Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:46:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Jury Duty Problem 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jury Duty Problem  (Read 24458 times)
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

on: March 18, 2015, 08:48:01 AM

I've been deferring a jury duty summons for the past two years because it conflicts with my university lectures. This year I've been selected for a time when I'm going to be out of state for my graduation. Unfortunately, I can't defer and my excuse (being out of state) was denied.

Does anyone know what happens when you don't show? It looks like it's a misdemeanor, but I want to know what I'm getting myself into.  http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?Cite=2.36.170
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 09:00:28 AM

In Pennsylvania they can make you go to court.  If you don't have a good reason for missing jury duty, they can put you in jail for a couple days -which they never do, fine you $50 to $1000, make you pick up trash on the roadside, or some other lame community service rubbish.  I've heard that in some states they charge you if your absence if it caused a delay.  Someone told me they were charged $650 for delays caused by him not showing up in spite of having a good reason for not turning up.

Maybe you could write them a letter explaining why you're not showing up just to have it on file in case they make you go to court?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 09:48:46 AM

When I was called for a time I was out of state, they were happy to reschedule for a definite time later.  Being out of state was not an excuse, but the fact I was willing to agree to a specific date 6 weeks later was fine.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 10:09:18 AM

Thanks, all. I'm currently writing the judge that oversees this to see about getting another deferment. Of course, because the courts system is still in the Stone Age, I have to snail mail the letter.

It's pretty amazing, the guy that handles the excusals straight up denied me. I told him I spent $1000+ on airfare to get my family to Ohio so we can attend my graduation, of which I've worked my ass off for the past three years. The guy didn't even acknowledge it, his response: "I am unable to postpone this obligation a third time."

Geez. Guy must be a hit at parties.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 10:15:14 AM

When you request a deferment, offer a time that you absolutely can serve.  Hard to see anyone getting charged with avoiding jury duty after offering to serve jury duty.

I have never played WoW.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 10:43:14 AM

If you've been putting them off for a solid 2 years I can understand why they've lost their patience.  Here they make you reschedule within six months.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 10:57:29 AM

It's odd they took deferrals anyways.  Here if you're a full-time student you're completely excused until the next time you're selected.  (And if you're still a student, you can get excused again.)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 11:16:43 AM

If you've been putting them off for a solid 2 years I can understand why they've lost their patience.  Here they make you reschedule within six months.

Pretty much. You cried wolf twice already. You're going to get burned eventually.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 11:36:42 AM

I'm going to go with, "You're hosed and they'll put a warrant out for you so don't get a speeding ticket." However I've never been called so I have no experience here.

I'm willing to bet you'll get double burned and be put on a long trial now instead of some low-level case.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 12:24:13 PM

Always a ray of sunshine, you guys.  awesome, for real

Lots of good advice in here, much appreciated. I'm going to add my return date to the letter like shiz mentioned; hopefully will appear a bit more sincere. It's weird; they don't excuse students at all in Washington.

Another wierd thing? I was never called once in Ohio, yet both my wife and I were called within six months of moving to Seattle.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 12:30:44 PM

I'm willing to bet you'll get double burned and be put on a long trial now instead of some low-level case.
Not that I know anything about the internals of the court system, but I'd be mildly surprised if the sheer amount of bureaucracy involved allows that to be anywhere near worth the effort unless someone on the inside is REALLY pissed off.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 12:35:05 PM

I didn't mean out of somne deliberate spite. I meant out of dodging karma. She's a bitch, you see.  Luck's run out and now you get double plus bad!

But I'm a positive person like that.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 01:22:33 PM

Always a ray of sunshine, you guys.  awesome, for real

Lots of good advice in here, much appreciated. I'm going to add my return date to the letter like shiz mentioned; hopefully will appear a bit more sincere. It's weird; they don't excuse students at all in Washington.

Another wierd thing? I was never called once in Ohio, yet both my wife and I were called within six months of moving to Seattle.

No, they don't excuse students at all in some states. I had to serve on jury duty one week before my PhD defense. Thankfully, jury duty only lasted a couple of days...it'd already taken about six months to schedule my defense, due to frequent travel of two of the panel.
WayAbvPar

Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 01:52:42 PM

If you can contact the bailiff for the judge directly you may have more luck. Including your availability times after your trip is probably a good plan as well.

King County is tough to get excused a lot of times. I claimed hardship when I was in a pool since the trial was going to go a month plus and I am literally the only person that could do my job (I was going home after court and working several hours on a crisis). I had to ask the judge directly in open court or selection or whatever in order to get out of it. Thankfully he had mercy on me.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 04:01:29 PM

It's funny.  I got called, made myself available, and then the whole cycle passed without them actually needing me during my term  awesome, for real
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 04:08:06 PM

In Houston, at least, being a full-time student OR a parent of a kid under a certain age exempts you. (The latter, I suppose, because most parents either have to pick up, drop off, or otherwise arrange for someone to watch kids under that age so they spend more time excusing parents than actually using them on jury duty).

Last two times I've been down there, I've never gotten past the first step. I suppose that'll change eventually.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 06:07:06 PM

The summons usually indicates what to expect if you do not show.  Not to be that guy, but did you read the paper they sent you?

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 06:33:58 PM

Yep! There's nothing on the summons, but the website states that it's a crime to intentionally not appear as directed (a misdemeanor). When I asked for a deferral, the guy denied me. So I asked him what happens if I don't show, his one-liner was "I can’t give you any legal advice."

My wife is an attorney and she said they'll likely issue a bench warrant, then she'll represent me and explain the circumstances. We're just hoping to avoid all that shit when I can postpone for a few weeks.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 06:57:24 PM

Your wife is a lawyer but you are asking the internet for advice?  I know we have a few lawyers here and I assume they are not answering because they can get in trouble for out of state advice plus you are basically asking what will happen if you intentionally break the law.  No one here who actually knows the answer to your question can answer it.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 07:11:16 PM

Your wife is a lawyer but you are asking the internet for advice?

F13 is moving up in the world.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 08:11:38 PM

I hadn't chatted with her about it when I did the initial post. I had an hour of rage this morning when the guy denied me and was trying to determine if I should go full-Nerf or not.

Sure, its generally bad to take Internet advice, but the majority of posters here are adults and some people have gone through similar odd things in their lives. This forum is some weird type of litmus test, a W.W.F13.D?. It doesn't mean I'm going to pick the first answer and go with it.

I guess that's my awkward way of saying I like you folks and thanks for the opinions. You all might eat your young and thoroughly enjoy poking bears with sticks, but overall you're a good group of people.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 18, 2015, 10:28:32 PM

Move to another state under an assumed name. It's the only way.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 18, 2015, 10:30:04 PM

Here is a list of non extradition countries.   awesome, for real

Afghanistan, Algeria, Andorra, Angola, Armenia, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Bosnia and

Herzegovina, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Burma, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, the Central

African Republic, Chad, China, Comoros, Congo (Kinshasa), Congo (Brazzaville), Djibouti, Equatorial

Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Indonesia, Ivory Coast, Kazakhstan,

Kosovo, Kuwait, Laos, Lebanon, Libya, Macedonia, Madagascar, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands,

Mauritania, Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nepal,

Niger, Oman, Qatar, Russia, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé & Príncipe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia,

Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu,

Vatican, Vietnam and Yemen.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 18, 2015, 11:22:53 PM

Jesus, that list. What are my best options, Russia? Maldives and the Marshall islands are pretty, but I'm not cut out for island living. Maybe Vietnam?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 19, 2015, 12:09:37 AM

I guess that's my awkward way of saying I like you folks and thanks for the opinions. You all might eat your young and thoroughly enjoy poking bears with sticks, but overall you're a good group of people.

Love Letters

Also, WWF13D needs to become a thing.  Those are always the most entertaining threads around here, by far.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 19, 2015, 12:32:32 AM

Also, WWF13D needs to become a thing. 
I want that on a shirt.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #26 on: March 19, 2015, 12:36:37 AM

Don't Do What Donny F13 Does

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #27 on: March 19, 2015, 06:05:30 AM

WWND - What would Nerf Do

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 19, 2015, 06:35:01 AM

We all know he would just burn that mutha fucka down, Pookie.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #29 on: March 19, 2015, 06:50:28 AM

Jesus, that list. What are my best options, Russia? Maldives and the Marshall islands are pretty, but I'm not cut out for island living. Maybe Vietnam?

Madagascar. You will survive the impending plague and be around to repopulate the Earth.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #30 on: March 19, 2015, 07:13:00 AM

Montenegro is actually really nice.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #31 on: March 19, 2015, 07:55:18 AM

We all know he would just burn that mutha fucka down, Pookie.

I feel like Nerf is the embodiment of a Country song rap battle.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 19, 2015, 08:21:18 AM

If the Caymans nixed extradition, I think embezzling would skyrocket...

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: March 19, 2015, 08:45:30 AM

I recommend avoiding Vanuatu unless you want to help with rebuilding efforts.  I supposed you could make a personal edition of Survivor:  Hawkbit go Islander

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #34 on: March 19, 2015, 08:50:43 AM

I think jury duty was more interesting than any of my graduations.  Although, Steve Kerr speaking was probably more entertaining than the expert testifying about the meth contents of a baggie.

-Rasix
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Jury Duty Problem  
Jump to: