Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:44:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: SOE now Daybreak, bought by Columbus Nova, going.... "indie?" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SOE now Daybreak, bought by Columbus Nova, going.... "indie?"  (Read 86040 times)
schild
Administrator

on: February 02, 2015, 10:53:27 AM

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 10:59:46 AM

Never heard of Columbus Nova.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 11:13:13 AM

Quite weird.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 11:15:48 AM

Ummmm, ok.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 11:21:55 AM

Dear Players, Partners and Friends,

Today, we are pleased to announce that we have been acquired by Columbus Nova, an investment management firm well known for its success with its existing portfolio of technology, media and entertainment focused companies. This means that effective immediately SOE will operate as an independent game development studio where we will continue to focus on creating exceptional online games for players around the world, and now as a multi-platform gaming company. Yes, that means PlayStation and Xbox, mobile and more!

As part of this transition, SOE will now become Daybreak Game Company. This name embodies who we are as an organization, and is a nod to the passion and dedication of our employees and players. It is also representative of our vision to approach each new day as an opportunity to move gaming forward.

So what exactly does this mean for you? It will be business as usual and all SOE games will continue on their current path of development and operation. In fact, we expect to have even more resources available to us as a result of this acquisition. It also means new exciting developments for our existing IP and games as we can now fully embrace the multi-platform world we are living in.

Our games and players are the heart and soul of our organization, and we are committed to maintaining our portfolio of online games and pushing the limits of where we can take online gaming together.

Thank you for your continued support. See you in game!

The Team at Daybreak

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 11:24:35 AM

That is indeed a head scratcher. Sony dumping SOE is understandable considering SOE hasn't been relevant since 2004 and Sony is still in deep doo-doo but apparently no gaming or entertainment company was interested.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 11:49:23 AM

Columbus Nova claims to be a long-term value investor. SOE has a large number of online games with stable subscription rates and recently took a huge write-off due to EQN and H1Z1 dev costs, making them a good deal. Columbus Nova probably figured it was a transaction likely to offer worthwhile returns over time. Nothing sexy. That's my feeling.

If you're a fan of a current SOE title (not that anyone expects you to admit it on F13) this is probably a positive change.

And hey, maybe they'll kick in with Disney and turn SWG back on. Stranger things have happened. Not recently, and I can't recall anything specific off the top of my head, but I'm sure they have.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 12:10:52 PM by sam, an eggplant »
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 12:17:28 PM

Daybreak Games?  DBG?  D-Bag games? awesome, for real
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 12:23:30 PM

That is indeed a head scratcher. Sony dumping SOE is understandable considering SOE hasn't been relevant since 2004 and Sony is still in deep doo-doo but apparently no gaming or entertainment company was interested.

If you were a game company would you have been interested in buying at the inflated price Sony was selling for, or would you have been happier to let them die and remove another competitor from the market while freeing talent at rock-bottom prices?

As for fans of current SOE titles, Sam, I can't think of anything beyond PS2 or the Zombie game that's floundering. EQ1 & EQ2 were relevant once and still have customers, but that's not saying much.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 12:34:07 PM

These guys seem like winners.

CN takes a value-oriented, long-term view to investing and seeks consistent returns with an emphasis on capital preservation.

Then I see that the most recognizable name on their site is Rhapsody. Someone should start a timer now. How long will Daybreak last until it's gutted and all of the assets/IPs are sold off.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 12:38:27 PM by LC »
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 12:37:52 PM

Wish you could delete your own post.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 12:39:29 PM by LC »
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 12:39:04 PM

Value-oriented long-term means the exact opposite of "buy a loser on the cheap, gangrape it, chop it up with a cleaver, and sell the pieces for sausage meat". But I guess websites can lie.
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 12:40:32 PM

Value-oriented long-term means the exact opposite of "buy a loser on the cheap, gangrape it, chop it up with a cleaver, and sell the pieces for sausage meat". But I guess websites can lie.

The funny thing is that all of them seem to say that.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 12:49:42 PM

Next up in acquisitions for Columbus Nova:  Pantheon, Rise of the Fallen. 

Let's bring the weird full circle.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 12:52:47 PM

Yeah, I'll believe this is a good thing when I see it.  Luckily I don't care about any SOE games enough to mind either way how this goes. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 01:05:37 PM

As for fans of current SOE titles, Sam, I can't think of anything beyond PS2 or the Zombie game that's floundering. EQ1 & EQ2 were relevant once and still have customers, but that's not saying much.

Didn't we have a bunch of people here buy into Landmark?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 01:33:50 PM

I just assume Smed was frat bros with someone at Columbus Nova, or something like that. This acquisition makes zero fucking sense.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 01:36:29 PM

Speaking for myself, I got my $20 worth out of it.  If it dies I won't be in mourning.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 01:42:14 PM

Wait, wasn't all the PSN stuff for the PS3 and PS4 being run out of SOE?

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #19 on: February 02, 2015, 01:45:27 PM

Sounds like a dietary supplement.

"Me am play gods"
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 02:00:53 PM

So no more innuendo about SoE and online games?  End of an era.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #21 on: February 02, 2015, 02:08:43 PM

I don't care about the gait, says Columbus. A horse with no fight left in it still got the same amount of glue. Tell Smed that she's off to run in a pretty pasture somewhere. Don't matter where.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #22 on: February 02, 2015, 02:23:41 PM

Yes and as the features I said would kill the game got added the interest level dropped.  We've got 2 or 3 people who keep that thread alive and it seems like they're the only folks who play out of the 10-15 that started out.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #23 on: February 02, 2015, 02:33:39 PM

PlanetSide 2 is still chugging along, I'm guessing we make them some money from the item sales and the subscriptions (not sure but they had said PS2 was making them some money), and they set a world record the other night on the 24th http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/26/planetside-2-sets-world-record-for-most-online-players-in-single-fps-battle

Not sure what the hell is going to happen. It was getting better with time, sure they make stupid mistakes, but they still keep trying and tweaking.
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 02, 2015, 02:58:56 PM

Sony never did anything of worth with SOE so it makes sense that they are selling. However, I'm not sure if an investment firm buying SOE makes this any better.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #25 on: February 02, 2015, 03:41:48 PM

SCE (Sony Computer Entertainment) runs PSN.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #26 on: February 02, 2015, 04:57:48 PM

PlanetSide 2 is still chugging along, I'm guessing we make them some money from the item sales and the subscriptions (not sure but they had said PS2 was making them some money), and they set a world record the other night on the 24th http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/26/planetside-2-sets-world-record-for-most-online-players-in-single-fps-battle

Not sure what the hell is going to happen. It was getting better with time, sure they make stupid mistakes, but they still keep trying and tweaking.

Planetside 2 is in beta on the PS4 so it is coming... or was? Talk is now it is going to be on the Xbone at some point too.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 02, 2015, 06:09:49 PM

SCE (Sony Computer Entertainment) runs PSN.

Hasn't for a few years now.  They spun it off to a new division, SNE (sony network entertainment) like six months before the original psn hack.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #28 on: February 02, 2015, 06:35:14 PM

Ah interesting, thanks.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #29 on: February 03, 2015, 12:58:18 AM

Hm. I was interested in looking at Planetside 2 when it hit the PS4.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: February 03, 2015, 01:08:31 AM

Because you don't have a PC or because you like inferior versions of good games?

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #31 on: February 03, 2015, 04:58:44 AM

I give it two years before it's a burned-out hulk found sitting on blocks somewhere near the Tijuana border.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #32 on: February 03, 2015, 11:03:09 AM

Because you don't have a PC or because you like inferior versions of good games?

Because my PC is starting to age, my wife doesn't play PC-FPS, and playing co-op anything alongside her with thumbsticks trumps playing alone or with random internet strangers using KB+M.  Ohhhhh, I see.

I've got plenty of PC-FPS games anyway. So playing PS2 on PC doesn't especially excite me.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #33 on: February 03, 2015, 03:31:32 PM

PS2 is out on beta testing for the PlayStation 4, not sure on exactly how to get keys but I think some of the dev's give out keys on twitter. So it is an invite only beta right now.

Does Daybreak get to control the PlayStation 4 now too?

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 04, 2015, 02:35:41 PM

The PS4 folks were always separate from the SOE folks. I don't think this would have much impact on the ps2 translation to the PS4 and also allows them to do it on the xbox one as well in time. From the people I heard playing the beta on the PS4 planetside 2 is pretty darn fun on it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: SOE now Daybreak, bought by Columbus Nova, going.... "indie?"  
Jump to: