Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:44:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Fear the Walking Dead 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fear the Walking Dead  (Read 35353 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #35 on: August 31, 2015, 01:39:46 PM

The whole riot thing was extremely forced the more I think about it. I'm still not even sure why the people got off the bus. They seemed to have to walk for many many blocks to get to where "the cop shot some homeless guy." Was the bus stopped in traffic? If so, the director really didn't make that clear because all we saw was ambulance drive by, then some guy got on and yelled about cops shooting some dude and the next thing we know, the kid is walking in downtown L.A. like a moron and the scene looks more like a #WalkerLivesMatter protest than whatever the fuck it was supposed to be.

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: August 31, 2015, 03:26:55 PM

Yeah, the second episode was better than the first. Still, I feel like episodes one and two could have been condensed and combined into one solid episode that didn't drag out as two mediocre episodes.

You also missed the zombie goth chick that got it in the eye at the end of 2.

I don't think the zombie goth chick had any lines, so she wouldn't count towards the "speaking role character" count.

... except Pimple face (Tobias?).  I liked that there was at least one character that seemed to have a clue how to handle the new world... until they ruined it in that hallway scene.  I was so frustrated to see him revert to an idiot that seemed to be clueless for no reason other than to give someone else a chance to play 'hero'. (Although he does get props for realizing he is better off far and away from the crazy guidance counselor).

It seemed pretty legit to me. Dude had all his info from online, but when encountered irl he didn't know shit. I laughed about it because it felt like a mockery of wikipedia know-it-alls and internet warriors.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: August 31, 2015, 03:42:14 PM

I think the reason everyone is getting the "flu" is because that's the zombie virus that's infecting everyone.  For a lot of people, the initial stage expresses with flu-like symptoms.  You remember how the CDC guy said everyone already carries the virus that turns them into a zombie when they die?  The "flu" is people getting that stage of the virus.  Then it stays with you forever until you die, when you come back as a zombie.  Plenty of viruses in real life will stay with you forever (chicken pox, herpes) so that doesn't sound unreasonable.

Over and out.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: August 31, 2015, 03:57:46 PM

Well, that was clichéd, annoying bullshit.

From start to finish.

Fuck sake, make it stop already.  Just give up.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #39 on: August 31, 2015, 05:23:56 PM

The whole riot thing was extremely forced the more I think about it. I'm still not even sure why the people got off the bus. They seemed to have to walk for many many blocks to get to where "the cop shot some homeless guy." Was the bus stopped in traffic? If so, the director really didn't make that clear because all we saw was ambulance drive by, then some guy got on and yelled about cops shooting some dude and the next thing we know, the kid is walking in downtown L.A. like a moron and the scene looks more like a #WalkerLivesMatter protest than whatever the fuck it was supposed to be.

Even before that, nobody takes public transit in LA. That bus should've been empty.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #40 on: August 31, 2015, 05:41:58 PM

You must be wrong. Speed had Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock save a full busload of people from that Dennis Hopper dude.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: August 31, 2015, 08:47:51 PM

This was 2010 or so.  People took the bus in 2010 or so. 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: August 31, 2015, 10:36:25 PM

So far, the biggest thing bugging me is the music. If you need a scene suspenseful, then do it. I don't need pounding, dubstep Psycho remixes to tell me something is about to happen. Just fucking do it.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: September 01, 2015, 01:22:49 AM

Like many shows at the moment, the sound quality is just Fucking Awful.

But seriously, we only just got the first episode last night and it was hackneyed and clichéd stuff.  Like Jurrasic World, I was waiting, Waiting, WAITING for a character that I gave even a remote fuck about.  TWD was so much better than this.  Sooooo much better.  There was nothing clever or non-tropey about it.  All the characters are dumb.  None of them listen.  Like, at all.  It cut from the addict explaining to the mom saying 'maybe he meant something else' and then it cut to the fact that she was IN THE TRUCK with him while saying this.  It's just....arggggg.

Bad show is going to be bad.  I hope to fuck they pull out something better than this soon or it won't be a concurrent show.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #44 on: September 01, 2015, 07:38:47 AM

I just don't understand how such a successful franchise is allowed to so quickly go hack. The original series hasn't even gone hack yet. It seems like it would be so easy to do it right a second time.

I have never played WoW.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: September 01, 2015, 09:17:35 AM

Like many shows at the moment, the sound quality is just Fucking Awful.

But seriously, we only just got the first episode last night and it was hackneyed and clichéd stuff.  Like Jurrasic World, I was waiting, Waiting, WAITING for a character that I gave even a remote fuck about. ....
Druggie son wasn't interesting to you?  He was the only character I liked through two episodes.
I just don't understand how such a successful franchise is allowed to so quickly go hack. The original series hasn't even gone hack yet. It seems like it would be so easy to do it right a second time.
The staffing behind the camera is substantially different.  They have a lot of familiar names associated, but the real drivers of the show are a different group... a group that is trying something different.  I bet season 1 is mediocre and frustrating and then season 2 makes the proper adjustments and we get more of the quality of the flagship showing up here.  I'll sit through the starting 6 episodes with lowered expectations and wait for season 2 to really judge the series.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 09:20:44 AM by jgsugden »

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: September 01, 2015, 09:18:12 AM

Based on the first 2 episodes it's was just a below mediocre family drama with the zombie thing tacked on. None of the characters were really that interesting and since It's basically the same as Walking Dead there's no tension or mystery how the things are going to play when it comes to the zombies. I have no interest in seeing any more episodes of this unless it for some strange reason turns awesome later on which could happen if they add some really good character played by a fitting actor (but until then it's not on my watch list)
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: September 01, 2015, 10:06:54 AM

This has been sitting in my queue for 2 episodes and the more I read about how mediocre it is the less inclined I am to rush out and watch it ;-) Nothing irritates me more than hack family drama with angsty teenagers and clueless parents.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: September 01, 2015, 10:31:51 AM

It is better than mediocre to me.  It is far from the flagship, it wanders, there is some cheese oozing out of it... but it is still worth watching.  It needs to get better, but few shows knock it out of the park from the start.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: September 01, 2015, 11:51:08 AM

Nah, sorry, you don't get away with that.  All I'm doing is comparing the premiere of TWD to FTWD as a direct comparison and it's Utter, Utter Shite.  Really, really terribad.

If it was up to me, I'd tape the whole fucking thing and then watch it in one sitting because at least then I could be SURE it was a write off.  But the Wife ain't gonna weather that.  She's like you.

Well, except not mental.  And, I wager, bigger jugs.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 12:09:05 PM by Ironwood »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #50 on: September 01, 2015, 12:06:44 PM

You hope.  why so serious?

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: September 01, 2015, 01:30:44 PM

Nah, sorry, you don't get away with that.  All I'm doing is comparing the premiere of TWD to FTWD as a direct comparison and it's Utter, Utter Shite.  Really, really terribad.
So are 99% of the premieres out there.  If your benchmark its the pilot of TWD, I agree this is trash.  If your benchmarks are the pilots of the 10% of the dramas out there that became watchable shows... it is an ok start with room to grow.
If it was up to me, I'd tape the whole fucking thing and then watch it in one sitting because at least then I could be SURE it was a write off.  But the Wife ain't gonna weather that.  She's like you.

Well, except not mental.  And, I wager, bigger jugs.
You subtle attempt to get pictures of my jugs is not going to work.  Not unless you ask real nice.

I'm still betting that episode 7+ (S2E1) will be better than 1 through 6.  They didn't find themselves yet, but the Executive team in place should know where to turn to make improvements.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: September 02, 2015, 05:08:42 PM

I enjoyed the second episode more, maybe because one or two of the characters started to become interesting.

I agree it's not clear what's actually happening - something has happened which means the school is totally empty of students (weird zombie flu?) but other things seem to be pretty much unaffected. Also, if we're meant to think that everyone or lots of people went down with a strange flu at the start of the zombie apocalypse then it's odd that nobody in the other show mentioned it. They would have put two and two together, surely. In the other show, the flu just seems to be what you get if you are bit.

And it seems silly that there's one guy saying the truth is all over the internet, as if he's the only person who ever goes online. Presumably this story is set around he time of Season One of The Walking Dead (maybe a few weeks earlier) which I guess is 2010 or so.

But despite all my moans I am actually enjoying it.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: September 02, 2015, 07:48:50 PM

The events of Season 1 of FtWD take place soon after Rick's shooting in the WD pilot (while he is unconscious). 

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: September 03, 2015, 01:12:27 AM

And it seems silly that there's one guy saying the truth is all over the internet, as if he's the only person who ever goes online.

This is what bugs me most.  Max Brooks didn't get away with it by classing his Japanese geeks as subhuman and FtWD won't get away with it by making spotty young kid a pimply fat arse.  The fact of the matter is we live in a fucking digitally connected world and that shit is NOT gonna fly.  It's even worse when they're all gawking at the fucking YOUTUBE video of some zombie getting shot, yet there's not a whole world of people screaming about the shit that's happening.

For Fucks Sake, 'Normal' people know about fucking Gamergate!  You think that some Zombie/Pandemic shit is going to happen and no-one fucking notices ?  Fuck that.

So looking forward to the 2nd episode.   why so serious?  (Not).

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: September 03, 2015, 02:54:02 AM

One bit to consider... this isn't a tale of 2015. It is a tale about 2010 or so. Facebook had just become revenue positive and the IPO was still 2 years away. Iron Man 2 had just come out.  The Lakers were about to win an NBA title. iPhone 4 wasn't coming out until after the end of the 2010 school year. The topics of the day on f13 included DVD ripping, whether people were going to try Chrome and whether Batman Arkham was just a reskinned Bioshock. The YouTube of 2010 was not the YouTube of today... it was getting big, but was far from the thing it is now... it was half as old as it is now.  They should have had 1 or 2 quick references to remind the audience that the world was a bit different then...

The Walking Dead comic world went to hell in October 2003 according to some Kirkman statements, although he backs off those elsewhere.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: September 03, 2015, 03:28:44 AM

You're seriously arguing that 2010 isn't globally connected in much the same way as today ?

My fucking Business internet slammed to a crawl in 2001, oh around Mid-September for some reason.  You can't seriously make that argument.

Nor can the fucking show.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: September 03, 2015, 04:26:53 AM

Obviously, yes. Things have changed substantially over the past 5 years. We have not been locked in a massive technological standstill.   Technology changed, who had access to technology changed, and the frequency of use increased. 

I swear, if I said water was wet some of you would claim there was only ice and steam.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: September 03, 2015, 04:40:59 AM

In fairness, that's probably because while you would grudgingly accept that some people might like Ice and Steam, they both weren't very likely and, frankly, not to your tastes.  You'd then link an article published about 5 years before Ice and Steam were discovered saying that it's definitely going to be the case that heat and cold will turn water into liquid metal and, you heard it here first true believers, it's going to be Sooooo Coooool.  When confronted with the article after the discovery of Ice and Steam, and how uninteresting they both were, probably about 20 forum pages later, you'd say 'Well, I didn't say it was definite at the time'.

swamp poop

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #59 on: September 03, 2015, 06:16:29 AM

Facebook revenue positive? So?

2009 was the height of Facebook joining. I know because after my father died people finally convinced me to join and I was on the tail of the bandwagon.  2010 plenty of people would have been posting about any sort of outbreak.

2006 was the start of Twitter. 2010 wouldn't have been as big a deal as it is now, but it WAS a thing. How on earth could I prove this..
OH right.. internet.
http://mashable.com/2010/12/12/top-twitter-trends-2010/

Yeah, nobody was talking about those in the general populace. It would have only been geeks on the internet so FTWD treating it the same way is TOTALLY PLAUSIBLE.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: September 03, 2015, 08:07:37 AM

Ironwood, there is a point where smoking the crack gets unhealthy.  Take care of yourself.  Your characterization of my arguments, while amusing, fails to note that when I use facts to support my case, the *facts* do *support my case* - and the counterarguments usually boil down to cynical unsupported opinion from people that get their undies in a bunch whenever someone points out their opinions are, for lack of a better word, craptastically unsupported by fact.

Anyone want to take a guess at the percentage growth in active Twitter accounts in the last 5 years?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #61 on: September 03, 2015, 12:17:11 PM

If we accept that the original Walking Dead was set around 2010 and so Fear is set around the same time, Ironwood is 100% correct. 2010 was after social media really started taking off. I work in marketing and we were trying to exploit it years before then. There's no way in 2010 something that big which did have a Youtube video (the cop shooting the zombie dude) wouldn't have sparked a shitload of media talk. Remember the dudes that tried to eat faces because they were hopped up on bath salts? The kind of "hah-hah zombie apocalypse" way the media and everyone on the Internet talked about it?

That's the way people in Fear should have reacted to that shooting because that's pretty much exactly like what happened with the bath salts. Yet we have LA freaking out and closing school? And the main family deciding to hit the desert? And the only one who knows anything about it is the fat spotty Internet nerd? Those are all reasons why the whole thing just doesn't make a lot of sense. Because either it's bad enough and EVERYONE knows through social media (based on the tech they've made pains to show like video on tablets and smartphones) and should be reacting like spotty Jedi outcast or everyone should laugh it off or not know about it at all.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #62 on: September 03, 2015, 12:48:29 PM

Wtf was up with that blouse he was wearing.. bugged the fuck out of me.   awesome, for real

Angora sweater.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: September 03, 2015, 01:59:30 PM

Geesh.  Nobody bothers to read anymore, do they?

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: September 03, 2015, 02:57:16 PM

I still don't know what Gamergate is. I've been tempted to look it up a couple times, but the responses to it indicate I'm better off not knowing.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #65 on: September 03, 2015, 04:00:25 PM

Finally watched the pilot.

Family drama. 
BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW DUN DUH DUN BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH DUH DUN DUNNNNN.  Zombie scare.
Family drama. Cue the violins.
Plot hint delivered by nerd. Apparently 2010 is the height of Geocities and AOL, because LOL internet.
Family drama.  Let's introduce some more cliched relationships.
BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW DUN DUH DUN BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH DUH DUN DUNNNNN.  Zombie scare.
People being dumb.
Family drama.
Junkie hobo shit.  I hope this doesn't take Lexa off The 100.  Can she die early?
Family drama.  Cliched chitter chatter.
OOH. PLOT STUFF. Ohh, they got in the truck.
PLOT VIDEO. Kill shot, bitch.
Magical nerd will save us all.
Family drama.
Wut.
DUN. DUN DUN. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHRRRRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNGGGGG. Dead black guy #1.
M. Night Shamalamadingdong.  Shocking.
Plot development.
*industrial music borrowed from season 2 of True Detective*

Well, that was kind of bad.  It showed some hint of being redeemable.  It would be helpful if it stops being selectively stupid about the environment it's in.

-Rasix
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: September 03, 2015, 10:53:25 PM

I still don't know what Gamergate is. I've been tempted to look it up a couple times, but the responses to it indicate I'm better off not knowing.

Don't go down that path.  I do not think this site ever had a dedicated Gamergate thread, which is proof that there is a god and he is schild.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: September 04, 2015, 01:47:08 AM

My point being in this day and age there are housewives more informed than geeks.  A point Walrus just proved.

Magical Nerd made me laugh tho.  Bravo Rasix.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: September 12, 2015, 09:00:19 PM

If we accept that the original Walking Dead was set around 2010 and so Fear is set around the same time, Ironwood is 100% correct. 2010 was after social media really started taking off. I work in marketing and we were trying to exploit it years before then. There's no way in 2010 something that big which did have a Youtube video (the cop shooting the zombie dude) wouldn't have sparked a shitload of media talk. Remember the dudes that tried to eat faces because they were hopped up on bath salts? The kind of "hah-hah zombie apocalypse" way the media and everyone on the Internet talked about it?

That's the way people in Fear should have reacted to that shooting because that's pretty much exactly like what happened with the bath salts. Yet we have LA freaking out and closing school? And the main family deciding to hit the desert? And the only one who knows anything about it is the fat spotty Internet nerd? Those are all reasons why the whole thing just doesn't make a lot of sense. Because either it's bad enough and EVERYONE knows through social media (based on the tech they've made pains to show like video on tablets and smartphones) and should be reacting like spotty Jedi outcast or everyone should laugh it off or not know about it at all.
Watched both episodes last night and this is exactly how I feel. Don't hate it and will definitely continue to turn in, but there's quite a bit of "wait a minute, that doesn't make sense..." as stated above that has me scratching my head and wondering why they didn't try and improve the way everything was presented.

My wife commented "hah hah!  It's LA and everyone's driving 40 year old cars!" which made me wonder if they weren't trying to make it seem a bit older than it is and botched it with the smart phones and youtube videos.  Because really, who drives a 1975 F series truck daily in LA anymore?  In 1998 when I lived in the area it was more common, by 2010 that's not happening much at all anymore.
apocrypha
Terracotta Army

Planes? Shit, I'm terrified to get in my car now!

Reply #69 on: September 12, 2015, 11:16:27 PM

Come on, there are people who say that the 'truth' about 9/11 is all over the internet, but does that mean everyone believes that jet fuel can't melt steel beams?

But this one, tiny point aside, it's not yet a very good show. It's only on the watch list for now while there's a relative dearth of actual very good shows to watch, but South Park, American Horror Story, Agents of SHIELD and Fargo all start back up again soon, so it may drop below the threshold.

"Bourgeois society stands at the crossroads, either transition to socialism or regression into barbarism" - Rosa Luxemburg, 1915.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Fear the Walking Dead  
Jump to: