Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:07:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Ghostbusters reboot. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ghostbusters reboot.  (Read 87467 times)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #105 on: July 15, 2015, 08:37:00 PM

Just found out they're filming this in Boston instead of New York yet the movie's supposed to take place in New York.

Fuck that shit.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #106 on: July 15, 2015, 10:16:18 PM

This will be terrible and do terrible.

But no one will come right out and criticize all the things that made it terrible.

Because feminist hate mobs will end their careers and ability to just live life.

Even if it's just some schlub with a blog 100 people read, they will hammer them and try their best to bring the ruin into that person's real life.

Filming a movie set in NYC in Boston will be the best thing about the movie. You aren't going to want the cooties from this thing to rub off onto your city Surly.

That being said, they should have set it in Philadelphia with the cast of Always Sunny and made it a fucked up two hour crossover thing. That would be funny as hell.

Someone should be throwing money hats at me, my movie ideas are a million times better than the shit getting greenlit.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #107 on: July 16, 2015, 02:21:01 PM

Maybe this will be great?  I don't know, it seems like we have three or four concurrent threads where everyone is piling on with "this is definitely going to be awful" based on either casting decisions or a few early teasers. 
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: July 16, 2015, 02:25:27 PM

I'm looking forward to this one, ironically.

I just want more busting of ghosts.  Busting makes me feel good.

Anything else can go swing.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #109 on: July 16, 2015, 02:26:08 PM

Bonus points if they can talk Huey Lewis into covering the Ghostbusters theme song.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #110 on: July 16, 2015, 02:30:32 PM

I'm looking forward to this one, ironically.

I just want more busting of ghosts.  Busting makes me feel good.

Anything else can go swing.

You hear that Bob? The feminists have already taken control of Scotland!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: July 16, 2015, 02:31:24 PM

Well, of course.  Even the men wear skirts.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #112 on: July 16, 2015, 03:21:19 PM

And the ladies have beards and chest hair.

There's a reason that the voice of every dwarf in any medium has a thick Scottish accent.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: July 16, 2015, 03:35:05 PM

Just found out they're filming this in Boston instead of New York yet the movie's supposed to take place in New York.

Fuck that shit.

The original was shot mostly in LA.

Of all the things to complain about this seems like a very silly one. Downtown Boston looks as much like NY as LA does, and plenty of movies / TV that are supposed to take place in New York are shot in places like Vancouver. (The Strain for example)

I'm kind of looking forward to this. I mean, it's not going to be as good as the original, but that's impossible. I still would have preferred a lineup like Wigg, Tina Fey, Judy Greer and Mccarthy though.

Imagine Judy Greer as an Egon-type - would be amazing.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 03:38:00 PM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: July 16, 2015, 05:02:01 PM

There was nothing special about the Ghostbuster franchise other than prime Bill Murray, Dan Akroyd and Harold Ramis (and Rick Moranis too i guess), and even THEY could not pull off a good sequel.  This is going to be horrible.

I am the .00000001428%
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #115 on: July 16, 2015, 05:54:18 PM

Most movies set in New York aren't filmed there as it's too goddamned expensive. 

Hell, X-files filmed in Toronto for Washington D.C.

It's as if Hollywood was built on lies and fabrications.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: July 16, 2015, 06:23:08 PM

Yea but there's a difference between "looks like anywhere" Vancouver and "older than New York" Boston, especially in Yankee/Red Sox land. It's a minor point though.

I'm not inspired by this version yet. But making any sequel to Ghostbusters would be like making a sequel to Fifth Element. It just can't possibly do the same thing to the same degree of coolness. It has to be different.

My one fear is they retell the original story but with women instead of men doing all the same exact shit. That would be insulting to the women playing the roles. I hope they tell a different story.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #117 on: July 16, 2015, 09:05:32 PM

Yea but there's a difference between "looks like anywhere" Vancouver and "older than New York" Boston, especially in Yankee/Red Sox land. It's a minor point though.

This. I'm less concerned about it being filmed in somewhere like Vancouver and saying it's New York. (Decent chunks of Fringe) Or Toronto (Suits). New Yorkers know Boston when we see it. and we don't like it. LA doesn't piss us off as much and LA pisses everyone off.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: July 16, 2015, 10:52:13 PM

That's what ruined the Matrix for me - set in the US but all I saw was Sydney CBD. Not to mentioon all the RHD cars.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #119 on: July 17, 2015, 07:54:30 AM

They could have filmed in Atlanta and the entire cast would have been sweaty.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #120 on: July 17, 2015, 09:29:58 AM

That's what ruined the Matrix for me - set in the US but all I saw was Sydney CBD. Not to mentioon all the RHD cars.

This. I'm less concerned about it being filmed in somewhere like Vancouver and saying it's New York. (Decent chunks of Fringe) Or Toronto (Suits). New Yorkers know Boston when we see it. and we don't like it. LA doesn't piss us off as much and LA pisses everyone off.

We've had this discussion before. Specifically about X-files if I remember right When it was last discussed the response was, "Yeah but that's a small fraction of the viewing audience who 1) recognizes and 2) cares. Costs and willingness to suspend disbelief outweigh the over-zealous need for 'authenticity' of a few fringe viewers.

awesome, for real

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #121 on: July 17, 2015, 09:53:00 AM

Fringe viewers?  Not many of those, right?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: July 17, 2015, 10:20:44 AM

I hear the movie is going to be shot using fake CGI ghosts instead of real ghosts.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: July 17, 2015, 10:28:02 AM

Oh.  So no Ramis then ?

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #124 on: July 17, 2015, 02:46:47 PM

Oh.  So no Ramis then ?

TOO SOON!  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: July 17, 2015, 03:03:40 PM

Oh.  So no Ramis then ?

Well played sir  Heart

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #126 on: July 20, 2015, 10:18:58 AM

So is this actually a reboot or a continuation with this being a new squad? I've seen/heard conflicting things.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #127 on: July 20, 2015, 10:24:48 AM

The He-Man Woman Hater's Club will definitely hate this movie no matter how objectively good it is, and the Tumblr Warrior Brigade will definitely love this movie no matter how objectively bad it is, for equal and opposite reasons.  For the rest of us:

There was nothing special about the Ghostbuster franchise other than prime Bill Murray, Dan Akroyd and Harold Ramis (and Rick Moranis too i guess), and even THEY could not pull off a good sequel.  This is going to be horrible.

This, with at least 95% certainty.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: July 22, 2015, 08:08:45 AM

I found GB II pretty watchable and enjoyed it, I'll admit I found a few parts of it hilarious, but it was in no way in heck as good as the original.

This basically has "Why?" written all over it. Now if they had a cameo with Ray + Winston running the GB "franchise" and sending these clueless idiots out with a Camera team in tow to do a stupid fake "reality TV show" that blows up in their faces when the women accidentally break the seventh seal, now that MIGHT be good way to tie it in and would actually allow these women to develop new characters, and would at least be an interesting premise with a capacity for good satire. But these women playing the same characters??? Fuck no.

How come I'm able to come up with a better premise than the multi million paid hollywood exects?

Hic sunt dracones.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: July 22, 2015, 08:12:10 AM

How come I'm able to come up with a better premise than the multi million paid hollywood exects?
Because there is no corporate exec team of money men forcing you to narrow your scope in order to avoid potential investment risk.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: July 22, 2015, 08:39:26 AM

I don't think this film is going to have anything substantial in common with the first film - a few cameos, if rumors are correct.  Story, characters, continuity - all new for this one.  They seem to be headed for a different feel, modern special effects, and a different underlying message.  I'd say that Bridesmaids will be closer in tone to this movie than Ghostbusters. 

Even if it is a good film, it'll be pissing on the grave of a great film.  However, GB II, the Real Ghostbusters, Slimer and the Real Ghostbusters, Extreme Ghostbusters, etc...  already soiled that sacred ground, even if they had their moments of non-suck.  This cheese must stand alone ... and as a standalone concept: Feig, Wiig, McCarthy, Garcia, Hemsworth... that menagerie could go either way.  I'm not expecting to love it, but I'm waiting for a trailer before I say it is worthless.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: July 22, 2015, 09:32:25 AM

Story, characters, continuity - all new for this one. 

Um... I think you might need to revise that opinion because they are clearly going for the same characters, at least as character archtypes.

Hic sunt dracones.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #132 on: July 22, 2015, 09:39:26 AM

The One Who Doesn't Want To Be In This Movie
The Black One Who Doesn't Know What's Going On
The Pudgy Space Cadet Nerd
The Nerd With Vertical Hair And Glasses

Looks about right.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: July 22, 2015, 09:58:47 AM

There will obviously be *some* similarities, but if you think that you'll basically get the same 4 to 7 main characters with gender swaps, the information released so far suggests otherwise.  

Of course, if you generalize the archetypes enough, you can get any team there.  I'm betting the ties between the New Ghostbusters and the original ones will be about as close as the ties between the Avengers and the original Ghostbusters.  Anyone have trouble picking the Venkman and Spengler in the Avengers?  

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #134 on: July 22, 2015, 11:28:20 AM

I'm sorry, but this picture doesn't fill me with confidence that this will be a fresh, funny take on the original concept, rather than a bad copy of the superficial aspects:

Link if that can't be hotlinked, (imgur shit the bed today).

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #135 on: July 22, 2015, 11:30:58 AM

It depends on the story. If the present-day Ghostbusters are a down and out outfit cause there haven't been any ghosts to deal with for a long time I can see them needing to drive around an old vehicle.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #136 on: July 22, 2015, 11:42:23 AM

It depends on the story. If the present-day Ghostbusters are a down and out outfit cause there haven't been any ghosts to deal with for a long time I can see them needing to drive around an old vehicle.

Yeah, that would be fine. But where the original GB vehicle was an old 60's model ambulance, this is apparently an old hearse of a design and color scheme that simply never could have existed. Created because it was as close as they could get to the appearance of the original without actually just duplicating it exactly (which would have been better).

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: July 22, 2015, 11:58:37 AM

Superficial nods are not really that important.  I expect the old car, the backpack proton pack, "don't cross the streams", "I ain't afraid of no ghosts", fire house, Slimer, etc... to all be there.  So what?  That is just a superficial trapping.  Adam West, Michael Keaton and Christian Bale all wore the bat suit, drove the bat mobile and said, "I'm Batman."  All three of them were different characters in different worlds telling different stories.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: July 22, 2015, 12:51:12 PM

So basically it'll have all the same stuff as the first movie but be totally original as well.   awesome, for real

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: July 22, 2015, 01:56:07 PM

So basically it'll have all the same stuff as the first movie but be totally original as well.   awesome, for real
Sorry... let me say it slower for you... I T   C A N   H A V E   T H E   S A M E    T R A P P I N G S   A N D   S T I L L   B E   V E R Y   D I F F E R E N T.

Let me know if I need to stop using words and resort to just pictures. 

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Ghostbusters reboot.  
Jump to: