Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:51:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Warships 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Warships  (Read 241570 times)
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

on: May 13, 2015, 01:39:52 AM

Don't worry, I am not going to make any inane "It's like World of Tanks but with ships!" jokes....  wink

So right to the basics:

Currently in the closed beta stage. Whereas closed means 'buy to get in'. Buying a premium ship opens access, which starts at 19.99 € / $.

Release / open beta is scheduled for ~ September. Seems to be a conservative date, the game feels quite solid at the current stage.

Ship classes:

• Destroyers. Fast & nimbles. Torpedoes, torpedoes. Often Laying smoke screens to protect themselves.
  • Cruisers. All-rounders. Still fire rather fast (down to 5 seconds reload for some). Still some torpedoes (depends on Tier and nations). Secondary role as AA-platforms to protect battleships and cruisers.
  • Battleships. Looong range. Slow firing. Slow turning. 30 seconds main gun reload time, 60 seconds for a turret to traverse 180° degrees to give an example. This is very aiming starts to become tricky. When shells need 20 seconds to reach their target and the artillery dispersion is larger than target it feels like trying to snipe with a shotgun.
  • Carriers. Now we are playing a different genre: RTS. Fighters, Dive Bombers, Torpedo Bombers. The airwing loadout can be swapped out to a degree, depending on nation and preferred play-style. I haven't played them yet, but the managing your planes, setting up proper torpedo attacks, fighting other carriers wings, etc... seems to be quite involved. More cerebral I think.

Playable factions will be the US Navy, IJN, Royal Navy and Kriegsmarine. So far only the former two are implemented.

Official website (EU]
Official website (US)

Let's play / game introduction on Youtube

F13 members playing:

Code:
F13         WoW        Region
=============================
Tmon        Phredde    NA
Ginaz       Ginaz      NA
Mortriden   Valhalla01 NA
Strazos     Strazos    NA
HaemishM    HaemishM   NA

calapine    Calapine   EU
satael      satael     EU
Falconeer   Falconeer  EU
SirT        Suranis1   EU
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 08:55:25 PM by Trippy »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 01:44:25 AM

I am all over this game as I was all over World of Tanks (much less about planes). It seems to be lot more MechWarrior with boats than World of Tanks I believe. But anyway, I want a closed beta key very bad, so hand me one! (please)  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 01:52:37 AM

I am all over this game as I was all over World of Tanks (much less about planes). It seems to be lot more MechWarrior with boats than World of Tanks I believe. But anyway, I want a closed beta key very bad, so hand me one! (please)  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

I don't have one, sorry.  Heartbreak AFAIK the only way to get in at this moment is to buy something premium (starting at ~ 20 €).

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 03:59:58 AM

This game looks pretty great. 
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 06:18:18 AM

My WoT clan is pretty much just playing Warships right now.  Thinking of taking the plunge.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 10:03:36 AM

(un)luckily the only premium ships on their website (that include the closed beta access) are destroyers and no carriers so I can (atleast for now) resist the temptation...  why so serious?
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 10:33:38 AM

Are they planning on combining all of these into one big World of War game?

- Viin
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 10:33:50 AM

The patch this morning added Japanese carriers and American Battleships.

Are they planning on combining all of these into one big World of War game?

No. It wouldn't work without them redoing the engine and all the maps - basically making a whole entirely new game. It works in War Thunder because they designed everything that way from the start.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 10:36:10 AM by angry.bob »

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 01:04:25 PM

My WoT clan is pretty much just playing Warships right now.  Thinking of taking the plunge.

I would say "Can I join you guys, pleeeeease?" but I suppose you are playing on the NA server, correctly?

But that reminds me: If someone takes this up and wants to be found, post your nickname (and region). I will edit the original post and start a list with names.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 01:08:11 PM by calapine »

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 02:00:19 PM

I'm on the NA server as Phredde
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 06:13:56 PM

Thanks to awesome friends, I'm in as Falconeer on the EU server.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 10:31:02 PM

I gave in and so you can find me as satael on EU server.   why so serious?
edit: seeing Yamamoto as tier 10 battleship for Japan was too much for me to resist
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 01:14:13 AM by satael »
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 07:01:56 AM

You know it doesn't come with a Wave Motion Cannon, right?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 07:04:15 AM

edit: seeing Yamamoto as tier 10 battleship for Japan was too much for me to resist

Yamato.  swamp poop

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 14, 2015, 07:06:31 AM

Yamato.  swamp poop

My bad, I always mix it due to Isoroku Yamamoto.
Mortriden
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 14, 2015, 09:00:06 AM

NA server - Valhalla01

The premium ships work just like premium tanks in WoT; so you can train your captains with them if they are same nation and class.  The US Sims is a barrel of awesome, once you figure out how to play the damn thing.  The Yubari is suspect, but it's the cheapest, AND it has one major saving grace... it has wicked AA for a Tier 4 ship.  If there is a Carrier on the other team, you immediately become every Kawachi and Myogi's best friend.  The Grim is a Cruiser in Destroyer's clothing.  Big guns, slow traverse/turn rate, long range, slow longer range torpedoes, low health. 

Look up iChase gaming on YouTube if you want to watch some fairly good vids on gameplay and how some of the ships operate.   

It's like calling shenanigans.  But you say "jihad" instead. - Llava
They are out there, but they are bi-products of funny families. If you know funny old people, see if they have daughters. -Paelos
Yes my seed is that strong. I literally clap my hands and women are with child. -Paelos
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 14, 2015, 10:52:48 AM

One thing about WoWS premium ships, there is no concept of class for captains, they are trained for a specific ship not a type of ship.  This means you can use a premium destroyer to train a BB captain if you want.  The closest thing to a class for captains is that as you pick crew skills some will only be useful in a particular type of ships.  I usually use my Sims or Greg to speed up retraining when I transition a captain to a new non-premium ship.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 14, 2015, 11:24:11 AM

NA server - Valhalla01

The premium ships work just like premium tanks in WoT; so you can train your captains with them if they are same nation and class.  The US Sims is a barrel of awesome, once you figure out how to play the damn thing.  The Yubari is suspect, but it's the cheapest, AND it has one major saving grace... it has wicked AA for a Tier 4 ship.  If there is a Carrier on the other team, you immediately become every Kawachi and Myogi's best friend.  The Grim is a Cruiser in Destroyer's clothing.  Big guns, slow traverse/turn rate, long range, slow longer range torpedoes, low health. 

Look up iChase gaming on YouTube if you want to watch some fairly good vids on gameplay and how some of the ships operate.   

Ginaz NA server.

I have to agree with you about those premium ships.  They are all pretty good.  I haven't played the Yubari much but the 2 destroyers are a whole lot of fun to play, esp. the Sims.  The Sims guns fire so fast that you can often fire off a 2nd salvo before your 1st hits the target.  Torpedo range is shit but it's shit with pretty much all the US destroyers.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 14, 2015, 09:46:42 PM

NA server - Valhalla01

Ginaz NA server.

I have to agree with you about those premium ships.  They are all pretty good.  I haven't played the Yubari much but the 2 destroyers are a whole lot of fun to play, esp. the Sims.  The Sims guns fire so fast that you can often fire off a 2nd salvo before your 1st hits the target.  Torpedo range is shit but it's shit with pretty much all the US destroyers.

The Yubari is a beast and might get nerfed at some point in my opinion.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 15, 2015, 05:13:56 AM

I bought the three pack of premiums when they first had it on sale.  I've been pretty happy with all three ships.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: May 15, 2015, 12:27:19 PM

The Yubari is a beast and might get nerfed at some point in my opinion.

Or maybe you are just that good?  wink

Haven't played much with her, but I wouldn't call it a beginner ship. The ship artillery is rather weak for it's tier and class. The torpedos are strong, but have a rather narrow firing arc, which makes them somewhat tricky to use. The American cruisers or the Sims are probably better alternatives for a newbies "My First Warship".

---
Two links that might be helfull:

World of Warships Database

Aslain's WoWS ModPack - Some nice QoL mods, like a better crosshair and new over target markers (no need to press ALT all the time...)

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 12:31:14 PM by calapine »

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 16, 2015, 08:32:07 AM

Haven't found this on the web yet, so I made a quick cheat-sheet with battleship speeds and ranges to help estimate the lead for the first salvo and when the opponents ship can return the fire. (My current BB is the Fuso, which out-ranges most adverseries at it's tier.)

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 16, 2015, 10:22:05 AM

A (newbie) tip for anyone doing low tier levelling (and so quickly changing from one ship to another): the white circle around you on the minimap is the max range of your currently chosen weapon (especially useful when using torpedoes and you just can't remember what was the max range on the particular model).  awesome, for real
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 16, 2015, 10:45:18 AM

Not that it matters, but why does it say that I've won 0 battles under my Profile? Beta?

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 16, 2015, 11:54:46 AM

Not that it matters, but why does it say that I've won 0 battles under my Profile? Beta?

I'm pretty sure that co-op battles don't count. Co-op opponents are all bots and it's the default game mode in the client right now.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: May 16, 2015, 12:48:30 PM

I think you have to switch it to random, which is playing against other players.  Co-op is your human team vs. bots.  It's nice they added a co-op mode and it's something I wish World of Tanks had.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 18, 2015, 10:14:13 AM

Let's face it. This game is FUCKING AWESOME!

Even though I don't understand crap and I am probably terrible at it. I can totally see myself burn millions on this just to get all the ships models. Anyway, I'd like a few random pointers from those with a little more experience.

The gunning is pretty straight forward.

But what about Movement? This game is like World of Tanks but 10000 times slower. So since pretty much everyone is gonna hit everyone every time (not really, but bear with me), positioning is everything. Except, it takes about one minute to change direction and up to five or even more to get wherever you want to go. You can not ever ever ever backtrack and you rarely have a real chance to make anything out of turning, even though that's clearly the key. It feels a lot that you have to commit to a plan/position at the beginning of the battle and then TRY to adjust when things star falling apart, which will take you so long you'll probably win or die anyway without really understanding why.

Clearly, this is my description of very low level play. And that's why I am interested in understanding how things should pan out if I knew what I'm doing.

I know it's too broad, but can I have some basics on:

a) tactics
b) positioning

Anyone?

EDIT: Additional question. Is any wipe planned? I just hate to see progress reset, in everything.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 10:21:17 AM by Falconeer »

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 18, 2015, 04:55:38 PM

They're resetting at the end of beta, but you get your preorder ships and money. Also, the experience handling the ships is important.

1) you turn better the faster you're going.
2) Don't let yourself get between two or more red guys, even in a battleship.
3) don't sail straight at people, you're really, really easy to hit and at that angle practically every square inch they can hit is a potential critical.
4) Always shoot at people sailing straight at you, they're really, really easy to hit and at that angle practically every square inch you can hit is a potential critical.
5)Set people on fire with HE, and when the fire goes out quickly they probably hit their damage control cooldown. Then launch torpedoes at them. And shoot them more.
6)The AI seems to be not a lot worse than the random teams. Play co-op until your ship id fully upgraded at the very least.

Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 18, 2015, 10:52:17 PM

A (newbie) tip for anyone doing low tier levelling (and so quickly changing from one ship to another): the white circle around you on the minimap is the max range of your currently chosen weapon (especially useful when using torpedoes and you just can't remember what was the max range on the particular model).  awesome, for real

Also: When you are zoomed in and you hit the alt key (extra info) it will show the relative distance your aiming reticle is at and (very useful imo) the travel time of your shots to that point.

Loving this game as well btw, the attention to detail is just awesome. Not just the eye-candy, but the little sounds every ship makes, or the 'sploosh' you hear if you shoot down a plane close to you; lovely.
I'm around tier 5-7 now and I have to say the Japanese ships just feel so much better at these tiers. Their battleships seem to have about 5k extra distance and the american cruisers suddenly lose their torpedoes :(
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 19, 2015, 01:22:21 AM

If you like fast game-play Destroyers and Cruisers are probably right for you.

Keep changing course and direction if detected. As you will soon notice a ship on a course parallel to you and going in a straight line is the easiest target to hit. If you are coming at an angle your opponent has to compensate for both X and Y lead. You are also presenting a smaller target this way. It's often not that easy to judge through binoculars if a ship is moving slightly away from / towards you, so this introduces another difficulty for the enemy captain. To that add zick zacking. The best shot wont hit if you changed course while it was mid air.

Especially in battleship duels the next step is anticipating when your opponent next salvo is ready and timing the turn for it.

Don't use full broadsides. BBs have ~30 seconds reload time, if you waste a full salvo you are sitting duck for the next half minute. Start of with a ranging shot, based on your best guess, after you see where it lands correct the aim and fire the other batteries. Or just a single one again, depending how sure you are of the solution.

Same is true for DD and CAs. Tier IV CA Phoenix has 6 turrets with a 10 s reload. With upgrades that's about one shot every 1.5 seconds. Fire one turret after another and lead yourself into the target, using the shells like a tracer. A bit like baddies shoot in action films. Much easier than firing 6 turrets, missing and having to wait 10 seconds again for another guess.

Progress will be wiped with the open beta, as CBT has highly increased XP and credit income. Best guess so far for open beta release is around September or maybe a bit earlier in August for Gamescom in Köln.

This also means it's a risk-less to buy a premium ship. They will be re-set as well and the tokens refunded to you. Try one and if you find you don't like it just don't buy it again in open beta.

Until you get a feel for where you want to be when it's best to stick with the crowd. Much easier to learn targeting and situation awareness if you are not being shot at.

Since the 0.3.1 patch HE is clearly OP (in pure damage and especially the fires, those fucking fires...). Use it in every situation, except as BB vs other BBs or CAs.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 01:49:09 AM by calapine »

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 19, 2015, 01:55:55 AM

Also: When you are zoomed in and you hit the alt key (extra info) it will show the relative distance your aiming reticle is at and (very useful imo) the travel time of your shots to that point.

Loving this game as well btw, the attention to detail is just awesome. Not just the eye-candy, but the little sounds every ship makes, or the 'sploosh' you hear if you shoot down a plane close to you; lovely.
I'm around tier 5-7 now and I have to say the Japanese ships just feel so much better at these tiers. Their battleships seem to have about 5k extra distance and the american cruisers suddenly lose their torpedoes :(

Re alt key: There is a trick to permantly toggle it on for the rest of the match.

1) Press and hold ALT key.
2) Press NUM ENTER.
3) Release ALT.
4) Press NUM ENTER again to turn off the chat focus.

Additionally, if you only care about the distance and not the flight-time in seconds information, there are "Over the target marker" mods to provide those. The mod compilation I lined up thread has some.

Re Cruisers: I prefer Japanese cruisers as well, but wouldn't agree that they are strictly better. American cruisers generally outgun them and are better armoured. Torpedos are great, but a bit tricky to use. So for a player that just likes to shoot guns but finds battleship too slow paced American cruisers are a good choice.

Mortriden
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 19, 2015, 07:55:20 AM

Patch 3.1 further differentiated the nations as well.  American Cruisers are now fully in the gunship/AA defense role.  Bigger caliber AA has had it's effectiveness increased (anecdotal from the perspective of a carrier driver); which is where American cruisers start to shine around Tier 7.  Furthermore, American Carriers are now much more focused in the Air Superiority Role.  Tiers 5-7 are no longer able to carry more than one squadron of torpedo bombers.  This was a bit of a shock to me after being so dangerous to enemy ships in the previous patch.  Now, the "attack" role is firmly in the Japanese Carrier doctrine. Once they add the ability to change up the type of bombs Dive Bomber squadrons carry, this might change. 

I always feel that my Japanese Cruisers are "generalists".  I'm more likely to use their torpedoes as area denial weapons, then kill shots.  That being said, I'm only to Tier 5 with them. 

Newbie tips: I recommend you turn off the "collision avoidance system" in the settings.  I've also found that in Battleships and larger Cruisers you are not super likely to avoid ALL the shots fired at you by maneuvering, you will avoid some of them; and often times reduce the ones that due hit down to glancing or weaker damage hits. 

It's like calling shenanigans.  But you say "jihad" instead. - Llava
They are out there, but they are bi-products of funny families. If you know funny old people, see if they have daughters. -Paelos
Yes my seed is that strong. I literally clap my hands and women are with child. -Paelos
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #32 on: May 20, 2015, 10:09:22 PM

What's the point of a low tier Premium ship like the Tier II Albany? Would you actually ever use such a weak ship in a serious battle? This is my first Wargaming.net game so I'm still learning about all the systems.

disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 20, 2015, 11:49:05 PM

What's the point of a low tier Premium ship like the Tier II Albany? Would you actually ever use such a weak ship in a serious battle? This is my first Wargaming.net game so I'm still learning about all the systems.

In WoT its just tease Your collector soul - You will earn more on normal tier 5 toon.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: May 21, 2015, 04:52:31 AM

In WoT its just tease Your collector soul - You will earn more on normal tier 5 toon.

About the only serious use for one of the lower tier premiums is to have it around in case you need to group with somebody new to the game. You can always just buy a low tier tech tree ship for the same thing (provided you have an open slot) but premiums let you assign any captain without retraining so you can continue to level up a captain while hand holding the new person. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: World of Warships  
Jump to: