Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:52:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2015 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MLB 2015  (Read 48654 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #35 on: June 03, 2015, 06:45:00 AM

Lloyd McClendon finally lost his fucking mind and got ejected. Hopefully that will wake his goddamned club up.

Reminds me that nothing beats telling the ump he's fucking wrong, grabbing first base, and taking it with you to the dugout. McClendon has one of the best ejection moments of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhnoCkp2QUo

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36 on: June 03, 2015, 09:39:47 AM

I have a soft spot in my heart for Lloyd McClendon because of how instrumental he was in getting the Cubs to the playoffs in '89, the first season I really paid attention to baseball since I'd been in elementary school. That was the season that cemented my love for the Cubs. He played like EVERYWHERE that year - infield, outfield, even catching. The only thing he didn't do was pitch.

WayAbvPar

Reply #37 on: June 03, 2015, 09:45:51 AM

Stop using Fernando Rodney as a closer and that'll help.

Last week, I tried to talk my family into going to a baseball game while we were visiting San Francisco and we couldn't make it work.  So instead, I was sitting in a hotel lobbey when Madison Bumgarner hit a home run off Clayton Kershaw.

My buddy happened to be in town working and his client took him to that game! Pretty serendipitous.

And yes, Rodney needs to relegated to mop up duty. In a jerk off booth.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #38 on: June 04, 2015, 10:38:00 AM

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #39 on: June 04, 2015, 11:30:22 AM

He's a national treasure.

Also the Braves blew two games in a row in the pen. It's the worst in the league. We'd literally be leading the division of the pen would stop fucking up. I'm looking at you too Seattle.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #40 on: June 04, 2015, 12:35:13 PM

Hey, it can't be much worse than the Cubs pen, can it?

WayAbvPar

Reply #41 on: June 04, 2015, 12:39:23 PM

He's a national treasure.

Also the Braves blew two games in a row in the pen. It's the worst in the league. We'd literally be leading the division of the pen would stop fucking up. I'm looking at you too Seattle.

Seattle can't hit, and when they manage to push a couple of runs across, the bullpen shits its pants. Same as it ever was.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #42 on: June 04, 2015, 12:46:48 PM

Putting together an effective bullpen is the real GM voodoo magic of modern baseball. It is almost entirely pure fucking luck.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #43 on: June 04, 2015, 01:34:15 PM

Hey, it can't be much worse than the Cubs pen, can it?

It's about a run worse in ERA. So yeah.

Seattle can't hit, and when they manage to push a couple of runs across, the bullpen shits its pants. Same as it ever was.

Yeah I looked up Seattle's hitting. WTF?

WayAbvPar

Reply #44 on: June 04, 2015, 01:43:36 PM

Robby Cano is hitting about 80 points below his career average, and literally everyone else besides Nelson Cruz (who has been AMAZING)  and Kyle Seager has been about the same as Cano. It is a shitshow. Trumbo will hit a few home runs, but he won't help the real problem- they don't get anyone on base. Go see how many of their HRs as a team are solo shots. It is nauseating. They never have base runners, and when they do, they try to steal and get thrown out. So much talent just doing nothing. A lot of people are getting fired in October if this doesn't turn around like right now.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #45 on: June 04, 2015, 05:49:08 PM

That's the exact problem of the Braves last year. Tons of strikeouts, no runners, and the only time they scored was on homers. Complete bang or bust team. Mostly bust.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: June 16, 2015, 11:12:43 AM

Sooo, baseball needed a deflategate and its HEEEERRREEEE! Except its a little more serious than that, if possible...

Breaking: The FBI is investigating the Cardinals for hacking into the Astros’ computer system

Craig Calcaterra

Jun 16, 2015, 11:18 AM EDT
167 Comments

You’ll recall that last year someone hacked into the Astros’ “Ground Control” database, which is the internal communication and evaluation system. Among the stolen data — which was subsequently posted online — were internal discussions about a possible trade for Giancarlo Stanton last year, the leadup to the Bud Norris trade and discussions between the Astros and Yankees in which the Yankees offered Ichiro Suzuki to Houston for cash. Not the sort of stuff a team wants public.

Now, according to an exclusive report in the New York Times, the FBI has a suspect. The Best Suspect in Baseball:

Investigators have uncovered evidence that Cardinals officials broke into a network of the Houston Astros that housed special databases the team had built, according to law enforcement officials . . . The officials did not say which employees were the focus of the investigation or whether the team’s highest-ranking officials were aware of the hacking or authorized it. The investigation is being led by the F.B.I.’s Houston field office and has progressed to the point that subpoenas have been served on the Cardinals and Major League Baseball for electronic correspondence.

The Times reports that the impetus for this was both (a) concern that former Cards executive Jeff Luhnow took proprietary information with him when he left for Houston to become the Astros’ GM; and (b) lingering resentment over Lunhow’s tenure with the Cardinals, where he was reported to have been a polarizing figure. It was not a sophisticated hack, the Times reports. Rather, Cards employees referred to a master password list Luhnow used when with St. Louis, which used a similar computer system.

Teams scout each other. Teams hire former members of other organizations. Intelligence is probably a pretty underreported part of what goes on inside baseball. But hacking someone else’s computer system is illegal and way, way beyond anything we’ve seen in baseball before. Maybe beyond anything we’ve seen in professional sports. As the Times report says, this is nothing short of corporate espionage for which people may be arrested and prosecuted.

If this was some rogue in the lower level of the analytics department it may be one relatively small thing. If this went higher than that and was something people in Cardinals management knew about, it could be one of the biggest scandals baseball has ever seen.

UPDATE: Major League Baseball has issued a statement:

“Major League Baseball has been aware of and has fully cooperated with the federal investigation into the illegal breach of the Astros’ baseball operations database.  Once the investigative process has been completed by federal law enforcement officials, we will evaluate the next steps and will make decisions promptly.”

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/16/breaking-the-fbi-is-investigating-the-cardinals-for-hacking-into-the-astros-computer-system/?cid=Yahoo

Hic sunt dracones.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #47 on: June 16, 2015, 01:42:40 PM

I can't wait to hear what the Best Fans in Baseball have to say about their team, which always Wins the Right Way.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #48 on: June 16, 2015, 02:25:04 PM

Well, let's ask Twitter!

If the Cards did do something still fuck the FBI and Astros we are a honest and fair organization
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: June 16, 2015, 03:52:25 PM

Yeah I have a couple Cards fan friends on Facebook who are already grasping for excuses.

So far my favorite is the one speculating that Luhnow took proprietary stuff with him when he went to the Astros and so they were probably just trying to get it back.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #50 on: June 16, 2015, 04:02:32 PM

I hope somebody goes to jail for that if true.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #51 on: June 16, 2015, 08:27:42 PM

Man, fuck the Cardinals.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #52 on: June 17, 2015, 05:17:48 AM

Like you needed more of an excuse to hate them as a Cubbies fan.  why so serious?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #53 on: June 18, 2015, 09:56:52 AM

Well sure. But still... fuck the Cardinals.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: June 18, 2015, 02:51:21 PM

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: July 30, 2015, 12:00:20 AM

The most surprising thing about the Toronto/Colorado trade for me was that LaTroy Hawkins is still alive and pitching. Head scratch
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #56 on: July 30, 2015, 05:09:57 AM

Braves/Dodgers/Marlins are trying to fuck around with something that would send probably our best pitcher outside of Shelby Miller away.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #57 on: July 30, 2015, 06:01:39 AM

Teheran could always bounce back.  Unless they're trading him, too?
WayAbvPar

Reply #58 on: July 30, 2015, 08:06:44 AM

Really looking forward to the bloodletting that better fucking occur in the Mariners front office come October. The GM is a fucking disaster, and the manager has found a way to use a terrible roster in about the worst way possible. It is like he searches out ways to lose games. Fucking clownshoes all round.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: July 30, 2015, 10:53:43 AM

And the Jays land David Price for a package that includes some of Toronto's best pitching prospects.  Looks like they're going all in this year.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/david-price-all-star-pitcher-acquired-by-blue-jays-1.3174169
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #60 on: July 30, 2015, 11:04:50 AM

I wondered why I had heard they assigned their number five starter to the minors last night.

Guess its the right year to try, its the most mediocre the AL East has looked in years.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #61 on: July 30, 2015, 11:31:29 AM

They've made some pretty big statement trades, so yeah, I'd say they are all in for the playoffs. 7 games back at .500 though is a pretty shitty position to be making such huge trades. Yeah, they are only 2 games off the wild card, but that only guarantees you a one-game playoff. Price being a free agent at the end of the season means you better damn well at least get past that playoff.

I'm kind of annoyed that the Cubs haven't been buyers on ANY of these big trades. I don't think they are one pitcher or one bat away from making a run but their starting pitching is dicey and the back end of their bullpen is suspect. I would have rather they moved Castro for Tulo or a pitcher but only if they think Russell can be a good every day 2B/SS and Javier Baez can stop swinging at everything.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: July 30, 2015, 01:27:11 PM

So the Jays are good this year?

I've been lied to before!

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: July 30, 2015, 01:41:51 PM

Having Price for a 1 game wildcard is helpful.

Also could be getting another bullpen arm maybe in another month if Stroman can make it back from his knee injury.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #64 on: July 30, 2015, 01:42:40 PM

Braves trade away Alex Wood, Jim Johnson, Jose Peraza, and Bronson Arroyo. Oh and Luis Avilan.

We got back basically Hector Olivera, a Cuban phenom supposedly, and a lefty reliever along with a top round compensation pick. I have no idea how the fuck this was balanced, but whatever.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #65 on: July 31, 2015, 08:07:06 AM

Having Price for a 1 game wildcard is helpful.

Also could be getting another bullpen arm maybe in another month if Stroman can make it back from his knee injury.

They are 7 games back of the Yanks right now, but they play them 14 more times, so who knows - they may make it in outright.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: July 31, 2015, 06:24:51 PM

Really looking forward to the bloodletting that better fucking occur in the Mariners front office come October. The GM is a fucking disaster, and the manager has found a way to use a terrible roster in about the worst way possible. It is like he searches out ways to lose games. Fucking clownshoes all round.
McClendon had been wonderful. What are you talking about?
WayAbvPar

Reply #67 on: August 01, 2015, 12:29:22 PM

I disagree. He makes mistakes nearly every game, and his handling of Rodney has been especially terrible. He is not the biggest problem by far, but he could be a lot better.

The entire organization should be embarrassed that the Blue Jays had to tell them that Rodney was tipping pitches. Scouts, coaches, manager, front office- no one bothered to look? And then an amateur baseball writer goes back and looks at publicly available game footage and figures it out in like 2 minutes. People need to lose their jobs for that.

In case you don't know what I am babbling about.

Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: August 07, 2015, 12:01:07 PM

Rodney is on the pitching coaches. His handling of him has otherwise been fine. Playing him commensurate with his performance.
WayAbvPar

Reply #69 on: August 07, 2015, 12:44:59 PM

He has been a fucking disaster the entire season, and still gets used in high leverage situations. That is on Lloyd. He should be pitching long relief and mop up duty until he unfucks himself. He has cost them 6 or 7 wins at least.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2015  
Jump to: