Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:54:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Ghostbusters reboot. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ghostbusters reboot.  (Read 87464 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #70 on: March 12, 2015, 08:00:43 AM

Yes, you're the only one. It was an 80's comedy. Ramis, Muarry, Aykroid, Moranis as cast.  Writing team of Ramis, Aykroid, Moranis.

Jesus.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: March 12, 2015, 08:22:49 AM

You can't NOT call it a comedy when every single thing in it is so absurd. 

It's about a group of scientists that become ghost catchers.  The HQ is absurd.  The Receptionist is absurd.  The two chaps needing saving are absurd.  There's a fucking Stay Puft Marshmallow man as the main villain.

Yeah, it's a comedy.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: March 12, 2015, 08:32:52 AM

Am I to take it that you consider Stripes to be a gritty war drama, MediumHigh?

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #73 on: March 12, 2015, 08:57:58 AM

Know what. I blame Sandler, Farley and their contemporaries more than MH.  Clearly there weren't enough fart, dick, poop and gay/ rape jokes compared to modern comedies so he got confused.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: March 12, 2015, 01:27:41 PM

Ghostbusters is a religion to some nerds I know, what with its explanation of the afterlife.  awesome, for real I slot this in that same category of people taking Star Wars and building their life around the Jedi Code because it isn't about Team Edward or Jacob for them but Jedi & Sith.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: March 12, 2015, 02:14:38 PM

Nah, I think that is taking it too far.  There may be a tiny niche out there somewhere, but I don't think people care overly much about the Ghostbusters Universe, if there even is such a thing.  I can appreciate it as a comedy due to the actors involved and their execution of the material, but I can list roughly zero important facts about the movie itself.  I give no fucks about either ghosts or their busting, but give me Bill Murray's smug, smarmy, arrogant, portrayal of whatshisface any day of the week.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: March 13, 2015, 01:57:31 AM

Ghostbusters is Blues Brothers (a way better film IMO) level of adoration, not like Star Wars at all.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: March 13, 2015, 03:43:02 AM

I don't remember ghostbusters being all that funny. Am I the only one? Like the movie had funny moments but being a "comedy" is a stretch.

You need to change your name from MediumHigh to ExtremelyHigh.

What the hell would you call it? A drama? Horror? It has a plot, so I guess in that sense it's different from a lot of the random shit you get today like the "Epic Movie / Date Movie / Meet the Spartans" and such, and I suppose it's true that adventure comedies are much rarer than situation comedies - but it's still a comedy.
---

As far as being like Star Wars to people - Ghostbusters is a great movie. A much better movie than any Star Wars movie. With a great script, great acting - you know, stuff that actually makes movies good, as opposed to laser swords. But I don't think anyone cares about the mythology or the bigger picture. People like it for individual scenes and lines of dialogue, not because they give a shit about the backstory of Gozer or the broad philosophy of it. And unlike Star Wars it's not aspirational - being a Jedi would be awesome (except that you have to hang out with dull, joyless Jedi pricks), being a Ghostbuster would be silly.

That said...the cartoon did work with the premise in a way that was great, until it became about goofy Slimer shit. The idea of a Ghostbusters "cinematic universe" of course sounds like an awful cash grab, but it's an idea that has some potential if handled correctly - which it almost certainly won't be. But a universe of funny movies in which supernatural stuff is real isn't a terrible idea if you separate it out from the idiocy of every movie studio wanting their own "universe."
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 03:55:56 AM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: March 13, 2015, 08:29:55 AM

The Cannonball Run reboot wasn't Fast & Furious, it was Rat Race.
I thought Rat Race was the It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World reboot.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #79 on: March 13, 2015, 01:03:06 PM

The Cannonball Run reboot wasn't Fast & Furious, it was Rat Race.
I thought Rat Race was the It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World reboot.

No, that was Cannonball Run. (We need to go deeper.)

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: July 10, 2015, 11:05:38 PM

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: July 11, 2015, 02:03:40 PM

Nah
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #82 on: July 11, 2015, 02:11:00 PM

Burn it with fire.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: July 11, 2015, 05:20:30 PM

To me, Ghostbusters was the perfect synergy at the time. Great comedy with a dash of action and 99% pseudo-science thrown in. Great actors and writing and direction that really "just happened" to fall together along with good special effects for the 1980s. I don't know that it has stood the test of time as well as other films, but at the time it was just awesome happy fun. Kind of like Stripes, Uncle Buck, Big Trouble in Little China (which I loved), Escape from New York, Robocop etc. Even when serious the films had fun moments/quips thrown in.

I have no idea the actresses are in this version, nor am I into it being a gritty reboot of the franchise. Without the Ramis/Moranis/Aykroyd/Murray combo I think the film would have fallen on its face although I would have liked to see which parts John Candy and John Belushi would have held in Aykroyd's original drafts. Even Ecto1 and the fire building made the film what it is - by retro-rebooting the vehicle I just don't get the "cool" vibe of the original.

The gender reboot was a silly move, you can have strong female protagonists that can stand alongside males and not be overshadowed. This is what they should have done, a gender mix with no romantic attachments woven into the storyline.

Anyway, will wait for it to come out on DVD - if I can skip Age of UIlton, I can give this a miss.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: July 12, 2015, 09:42:29 PM

To me, Ghostbusters was the perfect synergy at the time. Great comedy with a dash of action and 99% pseudo-science thrown in. Great actors and writing and direction that really "just happened" to fall together along with good special effects for the 1980s. I don't know that it has stood the test of time as well as other films, but at the time it was just awesome happy fun. Kind of like Stripes, Uncle Buck, Big Trouble in Little China (which I loved), Escape from New York, Robocop etc. Even when serious the films had fun moments/quips thrown in.

I have no idea the actresses are in this version, nor am I into it being a gritty reboot of the franchise. Without the Ramis/Moranis/Aykroyd/Murray combo I think the film would have fallen on its face although I would have liked to see which parts John Candy and John Belushi would have held in Aykroyd's original drafts. Even Ecto1 and the fire building made the film what it is - by retro-rebooting the vehicle I just don't get the "cool" vibe of the original.

The gender reboot was a silly move, you can have strong female protagonists that can stand alongside males and not be overshadowed. This is what they should have done, a gender mix with no romantic attachments woven into the storyline.

Anyway, will wait for it to come out on DVD - if I can skip Age of UIlton, I can give this a miss.

I agree with a gender mix as well. Also, I doubt this movie will do well. Your average male is going to look at that cast photo and go "they're all ugly...moving on." It sounds awful but it's true. And it does feel forced frankly. I think a mix would have been much better than "all female just because!"

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
schild
Administrator

Reply #85 on: July 12, 2015, 09:46:37 PM

There are no female comics alive as funny or as fitting as Akroyd, Murray, and Ramis at what was arguably their peak.

Shit, there aren't any male comics alive that can pull this off. The death of Ramis is the death of Ghostbusters.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #86 on: July 12, 2015, 10:13:19 PM

I agree with a gender mix as well. Also, I doubt this movie will do well. Your average male is going to look at that cast photo and go "they're all ugly...moving on." It sounds awful but it's true. And it does feel forced frankly. I think a mix would have been much better than "all female just because!"

Paul Feig's last three movies either starred, or heavily featured Melissa McCarthy, and this is his third time working with Kristen Wiig. Bridesmaids and Spy were both very well reviewed, and The Heat's reviews were a bit mixed but generally positive. Dollar-wise the movies did ok considering their estimated budgets. I assume this will do closer to Paul Feig numbers at the box office as opposed to Ghostbuster numbers, but unless they go crazy with special effects, I can't see it costing too much to make given the cast.

Of course it isn't going to be anywhere near as good as Ghostbusters, but then even all the talented people involved in making the first movie managed to crap out Ghostbusters II (I know somebody is going to try to say that it's not a bad movie, but fuck them, they're wrong). It's like worrying that Terminator Genisys is going to shit up the franchise when the reality is that happened two movies ago.
schild
Administrator

Reply #87 on: July 12, 2015, 10:21:05 PM

Bridesmaids was dogshit.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #88 on: July 12, 2015, 10:24:29 PM

Bridesmaids was dogshit.

Then I predict you won't like any of Feig's other movies.
schild
Administrator

Reply #89 on: July 12, 2015, 10:39:29 PM

Given he has turned McCarthy into a girl Chris Farley, I suspect not.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: July 13, 2015, 12:12:25 AM

I'm happy to agree that GB2 was a bad movie - it just felt wrong. Which Terminator movie was the rotten egg? I loved T1 and T2.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: July 13, 2015, 12:27:35 AM

Wait.  Not that I like anything about McCarthy, but did you just basically say you don't like Chris Farley?  Is it because he's dead?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: July 13, 2015, 03:46:47 AM

Which Terminator movie was the rotten egg? I loved T1 and T2.

All of them that weren't T1 or T2.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: July 13, 2015, 04:58:29 AM

Wait.  Not that I like anything about McCarthy, but did you just basically say you don't like Chris Farley?  Is it because he's dead?

Maybe because he wasn't funny even when he was alive?
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: July 13, 2015, 05:23:20 AM

Spy was very good.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: July 13, 2015, 06:19:47 AM

I liked Ghostbusters 2 when I saw it, because I was 5. It certainly doesn't hold up as well as the original, though.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: July 13, 2015, 06:56:16 AM

I blame Bill Murray for this. If he hadn't dragged his feet we'd have had a proper Ghostbusters 3 while Ramis was still alive. Then again, after Ghostbusters 2 he may have saved our childhoods, it's a 50/50 split.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: July 13, 2015, 07:57:37 AM

I love Bill Murray for stopping an old-man Ghostbusters 3 with the now-quite unfunny Dan Aykroyd, who is also now very seriously invested in ghosts-are-real stuff, which should give anyone a certain amount of trepidation about his desperation to get the movie made. (Probably more about money than anything else.)  You only need to have seen Year One to realize a Ramis-helmed movie made around 2009-2010 would also have been a bad thing.

Murray is really the only guy in the original film whose talent has been pretty persistent--he outgrew those guys a long time ago, and they diminished at the same pace.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #98 on: July 13, 2015, 09:23:06 AM

Seeing that picture of them in costume:

NOPE.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #99 on: July 13, 2015, 10:06:49 AM

EETS VEEGOOO

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #100 on: July 13, 2015, 11:33:59 AM

Seeing that picture of them in costume:

NOPE.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #101 on: July 14, 2015, 03:56:20 AM

Not fair. Weaver's amazing in almost everything.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: July 14, 2015, 04:26:50 AM

That costume was better too. Stripes are never flattering.

Hic sunt dracones.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: July 14, 2015, 04:31:27 AM

They even have those ghastly stripes on their boots, which makes them look even more ridiculous.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: July 14, 2015, 04:43:02 AM

They even have those ghastly stripes on their boots, which makes them look even more ridiculous.

I ain't 'fraid of no ghast!

(Sorry)

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Ghostbusters reboot.  
Jump to: