Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:26:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2015 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 39 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2015  (Read 243894 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

on: February 16, 2015, 01:46:02 PM

http://deadspin.com/how-else-did-the-49ers-screw-up-their-coaching-search-1686060155

Heh Niners. How I loathe you and how happy it makes me to watch you struggle.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 01:48:27 PM

Reminds me of Dallas awesome, for real
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 01:50:50 PM

Reminds me of Dallas awesome, for real

Dallas has a better excuse. We're run by an insane person hell-bent on stretching his face to the limit, getting blown by whores in a bathroom, all while on the phone to discuss our draft options.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 02:01:21 PM

And the Niners are owned by people who don't give a shit about football. Who has it worse?
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 02:17:16 PM

The Browns.

beer geek.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 02:17:55 PM

Yeah, okay.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 02:20:45 PM

Ohhhhh, I see.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 02:23:15 PM

I mean at this point following the Browns is just being stubborn. Anybody and everybody would encourage you to jump off that failboat and find a better team. I just assume you enjoy pain and let you have your fun watching your dreams burn to death like a polluted river.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 07:44:41 PM

http://deadspin.com/how-else-did-the-49ers-screw-up-their-coaching-search-1686060155

Heh Niners. How I loathe you and how happy it makes me to watch you struggle.

It's pretty bad when Harbaugh comes out of this looking like the good guy.
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 08:10:55 PM

I mean at this point following the Browns is just being stubborn. Anybody and everybody would encourage you to jump off that failboat and find a better team. I just assume you enjoy pain and let you have your fun watching your dreams burn to death like a polluted river.

Blood runs deep.

Browns are to football what the Cubs are to baseball and the Leafs are to hockey.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 08:30:57 PM

"Crytal Meth is okay, after all, people do heroine too!"

beer geek.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 11:23:18 AM

beer geek.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 11:47:59 AM

Can't wait until the Rams move and all these teams fuck off with their WE'RE GOING TO LA IF YOU DON'T BUILD US A STADIUM shit.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 12:09:11 PM

I don't like it when Trippy forces us into a new thread before the Combine! BOOOOOOOO!

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 12:30:32 PM

I love that the damn Raiders are thinking of moving to LA again. Like that worked out so well the first time. How would the NFL best show that they hate the city of LA? By allowing the Raiders to move there, share a stadium with the Chargers and then move one of them into the NFC West.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 12:37:04 PM

Having recently watched "Straight outta L.A." during my 30 for 30 marathon, the reason the Raiders in LA thing didn't work out was the same reason anything with the Raiders didn't work out: Al Davis.

He actually had everything  basically set up to build in the location the Rams are saying they are going to build but when the league approached him about the possibility of sharing the stadium with another team he promptly said "fuck you, back to Oakland I go!"

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 02:39:15 PM

Can't wait until the Rams move and all these teams fuck off with their WE'RE GOING TO LA IF YOU DON'T BUILD US A STADIUM shit.

WE'RE GOING TO ST. LOUIS IF YOU DON'T BUILD US A STADIUM!  awesome, for real

Over and out.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #17 on: February 21, 2015, 10:09:24 PM

Blood runs deep.

Browns are to football what the Cubs are to baseball and the Leafs are to hockey.

The Leafs have won a cup in my lifetime.

The Jets... Oh, the Jets. Browns fans got nothing on us.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 12:18:02 AM

Oh, you Jets fans can just drag out that lush Namath.  How many Super Bowls have the Browns been to again?

Over and out.
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 05:06:05 AM

Oh, you Jets fans can just drag out that lush Namath.  How many Super Bowls have the Browns been to again?

None.  Ohhhhh, I see. But we were bad asses in the 40s and 50s I've been told...

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 02:24:54 AM

I mean, it's not like Ohio residents don't have another option to root for.  You could just start rooting for the Beng....oh wait.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 04:15:14 AM

No. Fuck those river trolls (that goes for Pittsburgh too).  awesome, for real

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #22 on: February 23, 2015, 05:47:58 AM

Like I said, at this point it's just being stubborn. Just root for Green Bay, you get agony with dashes of success, and the product is more fun to watch.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #23 on: February 27, 2015, 05:21:50 PM

Great news Browns, you signed Josh McCown

why so serious? This smiley doesn't do justice to how laughable that team is. Take my advice and jump ship. Do it. Save yourselves.

EDIT: Best comment so far

Brilliant signing by the Browns. Josh McCown brings everything the Browns desire at QB: admirable mediocrity, a Caucasian name, the willingness to throw interceptions when the team needs one, and the ability to have had a decent stretch of games two years ago. Even if it doesn't pay off this year, McCown could really find his stride in the last two years of the deal. Quarterbacks age like fine wine.

Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 27, 2015, 09:54:28 PM

Great news Browns, you signed Josh McCown

why so serious? This smiley doesn't do justice to how laughable that team is. Take my advice and jump ship. Do it. Save yourselves.

EDIT: Best comment so far

Brilliant signing by the Browns. Josh McCown brings everything the Browns desire at QB: admirable mediocrity, a Caucasian name, the willingness to throw interceptions when the team needs one, and the ability to have had a decent stretch of games two years ago. Even if it doesn't pay off this year, McCown could really find his stride in the last two years of the deal. Quarterbacks age like fine wine.

Well this is not a surprise at all and actually is a better option than Hoyer IMHO. McCown is brought in as a stop gap until they can get a decent rookie... maybe 2020.

WayAbvPar

Reply #25 on: February 27, 2015, 10:02:21 PM

Except McCown is a fucking dumpster fire. There are 20 QBs equally shitty on the market. Why not try one that hasn't proven he is awful?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #26 on: February 28, 2015, 12:15:26 AM

At this point, I'm surprised they haven't signed that 3rd stringer that played in the playoffs for the Cardinals. I mean, shit, he's lost fewer games than McCown did.  why so serious?

I knew when McCown did so well under Trestman that he'd get a contract much bigger than he deserved, I just never expected he'd get two.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #27 on: March 02, 2015, 03:53:57 PM

Speaking of McCown, he expects to start. Oh and look at the guaranteed money.

The Cleveland Browns last week signed Josh McCown to a three-year deal worth $14 million, including $6.25 million guaranteed and $6 million in incentives, which is better than typical backup money.

McCown is taking a starter's mentality to Cleveland too.

"That's my expectation right now," McCown told ESPN Radio's "Mike & Mike" on Monday about his goal to start for the Browns. "We'll see, as things unfold, what their plan is, but that's my expectation. I'm going to compete as such to do that."

3-years, $14 million, with over $6 million guaranteed. I guess that's cheap for a QB these days, but it's pretty expensive for how many wins he'll probably have.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #28 on: March 02, 2015, 04:44:17 PM

$6M guaranteed for a shitty insurance policy isn't bad. It's still too much for him.

The NFL is starting to get a little nuts about having backups and paying them decent money. I say that's stupid. If your QB goes down, you're Arizona. You have zero shot at winning in the playoffs and you shouldn't pretend a $6M investment would make you competitive.

I'd rather toss that $6M into an extra RB signing for more injury risk there.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 04:46:08 PM by Paelos »

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 02, 2015, 05:39:57 PM

$6M guaranteed for a shitty insurance policy isn't bad. It's still too much for him.

The NFL is starting to get a little nuts about having backups and paying them decent money. I say that's stupid. If your QB goes down, you're Arizona. You have zero shot at winning in the playoffs and you shouldn't pretend a $6M investment would make you competitive.

Having a good back up QB is a luxury most teams can't afford.  When you do have one, it makes life easier when your #1 goes down and can make the difference between playoff success and being an also ran.  I know it's not the NFL, but here in Calgary, the CFL Stampeders won the Grey Cup championship with a guy who was #3 on the depth chart last year.  Bo Levi Mitchell went from a nobody to arguably the 2nd best QB in the league in one season.  The guy who was #2 here the past few years, Drew Tate, could easily start for almost any team in the league and the Stamps have a lot of confidence in him to take over if Mitchell goes down.  The former #1, Kevin Glenn, is a 13 year veteran with over 43000 yards passing, 239 TD passes and twice threw for over 5100 yards, though he kind of shit the bed last year in BC after being left unprotected in the expansion draft.  So Calgary lets their veteran #1 QB be taken in the expansion draft, a QB who took them to the championship game in his first season, and names their #3 the starter, who not only ties the CFL record for most consecutive wins as a QB to start a career, 7-0, but he goes on to help the team win 2 playoff games and a Grey Cup championship.  All this in a league that has more than a few teams struggling to find one decent QB.  Calgary had 3 QB's that were all #1 quality and they either won the championship or were very close to winning the past few years.

TLDR version: good back up QB's are a very important but rare commodity for a football team to have.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 05:44:57 PM by Ginaz »
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 02, 2015, 06:55:42 PM

Having a good back up QB is a luxury most teams can't afford.  When you do have one, it makes life easier when your #1 goes down and can make the difference between playoff success and being an also ran.  I know it's not the NFL, but here in Calgary, the CFL Stampeders won the Grey Cup championship with a guy who was #3 on the depth chart last year.  Bo Levi Mitchell went from a nobody to arguably the 2nd best QB in the league in one season.  The guy who was #2 here the past few years, Drew Tate, could easily start for almost any team in the league and the Stamps have a lot of confidence in him to take over if Mitchell goes down.  The former #1, Kevin Glenn, is a 13 year veteran with over 43000 yards passing, 239 TD passes and twice threw for over 5100 yards, though he kind of shit the bed last year in BC after being left unprotected in the expansion draft.  So Calgary lets their veteran #1 QB be taken in the expansion draft, a QB who took them to the championship game in his first season, and names their #3 the starter, who not only ties the CFL record for most consecutive wins as a QB to start a career, 7-0, but he goes on to help the team win 2 playoff games and a Grey Cup championship.  All this in a league that has more than a few teams struggling to find one decent QB.  Calgary had 3 QB's that were all #1 quality and they either won the championship or were very close to winning the past few years.

TLDR version: good back up QB's are a very important but rare commodity for a football team to have.

Aren't the Cowboys one of the best cases for the value of a competent backup QB?  Romo tends to get (minor) injuries that force him to sit multiple weeks or play in body armor and much reduced efficacy, and Dallas is perpetually on the playoff bubble.  If they had someone decent enough to win them a couple of those games, or allow them time to get Romo healthy...

Yah, if your top tier starting QB goes down with a season ender you might as well fire the expensive backup and use your League minimum salaried 3rd stringer.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #31 on: March 02, 2015, 08:25:51 PM

Green Bay from last year is proof that a good backup QB is worth a good bit. The fact that they didn't lose all those games last year with Wallace/Tolzien/Flynn kept them in the race and they won the division the first game Rodgers comes back. Had they lost one of those games with Flynn as QB or not tied Minnesota, they wouldn't have gone to the playoffs.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 03, 2015, 02:07:11 AM

Green Bay from last year is proof that a good backup QB is worth a good bit. The fact that they didn't lose all those games last year with Wallace/Tolzien/Flynn kept them in the race and they won the division the first game Rodgers comes back. Had they lost one of those games with Flynn as QB or not tied Minnesota, they wouldn't have gone to the playoffs.

Exactly, I'd rather spend any extra money on a QB than a RB.  Decent RB's are a dime a dozen.  Not so much with QB's.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #33 on: March 03, 2015, 05:58:56 AM

They went 2-5-1 in that stretch and got beat in the first round, even with Rodgers back. It's not a success story. That's my point. Most of the time these guys are useless. The two wins were over Atlanta and Dallas, one of which was an 8-8 joke and the other was a literal dumpster fire. I'm not sure if the QB situation made a difference at all. It was a terrible division and a year that GB by all rights shouldn't have made the playoffs.

Arizona showed what happens too. Yes you can make the playoffs, and get exposed. Big deal. I guess for some teams the idea of paying a backup is worth getting to the dance? Not me. Dallas didn't get settled into an actual playoff run until Tony was healthy almost the entire year. Weeden played one game and lost last year. Exactly.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #34 on: March 03, 2015, 10:18:05 AM

They went 2-5-1 and had they not had Flynn, they likely would have lost all of those games and missed the playoffs completely. The 5 games they did lose were with a shitty 2nd string QB and a 3rd string QB. The difference between a shitty backup and a good backup was 2 wins, 1 tie and a playoff berth. The loss in the playoffs doesn't matter that much - just getting to the playoffs is big dollars even for a perennial playoff contender like the Packers. Ask Jerry Jones if he'd taken a playoff berth and first round loss over missing the playoffs and I can guarantee you his answer will be to make the playoffs.

Now, again, I said a GOOD backup QB. McCown isn't that and any fuckhead who thinks his success in Chicago was due to his ability and not Trestman's systems... well, those fuckheads pay him $6 million in guaranteed money for 3 years. He still would have been better than that 3rd stringer whose name I keep forgetting in Arizona.

But really, if you are down to your 3rd string QB, you're done. Even down to your backup, you're probably done in the playoffs. There just aren't even 32 guys good enough to be competent starting QB's, how many can come off the bench for an injured QB and be half as good?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 39 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NFL 2015  
Jump to: