Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:23:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Fear the Walking Dead 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fear the Walking Dead  (Read 35349 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: September 13, 2015, 07:37:25 AM

The "truth" is always all over the internet, that doesn't mean people are going believe there is actual zombies until they see one.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #71 on: September 14, 2015, 12:58:20 PM

Third episode again improved on the last one, but only marginally. The characters still make WAY too many stupid decisions for the sake of plot instead of doing what these characters know they should be doing. In particular Travis stopping Madison from hammering her neighbor's brains out. The military locking down the neighborhood may improve the story next episode but I'm not entirely sure about that.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #72 on: September 14, 2015, 01:10:26 PM

The very fact that we have so many zombie shows and films only guarantees that there will never be zombies.

It will be something else. Personally I am hoping for some version of the hot, topless demons and devils from the Monster Manual.

I have never played WoW.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: September 14, 2015, 01:21:16 PM

Third episode again improved on the last one, but only marginally. The characters still make WAY too many stupid decisions for the sake of plot instead of doing what these characters know they should be doing. In particular Travis stopping Madison from hammering her neighbor's brains out. The military locking down the neighborhood may improve the story next episode but I'm not entirely sure about that.

I don't see it, this isn't post zombie apocalypse like walking dead.  Not killing everyone is still a reasonable choice, specially when they don't currently pose a threat.

I am the .00000001428%
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: September 14, 2015, 01:40:02 PM

Agreeing with Threash - these people don't have all the knowledge, yet.  They know that people are not 'dying' when they should, and that people are getting sick and coming back as these brainless deadish things - but they had no reason to know that the ones that have not been blown to hell are beyond saving. 

I'm not sure why the neighbor was even dead - I didn't see a bite.  She had no reason to commit suicide... did she happen to die of natural causes?  Do some percentage of people that get airborne infected get sick and just die? 

FYI - I think there was a crossover moment last night, but not with the flagship show.  There is an upcoming independent story that is going to be released online with a zombie outbreak on a plane.  I'm betting that look up into the sky at the plan that veered will turn out to be a look at the plane features on the online story.  Apparently, at least one of the characters from the plane show will make their way to Fear the Walking Dead next year (not sure if it will be someone on the plane or someone on the ground, though....) http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/walking-dead-plane-webseries-fear-the-walking-dead-crossover-1201580779/

I'm beginning to think that LA is going to be a very different setting in the long run - that there may be more people alive and more of a government that survives longer than there was out East.  I'm wondering if the local West Coast troops manage to catch on fast enough to keep the zombie population low(ish) creating a story that is half Jericho and half Walking Dead?  In Walking Dead, the Walking Dead are the survivors.  In Fear the Walking Dead, is it suggesting that we should be fearing the survivors?

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: September 14, 2015, 02:34:51 PM

Agreeing with Threash - these people don't have all the knowledge, yet.  They know that people are not 'dying' when they should, and that people are getting sick and coming back as these brainless deadish things - but they had no reason to know that the ones that have not been blown to hell are beyond saving.

They haven't shown anyone get bit and then die and turn yet, so I am in agreement with you on this one. They could have at least left a note or a sign or something to warn their neighbor though. 

I'm not sure why the neighbor was even dead - I didn't see a bite.  She had no reason to commit suicide... did she happen to die of natural causes?  Do some percentage of people that get airborne infected get sick and just die?

The pills on the table imply she was sick or that she took them and overdosed. She was in a bathrobe/nightgown, so probably sick and died in bed. 

FYI - I think there was a crossover moment last night, but not with the flagship show.  There is an upcoming independent story that is going to be released online with a zombie outbreak on a plane.  I'm betting that look up into the sky at the plan that veered will turn out to be a look at the plane features on the online story.  Apparently, at least one of the characters from the plane show will make their way to Fear the Walking Dead next year (not sure if it will be someone on the plane or someone on the ground, though....) http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/walking-dead-plane-webseries-fear-the-walking-dead-crossover-1201580779/

This sounds cool. I liked the webisodes, so it would be neat to see some more of those.

I'm beginning to think that LA is going to be a very different setting in the long run - that there may be more people alive and more of a government that survives longer than there was out East.  I'm wondering if the local West Coast troops manage to catch on fast enough to keep the zombie population low(ish) creating a story that is half Jericho and half Walking Dead?  In Walking Dead, the Walking Dead are the survivors.  In Fear the Walking Dead, is it suggesting that we should be fearing the survivors?

I think that this series will be more urban than the regular walking dead series. California has a lot of urban environment to play in and once you leave the beaches, it's desert unless you go north. I think this series should explore more of what would happen to city folk in their cities. And how long would they last before the zombies win.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: September 14, 2015, 02:40:53 PM

...I'm not sure why the neighbor was even dead - I didn't see a bite.  She had no reason to commit suicide... did she happen to die of natural causes?  Do some percentage of people that get airborne infected get sick and just die?
The pills on the table imply she was sick or that she took them and overdosed. She was in a bathrobe/nightgown, so probably sick and died in bed. 
There were pills on my table this morning, too.... awfully (in)convenient timing for an overdose/natural death. 

The biggest question I've had in Walking Dead is: Why so many zombies?  Wouldn't the zombies have eaten away most of the people to the point where they would not be mobile as zombies?  If they were bitten and then went off and were sick, wouldn't they have been locked up in the rooms where they died?  Shouldn't that minimize the number of roamers? 

I'd hoped this show would have a good explanation (even if just implied) why we had so many zombies running around, but we didn't get it yet.  I don't expect we will, either.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: September 14, 2015, 02:52:31 PM

I hope this show doesn't forget that the biggest issue once society collapses in southern California won't be zombies, it will be trying to find fresh water.

Over and out.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: September 14, 2015, 03:03:13 PM

I hope this show doesn't forget that the biggest issue once society collapses in southern California won't be zombies, it will be trying to find fresh water.
That and all of the protestors calling for zombie rights...

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: September 14, 2015, 03:15:08 PM

Well these folks were planning on heading into the desert, so water should be an issue even then.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: September 14, 2015, 03:18:55 PM

Southern California is a desert.  But to your point, that's assuming the military even lets them leave.  They could be setting up a quarantine of the whole area.

Over and out.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #81 on: September 14, 2015, 04:19:08 PM

I think it's pretty obvious the next episode or two will be the military quarantining the main characters in the neighborhood.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: September 14, 2015, 06:23:25 PM

If only the police and military acted this fast in real life.   awesome, for real  Considering we as viewers know this is going on everywhere, it's pretty surprising how much of a cop and military presence has popped up so quick.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: September 14, 2015, 06:34:57 PM

In general, one thing that keeps me from really enjoying zombie stuff that *isn't* explicitly magic is that it doesn't make any fucking sense, and that I assume even in the most shell-shocked apocalyptic group there would eventually be someone who says, "Look, let's try to come at this methodically and figure this out". At which point the whole thing collapses into a pile of goo. Walking Dead's zombies are radically anti-entropy. They keep moving and wanting to eat even though they also don't have to eat in order to expend energy. Their cells don't seem to require bodily integrity to operate but they do sort of seem to need a brain despite not really seeming to need one, exactly. Things "die" after they "die" if they receive sufficient damage, but that doesn't make any sense at all in the context of some of the zombies seen where they keep trying to do stuff if they are almost entirely without body integrity if they have a brain. Etcetera. I can suspend disbelief in a lot of situations--gods lifting hammers, Iron Men flying across the sky, giants hammering on city walls, you name it, but there's something about non-magic zombies that is just...like, what? for me, especially if everything else is standard "how will we survive after the end of the world?" At that point I just say, "end the world already and forget the zombies, that's already interesting enough".
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: September 15, 2015, 04:39:58 AM

The very first episode of the original series Morgan explains to Rick a sickness/fever that goes around & kills people but then they come back (his wife). No need to get bitten to turn, people get sick, die, come back, eat & spread it around. We've also seen plenty of zombies trapped inside houses too...
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: September 15, 2015, 08:49:07 AM

I'll have to go back and rewatch the pilot of the flagship, but my recollection is that Morgan had no idea about people coming back if they were not bit - and that any reference he made to sickness was in the context of bites.  I don't recall there was any hint that an airborn illness was killing people at the time of the outbreak.

As for needing magic to explain it: When Kirkman sold the idea to the comics folks, his bible explained that the outbreak was the brainchild of aliens.... that is close to magic.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #86 on: September 15, 2015, 09:02:34 AM

As for needing magic to explain it: When Kirkman sold the idea to the comics folks, his bible explained that the outbreak was the brainchild of aliens.... that is close to magic.

I... what? Seriously?

Dear God, I really hope they don't ever ever ever show that in the TV series.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #87 on: September 15, 2015, 09:07:28 AM

It's how I would do it. Hightech smallpox blankets.

"Me am play gods"
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: September 15, 2015, 10:28:29 AM

To be clear: Kirkman had the ides for the comic, but nobody was biting.  He was apparently in the middle of the pitch to Valentino when he saw the eyes glazing over and started to BS the alien invasion thing to try to get some interest: http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/scifi/walking-deads-robert-kirkman-aliens-figured-comics-origins-aliens.html  He says the alien thing was all BS. 

The creator of the series recalls, “I said, ‘Oh, I forgot to tell you that this is actually a big setup for an alien invasion.” See, the whole zombie plague was a virus engineered by an alien race as a prelude to invasion and colonization. After all, if you want to wipe out a world’s dominant species, there’s nothing like zillions of man-eating, hard-to-kill reanimated corpses to thin out the human herd. Kirkman claimed that he would be laying hints about the alien element throughout the seemingly straightforward zombie narrative — I can’t believe I just typed that — so that the twist, like all good twists, would make you look back on everything that came before in an entirely different light.

And it was all, every last bit of it, a crock of horse shit. Once the series has been given the greenlight and published a few issues, Stephenson called Kirkman to praise his work, but also to ask why there hadn’t been any Easter eggs hinting at the alien reveal yet. Kirkman laughed and admitted that he’d made all of that up and never had any intention of involving aliens. They wanted a hook, so he gave them a hook. Thankfully, the early issues of the series had already proven that Kirkman had a great story to tell, aliens notwithstanding, so it became just an amusing bit of comic history, rather than an excuse to fire the dude.

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #89 on: September 15, 2015, 10:50:30 AM

Kirkman wouldn't be the first to do this even if he went through with it.  The very first modern zombie film, from which most current zombies are derived, essentially did the same thing.  In Night of the Living Dead the source of the zombie plague is attributed to radiation from an exploded probe returning from Venus which could easily be caused by aliens, though Romero never gave a definitive answer, and he went on to make four sequels.  Night of the Creeps, Home Delivery (by Stephen King), The Screwfly Solution, and a number of other movies/books have played with the idea.  I don't think it's a bad one.  Certainly better than magic, though I guess that's a low bar.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #90 on: September 15, 2015, 11:17:05 AM

I think given how well the TV series has gone (the original that is, not this pale imitation), adding an element of alien invasion would feel all too much like Falling Skies. And that show is fucking awful.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #91 on: September 15, 2015, 11:18:23 AM

Is this series ignoring the revelation in the original that dying from any cause other than head trauma results in zombification?

I have never played WoW.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #92 on: September 15, 2015, 11:41:41 AM

No, it isn't ignoring that.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: September 15, 2015, 11:59:33 AM

In fact, some characters seem to have already figured out that anyone dying is coming back, months earlier than characters on the flagship figured it out.  They saw multiple people die - unbitten - and come back.  In fact, it may be that the knowledge gap on this show is that bites kill.  Someone on this show may get bit and might think it no worse than a dog bite...

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: September 15, 2015, 12:00:11 PM

We have zombie ants in nature.  I look at that and then I don't wonder at all at a tv show rationalisation. Seriously, people.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: September 15, 2015, 12:14:10 PM

We have zombie ants in nature.  I look at that and then I don't wonder at all at a tv show rationalisation. Seriously, people.

Then there is this thing, which makes run of the mill zombies positively pleasant.

I am the .00000001428%
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: September 15, 2015, 03:38:32 PM

I think given how well the TV series has gone (the original that is, not this pale imitation), adding an element of alien invasion would feel all too much like Falling Skies. And that show is fucking awful.

They could add an element of Evil Clowns from Dimension X and it would still be better than Falling Skies.

Over and out.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: September 15, 2015, 11:06:23 PM

I like this series just fine, it scratches my zombie itch while waiting for the flagship's return. 

And some of you need to adjust the tilt on your berets.  This is a tv series about the zombie apocalypse.  There are going to be logical holes all over the place.  The flagship series has tons of them already.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #98 on: September 16, 2015, 06:47:59 AM

Yeah, but those zombie ants aren't actually dead. All the different cordyceps just use chemicals to trigger basic evolutionary traits before they kill the host. And then they're just dead and sit there. Without magic or breathing and circulation zombies are absolutely impossible.

Also, cordyceps are being researched to develop a wide array of different medicines for humans.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: September 16, 2015, 06:52:13 AM

Now you're just nitpicking my point about the pointlessness of nitpicking.

You know where that ends, right ?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #100 on: September 16, 2015, 07:40:07 AM

And some of you need to adjust the tilt on your berets.  This is a tv series about the zombie apocalypse.  There are going to be logical holes all over the place.  The flagship series has tons of them already.

I have more of a problem with the wildly inconsistent characterizations than I do the logical plot holes inherent in zombie fiction.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #101 on: September 16, 2015, 10:01:14 AM

Now you're just nitpicking my point about the pointlessness of nitpicking.

You know where that ends, right ?

My glorious ascension as a being of pure energy to the throne made from the skulls of my enemies.

Seriously, is it the Skull Throne?

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: September 16, 2015, 10:12:32 AM

Alas no.  If only it was.  I could ascend solely by discussing The Dark Tower.

DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: September 21, 2015, 03:26:42 PM

Did anyone else notice that there were no zombies in the entire last episode? It's kind of hard to Fear them if they aren't even in the episode.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: September 21, 2015, 04:14:18 PM

Did anyone else notice that there were no zombies in the entire last episode? It's kind of hard to Fear them if they aren't even in the episode.

"Walking Dead" has never meant the zombies, it refers to the survivors.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Fear the Walking Dead  
Jump to: