Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:46:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: SOE now Daybreak, bought by Columbus Nova, going.... "indie?" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SOE now Daybreak, bought by Columbus Nova, going.... "indie?"  (Read 87092 times)
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: May 12, 2015, 06:08:59 PM

And it begins.. ABANDON SHIP!!!

Steve "Moorgard" Danuser former Daybreak Games/SOE (Landmark/Everquest Next) to join Blizzard on World of Warcast as Senior Designer

edit because he was one of the "laid off", so correcting my link
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 06:13:20 PM by taolurker »

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: May 13, 2015, 06:24:20 AM

So I guess he didn't abandon ship?
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #72 on: May 13, 2015, 10:52:39 AM

No, he was pushed.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #73 on: May 17, 2015, 12:34:45 AM

I looked up P99 earlier to see what has been going on there - apparently Daybreak is working with P99 to coexist. That's actually pretty awesome, and P99 is launching Velious in August.

Pretty cool on Daybreak's part.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #74 on: May 17, 2015, 01:27:21 PM

What's P99? Google says it's a pistol.

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: May 17, 2015, 01:47:35 PM

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #76 on: May 18, 2015, 01:56:47 PM

I know some old EQ1 friends playing this and loving it. Grind is there in all its old glory but nostalgia seems to be shielding that. Also, no asshats.

I have never played WoW.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: May 18, 2015, 02:43:52 PM

I know some old EQ1 friends playing this and loving it. Grind is there in all its old glory but nostalgia seems to be shielding that. Also, no asshats.

Other than the asshat that runs the whole thing?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #78 on: May 18, 2015, 02:57:32 PM

When everyone is an asshat, no one is an asshat. 

-Rasix
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: May 18, 2015, 05:35:36 PM

Other than the asshat that runs the whole thing?
Got to hand it to those P99 guys, they take that oldschool EQ thing seriously. Appointing a smarmy dickmunch as the public face of the game shows their extreme commitment to verisimilitude at all costs. Extra points if he's a cokehead. Next step, bring in an overtly hostile introvert as the community manager. Then P99 will be essentially indistinguishable from playing EQ back in 1999.

See y'all in najena! Who's got drelzna camp? /wrists
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 05:37:31 PM by sam, an eggplant »
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: May 18, 2015, 07:27:21 PM

When everyone is an asshat, no one is an asshat. 
Life has taught me that if I am standing around amazed that there are no assholes, it means I am the asshole.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #81 on: May 18, 2015, 07:33:22 PM

Who asses the asshats?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: May 18, 2015, 07:39:19 PM

Who asses the asshats?
The catasses.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #83 on: May 19, 2015, 08:34:27 AM

Got to hand it to those P99 guys, they take that oldschool EQ thing seriously. Appointing a smarmy dickmunch as the public face of the game shows their extreme commitment to verisimilitude at all costs. Extra points if he's a cokehead. Next step, bring in an overtly hostile introvert as the community manager. Then P99 will be essentially indistinguishable from playing EQ back in 1999.

See y'all in najena! Who's got drelzna camp? /wrists

That was a thing of poetry.

I too remember the nostalgia, and then I remember the anxiety of a 3 hour Plane of Fear corpse run at 4 in the morning.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #84 on: May 19, 2015, 08:38:31 AM

Yeah those were ugly but at least you could zerg those.* Hate was a pain cause you needed a Wizard to port you up.

* Assuming you didn't die so many times that you de-leveled and couldn't get back in awesome, for real
Rasix

Reply #85 on: May 19, 2015, 09:03:52 AM

I too remember the nostalgia, and then I remember the anxiety of a 3 hour Plane of Fear corpse run at 4 in the morning.

EQ made us do some really stupid shit.  I remember nearly being in tears because a Plane of Life corpse run was getting dangerously close to an 8am final I had to take.  I had also died enough times to basically wipe out 8-10 hours worth of leveling even with the rezzes.  Stupid roaming billy goat man.

None of it was worth it in the slightest, other than perhaps forcibly expunging that sort of future behavior from my system in the future. 

-Rasix
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #86 on: May 19, 2015, 09:57:47 AM

I think you mean Plane of Growth? My memory may be failing me however.

In any event, I don't regret my EQ years; I made some good friends, had some good experiences. Heck, I wouldn't be here in F13 without having known Numtini in EQ a while back. Pity this place has gotten so hostile of late that folks are being driven off.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Rasix

Reply #87 on: May 19, 2015, 10:13:49 AM

Yep.  It was Growth.  Long, long time ago.  I have trouble remembering the name of a lot of the zones/bosses. Man, that was probably the tipping point for me playing seriously.

My EQ buddies are scattered to the wind. Only game groups I'd say that I still have contact with come from this board. Although, I'm pretty sure I could reconnect with my GW2 guild (which f13ers introduced me to). 

-Rasix
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #88 on: May 19, 2015, 01:56:18 PM

I never had a one of those horrible EQ experiences. Sure I got frustrated trying to farm for rare drops like everyone else, but overall I loved the difficulty of the game and the forced social aspect.  My first EQ guild still hangs out on a private forum to this day even if we don't actively play games together any more.

I have never played WoW.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: May 19, 2015, 06:22:05 PM

Imagine joining WoW now.

That would really suck.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
WayAbvPar

Reply #90 on: May 19, 2015, 08:06:56 PM

Imagine joining WoW now.

That would really suck.

Even if you have played before!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: May 20, 2015, 12:48:10 AM

I don't know if I was clear or not but I meant as a developer. You're coming onto something 10 years old that's basically just treading water now, seems like it would be tremendously boring.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: May 20, 2015, 06:35:28 AM

Was the disappearing Lore Item bug fixed by 1999? You can't go more oldschool than destroying an item 40 people worked for days to get by letting the wrong person see what dropped. I would give them props if they have the balls to keep that in.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
WayAbvPar

Reply #93 on: May 20, 2015, 08:51:05 AM

I don't know if I was clear or not but I meant as a developer. You're coming onto something 10 years old that's basically just treading water now, seems like it would be tremendously boring.

Oh yeah...basically a janitor/caretaker at this point.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: May 20, 2015, 09:04:50 AM

WoW still has over 7 million players. It's not in maintenance mode. If your argument is that the developers are forced to stick to very tight constraints, offering up teats filled with the same sickly-sweet dikuclone pap to pacify their gargantuan milling herds of liquid-eyed cattle players-- from the changes in recent expansion packs, that really isn't true. Sure, they haven't turned WoW into a completely different genre, it's not a first-person shooter now, but they committed to massive new features not directly aligned to diku gameplay, like pokemon in the previous expansion and facebook-style garrison missions in this one. They are willing to make and solidly commit to wildly unpopular changes too, like removing flying mounts.

Now you might argue that all that stuff makes baby Jesus cry. And I would agree, I hate all that crap. Losing flying turned me off WoW permanently. But the devs aren't constrained in the manner you describe. They have some degree of freedom.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 09:07:09 AM by sam, an eggplant »
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: May 20, 2015, 10:51:01 AM

WoW still has over 7 million players. It's not in maintenance mode. If your argument is that the developers are forced to stick to very tight constraints, offering up teats filled with the same sickly-sweet dikuclone pap to pacify their gargantuan milling herds of liquid-eyed cattle players-- from the changes in recent expansion packs, that really isn't true. Sure, they haven't turned WoW into a completely different genre, it's not a first-person shooter now, but they committed to massive new features not directly aligned to diku gameplay, like pokemon in the previous expansion and facebook-style garrison missions in this one. They are willing to make and solidly commit to wildly unpopular changes too, like removing flying mounts.

Now you might argue that all that stuff makes baby Jesus cry. And I would agree, I hate all that crap. Losing flying turned me off WoW permanently. But the devs aren't constrained in the manner you describe. They have some degree of freedom.

WoW turned off flying mounts? Didn't some folks pay real money for some of those?

I'd be pretty pissed too.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: May 20, 2015, 10:57:47 AM

Yes, it was a pretty contentious decision. Since many players strongly disagreed with that change, the point is they aren't on cruise control. They're trying to innovate/extend the game and making difficult, even unpopular, choices.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #97 on: May 20, 2015, 11:02:21 AM

WoW innovates? Do tell.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: May 20, 2015, 11:58:05 AM

You make the mistake of conflating your lack of personal appreciation for a feature with it not being innovative. I don't enjoy them either, but pokemon and facebook-style timed companion missions are innovative additions/extensions to the game.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: May 20, 2015, 12:16:18 PM

Man, all these horror stories about EQ and I'm glad I waited until now to actually play it. I had gotten a druid up to 40 or so, like 6 or 7 years ago, but I don't think that really counts because I just wandered around solo. Now I'm in a progression raiding guild and having a grand old time at 70. No corpse runs, no major xp loss, I don't even notice the devs if they're being asshats or not. Just playing.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #100 on: May 20, 2015, 01:09:13 PM

To be fair, dickhead dev drama and guild loot squabbles were two of the main sources of fun* in the original EQ.

* The definition of fun espoused in this sentence may not bear any relation to the actual definition of the word fun.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: May 20, 2015, 01:12:38 PM

WoW turned off flying mounts? Didn't some folks pay real money for some of those?

I'd be pretty pissed too.

To trot out the "counter argument", you can still fly in WoW, as long as you stay out of the current expansion.

And yes, they are still selling flying mounts for real money.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #102 on: May 20, 2015, 01:27:49 PM

Yeah, the argument was it both trivialized content and limited the options for endgame player interaction with the world because they'd do the "run, drop in, run off" thing unless all activities happened in a cave.

It was successful enough in Timeless Isle they felt it wasn't a problem for the whole expansion, I guess.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: May 20, 2015, 01:55:08 PM

Yep. Players are deeply divided over it, and feel very strongly. Personally, like I said earlier, it was enough to disconnect me from WoW forever.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: May 21, 2015, 08:31:10 AM

I jumped back into WOW for 2 months back in Feb/March and I liked the change. I honestly don't care either way, but not having a flying mount in the new content felt better imo.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: SOE now Daybreak, bought by Columbus Nova, going.... "indie?"  
Jump to: