Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:20:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Terry Pratchett has passed away 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Terry Pratchett has passed away  (Read 10547 times)
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: March 13, 2015, 10:22:38 AM

I'll admit that the only thing I ever read of his was Good Omens (though I expect to change that this year). I only read it once and that's been close to 20 years now. But holy shit, that book was so incredibly funny and good that there are parts of it I still remember to this day.
If you're gonna start his other stuff, I'm pretty sure we have enough people here to set up a statistically significant poll on "Where should you start". :)
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #36 on: March 13, 2015, 10:35:10 AM

I started with Small Gods and Night Watch, probably two of the worst books to begin with.  I'd say read the initial two books (Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic) to get a sense of the world, then Guards! Guards!
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #37 on: March 13, 2015, 11:01:54 AM

The first two novels aren't IMO a good place to start. There is a very definite improvement after the series gets up and running. The Colour of Magic and Equal Rites were the first two and they are funny but in a more slapstick way that relied a lot more on punnery than later ones. I'd say they are his weakest books by far. By about Mort or Pyramids, Terry's writing style had matured a lot and the books, while still being funny, became a lot more thoughtful and characters started to be better defined. The character of Death for example changes quite a lot from his first introduction to his starring role in Mort. In any case there are several different storylines, each of which can be read as standalone series in their own right, they share a setting and some background characters but they take place in geographically different areas with entirely different protagonists.

This handy chart summarises them quite nicely.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 12:19:34 PM by IainC »

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
WayAbvPar

Reply #38 on: March 13, 2015, 11:19:08 AM

I haven't read any of his stuff yet. I was thinking it was Terry Brooks that died and couldn't understand why anyone gave a shit  why so serious?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: March 13, 2015, 11:38:39 AM

If only there was a way to resize pictures.

If only we had a wheelbarrow !

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: March 13, 2015, 12:08:03 PM

I could sit here and nit-pick the hell out of that chart but I've seen much worse.

The Shepherd's Crown, his final novel and the last Tiffany Aching book will be out in autumn this year. And I thought 'I Shall Wear Midnight' was already throat-clenchingly poignant...

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #41 on: March 13, 2015, 12:10:19 PM

Most of the time when picking up a new author or series, I just go in chronological or series order, regardless of whether the novel is a prequel or shitty. I do the say with albums.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: March 13, 2015, 12:34:07 PM

It's not the best way to do Pratchett, to be honest, but if you're going to stick with them, it'll work.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: March 13, 2015, 01:22:01 PM

You cannot min/max Pratchett books. While some books may be better read after others (the most relevant that come to mind are the first few Guards books and Witches Abroad/Lords and Ladies) you can pretty much read them in any order. A colleague at work came to Pratchett late and now reads whatever he can get his hands on in whatever order. It annoys the fuck out of the geek in me but quite frankly, it doesn't diminish our chats about the books. Also, I know that he's still got some great fucking books still to read and I can't wait to share that joy with him.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Don't neglect Pratchett's teenage and non Discworld books either. The Johnny Maxwell books are well past a re-read in this house and Nation is terrific. IMO of course.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #44 on: March 13, 2015, 01:23:53 PM

I like chronological order simply because that way you ensure you get all the references he throws in to previous books in other 'lines'.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #45 on: March 13, 2015, 01:41:58 PM

I'm probably weird: I actually started with Strata, which is not at all a Discworld novel even though it introduces it. But I had burned out on Fantasy because of the wasteland of Tolkien imitators and "Parallel Universe Portal" dreck that made up most of the genre in the 80's, and Strata is Sci-Fi. Discworld was my gateway drug back into Fantasy, the idea that it could be fun and funny instead of ponderous and "Epic" wouldn't soak into the rest of the genre for another decade.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: March 13, 2015, 01:56:56 PM

I adore Strata. Long, long overdue a lavish reprint. Which, I guess, is more likely now.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #47 on: March 13, 2015, 03:03:27 PM

I think I started with Guards! Guards! which, at least for me, was probably one of his best.  After that I went chronological and the books were still great even if I didn't think they were as perfect as Guards! Guards!.  Out of the dozens of books of his I have read I only found two a chore to get through, Monstrous Regiment and the goblin one.  Fake edit: Snuff.

You don't have to read discworld itself in order but you should probably start with the first book of any given multi-book series like Rincewind, night watch, witches, Lipwig.  The only thing you would lose bouncing around series is the evolution of Vetinari, which would be a shame because after death he is my favourite.

I've never read his young adult books, maybe I will try those.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: March 13, 2015, 03:23:23 PM

I started with Hogfather, because I got it from one of those mail book club things that I'd forgotten to cancel. Loved it, and read a decent chunk of Discworld thereafter. Shame Terry's gone, but better now than after his mind fell apart.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: March 13, 2015, 04:10:04 PM

I had a problem with Monstrous Regiment at first. Having finished it, and later reread it, it became one of my favorites.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: March 13, 2015, 05:10:49 PM

I started with Guards Guards! and kept on, still need to read Raising Steam. Reading the discussion between him and Death got my eyes cleaned out of the eye drops I had.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: March 13, 2015, 05:24:35 PM

I started with Guards Guards! and kept on, still need to read Raising Steam. Reading the discussion between him and Death got my eyes cleaned out of the eye drops I had.
The way Death has evolved has probably been one of the best parts of his work. Then again, who else is better suited to look at the big picture than Death?
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: March 13, 2015, 07:13:53 PM

Most of the time when picking up a new author or series, I just go in chronological or series order, regardless of whether the novel is a prequel or shitty. I do the say with albums.

As others have said, if you're fairly determined to get through it that's a fine way to read them (there really isn't a wrong way) but just be aware you'll be starting with some of this weakest books. The writing is more slapstick and they're really pastiches of fantasy literature at the time. The world isn't particularly deep, the plot is barely anything and the jokes get thrown into your face with big flashing signs going 'I am a joke'. They're not really bad books by any stretch but they're definitely not the Discworld fans think of.

Also some characters or series don't jive with certain people. If you're not liking it two books in then feel free to drop that and take up another series. Except for the Guards series. Everyone of sound mind loves the Guards books.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: March 13, 2015, 07:56:56 PM

Also some characters or series don't jive with certain people. If you're not liking it two books in then feel free to drop that and take up another series. Except for the Guards series. Everyone of sound mind loves the Guards books.
It's the only universally accepted test of literary taste.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: March 14, 2015, 12:47:38 AM

I tend to go chronological as well.  The first two books might be weak in comparison to his other stuff, but I still loved them.  When I first read Color of Magic, I had no idea what kind of book it was and who the author was....I thought it was just some typical fantasy novel.  I even remember the first bit of slapstick involving Rincewind.  I had to go back and read the paragraph like three times just to realize what had just happened.  And his use of the footnotes - I have seen a few other attempts to pull it off, but his were genius comedy, even in the early going.  And while Rincewind might be in the weakest books in general, he is still somehow my favorite character overall.

So I would actually recommend starting with the first two.  Enjoy it for what it is, and realize that it will only get better.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: March 14, 2015, 04:06:37 PM

And while Rincewind might be in the weakest books in general, he is still somehow my favorite character overall.

I suppose it depends what you're looking for, I've always thought his Rincewind stuff was his funniest.  It was actual parody of fantasy cliches so it worked really well with the setting, instead of the setting seeming like a bit of a hindrance (like it comes off as in some of the Vimes and Ankh-Morpork stories).  But in terms of actual plot and story and drama and developed characters and stuff, yeah, it's probably not as strong as his other arcs.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: March 14, 2015, 04:53:17 PM

The Librarian and Death of Rats are my favorite characters I think. Maybe because both can make a single word mean so much  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: March 14, 2015, 05:38:25 PM

Wyrd Sisters was my first Discworld book, then Moving Pictures; I'd read all the books from the Bromeliad previously, and The Carpet People.

Small Gods is probably still my favourite of them all, but I'm quite tempted to do a complete Discworld re-read sometime and actually rank them all.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: March 14, 2015, 06:33:24 PM

And while Rincewind might be in the weakest books in general, he is still somehow my favorite character overall.

I suppose it depends what you're looking for, I've always thought his Rincewind stuff was his funniest.  It was actual parody of fantasy cliches so it worked really well with the setting, instead of the setting seeming like a bit of a hindrance (like it comes off as in some of the Vimes and Ankh-Morpork stories).  But in terms of actual plot and story and drama and developed characters and stuff, yeah, it's probably not as strong as his other arcs.

I'd say Guards! Guards! is about as fantasy parody as you can get while doing a really fantastic job of utterly ignoring the story tropes for nearly every cliched character in it. Vimes and the other guards obviously grew much more as characters than Rincewind too. I think Colon and Nobbs would be my favourite Discworld characters, though Granny Weatherwax is a close second (which is saying something since I didn't even like the Witches novels that much outside of her).

Oh God I'm going to have to start a reread at some point, might need to see if there's a cheap deal on Kindle or something since all my books are on another continent.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: March 14, 2015, 11:40:46 PM

The Librarian and Death of Rats are my favorite characters I think. Maybe because both can make a single word mean so much  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Ook.  Ook.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: March 15, 2015, 08:02:32 AM

It's funny, I've been reading Pratchett for years -- but listening to people talk about his books has led me to a few tidbits I never actually noticed. Like one of the benefits the Librarian has is he can now learn "knowledge men were not meant to learn".

Or that the reason Granny flipped out so much when the invitation for the christening/naming of the kid didn't arrive? Because Granny knows damn well how the old witch is supposed to react to being snubbed when a child is born.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #61 on: March 15, 2015, 02:22:26 PM

I started way back when with Sourcery.  Absolutely loved it, and didn't even realize that books came before it.  Rincewind stuff still remains my favorite no matter what people say, though all of it is great (watchmen stuff obviously being some it the top). 

I have a small collection of his books, but it was always a pain to find his stuff at the used book stores because so many people wanted them.  In Berkely they even had a small sign on the book shelf where his shit should have been saying they were paying even more money for anything of his, since it sold out so fast.  I had been thinking of going on a buying binge when I go on home leave, but with this news it will be impossible to get any of his old books.  Guess it's time for me to see how much it will cost to get every single discworld book as a kindle/ebook now.....

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #62 on: March 16, 2015, 04:16:32 AM

So very sad.

The Watch series is my favorite of the major discworld storylines, and I did find his first few books a bit rough, but they're an interesting part of the overall mythology and worth reading at some point.  Small Gods (which I just started re-reading) and Good Omens are favorite standalone stories.  I don't think I've *disliked* anything he's written, though some books don't grab me the way others do. 

He definitely is best when it's clear he's writing in a righteous fury about something deeply broken in our world -- utter agreement with Gaiman's assessment.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: March 16, 2015, 06:34:44 AM

Damn, thats really sad. Thats the second time after Freddy Mercury I really feel a personal loss with the death of a celebrity.

My favourite books were the Watch ones as well, with the Witch books a close second. Farewell Pterry, I'll go and I finally read those Tiffany Aching Books in your honor!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Terry Pratchett has passed away  
Jump to: