Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:06:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Suicide Squad 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Suicide Squad  (Read 82498 times)
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: July 14, 2015, 06:33:23 AM

Quick reminder: this is not a trailer. This is a showreel, intended for a small audience, that WB has decided to make public because of the shitty phone-cam uploads. It shouldn't be judged as being anything close to the final film, nor as a commercial vehicle for the final film. It's some footage cobbled together to get a crowd at SDCC going. Judge it for what it is all you like, though.

It could still be awful, it could still be good; I still think this will be better than Superman vs Batman (which looks way more Sucker Punch than Suicide Squad does, imo) but my expectations for both are about as low as they can be. I've never seen anything by David Ayer so he's a complete unknown to me. I don't like a lot of things about the basic design choices of the characters but I guess they're going for a different aesthetic than I'm used to. But I'm genuinely more interested after seeing the showreel than I was before, to a given degree. I hope I get pleasantly surprised, since no one wins when a movie turns out shitty.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 06:53:37 AM by Mattemeo »

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: July 14, 2015, 07:30:32 AM

Quick reminder: this is not a trailer. This is a showreel, intended for a small audience, that WB has decided to make public because of the shitty phone-cam uploads. It shouldn't be judged as being anything close to the final film, nor as a commercial vehicle for the final film.

Let's be honest, how many times does it happen that these previews aren't incredibly indicative of the full movie?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: July 14, 2015, 07:37:13 AM

I particularly like the disclaimer that went with it:

"Warner Bros. Pictures and our anti-piracy team have worked tirelessly over the last 48 hours to contain the Suicide Squad footage that was pirated from Hall H on Saturday. We have been unable to achieve that goal. Today we will release the same footage that has been illegally circulating on the web, in the form it was created and high quality with which it was intended to be enjoyed. We regret this decision as it was our intention to keep the footage as a unique experience for the Comic Con crowd, but we cannot continue to allow the film to be represented by the poor quality of the pirated footage stolen from our presentation."
- Sue Kroll, President Worldwide Marketing and International Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures

Because someone, somewhere honestly thought that a comic-con trailer wouldn't get leaked.

swamp poop

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #143 on: July 14, 2015, 07:47:19 AM

Warner Bros: Completely Out of Touch with the Digital Age! is their new slogan.

"Me am play gods"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #144 on: July 14, 2015, 09:27:55 AM

I do not fucking understand this attitude. We have the Internet now. Even if you don't want it out there, any footage shown to any group of people will get filmed and leaked within hours unless you confiscate everyone's cell phones and verify the confiscation with a goddamn body search. So go ahead and show the footage at the Con, then immediately after it's over, release it on the Internet to much fanfare or ridicule. If it isn't ready for public consumption, don't show it to the fucking public, even a specially-vetted group of said public. There's just no reason not to take advantage of Internet hype.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: July 14, 2015, 09:46:59 AM

I liked this trailer better than the Batman vs Superman one. I was actually pleasantly surprised by the Joker and Harley. I'm still not sold on Will Smith as uhh...deadshot? I never can remember his actual name. Anyway, I never read many DC comics so don't have a huge attachment to these properties and that probably helps. In fact, the only thing in this trailer that made me cringe was Will Smith's lines. It just was....Will Smith in pretty much every action movie he's done ever. There was nothing special about it. The rest I kind of dug to be honest.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: July 14, 2015, 10:26:57 AM

Will Smith is Deadshot. Pretty much looks like he does not have a lot in common with the Floyd Lawton version in the comics, and that's not just a comment on race. But we'll see.

I recognized Killer Croc easily enough. I sort of recognized Captain Boomerang later. There's another guy where I had no idea at all who he was while watching. Slipknot or El Diablo, I guess. Not like either of those guys really has a highly iconic look or presence, Slipknot was cannon fodder in the comic too. Katana also I recognized right away.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: July 14, 2015, 10:35:13 AM

I do not fucking understand this attitude. We have the Internet now. Even if you don't want it out there, any footage shown to any group of people will get filmed and leaked within hours unless you confiscate everyone's cell phones and verify the confiscation with a goddamn body search. So go ahead and show the footage at the Con, then immediately after it's over, release it on the Internet to much fanfare or ridicule. If it isn't ready for public consumption, don't show it to the fucking public, even a specially-vetted group of said public. There's just no reason not to take advantage of Internet hype.

Pretty much this. Although I argued that the showreel should be scrutinized as a showreel and not a trailer, I still think it's clown-shoes to assume anything shown at something like SDCC (or E3 or any number of industry cons) won't make it onto the internet within minutes of being shown. If they hadn't been so po-faced about 'oh woe is us the evil cam-pirates have sullied the sanctity of our presentation', WB actually did the right thing with the footage by putting it out there. Unlike Fox who now seem to be scrambling to get their house in order over the Deadpool footage leak - 3 weeks before they're ready to make it public? Yeah, ok, Fox. That's not worrying shades of Wolverine: Origins all over again, no sir.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: July 14, 2015, 10:37:30 AM

I have always assumed that this is pretence--e.g., "oh, that was an exclusive, it wasn't ready for viewing" so that you have plausible deniability if the reaction is negative. "It's not ready really! We didn't mean it for full release!"
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: July 14, 2015, 10:41:59 AM

It's a half-truth that holds about as much water as a sieve. If you don't want people viewing something because it's not ready, don't put it out into the public. At all. Unfortunately, we live in the hype-age.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #150 on: July 15, 2015, 08:18:39 PM

I enjoy Joker and Harley's over self-referential tattoos. I'm sure he has "KILLER JOKE MAN", "I AM THE JOKER", "I DO NOT LIKE BATMAN" tattooed elsewhere.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #151 on: July 16, 2015, 08:38:37 AM

I enjoy Joker and Harley's over self-referential tattoos. I'm sure he has "I DO NOT LIKE BATMAN" tattooed elsewhere.

That's his tramp stamp.  why so serious?

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #152 on: July 16, 2015, 09:50:44 AM

Do tramp stamps for men go in the same place? The world wants to know.

I have never played WoW.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: July 16, 2015, 10:21:01 AM

I'm pretty sure the Joker loves Batman and his tramp stamp would be something to that effect.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: July 16, 2015, 10:24:12 AM

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: July 16, 2015, 12:49:50 PM

I've never heard of Suicide Squad. I do enjoy neckbeards crying about it though.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #156 on: July 16, 2015, 01:37:00 PM

DC Comics meets the Dirty Dozen. All you need to know.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #157 on: July 16, 2015, 02:12:09 PM

Something off about it all. Ensemble cast of characters who I have no idea who they are except two don't seem anything like characters as I know them. Maybe if these guys were in previous movies, I might give a shit. And that it's "this is so edgy" style is grating because they didn't show anything edgy. SvB looks like it could be at least a hot mess. This looks like a boring kludge.

"Me am play gods"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #158 on: July 16, 2015, 02:14:32 PM

It's funny, I liked Suicide Squad the comics, but really the whole thing kind of falls apart if you don't know who the villains are or what they've done. Just throwing random super villains together without establishing any baseline history for them seems stupid at best. This is like a phase 2 level movie, and DC is still in Phase 0.9.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #159 on: July 16, 2015, 03:03:06 PM

It's funny, I liked Suicide Squad the comics, but really the whole thing kind of falls apart if you don't know who the villains are or what they've done. Just throwing random super villains together without establishing any baseline history for them seems stupid at best. This is like a phase 2 level movie, and DC is still in Phase 0.9.

Exactly which is why they are going to push the batman/joker angle. If you don't know the bit players already from the comics, then you probably won't give a shit about this movie aside from those 2. I don't know any of the players in this and have zero interest in this other than a mild curiosity in Leto's joker (which looks like a fucking mess, but that is part of my curiosity).

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: July 16, 2015, 03:19:05 PM

I still don't know what would possess them to do this movie early in the release schedule.  You need to establish the majority of the villains and then do Suicide Squad... not introduce them in the squad.
HaemishM and jgsugden in agreement?  3rd sign of the Apocalypse.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #161 on: July 16, 2015, 03:32:06 PM

I liked the old Suicide Squad and the old Harley. I haven't glanced through a DC book ince the New 52 thing. Their whole universe seems to be every bit as convoluted a mess as it was before, it's just full of people with names I know but the people with them are no one I know or care about. THis version of Harley might be dead on for her new iteration, but to me it just looks like a half ass combination of Hannibal Lector and Natural Born Killers. There's nothing there to like.

When they rebooted they should have just went with whatever the DCAU had going on, that stuff is entertaining, comparatively well known, as near as I can tell has a pretty tight continuity. It's a shame that the best DC movies have all been animated ones.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: July 16, 2015, 03:43:51 PM

Well they are sort of rebooting DC again with this whole Convergence thing I believe.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: July 16, 2015, 04:53:40 PM

I don't even know who half these characters are, and frankly I can't recognize ANY of them from their appearance in this movie except Joker. Killer Croc looks like a zombie wearing a hoodie.

Isn't the point of SS that they are C-tier guys who die frequently? And also that it's fun to take C-tier guys who have appeared in other comics and put them in their own book?

Maybe DC is hoping this will be like Guardians, except this cast is twice as large and the costuming and such makes them look samey.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: July 16, 2015, 05:00:36 PM

Looks better than the justice league or deadpool movies, not like that's a high bar though.  Any movie with Margot Robbie doing air gymnastics is a must watch though.

I am the .00000001428%
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: July 16, 2015, 06:28:14 PM

Deadpool was the best thing to come out of Comic-Con.  Followed by X-Men AoA.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #166 on: July 17, 2015, 12:30:22 PM

HaemishM and jgsugden in agreement?  3rd sign of the Apocalypse.

Broke clock tells time twice a day.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: January 19, 2016, 07:59:24 PM

New trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmRih_VtVAs

I'm starting to warm up to this. It kind of looks like they might be having more fun than over at the grimdark stuff about "heroes" in the Justice League end of things.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: January 19, 2016, 08:12:15 PM

This still... looks terrible.

beer geek.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: January 19, 2016, 08:46:59 PM

I liked the trailer better.. but the music, I don't think it fit.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #170 on: January 19, 2016, 11:01:09 PM

Take away the baggage of the Suicide Squad name and being part of DC's movie Universe, and this looks like a perfectly entertaining movie.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #171 on: January 19, 2016, 11:25:34 PM

None of the characters in that trailer are interesting or have any personality other than Harley. They should've just made a Harley Quinn movie.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: January 19, 2016, 11:32:54 PM

It looks fine, visually, but the visuals and set pieces have never been the problem with any Snyder led movies.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: January 20, 2016, 02:00:48 AM

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #174 on: January 20, 2016, 03:23:10 AM

It's funny to see the total opposite reaction to things here sometimes. Makes me realize how much older we are than popular culture. 

Reaction has been positive elsewhere and hype is building.  While I think most of the positive feeling is from the song and the way the clips were montaged and choreographed so well, I can see the appeal to younger crowds.

It seems like people are calling this DCs Guardians and I'm sure that's what they're going for. If nothing else it's being marketed a hell of a lot better than batman vs superman at this point.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Suicide Squad  
Jump to: