Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:28:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Warships 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Warships  (Read 241581 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #210 on: July 01, 2015, 03:44:33 PM

I haven't played since then. In the videos they are able to drop really close to the target (basically just outside of minimum arming distance). I was never able to figure out how to manually drop that close.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: July 01, 2015, 05:40:14 PM

They removed that requirement after the feed back from the public test of 0.4.0.   So manual drops are available from the first game you play in a carrier.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: July 01, 2015, 11:35:35 PM

Having now played since a few days before end of closed beta, having fun but 80 percent of games are the Hillsbrad shuffle.  Two long skirmishing lines at about 9 km out, if someone takes 10 percent damage they retreat to 10 or 11 km.  If you try extreme flanking, 5 ships break off and instagank you.  Getting closer than 9 km gets you the tab of doom.  This means matches go on for 20 min with just 3 or 4 deaths on either side.  Torps useless because even BBs can dodge if they are launched 10kn out.

Does it get better, or is shooting at .1 km less than your max range (and taking the same) the endgame?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 11:38:51 PM by Triforcer »

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: July 02, 2015, 02:16:58 AM

Yeah I've seen videos of it but I still can't seem to do a manual drop the way it's shown in those, but I don't play carriers much so I don't have much practice at it. It's annoying that a lot of basic UI control stuff isn't documented in the game.

Remember now you need a level 2 skill to do a manual drop. That may be your issue.

No they didn't put that in. You still can.  Also, if you are trying and failing to do torpedo runs as a US destroyer, switch to IJN, Their destroyers are AMAZING compared to the US ones. Your detection range is like 6 KM and your torpedo range is 7 km so you can pretend you are a sub...

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #214 on: July 02, 2015, 05:08:49 AM

Does it get better, or is shooting at .1 km less than your max range (and taking the same) the endgame?

This appears to be the early, middle, and end game. Lord knows things go exactly how you described if I try to get a little aggressive and deviate from it.

I'm also starting to wonder if that "aim assist" mod is still working. It either is or there are an awful lot of good shots out there.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: July 02, 2015, 08:26:14 AM

This appears to be the early, middle, and end game. Lord knows things go exactly how you described if I try to get a little aggressive and deviate from it.

I'm also starting to wonder if that "aim assist" mod is still working. It either is or there are an awful lot of good shots out there.

It changes up as you go up the tiers, there are more ship types, the ships become more capable and the maps get bigger.  There are more options and you find out that even battleships have more to do than just sail along in a straight line lobbing shells at the other side of the map.

I don't think people are using aim assist, it's more a function of short range and targets that don't change direction and speed much.   I just finished a game with over 90 hits in my Clemson (tier 4 US DD) where I got 46 hits on South Carolina because he just sailed along broadside on to me at a constant speed.  Just turning towards me would have helped since dispersion is in azimuth, presenting a narrow target makes you harder to hit.  It is also helpful to avoid torpedoes since a head on shot is the easiest to dodge.  The hardest shots are for targets that are heading towards you or away from you at an angle.  Judging lead for 2 axis is much more difficult than a simple closing or crossing shot.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #216 on: July 02, 2015, 09:50:38 AM

Open Beta started - we could change the subject.
Is there any guide to torpedos? I just cant figure how i can hit anything without comming really close or just blindly fire them out in enemy general direction  swamp poop
I don't think it's OB just yet.  It was more of letting additional people in to test the load capacity of their servers.  Still technically CB.

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/35533-closed-beta-final-load-test/
Open Beta started about 9 hours ago.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: July 02, 2015, 11:15:51 AM

Open Beta started - we could change the subject.
Is there any guide to torpedos? I just cant figure how i can hit anything without comming really close or just blindly fire them out in enemy general direction  swamp poop
I don't think it's OB just yet.  It was more of letting additional people in to test the load capacity of their servers.  Still technically CB.

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/35533-closed-beta-final-load-test/
Open Beta started about 9 hours ago.

Note the time and date I posted that.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #218 on: July 02, 2015, 11:17:33 AM

Yes you posted that 24 hours before my post.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #219 on: July 02, 2015, 11:28:17 AM

0.4 is not my friend. I swear destroyers are just made of fucking tissue paper in this patch, and are borderline unplayable for me because of it.

WayAbvPar

Reply #220 on: July 02, 2015, 11:55:27 AM

You really need to learn your spot range and dance just on the edge of it. Keep your smoke and engine boost ready in case someone veers toward you unexpectedly and spots you, then hightail it the fuck out of there. If you are spotted by more than 1 ship that isn't already engaged, you are probably dead. For IJN, you can dance just out of spotting range and spam torpedoes. For US, you are better off dropping smoke and shooting your guns from in/behind it to remain unspotted.

You will still die hilariously and often, but this should help get some hits/kills on the board before you do.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: July 02, 2015, 12:15:29 PM

There's a skill captains can get to tell you when you've been spotted, mighty helpful in a destroyer.

- Viin
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #222 on: July 02, 2015, 12:27:50 PM

Problem is I'm actually trying to kill people with torps, which requires you to get within detection range. Or do you guys literally just drop torps at extreme range and hope for the best?

WayAbvPar

Reply #223 on: July 02, 2015, 12:41:28 PM

IJN torpedoes can hit from outside of detection range above about tier 2.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: July 02, 2015, 12:44:08 PM

It is hard, but you can move and turn fast so if you are lucky you can keep most of the shots away from you. Best to go in a pack of destroyers and use the islands as cover to pop out and surprise the enemy. Then run away as fast and swerve-y as you can. "Zig zag! Zig zag!"

- Viin
WayAbvPar

Reply #225 on: July 02, 2015, 12:46:31 PM

You can also fire at ships that are approaching, so they will be in range when the torps arrive even if they are not when you launch.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #226 on: July 02, 2015, 03:40:59 PM

Fuck it... downloaded. No idea wtf I am doing, but I did sink some bots and also got smashed a few times.  That's good enough for me.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: July 02, 2015, 05:20:00 PM

Problem is I'm actually trying to kill people with torps, which requires you to get within detection range. Or do you guys literally just drop torps at extreme range and hope for the best?

I've given up and just fire my guns from just inside my range. If I'm in an IJN destroyer I might try for a torpedo kill on a target of opportunity, but never in a US ship. you'll be dead long before you get close enough. Especially at the early tiers with half a dozen St.Louis' firing ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND HE shells at you every second.

AS far as I can tell the aim assist mod doesn't work anymore. I've tried both versions and neither does anything.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: July 02, 2015, 07:27:28 PM

with half a dozen St.Louis' firing ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND HE shells at you every second.

evil

- Viin
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #229 on: July 02, 2015, 09:20:46 PM

Yeah, that's been pretty much my experience with destroyers. You can't even get close to one cruiser, much less a battleship without just getting asspounded. I swear that destroyers were a bit more sturdy in the 0.3 version though. I'd still expect to die, but the number of crits that just hammer me in 0.4 is ridiculous.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: July 04, 2015, 11:38:05 AM

Yeah, that's been pretty much my experience with destroyers. You can't even get close to one cruiser, much less a battleship without just getting asspounded. I swear that destroyers were a bit more sturdy in the 0.3 version though. I'd still expect to die, but the number of crits that just hammer me in 0.4 is ridiculous.

If you want to be stealthy mc torpedo, get tier 4/5 IJN destroyer. They are deliciously fun, detection at 6.1 KM and torps range of 7. Use the ones that travel at 68KHM and cackle with glee.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #231 on: July 04, 2015, 03:25:36 PM

Yes, destroyers seem to be on the bottom of the food chain at the moment. I at least tried all classes during closed beta and DDs are the one I am not taking up again (for the moment).

As IJN DD you can fire your torpedoes from outside the spotting range, but to hit this requires the target to sail in a straight line for ages obviously. Minekaze (T5) is the high point the line for the IJN, might be worth grinding up to it and then just stop there.

Edit: But personally I would just play IJN cruisers. Unlike US ones they keep their torpedoes. Furutaka (T5) sucks, but besides that the the line is really fun to play.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 03:39:45 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: July 05, 2015, 07:50:01 AM

Destroyers are my favorite class.  I prefer US destroyers which are more gun focussed, but I still manage a few torpedo hits per match.  The key is to pick a distracted target and use islands and smoke to get close before dropping your salvo.  I try to take out opposing DDs first then work on capping or breaking caps, if I spot an unsupported BB I'll focus on taking him down.  My rule with cruisers is run away since they have quick firing and traversing guns and can ruin your day.  I generally ignore CVs since I've seen too many games lost by DDs  leaving or ignoring caps to chase CVs sitting on the back edge of the map.
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: July 05, 2015, 10:57:50 AM

Battleships are horrible (read: I am horrible with BBs).  Ohhhhh, I see.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: July 05, 2015, 11:10:01 AM

If you're looking for some advice on how not to suck, check out this guys videos.  They're pretty comprehensive and cover a lot of topics.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDzvim_rx7l59Mv0xT-RNOA

Example video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKV4k0Ahgls
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: July 05, 2015, 11:32:13 AM

I have to say that (jpn) cruisers are my favorite at the moment as they offer a compromise that I like between dd and bb; a faster rate of fire than battleships (but not their firepower or durability) plus torpedoes while being more robust than destroyers (but lacking their stealth).
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: July 06, 2015, 05:01:32 PM

I saw my first tier 10 ship today along with a few tier 9's.  Time for some people to change their poop sock.

How far along is everyone so far?  I've gotten to tier 5 with 2 ships, Omaha and Kongo, and tier 4 with both carrier lines, US BS and IJN DD.  I'm concentrating on US CA line atm and steaming along to the Cleveland.
WayAbvPar

Reply #237 on: July 06, 2015, 07:24:29 PM

Low level IJN DDs (especially with a decent commander) are just murderous right now. No one knows how to watch for torps. Had 5 kills in my tier 2 last night, and had torps otw to two other targets when we capped out. It was fox in a henhouse stuff  awesome, for real

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: July 06, 2015, 10:17:56 PM

Low level IJN DDs (especially with a decent commander) are just murderous right now. No one knows how to watch for torps. Had 5 kills in my tier 2 last night, and had torps otw to two other targets when we capped out. It was fox in a henhouse stuff  awesome, for real

DDs are great fun if there aren't many and the other sides' aren't too good so they sink early and you can concentrate on sneaking thru the enemy lines. Had great fun doing that and sinking 2 carriers and a battleship when the enemy was too slow to come to help them so I could charge in for close quarter torp runs (though the battleships secondary guns were a hassle).
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: July 06, 2015, 10:46:15 PM

I think I pissed Way off last night, I hid around an island and dove onto a cruiser and a battleship side by side and put point blank torps into both of them for a double sinking. He was right behind me waiting to finish them off.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: July 07, 2015, 01:23:24 AM

Just had a really unfair match with one side having 3 DDs compared to the others' 0. Needless to say it was a slaughter (and I actually managed to break 100k damage on a tier 4 dd  why so serious?)
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: July 07, 2015, 01:46:07 AM

Just had a really unfair match with one side having 3 DDs compared to the others' 0. Needless to say it was a slaughter (and I actually managed to break 100k damage on a tier 4 dd  why so serious?)

Holy shit!  Nice. Thumbs up!

I thought I did well last night when I got 5 citadel hits on 5 different ships with the Warspite at 14KM+, with over 86k damage.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: July 07, 2015, 10:42:36 AM

I'm finding that IJN cruisers seem to be the only vessel I don't completely suck in.  Fast, not made of tissue paper, quick reloads, torps.  I can actually flank and get to the carriers sometimes, and can run away from the alt tab of doom or 1v1 battleship situations before it is too late.   I can't kill anything in a battleship for some reason, and destroyers are way too fragile.     

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: July 07, 2015, 10:55:34 AM

I can't kill anything in a battleship for some reason, and destroyers are way too fragile.     

Battleship spread is really disheartening. More often than not I'll have 12 barrels lined up for plunging fire to pound another battleship dead midline and when the shots land 2 of them hit while the other 10 plunk into the ocean in a circular pattern around the other ship. Or I fire a test shot with one turret and the two projectiles fly off at a 45 degree angle to each other, like some sort of eye lasers coming from of a walleye carp. And even when they do hit they don't seem to do a lot more than cruiser damage unless you get a citadel hit.

Cruisers on the other hand seem to be super accurate and will start at least one fire with every salvo. Two hits for 1000 or 4 hits for 670 + fires, cruisers are the way to go.

Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: July 07, 2015, 11:29:13 AM

Battleships might work better if I was still smoking. Plenty of time to light up and sit back. Finally get to battle? Shoot, light up, sit back, watch TV, come back, shoot again...repeat why so serious?

I am learning Destroyers currently. They seem to be, for me at any rate, suicide boats. Lots of risk, possibly torp hits, lots of running away screaming. Cruisers are pretty fun as the middle man.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Warships  
Jump to: