in for a guy who think's he's that untouchable .

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: June 02, 2015, 11:51:37 AM

I hope not. If they follow they money they'll prove how Qatar bought and paid for the thing, and they'll redo the votes without them in the mix. It's far enough out where they can eat the expense for their lies.

I don't case as much about Russia, unless they follow through on their prison labor plan. In which case fuck them.

I think it depends on how many people Qatar has bribed. I'm sure the FBI could unravel the whole thing, but will they be allowed to? How badly does the US want 2022?

I have actually no idea, I'm just pessimistic enough to not believe that the transnational power structures involved would go so far in destroying what is ultimately a game rigged in their favor. Would be great if it happened though.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #31 on: June 02, 2015, 12:06:16 PM

How badly does the US want 2022?

This is one of the few times where it honestly isn't about that in my mind. I think they hit a nerve with the US. We understand small corruption to a point, but if we find out about big stuff our society will not tolerate it and will hammer you to the wall.

I think the US got tweaked that it was obvious Qatar paid for it, and they've taking off the gloves no matter who gets it. We just don't want it to be THOSE assholes and we're making it personal.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #32 on: June 02, 2015, 12:09:13 PM

...the fuck?

My mindset is that he had to wait to win the election and then he can pick his successor with more influence. That is the only reason I can think of in terms of waiting till after the election win.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: June 02, 2015, 12:12:07 PM

Or he needs just a little more time because the Enron-class shredders were on back order.  why so serious?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
WayAbvPar

Reply #34 on: June 02, 2015, 12:21:05 PM

I can't even imagine the mountains of dirt they must have on him to force him out when he has refused for so long. Caught fucking a dead woman, a live boy, or an animal.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: FIFA Fun! AKA US gets revenge for getting passed over for Qatar  
Jump to: