Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:23:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: 7 days to die (server) 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 7 days to die (server)  (Read 51265 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #70 on: April 08, 2015, 07:30:36 AM

Turns out the unresponsive window was just me being impatient, but there is definitely some issue with it taking a long time to load prior to the main menu.

Tried the fixed biome and rwgmixer xml files. I'm seeing a few more POIs now, though there are still some bugs in there (a suburb of garages and sheds). I have min at 5 and max at 6 (max is capped at 6, I think), didn't want to shrink the biomes under 1200. I tried 600 and it was way too small, 1000 might be good. I like that it's all in xml to play with, though. The biome tweaks were for the ore spawning, I changed everything to 'all' so the new caves form and bear ore but you can also find ore the traditional way. I figure that gives me something to do on those nights I'm stuck inside, I can do some mining rather than have to go searching out caves all the time.

I do have slightly longer nights as I play on 60 minute day cycles instead of the default 40.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: April 08, 2015, 12:05:02 PM

I have my day set for 120 minutes, with 20% night. Seems about right for me, as I do most of my crafting and forging and stuff while hiding away.

I haven't mined yet. At all. I'm sure I will, but for right now I think it would make the game a little *too* much like Minecraft.
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: April 09, 2015, 06:34:04 PM

Hey Survivalists,
We’re serving up an Alpha 11.2 patch today that has many user requested fixes and improvements. Read on to get the skinny.

This should be compatible with saved game but if you experience any problems please re-install the game and start a brand new game.

Server should update later tonight/tomorrow morning.

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: April 10, 2015, 08:38:30 AM

I have my day set for 120 minutes, with 20% night.
Good idea, I set my newest rwg to this and it's nice. I got caught out far from my 1st night survival camp, which was only a tent anyway; so I lightly fortified an information center in a small town with a drug store and hardware store. Almost got around not having forge tech with a couple shovels and a hammer, but no axe nor pick so the search continues. I did get a nice caveman tech score with a purple quality stone axe and club, so I'm not churning out bone shivs every hour.

I'm considering a more serious fortification of the information center for at least the next couple days, adding stairs to the roof and light perimeter defense. My main concern being the increased Z spawn because of the town. I'm avoiding survival holes because the last couple games I've run into way too much leg breaking in small caves for my liking. I know they've fixed one bug, but hey it's pushed me into trying new stuff, so I'm going with it. My plan for if the info center gets overrun is to have another small base with enough gear to get me back in fighting trim to clean out the info center...feeling very much like UO, really.

This game looks so damned good with everything cranked up. Just hunting deer in the forest is one of my favorite gaming experiences ever.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: April 10, 2015, 12:10:19 PM

You might want to consider dropping your sleeping bag in your secondary base. that way if you get overwhelmed you respawn in your secondary base without having to walk far to get back.

Unless of course you're playing Iron Man mode, where if you die you restart the entire game....

ACK!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: April 10, 2015, 01:56:40 PM

I've been doing that thus far anyway :)

I like your idea of the bed in the emergency base.
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: April 11, 2015, 05:54:21 PM

Server reset, map reset, new port #

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: April 21, 2015, 06:10:18 AM

Being deep underground at night always freaks me out, I expect some zombie to Five Nights at Freddy's me. Even with biome cleared, a 65 meter dead drop, and the fact that I will shoot them in the face.

—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: April 21, 2015, 10:44:24 AM

Sorry I haven't been on the server, but thanks for turning me onto the game! Maybe at some point I'll get social but right now I'm enjoying just chilling out solo with my slow Romero mode zombies. I watched some video of the fast zombies and that didn't look very fun to me (though it would be nice to set behavior per biome or POI).

I gave up on anything beyond basic fortification of the info center, too needlessly big. Next block over was a stone 3 story building, so I started fortifying it and adding a spike moat. Had my first test morning of day 6 when a couple spiders showed up and saw me working. Definitely needs some gore block maintenance built in, but it did make short work of the bulk of the hordes. Not sure I can finish my walkway before nightfall and I have a feeling day 7 will be hectic...my first day 7 coming!

Right now it's pretty basic, reinforcing the structure with rebar, added a panic room with steel doors and ladder to all floors. Also descends to the tunnel I'm making between the two buildings (since my loot, small garden and forges are in the info center yet). So slow with my poor pickaxe, luckily I found a blue one on my last scavenge trip (I'm level 16 or 17 now, so can't make good ones).
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: April 25, 2015, 07:22:14 AM

Had to go get more iron (and stone) on day 6, and crashed while bringing supplies from my base to my new fortified base (sleeping bag stays at the old info center base), lost a bunch of iron and almost all my stone, so progress was slowed. But I was able to finish the tunnel and get enough set up to hit the ground running on day 7. Added the full walkway with murder holes/ gore block maintenance and finished replacing the prefab stone with rebar for the first floor.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=431470824

It's a good thing, too...by noon on day 7 the zeds were getting thick and I started getting bombarded with spider zombies, just getting a bit too difficult to work outside. I rounded them up and brought them to the fortified base and let 'em enjoy the spikes. But the stragglers who stayed at the info center put a beating on it. Definitely would not survive the night there intact.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: April 25, 2015, 10:00:04 AM

Got lucky with a last minute round of scavenging before dark on day 7! Hunting rifle! I had a few nice parts, but not enough to make a rifle. Used the parts to take apart the green rifle and built a blue one...which helped a LOT during the night. Stronghold held up well, though I'm going to build more walkways to get some exp during the night and maybe a faster way down to get loot, I'm losing almost all the loot currently.

Anyway, it was fun having my first night defending rather than hiding. Added 3 more shots to my steam directory.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: April 25, 2015, 01:01:41 PM

Afternoon of day six for me, just after a bizarrely quiet night five. No hordes at all, not even the sounds of lone wanderers.

The fridge is well stocked with venison and pork and rabbit and beer. Pantry is loaded with corn and potatoes and blueberries from my rooftop garden. Lots of crossbow bolts and ammo for the guns (pistol, hunting rifle and shotgun). Medicine cabinet stuffed with antibiotics and first aid kits. Bottles and bottles of boiled water and goldenrod tea. And coffee. Only five jars, but it'll have to do.

Going to try a fully passive defense. I've got layered concrete and brick walls with reinforced metal siding. My escape plan if I have to flee is a highly risky one involving jumping from rooftop to rooftop, so I really hope the walls hold and I don't run out of ammo if they get in.

I've been iron manning this play, with no deaths or infections at all.

Wish me luck.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: April 25, 2015, 07:45:04 PM

That happened to me one day, I had the spiders show up early and then none showed at night. I believe it's a bug in how the spawn AI is working currently.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #83 on: April 26, 2015, 02:48:40 AM

What happens if you sirvive the 7th day?

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #84 on: April 26, 2015, 07:28:12 AM

After day seven the cycle continues. I've been playing with my base in town in the hospital, it's like day 7 all the time. I got lucky and built an auger on day 3, most of my time is spent looking for more gas now.

brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: April 26, 2015, 07:49:29 AM

After day seven the cycle continues. I've been playing with my base in town in the hospital, it's like day 7 all the time. I got lucky and built an auger on day 3, most of my time is spent looking for more gas now.

Yes, however the 7 day hordes become stronger and stronger, until day 49, when everything resets again.

—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: April 26, 2015, 09:07:15 AM

I got lucky and built an auger on day 3, most of my time is spent looking for more gas now.
Nice, I've yet to find one in the two towns I scaveneged thus far.

Day 8 saw my raised farm built, with a catwalk and tunnel to it from the fortified base. So I've got some corn in the ground (and coffee!). More crops as I get to it, I laid in foundations for double the size, hopefully cut back on my reliance on hunting a little. I enjoy the hunting part, but toward the end of week 1 my build schedule was pretty tight and I didn't have much time to refresh the larder!
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: April 26, 2015, 02:08:35 PM

He might be in the bombed out city, which is too rich for my blood right now.

Probably forever, unless I can craft a powered suit.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: April 26, 2015, 02:14:22 PM

Forgive my complete ignorance about this game ( haven't read much of this thread), but is the world static or procedurally generated?
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: April 26, 2015, 02:52:13 PM

Forgive my complete ignorance about this game ( haven't read much of this thread), but is the world static or procedurally generated?

Both. There is a "story" world which is static, and then as many random worlds as you want.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: April 26, 2015, 02:58:38 PM

Ah ok, that makes sense. I have a soft spot for zombie survival games in spite of the fact that I should be well and sick of it by now.  Maybe this is good steam sale fodder.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: April 26, 2015, 05:55:29 PM

It's pretty well done and the degree you can customize the single player with xml is nice. No ragrets here, in fact it's already one of my highest played steam library games (since most of my Civ IV/GTA IV/Minecraft is not counted, hah).

The story map is way better fior layout and POIs, but the random map is what is mostly played and developed. Currently ore isn't spawning on the static map unless you config it to, due to the addition of ore in caves (and caves only spawn on random).
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #92 on: April 27, 2015, 06:57:10 AM

I got lucky and built an auger on day 3, most of my time is spent looking for more gas now.
Nice, I've yet to find one in the two towns I scaveneged thus far.

Day 8 saw my raised farm built, with a catwalk and tunnel to it from the fortified base. So I've got some corn in the ground (and coffee!). More crops as I get to it, I laid in foundations for double the size, hopefully cut back on my reliance on hunting a little. I enjoy the hunting part, but toward the end of week 1 my build schedule was pretty tight and I didn't have much time to refresh the larder!
I've only found auger parts in cars, and there's not many cars after the big patch it seems. Just have to get lucky.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: April 27, 2015, 07:28:34 AM

Yep, decided to spend day 9 scavenging, cleaned out a small town...one set of handlebars. But I did get a purple knife and a purple upgrade part for my hunting rifle, so it wasn't a terrible trip. Still, a lot of time invested. I'm using a lot of concrete for my base now and building out the subterranean portion, so an auger would really move things along. Just happy I found that blue pick, the orange one was making me nuts. I can craft yellow reliably currently, though I need to try a bit more crafting after that town scavenge, so many waves of zombies I leveled up a few times there.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #94 on: May 09, 2015, 09:22:29 PM

This is on sale for 50% off at the Humble Bundle Store today. I went ahead and picked it up.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #95 on: May 11, 2015, 12:09:46 PM

Does anyone else get motion sickness while playing this game?

Also, where the fuck do I find sticks?

croaker69
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: May 11, 2015, 04:34:09 PM

You can get sticks for low effort from bushes (punch with fists if you haven't made your first stone axe) or convert planks into sticks if you are chopping down trees.

What may at first appear to be an insurmountable obstacle will in time be seen for what it really is: an impenetrable barrier.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: May 11, 2015, 08:28:31 PM

When you start a new world you get a couple hours grace period if you stay in a small radius of where you spawn. Loot the containers closest to it.

Punch grass, get a couple bundles. Punch bushes, get a couple sticks. Gather a few rocks. Make stone axe (just use the search bar in the crafting/inventory window to find stuff initially). Your first axe is always quality 1 and sucks. Make a few more until you get a quality 30+, which you can repair with a stone (putting the item and repair material in the crafting grid).

Look at the recipe for wooden bow and arrows. Make those. Don't forget to 're'load the bow, it won't shoot until you hit 'r' once. Shoot animals. If zeds turn up shoot them in the head.

Get a bone from an animal or loot and make a bone shiv for a decent early close combat weapon for slow zombies or when you're low on ammo.

Fat guys are tough to take down, and run from dogs (stay away from wasteland biomes in general). Snow zombies are tough like fatties.

If you get some cotton, make a bedroll so you can respawn close to your corpse. Otherwise it just respawns you...somewhere.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: May 21, 2015, 11:59:10 AM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #99 on: May 21, 2015, 12:31:05 PM

BEARS! GODLESS GODDAMN KILLING MACHINES!

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: June 11, 2015, 06:24:08 PM

Decided to commit Steam sale sacrilege and just buy this before it went on daily sale.  Is anyone still running a server?
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: June 11, 2015, 07:15:18 PM

Decided to commit Steam sale sacrilege and just buy this before it went on daily sale.  Is anyone still running a server?
I have one up, which I, and I doubt anyone else has bothered to log into for a month...

—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: June 11, 2015, 07:21:57 PM

My first few attempts have ended in horrific deaths at the hands of the bloated zombies.  Damn things take a beating.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: June 12, 2015, 12:38:01 PM

I have one up, which I, and I doubt anyone else has bothered to log into for a month...

I tried to play on it a few times, but the lag was just too bad, even at off peak hours. Not your fault, I have the same problem with Minecraft, but Minecraft is a bit more forgiving...

@Malakili, far be it for me to tell you how to play, but....

There is very little to gain by killing zombies early on. Little loot, and what you can find has a better chance to be found in random trash bags. At least in the early game before you've put together some nice weapons it's better to try and avoid the big zombies, and for goodness sake don't go near the bombed out city!

That said, I notice we now have levels, and so we're probably getting XP from the zombies we kill now(which I'm not happy with -- but oh well).
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: June 12, 2015, 03:36:41 PM

Level system is a WIP but good things to come of it imo.

WHen you intially spawn, there is a couple hour window where you can harvest without zombies spawning if you stay in the area you spawned in. Use it to gather stuff, make your stone axe, loot containers, etc.

With the new level system (as of last I played a month or so ago), your first item will suck. It's something like Quality = your level +0 - +50. So make a couple axes until you get a decent one and then use rocks to repair it rather than breaking it.

Bone shivs are ok early weapons on easy (don't judge me), but get a bow and arrows and practice with them.

Fatties have a ton of hp as you learned. Spider zombies are so named because they can climb walls...but they also howl to summon a horde wave if they see you. Good times.

I love the game and have a bunch of hours just building up my first learning base (I linked earlier in the thread). I'll probably dip in every major release to play some more.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: 7 days to die (server)  
Jump to: