Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:44:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Jury Duty Problem 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jury Duty Problem  (Read 24466 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #70 on: March 26, 2015, 09:19:05 AM

You'd get more sympathy from this den of assholes if you hadn't admitted to cockblocking the court for two years.

As such, SWIM IN YOUR LIES!  why so serious?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #71 on: March 26, 2015, 03:43:36 PM

I definitely would not have gone to my graduation if not for my daughter. Both she and my wife had to put up with me being somewhat absent for the past three years. I know she'll find it boring as hell, but we want to show her the end result of working towards a goal. It's as much for her and my wife as it is for me.

No offense but there's some slight horseshit in there. I would assume that the end goal you were working towards by going back to school was not to attend a graduation ceremony, and there are better ways to show your daughter the value of getting an education. Also if you want to teach her a life lesson here, you could always teach her that when you have responsibilities you should take care of them even when it's not convenient for you.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #72 on: March 26, 2015, 03:59:36 PM

You'd get more sympathy from this den of assholes if you hadn't admitted to cockblocking the court for two years.

As such, SWIM IN YOUR LIES!  why so serious?

f13: it's whatever the exact opposite of a hugbox is.    why so serious?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #73 on: March 26, 2015, 05:59:11 PM

A hugbox with barbed wire.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: March 26, 2015, 06:00:21 PM

A hugbox with barbed wire.
...and razor blades.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: March 27, 2015, 12:54:13 AM

I vote for Maulbox

Maulings are like hugs from angry bears.  awesome, for real
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: March 27, 2015, 01:10:09 AM

I definitely would not have gone to my graduation if not for my daughter. Both she and my wife had to put up with me being somewhat absent for the past three years. I know she'll find it boring as hell, but we want to show her the end result of working towards a goal. It's as much for her and my wife as it is for me.

No offense but there's some slight horseshit in there. I would assume that the end goal you were working towards by going back to school was not to attend a graduation ceremony, and there are better ways to show your daughter the value of getting an education. Also if you want to teach her a life lesson here, you could always teach her that when you have responsibilities you should take care of them even when it's not convenient for you.

Ooooh, this is good.  Do this.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #77 on: March 31, 2015, 08:44:44 AM

Whew. Luckily the judge wrote a following letter that grants a deferral for another year. I set the makeup date for the week after we get back, so all worked out. The judge actually wrote a very nice letter that congratulated me on finishing school.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: March 31, 2015, 03:46:24 PM

I always thought they should go with a simpler solution: Anyone can defer any time they want with no reason required. 

Deferrals would cost $10 for a one week deferral, $20 for two weeks, $30 for up to a month, $40 for up to two months, and $20 for each additional two months in the deferral.  Defer for a year for $140.  People serving on a jury get paid out of the proceeds from deferral pay.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: April 02, 2015, 07:26:26 AM

So people with money can defer and people that don't have money to spare are fucked? I don't find this to be a fair plan on first glance. Maybe I misinterpreted how poor your poor people are, but I remember reading getting paper id is an election hurdle for them because they can't afford a paper id?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 07:27:58 AM by Tebonas »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: April 02, 2015, 09:13:04 AM

That's not a good idea.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: April 02, 2015, 08:23:50 PM

To each their own.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #82 on: April 04, 2015, 06:26:14 AM

Unless you're just wrong, in which case, I bet there's some MCU news to be tracked down.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: April 04, 2015, 07:51:39 AM

Jury duty is already stacked against the poor.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #84 on: April 04, 2015, 11:52:18 AM

Actually its not because poor people have a fairly lousy rate of voter registration or DMV registration participation that generate the pool. Richer folks also tend to show up at a higher rate when summoned.  Juries are older, whiter, richer, and more likely to be government workers or retired as compared to both the population and wildly different compared to the defendant pool.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: April 04, 2015, 12:14:03 PM

I just meant more in the fact that miiddle and upper class usually gets paid from their work for time on Jury duty, while poor is usually hourly workers who are forced not to work those days for a measly $15 a day.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Jury Duty Problem  
Jump to: