Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:10:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Legends of Tomorrow 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Legends of Tomorrow  (Read 44431 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #70 on: January 23, 2016, 08:54:30 PM

I liked it. I think a lot of the valid problems you all had with it was because they were trying to squeeze so much into only a one hour show - it really could have used some breathing room. But we not only had to re-introduce 8 characters who you actually may NOT be familiar with if you haven't watched the other shows, but also introduce 2 new characters (Rip and his computer), set up the villain and the rules for time travel and the time council, all in about 42 minutes. That's a lot, which is why the obligatory fight scene with Chronos was so abbreviated. I think as they take their time with each episode that part of it should get better. I did like the interactions of the cast and yes, the Prison Break guys were definitely the standouts.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: January 24, 2016, 05:07:14 AM

Computer isn't a new character awesome, for real

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: January 24, 2016, 10:08:44 AM

Yeah I'm curious if Thawne will bump into them at some time and what will happen then.

Edit: I'm also curious what era the Time Masters are from because
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 10:11:53 AM by NowhereMan »

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: January 24, 2016, 10:22:07 AM

Lots of possibilities there. They can be like the Time Lords, complacent. Or perhaps more fun, what if Vandal Savage *is* a Time Master and Rip Hunter doesn't know it? (Or some other reason why they're corrupt/untrustworthy). And there's always ye olde "you were meant to do this but we couldn't tell you so we had to pretend you weren't meant to do it" so beloved in time travel stories.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: January 24, 2016, 01:13:14 PM

If they are in face from an even more distant future than Savage it would be kind of interesting if, for them, this was pretty much a go back in time to kill Hitler move from Rip. I'd be curious to see if they actually went into throwing some moral doubt into his whole mission. Of course it's a DC TV show so that's not going to happen.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #75 on: January 28, 2016, 06:03:58 PM

I thought the pacing of episode 2 was better, felt like they tried to cram less in

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: January 28, 2016, 06:10:18 PM

Yeah, 2nd half of the pilot was a bit better.  Plus the fight scenes were fun here.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: January 28, 2016, 10:29:34 PM

Above watchable level, but also worst of the 4 Berlanti DC shows as well.... so far. The time travel rules are ... bad, but I'm not going to let that bother me too much.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: January 28, 2016, 11:02:52 PM

Above watchable level, but also worst of the 4 Berlanti DC shows as well.... so far. The time travel rules are ... bad, but I'm not going to let that bother me too much.

If your counting Supergirl... err yeah Legends is soo much better.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: January 28, 2016, 11:40:57 PM

[If your counting Supergirl... err yeah Legends is soo much better.
It isn't just by my counting... but we can disagree. Flash is the best right now in my book, Arrow has lost a step over the seasons, Supergirl has flaws, but they've nailed a few things ... Legends just has too many characters that disappoint. White Canary is the most disappointing to me. She nailed Black Canary when she was introduced ed on Arrow, but this Canary seems... bored? She fit much better on Arrow.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: January 29, 2016, 03:21:52 AM

[If your counting Supergirl... err yeah Legends is soo much better.
It isn't just by my counting... but we can disagree. Flash is the best right now in my book, Arrow has lost a step over the seasons, Supergirl has flaws, but they've nailed a few things ... Legends just has too many characters that disappoint. White Canary is the most disappointing to me. She nailed Black Canary when she was introduced ed on Arrow, but this Canary seems... bored? She fit much better on Arrow.

Found the one guy on the internet that seems to dislike sara.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: January 29, 2016, 04:16:45 AM

I'm more Team Arrow than Flash, but there both pretty good with flaws you can give a pass. Pilot 1 and 2 for Legends isn't exactly night and day but it is a noticeable improvement. They kinda found what to do with each character and sending them off to interact in teams work wonders. Palmer being hopelessly useless is funny is a sad yet earnest in a way. The brothers have dialed down the ham and are sounding more natural, the walking fusion reactor twins from another mother are pretty good (but cheesy) foils for each other. Genre savvy Vandal Savage was fun to see, you get the menace and the hate.

Did anyone but me wonder how all these explosions and fireworks doesn't leave a trail of mangled bodies? How are they not changing the past to non hilarious affect at this point?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 02:24:28 AM by MediumHigh »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: January 29, 2016, 07:35:00 PM

I enjoy your talents for simultaneous incoherence and contradiction of the general consensus. Is there a website you use to figure out how to do that, or is it just instinct?
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: January 29, 2016, 10:47:25 PM

I enjoy your talents for simultaneous incoherence and contradiction of the general consensus. Is there a website you use to figure out how to do that, or is it just instinct?

Hmm don't you still watch Gotham and Supergirl?
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: January 30, 2016, 12:28:38 AM

While Part 1 felt kinda disjointed, Part 2 hit almost all the right notes for me. Heatwave and Cold were so freaking fun to watch, Palmer was more balanced between doofus and awesome science guy, lol stoned superheroes too.  Huh.

And god yes, the action scenes were amazing to watch.

Arrow worked best for me in the first season, when it was all character driven, and they seemed to toss random characters in the same room together to see how they'd react to each other, and the plot always advanced and got more interesting. I still like Arrow for what it is, but I just really liked the first season from a storytelling perspective. It looks like LoT is going that route, at least for now.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: January 30, 2016, 04:43:03 AM

Don't watch Gotham, because it's really quite bad. Supergirl is decent, though.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #86 on: January 30, 2016, 07:45:41 AM

I watch Gotham now and then.  I really like the setting, the Penguin, Riddler and Sean Pertwee.  I don't like ANY of the main characters... maybe Donal a little... and the writing is shitey shite shite.  It seems awkward at best.  Still, my sister loves it and as it comes on right after dinner, I see it.  It grew on me.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: January 30, 2016, 10:21:34 AM

...Found the one guy on the internet that seems to dislike sara.
This version is a disappointment compared to what we saw on Arrow.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: January 30, 2016, 11:59:48 AM

...Found the one guy on the internet that seems to dislike sara.
This version is a disappointment compared to what we saw on Arrow.

She's suppose to be a broken character. She went from shallow valley girl to deadly assassin to regretting her entire life save for the Oliver parts to being dead. Than resurrected as a rage monster with her older sister replacing her and no one caring shes dead in the first place. She's suppose to come off as a bit tired bordering too broken to function.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #89 on: January 31, 2016, 02:49:53 PM

The second episode was a lot better than the first, though they still need to work on the cheesy dialogue.

The fight scenes were better but they are still falling for the same problem that I have with Arrow's fight scenes this season. There are so many characters to follow in every fight scene that the fights don't seem particularly well choreographed. It just seems like random chaos without any real sense in both shows. Focusing on smaller fights with 3/4 characters works better like when Savage fought the Hawks. That's probably one of the reasons Flash works so well - it's usually only 1-3 people in the fight.

As for Gotham, I like it but you have to completely and utterly divorce your feelings of the Batman mythos from the show itself. It is entirely it's own weird little pocket universe of campy crazy. Nothing makes sense and you either just go with it or go home.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: February 05, 2016, 06:41:02 AM

I want to like this but the plot is just so... ACK!
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: February 06, 2016, 07:26:42 PM

After tonight's episode, I have a feeling

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #92 on: February 06, 2016, 10:11:26 PM

After tonight's episode, I have a feeling

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: February 07, 2016, 11:39:11 AM

You know all those laser blasts? they aren't real either, they do it on computers!  awesome, for real

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: February 07, 2016, 12:02:19 PM

Who cares where they get the clothing geez.. I thought Caity Lotz was totally rocking those 70's outfits.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: February 07, 2016, 12:09:25 PM

I like the show. But they need a better excuse for why they simple didn't get the unconscious/dead savage on their ship. hand hawkgirl the dagger, and just stab him in the chest. I mean he doesn't have super strength or anything, they really could have tied him up and dragged him on board the jumper and just kept killing him till hawkgirl had her turn.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #96 on: February 07, 2016, 12:28:01 PM

I like the show. But they need a better excuse for why they simple didn't get the unconscious/dead savage on their ship. hand hawkgirl the dagger, and just stab him in the chest. I mean he doesn't have super strength or anything, they really could have tied him up and dragged him on board the jumper and just kept killing him till hawkgirl had her turn.

Ya, it's really lazy writing.  There's 100 ways that he could've gotten away and it would've been fine/same outcome.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: February 15, 2016, 07:14:02 AM

I stopped watching, I tried to like the show, but I've come to the conclusion that shows about time travel just don't work.  Shows that have time travel as a device to get people into interesting situations are fine, but as soon as time travel becomes the main plot they end up getting lost in a sea of contradictions and paradoxes as they try to create a story that doesn't violate their own arbitrary and poorly thought out rules about time. 
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: February 15, 2016, 02:56:37 PM

We are the people for whom this show is being made and so far we kind of hate it. The kind of hate where you really look for reasons to like it.

It's a mess. Look, leave aside the fucking unworkable time-travel metaplot, it isn't even a good team show so far. They built it from spare parts but rather than a very tasty sausage made from seemingly incompatible bits, it's more like vomit. There are 'pods' inside the cast who are fun when they interact (Heat Wave, Captain Cold, White Canary; Atom and Martin Stein) but the whole group doesn't have any of the classic team-making ideas backing it. There is almost no idea about who these guys are, what they do, what their relationships are.

One huge, huge, huge problem is Rip Hunter. He's at the center of it for plot reasons and as a character he is an unknowable douchebag with minimal useful powers of his own. I love the actor playing him and the hilarity of his casting but...the character sucks. Sucks. Sucks.

Another huge, huge, huge problem: the guy playing Vandal Savage sucks as an actor. At least they killed Hawkman right off the bat, since that actor was fucking awful, like explosively so. But I almost wish they'd just kill Vandal Savage and then get sucked into some kind of hilarious "we have to travel back slowly through the temporal chaos" thing or some such.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: February 15, 2016, 06:14:15 PM

At this point I'd prefer they kill it at the end of Season and give us a different show... Animal Man?

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: February 15, 2016, 07:06:35 PM

It's a terrible mess in a lot of ways but god damn if I don't tune in every week just for capt. cold/heatwave

Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: February 16, 2016, 05:14:26 AM

I'm also done with it. The reasons to watch it (White Canary, Captain Cold, Heatwave -- to a lesser extent) just aren't enough to make up for how bad the rest of the show is. Not even close, really. I always have issues with time travel based shows (only exception I can think of is Continuum), but I had hoped the Arrow/Flash background would be enough to make it worthwhile, or that they'd manage to pull it off. They haven't. The time travel aspect is horribly done (even by the low standards of Hollywood), most of the cast is either tedious or out-right bad and the writing is incredibly un-even, going from decent to cringe-inducing stupidity.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: February 16, 2016, 07:05:10 AM

I deleted the last episode without watching it and terminated the automatic recording schedule for it. I just couldn't muster up the willpower to spend an hour on it.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: February 16, 2016, 06:52:35 PM

That drop dead gorgeous girl from Mr Robot makes anything watchable.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #104 on: February 17, 2016, 08:10:23 PM

I still like this show but it really suffers from uneven writing. Capt. Cold and Heatwave are great, Atom and White Canary are good, and the rest go from decent to mildly irritating to outright stupid at the drop of a hat. The action is all too often completely unfocused and chaotic. The character interactions are really the best parts, and the overall arching meta plot involving Time Council and Rick Hunter are the weakest. I don't think any of the actors themselves are bad but I think they are often given bad dialog that anyone would suffer to get through. Hunter's dialogue is usually the worst of the bunch mainly because he's being made out to be an idiotic douchebag rather than a grieving father and husband.

But I'll keep watching it because it's superheroes and I like superheroes.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Legends of Tomorrow  
Jump to: