Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:41:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Orcs Must Die! Unchained 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Orcs Must Die! Unchained  (Read 3785 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: March 27, 2015, 01:50:02 AM

End of 2016 update:

Game has been revamped and PvP removed. Now it's Orcs Must Die! online co-op with up to 5 players.

The game originally launched with just the PvP mode called Siege. A year later they added the co-op PvE mode called Survival and basically most people stopped playing Siege and played Survival so now they just dropped Siege mode completely.

https://orcsmustdie.com/#!/en/blog/release-1_6-live

Original post:

Orcs Must Die! Unchained, AKA OMDU.

New Free To Play, 5v5 MOBA-like third-person shooter game from Robot Entertainment makers of Orcs Must Die! and Orcs Must Die! 2. Currently in Closed Beta Phase 2 that just started this week. Has the same trap-building mechanics as their previous games except that each team controls what minions are sent against the other team.

The actual MOBA-part of the game is more simplistic than some of the others in the genre. E.g. there are no items to buy in-game, no creep/buff camps to contest and no warding to increase your vision. The complexity comes from the "deck building" part of the game where you setup what you are going to bring into the game before the game starts. Your deck includes your gear (which give you extra abilities), your traps and your minions and bosses that will spawn. It also has a player traits system analogous to what League of Legends has.

The game has two currencies, skulls that you earn playing the game and gold that you purchase with real money. Right now everything but the cosmetic items (hero skins) can be purchased with skulls. Heroes can also be purchased with gold if you are too lazy to grind for skulls. Everything else non-cosmetic can only be purchased with skulls.

Basic gameplay video
Twitch OMDU game channels
Twitch Robot Entertainment OMDU channel
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 09:44:11 PM by Trippy »
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 06:31:39 AM

Because this was a great decision when Trendy made it.  awesome, for real

(it's probably a better decision than when Trendy made it)
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 08:11:09 AM

That description sounds really, really cool. I loved tower wars!

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 11:26:40 AM

Because this was a great decision when Trendy made it.  awesome, for real

(it's probably a better decision than when Trendy made it)

I never tried PvP in Dungeon Defenders so I can't compare. I only played a little bit of Dungeon Defenders before stopping cause I didn't like blocking. To me it's no longer a tower defense game when you do that.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 10:38:22 PM

Dungeon Defenders 2 was originally slated to be a MOBA, and that version of the game was in closed beta with PR well underway before the entire project was scrapped in favor of a more traditional sequel. Nobody really PvP'd in DD1.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 01:06:06 AM

Ah okay, didn't know that.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 06:12:06 PM

Wasn't there and old WC3 map where you would purchase guys to send against the other person's base?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 06:18:52 PM

Line Tower Wars (and many others).
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 06:21:54 PM

Line Tower Wars (and many others).

Ah right.  I used to really enjoy those.  Actually kinda psyched about this now.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 09:44:30 PM

See first post.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 12:18:43 PM

Watched some people streaming this recently on the official Twitch channel and it looked interesting with traps and heroes that are new to this game (not in OMD1 or OMD2) so I fired up my copy to give it another try.

It now does feel like OMD Online, which is good, and includes an Endless mode to really test your trap building skills. Unfortunately it's another game like Fortnite (PvE Save the World mode) which has its progression locked behind RNG loot chests. Not recommended unless you were the type that replayed the levels in OMD1 and OMD2 over and over and over again to try to max out your score or have lots of money to spend.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Orcs Must Die! Unchained  
Jump to: