Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:54:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: 7 days to die (server) 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 7 days to die (server)  (Read 51141 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #35 on: March 27, 2015, 06:40:39 PM

I still want to figure out how to play.
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: March 27, 2015, 08:33:02 PM

I still want to figure out how to play.
Priorities:
  • DON'T GET EATEN BY ZOMBIES
  • Make an axe
  • Make a crossbow
  • Gather food and supplies

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: March 30, 2015, 02:49:51 PM

Welp, after spending a day figuring out why I couldn't join (lack of reading comprehension on my part mixed with the fact that the Anti Cheating Crap didn't like my Windows configuration), here I am, sitting in a small cabin dying of dysentery. I let a bit of diarrhea go on too long before finding the stuff to make some goldenrod tea, and now I need antibiotics. Which don't want to drop. And I'm hungry and there are no rabbits or pigs nearby.

There is, however, no shortage of lag warping walking dead.

Speaking of which, is anybody else getting really really bad lag spikes? It might just be my crappy daytime connection, but it seems a lot worse than most online games.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #38 on: April 02, 2015, 07:27:38 PM

schild
Administrator

Reply #39 on: April 02, 2015, 07:45:30 PM

So glad I waited a bit to really get into it.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: April 02, 2015, 09:28:25 PM

Zombie corpse blocks will be an interesting twist to base design.

I had just gotten the very basics down and was building my first real base when the patch hit. Bah.

So far it's a lot more difficult to see (lots of lighting and shader effects, but it is pretty). And I hate the new sneak waddle effect. And the bow sucks but I guess it's just about getting leather for a crossbow?
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #41 on: April 03, 2015, 03:22:57 AM

I'll definitely try it out next time it goes on sale  Heart

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #42 on: April 03, 2015, 07:06:31 AM

I played this a bit with some co-workers a couple months ago. The difference between jumping on and trying to figure out crafting while hiding in the closet of a ruined gas station, vs. trying to learn crafting while standing in a secure three level bunker someone else built is rather night and day. Also, punch ground to get grass - very hard to make anything else without fibers, and I think I wasted two days running around wondering why none of the plants or grass seemed "harvestable".

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: April 03, 2015, 11:43:38 AM

So crossbows got nerfed huh? Good,they were ridiculously OP.

But now I guess we can make bows early in game? Is there any sort of projectile drop modeled yet?

You know what? I think I'll just drop into game and see....
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: April 03, 2015, 01:51:14 PM

I think I'm going to radicalthon my first playthrough with zombies, though I've only got them on very low. It was enough to spawn 7 or 8 around the first cabin I found, I barely survived the encounter and I'm infected with 3 days left.

Definitely a difference between hanging out and learning the crafting system in relative safety and only worrying about having enough food and water as I tried to build my first base...

I'm going to give it a go for a while with zombies on, but I already wish there was an even lower or perhaps more appropriate setting. I saw dozens of zombies in the winter woods, where really there probably should only have been one or two. The 8ish around the cabin still seems a bit much for plausibility, but at least it's a 'want to get in cabin, clear zeds' kind of thing.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: April 03, 2015, 03:05:01 PM

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: April 04, 2015, 09:11:18 PM

Hm. Looks like no caves on the static map (Navelgaze or w/e). With the new ore spawn system, I'm not seeing any. Also there seems to be a bug with random map gen where towns aren't properly spawning. It's on the short list for a hotfix, probably 11.2. But I kind of want to hold off to start up a map until it's fixed, and I guess I need to move to random map now until they figure something out for the static map mining.

Overall I've been enjoying alpha 11, though as I said I still would prefer less zombies than the lowest setting spawns; and more logical spawning. Maybe a good idea for a mod, but getting the logical part working would probably be tough.

The graphics are nice, just hanging out in the forest hunting deer is very relaxing. Fiancee can't figure out why I'd even want /any/ zombies in there :)
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: April 05, 2015, 06:02:39 AM

Hm. Looks like no caves on the static map (Navelgaze or w/e). With the new ore spawn system, I'm not seeing any. Also there seems to be a bug with random map gen where towns aren't properly spawning. It's on the short list for a hotfix, probably 11.2. But I kind of want to hold off to start up a map until it's fixed, and I guess I need to move to random map now until they figure something out for the static map mining.

Overall I've been enjoying alpha 11, though as I said I still would prefer less zombies than the lowest setting spawns; and more logical spawning. Maybe a good idea for a mod, but getting the logical part working would probably be tough.

The graphics are nice, just hanging out in the forest hunting deer is very relaxing. Fiancee can't figure out why I'd even want /any/ zombies in there :)
Yeah, if you're playing on the server don't get attached to the map/world. I will be throwing up a new one when they patch in towns.

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: April 05, 2015, 09:12:36 AM

Sucks they're going to wait until alpha 12 to fix the zombies speeding up before nighttime. Day is soo short now with zombies turned on.

Any tips on getting some breathing room to relax a bit? I started a random map with low zombie spawn and 30s forget rule. Spawned into a spot with a decent cliff and little box canyons to block LoS from the plains. Gathered a few things and went back with one zombie on my trail. Killed him with the bow and snuck into the box canyon to craft some ladder with the intent of making a small survival shack on the outcrop above (I'm undetected at this point with one zombie on the far side of the outcrop, maybe 20 blocks of stone between us).

A zombie spawns right around the corner in the back of the canyon, so I back off to take him out and notice a half dozen closing in. Do zombie deaths or corpses draw in more zombies? Seems like that would compound the problem. The only thing that has worked for me is to just keep moving and running, but it's difficult to get any crafting or harvesting done that way.

Also, not a single structure around so I'm out of water with maybe six ears of raw corn :p
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: April 05, 2015, 10:27:20 AM

You should be able to switch options to zombies never run. Also yes, zombies alert other zombies. The way to get around this is to stealth kill them. And I think putting a sleeping bag down prevents spawning in an area around it.

Having towns so rare actually makes it an interesting challenge. I hope that the finished game provides some sort of slider for urban buildup.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: April 05, 2015, 10:43:44 AM

Yeah, night two in a 2x1 hole :p Found a nice spot to build between two lakes, I'll probably head back there if day 3 yields no cabins and build from scratch, I guess. I've got my day cycle set to 60 minutes, night was long enough for me to shower and do a few chores, heh.

Only intact structure I've found was a large shed with only a couple crap crates inside. I did find a loaded pistol with 7 more ammo just before nightfall 2nd day, so that's something. Still no bed, so.....

Didn't realize you could only do cans on stick campfires. In my non-zombie playthroughs I mostly ignored cans, now they're gold. Managed to take a deer by a lake and get fully fed and hydrated around noon 2nd day, which was huge.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: April 05, 2015, 10:50:13 AM

You should be able to switch options to zombies never run.

I don't see it in the options menu. I do see it when I open the options .sdf in notepad but the variables are weird characters. Do I need to cheat that or how can I change those options in the .sdf file manually?
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #52 on: April 05, 2015, 11:49:22 AM

Can you actually build structures to secure yourself in game, or is this just survival and fighting off zombies? I watched a few playthroughs of the new patch, but it didn't show anything but people running from dogs.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: April 05, 2015, 12:11:53 PM

You should be able to switch options to zombies never run.

I don't see it in the options menu. I do see it when I open the options .sdf in notepad but the variables are weird characters. Do I need to cheat that or how can I change those options in the .sdf file manually?

I think it's listed under mods on your choose game screen. You might have to set at world creation, but I don't think so.

I don't want to spoil things if you are having fun figuring things out yourself Sky, but ask if you want to know more you can do with cans...

@Hawkbit. Oh yes, you build. Think Minecraft, but trying to be more "realworldy"...
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: April 05, 2015, 01:37:56 PM

I'll figure out the cans on my own now, but thanks! :)

This game is probably the best minecraftian I've played other than Terraria/Starbound. Basically adds a Landmark-style voxel world to a minecraft block builder (with physics) and lays a heavy post-apoc dose of Day Z on top. And the graphics are nice, I enjoy it just as a beardy survivalist sim without zombies, hanging out in the cabin near a lake in the woods.

I kinda want to push for more survivalist type content, fishing, canning, etc. Also taking a dose of Project Zomboid where there is a power grid that gets cut after a few months of gametime, so refrigerators and stoves function early on but not later, etc.

I've noticed Mr BW playing a bit lately, and he's also a big minecraft nut.

edit: Ahh, I didn't realize both sets of options were applied to the game, I though it was an either/or thing. Cool.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 01:54:53 PM by Sky »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: April 05, 2015, 03:44:40 PM

Day 3, more fruitless searching for any signs of civilization. No cars, no structures, just a few roads and sparse piles of garbage. Was that single shed all that is left of humanity's despairing works?

I came across a large lake and killed another buck, but angered many locals. The previous night I had good luck expanding my foxhole enough to drop in a campfire and boil a can of water because my wellness started to nosedive before the night was over. So I made a new hole with two little side shelves and a ladder, topped with a hatch and put my sleeping bag in it. One shelf got a campfire, the other a chest. I couldn't make it any deeper or more elaborate, still have a quality 88 stone axe and little in the way of building materials.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=420351261

Had a few hours of light lieft, so I wandered the area, continuing my search for the remnants of humanity. Nothing. I did manage to take three deer and a pig and fill a couple cans with murky water, so at least I was able to get fed and hydrated after nightfall.

I guess I'll use this little hole as a base for my roaming for a bit, then maybe look for a spot to expand it out...if I can get an iron pick, find a cabin with a forge, or hit the jackpot and find a forge book. So far the garbage has only yielded the pistol book and the iron leg recipe. Real tight resources makes it even tougher!

edit: blah, crawling out of the hole this morning and the bug where you launch into the air 60 feet or so and come down to break your leg hit me. With a zed chasing me. Got in a couple good shiv shots to her head and luckily had some cloth in my stash spot for a splint, but now I'm at -20% move for however long. And worried that will happen whenever I leave my safe spot...

edit 2: just happened again, last splint. And I don't have enough health to survive another drop. Looks like this playthrough is over.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 04:35:09 PM by Sky »
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: April 05, 2015, 06:25:42 PM

Huh.. I fell into a lake while trying to refill my water bottle. Then sprained my leg trying to clamber back up on the bank.

Didn't realize it was a bug, since it just seemed like something I would do...
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: April 05, 2015, 07:07:19 PM

Yeah, advice is to turn on the console cheats and use the debuff brokenleg command. And if you fly into the air, noclip to avoid the health loss.

I'm ok with that because Alpha.

More concerning is the random land without buildings, but ehh. It's almost like another layer of hardmode - no forges! Stuck in the stone age. I made a test world and the larger central city ruin shows up, but facing that with stone age weapons and armor? Yikes. Overall I think I want 11.2 here sooner than later.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: April 05, 2015, 08:55:07 PM

You don't need buildings to build a forge. They are actually quite simple, although you have to read a book first to get the recipe.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: April 05, 2015, 10:22:04 PM

Buildings have bookshelves...
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: April 05, 2015, 11:19:57 PM

Buildings have bookshelves...

True, but I have pulled books out of trashbags. Rare drop, but definitely a thing.

Also, the bug just seems to make buildings rare themselves, not non-existent. First game I started after the patch took a couple of hours real time to walk from one house (a cabin on a lake, really a nice design) to the next group of buildings I saw. Second game? I was dropped just outside of a substantial suburb (actually, I was started right on the border of the nuked out city, but I turned and hightailed it away from there pronto -- but the suburb was just minutes down the road).
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: April 06, 2015, 06:32:27 AM

I did find a small town just as evening hit. It was next to a decent sized lake with an island, so I swam out and made a hidey hole on the island...and the zombies busted up the sides of the island, so my grand plan was a bust. I guess I thought they couldn't swim. So I grabbed my stuff to head to a new location near the town for a second stash spot...and got too cocky with my shiv. Didn't even hear the festering corpse come up behind me.

Also learned I need to make a little more room around the sleeping bag in the hole. Spawned half into the wall (of course my leg broke). Managed to crouch and get out, but nonetheless...
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #62 on: April 06, 2015, 08:55:06 AM

I think I read somewhere that zombies can spawn around wherever you are. It's supposed to make sure you can never really secure any area, like an island. It would be nice if it were a server optional setting though.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: April 06, 2015, 09:46:50 AM

I'm glad now I didn't spoil the zombies/water thing! And I don't think they swim so much as walk across the bottom. So now you have to be wary of the water's edge too...

If I recall correctly from the recent patch notes there is a way to designate safe(ish) zones relatively free of infestation. At least for a while. Don't remember how right now, and it may require a full custom build.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: April 06, 2015, 10:13:47 AM

http://www.reddit.com/r/7daystodie/comments/31jf9p/regarding_the_lack_of_pois_in_random_gen/

The funniest part about my short-lived island base was hearing them slowly working on the island through the night and being unable to see them in the dark to shoot them. Then in the daylight I went out and killed a couple but it was a pain, so I decided to move...when I went back in the hole, one had broken through and was all 'oh hi, have you heard the good word'.

Wonder if the engine will support decent water physics, kinda funny seeing the zombie torso through a hole in the bottom of an island...without water rushing in...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 10:16:16 AM by Sky »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: April 06, 2015, 04:15:05 PM

brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: April 07, 2015, 01:53:39 AM

The bugs are awesome, I guess it was bound to happen since going to unity 5 is pretty much redoing the engine.

—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: April 07, 2015, 08:10:59 AM

http://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?24952-Alpha-11-Annihilation-Release-Is-Out&p=233031#post233031

Bad URL, I wasn't posting the bitching thread, rather I was linking to the post on how to configure ore spawn.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: April 07, 2015, 12:37:33 PM

I'm a bit surprised by how smooth the transition has been, honestly. I was expecting total unplayability, and honestly there have been no more glitches for me now than before...
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: April 07, 2015, 01:31:59 PM

It's been pretty smooth for me, given it's alpha I expect a few bugs and mostly laugh them off. We were having a pretty good laugh at the leg breaking stuff, I'd curse and the old lady would ask if I broke my leg again.

Had a bit of difficulty loading it up at lunch, lot of disk thrashing and a unresponsive windows on loading (before the main menu). Finally did load and I was able to play for a couple minutes...just missed my lunch fix. And by fix I mean corpse run.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: 7 days to die (server)  
Jump to: