Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:23:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2015 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MLB 2015  (Read 48653 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #105 on: October 08, 2015, 09:55:08 AM

That's not what happens in baseball. Teams for the most part don't tank to hoard up draft picks; they trade for prospects who have already been drafted.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: October 08, 2015, 11:22:50 PM

I also don't think the Cubs were purposefully tanking anything, they were just awful.  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #107 on: October 09, 2015, 08:56:29 AM

I also don't think the Cubs were purposefully tanking anything, they were just awful.  why so serious?

That.

The closest most teams can get to "tanking" is by fielding nothing but youngsters from the minors (like the Marlins did a few times in their history, usually right after a World Series win) or signing a bunch of middling vets to fill out positions that they don't have minor leaguers for. Most teams don't "tank" at anything below the general manager level. The guys on the field are usually trying to win, they just may lack all ability to do so.

WayAbvPar

Reply #108 on: October 09, 2015, 09:05:00 AM

Sounds like McLendon is out in Seattle. Can't say I am not happy about that. His handling of the bullpen and his seeming indifference to the appalling baserunning mistakes that pervaded the entire season are reason enough to dump him.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #109 on: October 09, 2015, 11:04:47 AM

That.

The closest most teams can get to "tanking" is by fielding nothing but youngsters from the minors (like the Marlins did a few times in their history, usually right after a World Series win) or signing a bunch of middling vets to fill out positions that they don't have minor leaguers for. Most teams don't "tank" at anything below the general manager level. The guys on the field are usually trying to win, they just may lack all ability to do so.

The Braves tanked this year. Traded away the team for magic beans at the All-Star break.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #110 on: October 09, 2015, 11:30:25 AM

Again, that's the GM - not the players. That's about as close to tanking as you are going to see in professional sports. And I don't consider that tanking so much as "rebuilding" or "restructuring." It's like bankruptcy for sports teams.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: October 10, 2015, 08:39:14 PM

You do see actual tanking in the NBA.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #112 on: October 10, 2015, 09:20:18 PM

Yeah but the NBA blows.  why so serious?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #113 on: October 13, 2015, 05:43:37 PM

CUBS WIN! CUBS WIN!

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: October 13, 2015, 08:05:32 PM

And just as importantly cardinals lose!  Is there room on that bandwagon?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #115 on: October 13, 2015, 08:09:53 PM

Plenty!

I'm also rooting for the Mets because I think the Cubs have a better chance against them than against the 2-headed hydra of Kershaw and Greinke.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: October 13, 2015, 11:24:29 PM

We're really close to a final four consisting of all the blue teams I was disappointed to see when I opened a pack of baseball cards at age 8.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: October 14, 2015, 05:36:56 PM

JAYS WIN!  JAYS WIN!

Wow, what a game. Yahoo!  We're edging closer and closer to Back to the Future 2.  I, of course, would want the Jays to win if they played the Cubs but I'd be OK if they didn't.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #118 on: October 14, 2015, 06:39:29 PM

Craziest inning of Baseball I've ever watched. (7th Jays/Rangers). Took about 50 minutes to play.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: October 14, 2015, 06:41:10 PM

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #120 on: October 14, 2015, 07:25:48 PM

Such disrespect.  why so serious?

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: October 14, 2015, 07:27:52 PM

Where's Brian McCann when you need him? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: October 15, 2015, 04:03:58 AM

"That's what I THOUGHT!"

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: October 15, 2015, 05:04:20 AM

Where's Brian McCann when you need him? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

On the golf course, WHERE HE BELONGS.  awesome, for real

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: October 15, 2015, 08:49:34 AM

I can watch that over and over.

awesome, for real
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: October 16, 2015, 06:11:56 AM

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #126 on: October 22, 2015, 03:10:37 AM

So much for the Cubs...  Ohhhhh, I see.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #127 on: October 22, 2015, 05:59:18 AM

So much for the Cubs...  Ohhhhh, I see.

But it was their density.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #128 on: October 22, 2015, 07:20:10 AM

We are after all... the fucking Cubs.

I tried to watch all 4 games but after we got down 4-0 in the first fucking inning, I just couldn't do it. You have to give the Cubs credit - they know how to consistently break their fans hearts.

They looked goddamn awful in the series. The Mets outplayed them in every fucking way. The one area I was really concerned about (bullpen) didn't do that bad. Starting pitching was mediocre at best while the Mets' starting pitching was fucking lights out. The Cubs offense just didn't bother to show up at all. Kris Bryant looked like he should have been swinging a fucking tennis racket for as many bad pitches as he went after and I still don't think he'd have hit the ball. Our 3-4-5 hitters all hit less than .250. I know through at least game 4, we did not get ONE SINGLE LEADOFF HITTER on base in any inning. NONE. We started every single fucking game down by at least 1 run. And instead of being able to feast on a shaky middle inning bullpen of the Mets, the Cubs just got sawed off by that starting pitching. And our defense was weak especially in the last two games.

The future is bright, obviously. The team has a really good corp of young hitters. It just needs some good young pitchers to go with it. IMO, we WAY OVERPAID for Jon Lester based on the fact that he won a World Series. He was nothing more than serviceable in the big games (i.e. he was good when he needed to be great). Arrieta came crashing to earth after that wild card play-in game performance and I really think Maddon made a mistake taking him the distance in that game. He didn't look the same in the 2 starts after that.

But hey, at least I had a reason to care about baseball past May 1st! It's been a long time since I could say that.

GO ROYALS (or Blue Jays if they manage to come back and win that series)! What I'm really saying is FUCK THE METS.

Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: October 22, 2015, 08:52:29 AM

What I'm really saying is FUCK THE METS.

Gold Jerry!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: October 23, 2015, 09:25:52 PM

Man, only one who could land a clutch hit was Bautista. Donaldson does sfa
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: October 24, 2015, 02:32:27 PM

Yea I was saying the other night I hope we are paying him lots of money, since he always seems to hit the ball when it counts.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: October 24, 2015, 03:48:43 PM

Annoying to see whining about the umps, the bottom line was 0 for 12 RISP.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #133 on: October 24, 2015, 07:55:56 PM

The umps were just as inconsistent with their strike zones in the Cubs/Mets series. I was real disappointed in the umping, but that's not why the Cubs or the Jays lost.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #134 on: October 28, 2015, 07:23:13 AM

Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: November 02, 2015, 06:48:04 AM

And the Royals win the WS and no one cared...  why so serious?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #136 on: November 02, 2015, 06:50:34 AM

I cared. Not enough to watch, since my Packers were getting their shit pushed in by Denver, but I'm glad they beat the Mets. Fuck the Mets.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #137 on: November 02, 2015, 07:37:33 AM

I cared, too.  Nice to see Volquez pitch well in this one, considering the circumstances of his last start.  Shame he didn't get the W.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #138 on: November 02, 2015, 11:11:54 AM

People need to just give up on the idea that MLB is a national appeal sport. It's not. There's too many games for it to be a national appeal sport. Football does well because one game decides the playoffs. Not 7. Series don't do well on TV numbers because fans thinks meh I'll watch later on, and they don't.

If your team is in the MLB playoffs, you care. If you're a casual fan, the chances you watch are next to nil. I watched one game all series, and that was with a group.

Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: November 02, 2015, 01:14:15 PM

People need to just give up on the idea that MLB is a national appeal sport. It's not. There's too many games for it to be a national appeal sport. Football does well because one game decides the playoffs. Not 7. Series don't do well on TV numbers because fans thinks meh I'll watch later on, and they don't.

If your team is in the MLB playoffs, you care. If you're a casual fan, the chances you watch are next to nil. I watched one game all series, and that was with a group.

True that save for the series part. You need a series format in baseball given the pitching situation - ask any Pirates fan...  why so serious?

If one of the big market teams are not in the playoffs/world series, it is like no one cares. Hell, there are more NFL stories on the front page and for longer than the KC story was this morning. America's pastime is passed its time so to speak. I do still enjoy going to PNC Park for a game a year - nothing like that lazy feeling sitting in the stands watching a game with a $10 hotdog.  awesome, for real

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2015  
Jump to: