Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:47:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Fear the Walking Dead 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fear the Walking Dead  (Read 35347 times)
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: September 21, 2015, 04:37:20 PM

Guyz...what if Zombies took over the earth but it turned out the real evil threat...

WAS MAN!

Quell surprise!

Almost as cheesy and cliched at this point as one character turning to another and saying "I guess you could say those of us left really are...the Walking Dead" then looking straight into the camera.

It's fine to say that the real enemy is man but without zombies nobody would care about these series, at all.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 04:39:52 PM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: September 22, 2015, 12:41:07 AM

Highlight of episode was watching Johnny Depp's stunt double getting hauled off. Otherwise, really weak episode.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #107 on: September 22, 2015, 07:57:40 AM

I actually thought it was the strongest episode this season. The main characters being in a zombie free safe zone controlled by the military wasn't necessarily a fresh take on the genre but at least it was an interesting one. There's still a bit too much of assuming we know or like these characters without giving us a reason to, but I think the show is on the uptick. The dramatic beats were actually good, especially the scene with Kim Dixon beating the shit out of Teen Lizard King, and the inevitable scene at the end.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: September 22, 2015, 08:21:54 AM

The big problem I have is that we were promised a show about how people dealt with the collapse of society as the zombie apocalypse started, then we get this episode where we fast forward nine days Rick Grimes style past the part I wanted to see.

The other problem is I actively dislike every single character and want them all to die.  If I was supposed to feel bad about Lizard Prince getting dragged away by the 'evil' military, then it backfired because it made me much more sympathetic to the military than the dumbass family.  The daughter is about the only one acting anything like a real person so I can sort of tolerate her.  El Salvador Barber I would like more if he wasn't such an obvious 'The Military Is Bad' mouthpiece.  I'm actively rooting for the death of the rest of that shitty family, which is not exactly a ringing enforcement for a show.

Over and out.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: September 22, 2015, 01:48:10 PM

The big problem I have is that we were promised a show about how people dealt with the collapse of society as the zombie apocalypse started, then we get this episode where we fast forward nine days Rick Grimes style past the part I wanted to see.

The other problem is I actively dislike every single character and want them all to die.  If I was supposed to feel bad about Lizard Prince getting dragged away by the 'evil' military, then it backfired because it made me much more sympathetic to the military than the dumbass family.  The daughter is about the only one acting anything like a real person so I can sort of tolerate her.  El Salvador Barber I would like more if he wasn't such an obvious 'The Military Is Bad' mouthpiece.  I'm actively rooting for the death of the rest of that shitty family, which is not exactly a ringing enforcement for a show.
Both of these.

I am angry that they skipped 9 days after making such a big deal of 'telling the story of the fall'.

I also don't care about anyone on the show right now.  If they all died, I'd be fine with it.  Instead, we'll get a couple "shocking deaths" and then forget everything that took place by the time the next season comes around.

I also am a bit perturbed that the military doesn't seem to be making any sense.  Why did they go out of their way to pop some people living outside the zone while letting the people in the zone continue on?  Are they in on what caused the plague and are trying to further some melodrama agenda?  I see no benefit to going out and killing someone a mile outside the zone...

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #110 on: September 22, 2015, 03:00:23 PM

As for needing magic to explain it: When Kirkman sold the idea to the comics folks, his bible explained that the outbreak was the brainchild of aliens.... that is close to magic.

I... what? Seriously?

Dear God, I really hope they don't ever ever ever show that in the TV series.

If you think that plan was dumb, you should have seen the eight others that didn't make the cut.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #111 on: September 22, 2015, 03:03:26 PM

Guyz...what if Zombies took over the earth but it turned out the real evil threat...

WAS MAN!

Quell surprise!

Almost as cheesy and cliched at this point as one character turning to another and saying "I guess you could say those of us left really are...the Walking Dead" then looking straight into the camera.

It's fine to say that the real enemy is man but without zombies nobody would care about these series, at all.

Still better than the ending of Lost.

"Me am play gods"
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #112 on: September 22, 2015, 07:51:42 PM

And a better love story than Twilight.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #113 on: September 25, 2015, 08:10:25 AM

I sort of like this show.  I do, however, totally agree with the characters making all sorts of bad and stupid decisions.  To the point, at times, that I end up shouting at the TV.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #114 on: September 25, 2015, 08:16:06 AM

Let's not watch a movie together.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: September 28, 2015, 06:15:18 PM

If they weren't go be willing to give the show the budget necessary to show the actual collapse of civilization and a realistic threat to trained soldiers they really shouldn't have bothered.  I didn't sign up for "nine days later" and "stay in the car Carl... err Travis".  Zombies are slow, unintelligent and have no survival instinct or ranged attacks, the only way they are a threat to trained soldiers is because there are MILLIONS of them and they never tire or stop coming. There was no reason for those soldiers to have been up 50 hours straight, those streets were fucking deserted, you could have laid down for a nap anywhere you wanted.  I like Ruben Blades character and the new black guy that got introduced this last episode, but this is not the story i signed up for.

I am the .00000001428%
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: September 28, 2015, 09:32:33 PM

If they weren't go be willing to give the show the budget necessary to show the actual collapse of civilization and a realistic threat to trained soldiers they really shouldn't have bothered.  I didn't sign up for "nine days later" and "stay in the car Carl... err Travis".  Zombies are slow, unintelligent and have no survival instinct or ranged attacks, the only way they are a threat to trained soldiers is because there are MILLIONS of them and they never tire or stop coming. There was no reason for those soldiers to have been up 50 hours straight, those streets were fucking deserted, you could have laid down for a nap anywhere you wanted.  I like Ruben Blades character and the new black guy that got introduced this last episode, but this is not the story i signed up for.

I know this isn't a political thread, but honestly anyone else getting a serious republican "anti government" paranoia vibe out of this one?  The actions of the government and why the soldiers are acting like they are make absolutely no sense to me.  Can't wait to see how they explain this one exactly.

Edit:

It might have been more interesting to have had a perspective from the side of the soldiers in fear instead of the junky, the counselor, and the teacher.  it feels like a missed opportunity.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 09:53:50 PM by MournelitheCalix »

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #117 on: September 29, 2015, 07:31:37 AM

I like Ruben Blades character and the new black guy that got introduced this last episode, but this is not the story i signed up for.

This. I do think the last two episodes have been slightly better than the ones that came before it, but there's so much wrong with the way they've told this story it's not even funny. There's no context for some things that probably should be important (Travis's problem with guns, the two idiot kids smashing the rich people's house - where did that even take place, the military's evacuation after days of martial law). These characters are mostly way too stupid to have survived as long as they have.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: September 29, 2015, 07:32:06 AM

It looks to me like they want the actions of the soldiers to be a mystery. Cobalt was intended to be a surprise, and it is unclear where they're falling back, and who is currently giving orders. We're still deep into the time Rick was unconcious according to the showrunners... so it is supposed to be unclear how much of a government exists.

It isn't really coming through well, but that seems to be the intent.

...and the government actions are intending to show us what it'd be like if the US government treated US citizens like they treat the citizens of the lands where we have military activity going on... I'll let those with actual military experience discuss whether that is realistic.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 08:27:10 AM by jgsugden »

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: September 29, 2015, 07:39:19 AM

If they weren't go be willing to give the show the budget necessary to show the actual collapse of civilization and a realistic threat to trained soldiers they really shouldn't have bothered.  I didn't sign up for "nine days later" and "stay in the car Carl... err Travis".  Zombies are slow, unintelligent and have no survival instinct or ranged attacks, the only way they are a threat to trained soldiers is because there are MILLIONS of them and they never tire or stop coming. There was no reason for those soldiers to have been up 50 hours straight, those streets were fucking deserted, you could have laid down for a nap anywhere you wanted.  I like Ruben Blades character and the new black guy that got introduced this last episode, but this is not the story i signed up for.

I know this isn't a political thread, but honestly anyone else getting a serious republican "anti government" paranoia vibe out of this one?  The actions of the government and why the soldiers are acting like they are make absolutely no sense to me.  Can't wait to see how they explain this one exactly.

I definitely got a Republican vibe out of the whole torture is awesome and totally saves the day part.

I am the .00000001428%
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: September 29, 2015, 08:30:42 AM

I get less of a political vibe out of it and more of a bad, cliched writing vibe.

Over and out.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: September 29, 2015, 08:33:26 AM

Didn't they roundup people, put them in a superdome and leave them to die ?

No politics there.    Ohhhhh, I see.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: September 29, 2015, 08:43:39 AM

That's what the writers told us they did in exposition, but they thought it would be a better idea to just skip over the 9 most interesting days instead of showing us stuff like that.  That way we could see more junkie kid stealing morphine and shit instead.

Over and out.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: September 29, 2015, 08:53:37 AM

Budget.  Zombie apocalipse expensive, sitting in a car listening to zombie apocalipse through the radio cheap.

I am the .00000001428%
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: September 29, 2015, 08:58:00 AM

You chaps are making me glad I don't get this shitshow over here.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: September 29, 2015, 09:00:21 AM

It's not as terrible as we make it sound, it just really really isn't what we were promised.

I am the .00000001428%
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #126 on: September 29, 2015, 10:31:11 AM

I like it it, but it might be because I also watched a few of the new network show debuts and FtWD is freaking Citizen Kane comparatively.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: September 29, 2015, 10:32:51 AM

It is not the flagship, but it is as good as most higher quality network stuff.

They were saving the entire budget for the season finale.  Wait.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #128 on: October 04, 2015, 08:37:22 PM

The finale was solid. The season got better as it progressed.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: October 05, 2015, 01:26:38 AM

The finale was solid. The season got better as it progressed.

Hasn't released here yet - is it better than S2? Aka worth my bandwidth to watch?

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: October 06, 2015, 08:18:15 AM

Yes, it is far better than season 2.  It would be extremely hard not to be.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #131 on: October 06, 2015, 08:29:13 AM

I thought the finale was just mediocre at best. It kind of shambled from stupid to predictable back to stupid then finally on to completely and utterly predictable as well as stupid to end.

Travis being a giant pussy was just irritating, especially when you knew EXACTLY what would happen because of him. The horde? That made a little sense until you stop and think about how you're leading a horde into the same compound you're trying to get people out of simply as a distraction? There's better ways to do that. Also, soldiers with no fire discipline just indiscriminately blasting at zombies at point blank range through a fence when they should know by now that it takes headshots and anything else is a waste of bullets.

In short, things happened because the writers said instead of because that's how it should have happened.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: October 06, 2015, 10:53:11 AM

HaemishM and jgsugden in 100% agreement.  How many signs of the apocalypse does that equate?

Our "heroes" pretty much murdered everyone in that compound.  All the military, all the prisoners, all the wounded...

You'd figure that they'd headshot the zombies and they'd start to pile up and create a wall that blocked the zombies and caused them to redirect around the compound....

I am intrigued by the ship idea.  When I first read Walking Dead my first thought was to head to the sea and find a boat.  I'm curious to see where it goes...

EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: October 06, 2015, 11:13:47 AM

I thought the finale was garbage as was most of the series.  I'm still sort of interested to see where it goes, but I don't particularly like any of the characters and have actually been rooting for Travis to get his face eaten off.  I spend most of the episodes pointing out all the stuff that doesn't make any sense and all the dumb shit the actors are doing.

most often known as Drevik
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: October 06, 2015, 01:10:35 PM

Yeah, I'm with everyone else on a few main points

-mostly shitty characters making dumb decisions because the plot says they should for the sake of the plot
-the main characters killing an entire base of what seemed to be Stormtroopers (based on their lack of accuracy), this entire concept was pretty fucking dumb. I get it was a last resort to save some people, but the Pied Piper of zombies sounds cooler than it actually is.
-predictable outcomes (like letting the soldier go and its results)
-falling way short on showing the downfall of society. It still felt like we were waking up with Rick due to how many days were skipped when we went from a minor infection to a full blown lockdown on a small neighborhood with the rest of LA being mostly cleared. WTF. And with LA being cleared to that extent (based on what we saw when they were driving to Strand's) then why are the military pulling back? They had almost an entire city pretty well cleared.

However, I like Daniel, Strand, and Madison. I'd actually be happier if any one of these three became the leader instead of Travis as any one of them seem to be more interesting and make better decisions.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: October 06, 2015, 01:14:05 PM

My biggest gripe was releasing the herd of walkers on, not just the military, but basically any survivors in the area.  All to save 2-3 people.  Until they did that the area had been pretty clear of walkers. 

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: October 06, 2015, 01:17:50 PM

One reason for the miltary to pull out: to consolidate with other troops in one spot: Edwards Air Force Base. It isn't about LA, it was about what was going on elsewhere, or that was how I took it. That was one of the few things I didn't have complaints about...

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: October 09, 2015, 05:41:07 PM

Watched this all the other day...

The horde? That made a little sense until you stop and think about how you're leading a horde into the same compound you're trying to get people out of simply as a distraction? There's better ways to do that. Also, soldiers with no fire discipline just indiscriminately blasting at zombies at point blank range through a fence when they should know by now that it takes headshots and anything else is a waste of bullets.
This was my first thought when I saw the beginning.  If you want to sneak and get in to the complex, I would think there's better things to do than lead a horde of 2000+ zombies in.  And the machine gun firing into the crowd was just stupid.  Head shots, the soldiers should know this and it should be without question.  The breakdown of military order and soldiers bailing\running away?  Totally agree, once soldiers lose their CO's things can go to hell quickly.  I must say that if the 2 guys in the guard tower could let a group THAT big get THAT close to them without seeing it, then whoever laid the place out was a complete fucking moron.  But then considering that the soldiers have been said to be executing everyone they come across and failing at minor crowd control in buildings to end up with high casualties against slow and predictable walker movements, it's not like whoever is writing this show thinks anyone on it should have much of a brain.

Our "heroes" pretty much murdered everyone in that compound.  All the military, all the prisoners, all the wounded...
And ultimately I think this pisses me off about the show more than anything else.  We're going to totally save 2 people we know and kill several dozen innocents to do it.  I know it's the end of the world, apocalypse and all that, and yeah we ARE LA residents, but some human decency goes a long way here.  Same with their neighbors.  The whole "fuck 'em, they didn't help us" attitude and leaving the gate open so a horde will wander in and kill everyone?  Kind of a shitty attitude and just shows these people are shits not worthy of caring about.  As I said, I get that it's the end of the world and "every man for himself" is pretty much how the world will be, but dropping a line or hint to people and not going out of our way to flat out murder people whose only crime is being there at the time would go considerably further towards making the characters appear to be somewhat decent human beings.  In the original series very rarely does anyone get blasted or wasted by Rick and co. solely for their stuff or without them at least having done something to justify it (yeah, it has happened but it isn't a regular occurrence).  It makes me wish all the people in this show would get eaten - except for our new black guy, he entertains me and hasn't done anything to piss me off yet.
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: October 09, 2015, 06:48:19 PM

In Iraq our troops used an estimated 250,000-300,000 rounds of ammo for every insurgent killed.  Not saying our soldiers have the aim of storm troopers, but this is the B-team (National Guard) and the way they're trained to fight seems a bit different than just running turkey shoots against fellow Americans.

Still it's dumb and implausible, but it is a zombie show after all.

The decision to just wipe out the camp seemed really excessive though.  That's a season four move.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 06:57:37 PM by Hayduke »
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: October 09, 2015, 11:17:17 PM

Thats why I ultimately don't like this show. There is only one person I can stand, and thats the Black Guy. Everybody else has given me enough reason to dislike them for being at least selfish pricks. Most of them would put Shane to Shame as antagonists for a non-sociopathic main cast.

I think if your main cast can be described as "Gabriel and Shane or worse" you have serious problems. Up until the last minute I really thought they would kill off most of the cast and replace them with a new group in the second season. These assholes started at a point that took some the mothership cast 4 seasons of hardships, betrayals and loved ones dying to reach. And most of those are still more decent human beings after all that.

What is the message in this series? Humans suck, go team Zombie?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 11:25:51 PM by Tebonas »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Fear the Walking Dead  
Jump to: